As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Game Awards, The Playstation Experience and the end of the year hype train

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    someone mentioned a video of someone playing no man's sky and doing like some mining and stuff, just going around

where is that

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Like, if Jaffe said "I was searching for an edgy word in the moment and that came out and I really regret it. It's a relic of my personality from a time when I was less conscientious a person, I apologize for letting it slip." My response would be "Yes, that is a thing that could happen to a flawed human being, OK, be better". This is just a weird response.

I don't see how "You're right, that's not a cool word to say and I won't be using it anymore." is a weird response?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    BlankZoeSweeney TomPwnanObrienWeedLordVegetamasterofmetroidArtreusA Dabble Of TheloniusCaptainNemoHitsuraptor
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who is alright with them taking however long they need or want to expand more on Persona 5

WeedLordVegeta
    they can take as long as they want

in fact i'd be okay if it never came out

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Grey GhostA Dabble Of TheloniusDJ Eebs
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    This Diablo 3 presentation is pretty interesting.

august on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Am I the only one who is alright with them taking however long they need or want to expand more on Persona 5

Persona games are usually like 100+ hours though.

I'm sure they could spare maybe two minutes of footage right now.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    "Accidentally hit livestream instead of record"

Hrm

CYpGAPn.png
    I am pretty excited for Enter the Gungeon

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    woahhhhhh okay yeah i was wondering about this today

if the planets in no man's sky would just be all nature or have some man made elements on them. i thought it'd be silly to have all this space travel and not have some colonized planets or something

this planet has a little outpost on it so maybe

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    You know, I can understand not caring for the Persona series.

But I find it weird that around these parts, the people who don't care for it seem to dislike it so much that they actively want the games to not exist.

I really don't get that. They're not games that actually deserve that kind of reaction, as far as I can tell.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

But I find it weird that around these parts, the people who don't care for it seem to dislike it so much that they actively want the games to not exist.

I really don't get that. They're not games that actually deserve that kind of reaction, as far as I can tell.

Comedic hyperbole

BalefuegoBroloShadow Demon
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

Persona games are usually like 100+ hours though.

I'm sure they could spare maybe two minutes of footage right now.

I get that, and all, but like...here's my viewpoint, hopefully this makes sense, I'm trying to word it as best I can.

Remember how crazy it was when a new Persona game was announced, and it was...a fighting game with the subtitle The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold? Everybody in this forum following the announcement flipped out immediately, because it was unexpected to say the least. I love stuff like that. And I would be completely fine with this trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt4w4TSWC9E being the only thing I know about the game right up till its release. I like knowing stuff, but I also like intentional crazy mystery, and I just think it'd be cool if a major game series like Persona tried something like that, where you didn't know what to expect out of one of its major releases until it was actually released. Nothing aside from a trailer and a few sentence synopsis maybe.

Sweeney Tom on
    I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that there may be people out there who could be brought into the series with P5 just like there were people who were brought in by 3 or 4.

Like as a fan of the games yeah it's easy for me to say "I don't need to know anything. it exists, therefore I am excited for it and will buy it."

But they should have some information out there in the marketing leading up to release for the benefit of people who aren't already fans.

edited December 2014
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Comedic hyperbole

Bad joke

oh my god in that gang beasts trailer someone straight up sunset flips someone else into the incinerator

gang beasts is the best pro wrestling game ever made for real

-TalSweeney TomBlankZoeEtchwartsmasterofmetroidWeedLordVegetaErin The Red

I assure you my feelings on Persona do not go any further than apathy, I was making a joke

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    People want nonexistence for persona because it's bad

PNk1Ml4.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    People want nonexistence for persona because it's bad

mlyp

liEt3nH.png
    -Tal
    My Little Yiffing Pony is my favorite show

HermanoMoth 13I Win Swordfights
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Like, if Jaffe said "I was searching for an edgy word in the moment and that came out and I really regret it. It's a relic of my personality from a time when I was less conscientious a person, I apologize for letting it slip." My response would be "Yes, that is a thing that could happen to a flawed human being, OK, be better". This is just a weird response.

I don't see how "You're right, that's not a cool word to say and I won't be using it anymore." is a weird response?

That's not the part that's weird (that's a very good part of his response). I personally just think it's sort of implausible to act as though you had no idea that term had that connotation when it is literally "fuck" plus an abbreviated version of the term he's distancing himself from now.

On the other hand, I've since seen other people express surprise about the meaning/etymology of the term so maybe I'm just overestimating how obvious it is.

signature.png

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    someone mentioned a video of someone playing no man's sky and doing like some mining and stuff, just going around

where is that

hello official member of the no man's sky street team here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-kifCYToAU

It's less that he's playing the game and more that he's using a controller and walking/flying around in it

He's not doing resource collection or fighting wildlife, but he is showing the galaxy running in real time rather than the packaged trailers we've been seeing

It's clearly a dev build, and he says a bunch of times that if it were up to him nobody would be seeing this stuff, but I think it's really useful to see

6F32U1X.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I just wish Persona 5 would just skip ahead to the improved portable version so I could play it. <_<

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    I mean that's just how privilege works though, he's never made the connection because he's never been forced to.

He says right there that as soon as it was pointed out to him it became obvious

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    JohnHam
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I hope No Man's Sky doesn't feel too... empty.

I mean it is huuuge.

Really hoping it manages to be reasonably populated with interesting things to do.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »

That's not the part that's weird (that's a very good part of his response). I personally just think it's sort of implausible to act as though you had no idea that term had that connotation when it is literally "fuck" plus an abbreviated version of the term he's distancing himself from now.

On the other hand, I've since seen other people express surprise about the meaning/etymology of the term so maybe I'm just overestimating how obvious it is.

Being on stage in front of a few hundred people can do weird things to peoples brain's.

He fucked up, he realised he fucked up and he apologised.

I don't see why it's still being discussed.

Snowbear
    Also now I can't unsee the draw distance. It's kind of a definite physical limitation with the hardware though, there's only so much machine power you can throw at constantly generating the terrain

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

It's not just Persona

There are people in the last couple pages of this thread that actively don't want an FFVII remake to exist

It's everything, and it's usually jokingly

edited December 2014
    Am I the only person alive that's never once been bothered by draw distance or pop-in

I might notice good draw distance if it's really outstanding, but if it's bad I don't notice it at all until someone points it out

UnbreakableVow on
    nicopernicusHermano
    Am I the only person alive that's never once been bothered by draw distance or pop-in

I might notice good draw distance if it's really outstanding, but if it's bad I don't notice it at all until someone points it out

It's on the lower end of technical pet peeves for me, but there's some people who aren't bothered by screen tearing (my persaonal biggest).

To each their own I guess.

Geth
    One weird case about draw distance is Morrowind

I never noticed it, playing it on the xbox back in the day.

Then of course fast forward to a few years ago and I find out you can just remove the fog entirely

When you do?

Morrowind gets really tiny, really fast

It is kind of bizarre how the fog in that game actually served to make it seem much larger than it actually was.

So I'm just gonna use this thread to talk about all the PS4 games I'm finally catching up on, cool? Cool.

So Infamous Second Son
    Am I killing these guys?
    Like so far it only seems to make it clear when I'm given the choice to like, heal or execute someone
    But when I'm given the option to subdue and I beat them down I get a "surrender denied" message, did I kill that guy?

Headshots with Smoke will stun a guy so I can subdue, but if I just keep hitting him with body shots until he drops did he die from, you know, the fire?

I'm not really bothered personally either way but it seems kinda inconsistent on the morality front

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The pool of available actors gets much smaller when you're doing performance capture for your game

Troy Baker and Nolan North are both REALLY GOOD at performance capture roles

David Hayter was replaced for Metal Gear because while he can certainly do voice acting, he can't hack it for performance capture

Kiefer Sutherland can

not particularly relevant but while catching up on the thread i was reminded of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8XN7eoZr0Y

(Last of Us Spoilers)

Speed Racer on
    Grey GhostErin The Red
    edited December 2014
    So I'm just gonna use this thread to talk about all the PS4 games I'm finally catching up on, cool? Cool.

So Infamous Second Son
    Am I killing these guys?
    Like so far it only seems to make it clear when I'm given the choice to like, heal or execute someone
    But when I'm given the option to subdue and I beat them down I get a "surrender denied" message, did I kill that guy?

Headshots with Smoke will stun a guy so I can subdue, but if I just keep hitting him with body shots until he drops did he die from, you know, the fire?

I'm not really bothered personally either way but it seems kinda inconsistent on the morality front

Execution vs Subdue is color coded. Blue means you subdued the guy, red means you killed them.

Keep in mind this only factors to when the bad guy is on the ground still breathing; kills during battle are considered heat-of-battle casualties and not viewed as good or evil.

CaptainNemo
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    I am really excited for this new Mario Maker!

actually, I am way more excited for most 2015 games than I was in 2014 or even 2013.

I don't know that I can really be super excited for video games anymore the way I used to.

I'd get so hyped, anything and everything was possible. Did you hear about the shit Fable was going to do? Or Spore?

And then these games come out, one after another. And they're not all as dramatically disappointing as Fable or Spore or Sim City.

Even sometimes pretty good games can't live up to what they get built up to.

They come out and they're just video games. They don't change your life, some of them introduce cool new stuff but they usually play pretty similarly to other video games.

You just get kind of beaten down and.. grow up?

So Infamous Second Son
    Am I killing these guys?

Execution vs Subdue is color coded. Blue means you subdued the guy, red means you killed them.

Keep in mind this only factors to when the bad guy is on the ground still breathing; kills during battle are considered heat-of-battle casualties and not viewed as good or evil.

Okay! Good to know
    Now excuse me I'm just going to Dracula back and forth through these vents forever

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    FYI GG, Infamous First Light is going to be free next month as part of PS+

I should just say screw it and play that. Infamous is another game in a long list of series that I want to play the first couple before I get around to the newest one

Artreus wrote: »
    I don't know that I can really be super excited for video games anymore the way I used to.

I'd get so hyped, anything and everything was possible. Did you hear about the shit Fable was going to do? Or Spore?

And then these games come out, one after another. And they're not all as dramatically disappointing as Fable or Spore or Sim City.

Even sometimes pretty good games can't live up to what they get built up to.

They come out and they're just video games. They don't change your life, some of them introduce cool new stuff but they usually play pretty similarly to other video games.

You just get kind of beaten down and.. grow up?

Personally disagree with this

I mean, if you're setting crazy unrealistic expectations for games, sure, but that applies to anything, not just games

But stuff in recent years like Far Cry 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Super Meat Boy, Assassin's Creed II, I mean, they "changed my life" as much as any piece of media is able to

The day I stop getting excited for games and movies will be a sad day indeed, hopefully it never comes

BarcardiPwnanObrien
This discussion has been closed.