Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp] A land of Shadow and Madness (Dungeon World)

24567

Posts

  • CheeselikerCheeseliker regular Registered User regular
    Obelin circles around the melee as a wolf and charges the archer, going for its throat.
    geth roll 2d6+1 for hack n slash

    hack n slash:
    2d6+1 7 [2d6=3, 3]

  • NealnealNealneal regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Rook whips a dagger at the face of the spear wielding creature.
    Geth roll 2d6+2 for Throwing Dagger Volley vs Spearman

    Throwing Dagger Volley vs Spearman:
    2d6+2 8 [2d6=4, 2]

    Nealneal on
  • NealnealNealneal regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    The dagger grazes the creature's cheek causing no real damage. Rook draws his rapier and readies himself for the coming melee.
    Geth roll 1d8-1d4+4 for Throwing Dagger Damage

    Throwing Dagger Damage:
    1d8-1d4+4 2 [1d8=2] [1d4=4]

    Nealneal on
  • NeadenNeaden regular Registered User regular
    The arrrow hits Freya's shield, bouncing off harmlessly much to the frustration of the undead, who still seem focused on the cleric.

    Ovis's spell hits the undead archer just after the arrow, it's armor absorbs some of the impact (armor 1, 3 damage) but bits of bone and flesh are blasted off by the spell.
    Armor 1, 3 damage.
    It screeches in pain, and dropping the bow and pulling out a dagger as Obelin charges it, plunging the dagger into Obelin's side as the wolfs jaws close around it's throat.

    Meanwhile the three undead in formation continue their advance, not breaking as the throwing dagger hits the spearman, causing damage but no pain to it's dead flesh.
    1 armor, 1 damage.
    Geth roll 1d4 for Archer's Damage

    Archer's Damage:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]

  • The BraysterThe Brayster regular UKRegistered User regular
    Rurik, maintaining a close distance from Freya, strikes the nearest undead, making an overhead strike on the nearest Shieldsman.
    Geth roll 2d6+2 for Hack'n'Slash

    Hack'n'Slash:
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=4, 3]

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • The BraysterThe Brayster regular UKRegistered User regular
    The Great-Axe hammers into the top of the swordsmans shield, pushing the shield and the tip of the axe into the chest of his foe.
    Geth roll 1d10 for damage

    damage:
    1d10 8 [1d10=8]

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • BoozerBoozer regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Feeling her prayer fall on deaf ears, Freya mutters in frustration. “Damn it Forge, this isn't the time to be testing your servant. Bless Rurik now!"
    Casting Bless on Rurik. If I get a 7-9 I’ll put myself in a spot.
    Geth roll 2d6+2 for casting Bless on Rurik

    Edit - yeesh, not sure if anyone is interested in an aid roll

    casting Bless:
    2d6+2 6 [2d6=1, 3]

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
    The EverymanThe Brayster
  • The EverymanThe Everyman regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Another blast of spectral energy begins to coalesce in Ovis's palm, nearly reaching peak empowerment before the wizard pauses and dissipates the magic with a waggle of his fingers. Watching the warrior dwarf's incredible blow, Ovis felt confident in his companions ability to handle the situation (or at least shield him from harm for the moment). Instead, the wizard dug about his book bag until he felt the rough, cracked leather of the tome he sought, A Study of Undeath: Smythe's Collection of Essays and Accounts.

    The undead were commonly given animation through an outside source, in all but the most rare of circumstances. Ovis suspected that even if he could not recall a way to combat the undead guardmen at the moment, he could at least discover the cause behind their reanimation or perhaps a way to permanently dispose of them after the battle was over.
    Geth roll 2d6+3 to Spout Lore about the Undead Guardsmen
    -1 Bag of Books use.

    EDIT: At least Freya's getting a leg up on XP!

    to Spout Lore about the Undead Guardsmen:
    2d6+3 10 [2d6=1, 6]

    The Everyman on
    Boozer
  • NeadenNeaden regular Registered User regular
    Rurik's blow staggers the closer undead swordsman, It's armor absorbs some of the blow but you can hear the crack of the bones shattering. Whatever force is powering the skeleton is still possessing it, but it is obviously close to destruction.
    Undead Swordsman has 2 armor, so 6 damage.
    The blow gives the skeleton the opportunity to strike back at Rurik, stabbing it's short sword forward into the dwarf.
    Geth roll 1d6 + 1 for Undead Swordman Damage Roll

    Undead Swordman Damage Roll:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

  • NeadenNeaden regular Registered User regular
    The second undead swordsman takes the opportunity to advance, passing Rurik by while he is distracting and striking Freya as the spell fails.
    Geth roll 1d6+1 for Second Undead Swordsman Damage

    Second Undead Swordsman Damage:
    1d6+1 2 [1d6=1]

  • NeadenNeaden regular Registered User regular
    There are many kinds of undead detailed in Smythe's accounts, and the differences between them can be subtle. These particular undead still have flesh, so they are not skeletons, yet their intelligence and the way they keep moving after serious blows shows they are not the common zombie either. One could be forgiven for thinking they were Draugur. The absence of any frost on their skins though, and the comment about recruitment indicates that they are Revenant's. Undead who died in died in a traumatic experience and are raised up again by a similar even occurring among the living. Revenants are usually to focused on their deaths to be capable of standing around waiting like these ones were though. These four here seem bound, their uniforms, more specifically an emblem on their chest are infused with magic of some kind, providing them purpose and compulsion.
    @Cheeseliker you need a damage roll for the skeleton archer you've pounced on.

  • NealnealNealneal regular Registered User regular
    Since Ovis is Spouting Lore, do we know this info as well?

  • The EverymanThe Everyman regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Ovis announces his insights to the group, in the sort of bored conversational tone one might use to remark upon the obviousness of the weather or compliment the body of a supposedly fine vintage of wine while guest at a dinner party.

    With Smythe's Collection safely returned to his book satchel, Ovis conjures another fistful of arcane energy and hurls it at the swordsman already smashed by the fighter.

    "Well," he adds, after casting his spell. "Rurik? Rook? Those emblems wont destroy themselves... I suggest you remedy that."
    geth roll 2d6+2 to cast Magic Missile
    EDIT - I'll draw attention to myself for the 7-9.

    to cast Magic Missile:
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=3, 4]

    The Everyman on
  • The EverymanThe Everyman regular Registered User regular
    geth roll 2d4 for magic missile damage

    magic missile damage:
    2d4 7 [2d4=3, 4]

  • NeadenNeaden regular Registered User regular
    My bad on something, I forgot that Rurik's signature weapon has +2 peircing, which actually would have killed the first undead. It would still get the chance to hit him so that wouldn 't change. @The everyman , do you want to hit the other swordsman or the spearman? They are both undamged currently.

  • NealnealNealneal regular Registered User regular
    Rook looks back at Ovis and smiles, "Astur's dangling bits..."
    He then darts from behind the dwarves and slashes his rapier at the sigil on the chest of the nearest revenant.
    geth roll 2d6+2 for Hack and Slash vs nearest Revenant

    Hack and Slash vs nearest Revenant:
    2d6+2 6 [2d6=3, 1]

  • BoozerBoozer regular Registered User regular
    Seeing the danger little Rook has put himself in, Freya pauses mid-tirade to bash Rook's target with her shield.
    If it's ok with @Neaden I'm going to try and aid Rook. Normally you're supposed to roll aid at the same time but that's obviously impossible in pbp.

    Geth roll 2d6+1 to aid Rook
    stat block to help keep thing straight. Let me know if my math was off.

    Freya - Armor 1 | HP 20/21
    Ovid - Armor 0 | HP 16/16
    Obelin - Armor 1 | HP 20/21
    Rook - Armor 1 | HP 15/15
    Rurik - Armor 2 | HP 25/25

    Revenant Bow - took 3 damage
    Revenant Spear - took 1 damage
    Revenant Shield 1 - took 8 damage, dead
    Revenant Shield 2 - took 0 damage
    (Ovid and Obelin's last hits still unapplied)

    to aid Rook:
    2d6+1 11 [2d6=4, 6]

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • The EverymanThe Everyman regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Neaden wrote: »
    My bad on something, I forgot that Rurik's signature weapon has +2 peircing, which actually would have killed the first undead. It would still get the chance to hit him so that wouldn 't change. @The everyman , do you want to hit the other swordsman or the spearman? They are both undamged currently.
    I'll target the spearman then.

    EDIT - You keep spelling it Ovid, Boozer. It's Ovis.

    The Everyman on
  • BoozerBoozer regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    "Forge you useless bastard! You send me here to this gods-forsaken Island, and for what? To yell at the sky like a senile old bitch? If you won't bless Rurik, then bless Rook, or so help me..."
    Geth roll 2d6+2 to Bless Rook

    Sorry about the name misspellings
    stat block to help keep thing straight. Let me know if my math was off.

    Freya - Armor 1 | HP 20/21 (-1 to cast a spell)
    Ovis - Armor 0 | HP 16/16
    Obelin - Armor 1 | HP 20/21
    Rook - Armor 1 | HP 15/15 (Blessed +1 ongoing)
    Rurik - Armor 2 | HP 25/25

    Revenant Bow - Armor 1 | took 3 damage
    Revenant Spear - Armor 1 | took 7 damage
    Revenant Shield 1 - Armor 2 | took 8 damage, dead
    Revenant Shield 2 - Armor 2 | took 0 damage
    ( Obelin and Rook's last hits still unapplied)

    to Bless Rook:
    2d6+2 13 [2d6=6, 5]

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Sorry, forgot.
    Geth roll 1d6+1 damage

    damage:
    1d6+1 6 [1d6=5]

    Cheeseliker on
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Obelin tears the flesh of the zombie's throat out, before leaping away, blood seeping out of his side.
    19/21 hp

    He snarls before leaping in to hamstring the creature.
    Geth roll 2d6+1 to hamstring

    to hamstring:
    2d6+1 5 [2d6=3, 1]

    Cheeseliker on
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker regular Registered User regular
    The archer whirls about, managing to keep Obelin at bay.

  • NeadenNeaden regular Registered User regular
    Ovid's magical blast hits the undead spearmen square in the chest, destroying emblem and whatever force was keeping the corpse active.
    Meanwhile Obelin's tearing at the archer's neck has managed to completely sever it's head and it's wild thrashing grows still.

    The last undead screeches in pain at Rook's hit and lashes back at the Thief before it begins to retreat into the woods.
    Geth roll 1d6+1 for Undead Swordsman Damage

    Undead Swordsman Damage:
    1d6+1 3 [1d6=2]

  • The EverymanThe Everyman regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Ovis tut-tuts quietly to himself as the undead guard flees, flinging a final blast of spectral power after it.
    geth roll 2d6+2 to cast magic missile

    for 7-9, I'll attract unwanted attention

    geth roll 2d4 for magic missile damage

    to cast magic missile:
    2d6+2 7 [2d6=3, 2]
    magic missile damage:
    2d4 4 [2d4=2, 2]

    The Everyman on
  • The BraysterThe Brayster regular UKRegistered User regular
    Rurik gives off a laugh as he hauls his axe over his shoulder.

    "Ha! Look at it run!"

    He looks down at the now motionless corpses, giving one a slight kick.

    "I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed. Woulda though the lack of human mindset would make them better fighters"

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker regular Registered User regular
    Obelin sniffs the dead archer and keeps his wolf senses alert for any more danger.

  • NealnealNealneal regular Registered User regular
    Rook groans, sheathes his rapier, and stretches the shoulder that was hit by the foul dead thing. Then he retrieves his throwing dagger.

    As he replaces it in his belt sheath he laughs, "Well Ironbeard, sometimes we have to live with disappointment. Let's see if we can't figure out what those things were on about."

  • BoozerBoozer regular Registered User regular
    Freya stows her hammer and shield, then makes the Sign of the Anvil over each of the corpses. "May you find new purpose at the Forge."

    Freya then studies the corpses and their belongings, looking for clues to their origin.
    Geth roll 2d6+2 for discern realities

    answer questions in this order (so only the first if I get less than 10):
    Who’s really in control here?
    What should I be on the lookout for?
    What is about to happen?

    discern realities:
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=3, 4]

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • NeadenNeaden regular Registered User regular
    The final undead stumbles under the blow of Ovid's magic, but it continues to run, making it to the tree line and safety.
    Above it in the tree's Ovid, you see an Owl making eye contact directly with you for a moment, its eyes betraying intelligence beyond that of a simple animal. After a few moments it flies off into the woods.

    Obelin, the undead show no sign of any further action. The woods are still here with no sign of any danger.

    Freya, inside the pockets of the undead spearman you find a parchment with writing on it.
    "Sgt. Malakim, by my authority as Baronet I order you to set up a tollstation to take tax from travelers and recruit those able to fight. Victory shall be ours.
    -Donovan"

  • The EverymanThe Everyman regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Ovis frowns sullenly as the final undead makes its escape, and the ominous gaze cast upon him by the owl does little to improve his disposition.

    Oblivious to the reverent sanctity displayed by the cleric, Ovis approaches the fallen guardsmen and nudges none to gently at their belts with his boot, listening for the telltale jingle of coin. Once satisfied with his search, the wizard falls into a crouch beside one of the undead. Ovis rapidly murmurs something rhythmically under his breath, like a poem or chant. Then, with far more ceremony than used to fling spells earlier, he deliberately presses the tips of his index and middle fingers against the corpse's forehead, lips, and throat.
    Geth roll 2d6+2 to cast Speak With The Dead
    "A corpse converses with you briefly. It will answer any three questions you pose to it to the best of the knowledge it had in life and the knowledge it gained in death."

    EDIT - Failure :/

    Ovis remains poised over the corpse with his eyes closed for several moments. Finally, he snorts derisively and practically leaps away from the body. "What a waste of time," he mutters.

    to cast Speak With The Dead:
    2d6+2 5 [2d6=1, 2]

    The Everyman on
  • The BraysterThe Brayster regular UKRegistered User regular
    Rurik gives a slightly concerned stare at Ovid as he does... whatever it is he was doing.

    "Ovis... are you... okay, friend? You're doing that thing again, it's creeping me out"

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • The EverymanThe Everyman regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    "That thing, Rurik, would be spellcraft," Ovis retorts, finding a vent for his frustrations. "To be specific, the experimental translation of codified funerary scripture into a formulaic spell format capable of empowerment by entirely arcane forces. Forgive the simplified explanation, but I am vexed. My previous trials have produced repeatable and reliable results, so I am wholly confounded by the faulty spellwork. I'll have to review my notes on the divine ritual substitution theory of energy, when I have the time, of course..."

    Ovis continues to speak, his babble fading into low mumbles to himself, occasionally punctuated by wild hand gestures and angered expressions.

    The Everyman on
  • NeadenNeaden regular Registered User regular
    Ovis, as you vent to Rurik you fail to notice that your spell is having a delayed effect on the revenant. With your back turn it springs to life for just a moment, lurching forward at your. It's mouth has been enlivened by your magic, but instead of speaking it bites your leg, drawing blood.
    Geth roll 1d4 damage for Undead Bite

    Undead Bite:
    1d4 4 [1d4=4]

  • NeadenNeaden regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Your search of the formerly undead now just dead corpses is more successful. There is a map of the area, old but well preserved. You are able to locate your current position easily, the village is not far, along with a fort, a few watchtowers, and a cave all within a days travel. There are also 15 coins in their pouches and a small sapphire, which would probably be worth 80 coins or so. Most interestingly is an Thieve Candle. A fairly common magical item, the light from the candle is visible only to the wielder and invisible to anyone else nearby. (1 Use, 0 Weight).
    Geth Roll 4d6 for loot

    loot:
    4d6 14 [4d6=2, 4, 3, 5]

    Neaden on
  • BoozerBoozer regular Registered User regular
    Freya shares the note she finds with the rest of the party, and watches Ovis' spellcraft with perplexed interest. She smirks at his attempt to remove the Gods from matters of the soul. Still, her own failures are fresh enough to keep her humble.

    "Stay dead you filthy beast!" Freya says, kicking the revived Revenant off of Ovis' leg, where it limply collapses.

    "Let me have a look, Wizard." The Cleric says, whispering a soft prayer of healing. "Forge, forgive us both our hubris."
    Geth roll 2d6+2;1d8 for cure light wounds and HP recovered.
    If I get less than 10, I'll be put in a spot.

    cure light wounds and HP recovered:
    2d6+2 8 [2d6=4, 2]
    1d8 6 [1d8=6]

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • The EverymanThe Everyman regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    "There is no hubris in yearning for a higher understanding of this world. Speak only for yourself, Freya," Ovis says unapologetically, even as the cleric's magic knits the gash in his leg. "You, ah, do have my thanks though..." he adds, trailing off as he casts a glance down at the now motionless corpse.

    Giving the map a brief once over, Ovis tosses it into Freya's arms. "Think this Donovan from your note is nearby? Perhaps the fort?"

    While the others look over the map, Ovis unabashedly pockets the sapphire, and then divvies up the 15 coins between the party (3 each). "Debt collected, a death accepted," he murmurs to himself in a sing-song cadence while jingling the coins, as though recounting a childhood addage.

    The Everyman on
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker regular Registered User regular
    Obelin ignores the foolish mage's useless words. He tries to sniff out the trail of the undead that ran away.

  • BoozerBoozer regular Registered User regular
    "The health of your body and soul are two sides of the same coin. I'll pray for either when I feel the need." Freya said matter-of-factly.

    "Only place fit for a Baronet would be the Fort, I guess. But is that where we should head first?" The Cleric says, catching the map.

    Freya kneels, unrolling the map onto a smooth rock in front of her. "Forge, give me a sign, that we may restore the dead to their rightful place at the Anvil." Freya then digs her nails into the wound in her forearm, to temper her will with suffering.
    Trying for divine guidance to get a hint as to the best place to go first.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • NealnealNealneal regular Registered User regular
    Rook snickers at the casters' antics and says "You two, always going at each other like an old married couple. Ovis, I hope you haven't used up all of your magical juju."

  • NeadenNeaden regular Registered User regular
    Freya, as you feel the healing energy you also sense some reluctance of some kind from Forge. Your diety will require a service from you soon to stay in his good graces. After praying to Forge for guidance you sense great suffering towards the village. and a place damaged by darkness.

    Obelin, the undead's scent is easy enough to track, these woods may seem cursed at times but the stench of undeath still stands out like a brightly lit trail. It is heading North and fast, moving straight through the forest and not following any path. If you get a look at the map you will see that it is heading in the direction of the Fort. You also smell undeath west of here, many by the smell of it, towards the village.

Sign In or Register to comment.