Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp] A land of Shadow and Madness (Dungeon World)

12467

Posts

  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    As Rurik is distracted by the first arrow another one comes in lower, whether by aim or chance it strikes him, wounding the thief.
    Geth roll 1d6

    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Freya's prayers are answered by the healing spell, the bleeding stops and the young man thank you effusively. It seems to raise the spirit of the other villagers around you as well. The loud cracking noise that the gate makes when it is hit again by the battering ram diminishes the effect though, as people begin to scramble to reinforce the barricade.

    Rurik when you get to the top of the wall you too can see the zombies manning the battering ram. You can quickly see that the zombies are dependent totally on the orders of the other undead, every movement corresponds to a barked out order. The good news is that you don't see any ladders or any way of scaling the wall, but the bad news is that from your angle you can clearly see that the gate is not taking the hits well, and will not be able to stand for much longer.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Rook squeals a little as the arrow pierces his leather thigh armor.

    He looks over to Rurik and smiles sheepishly... "We can't all be made of stone like a dwarf you know."

    He then throws another knife at the commanding undead finding his target and striking the commander in the throat.
    Rook is at 14 HP unless we didn't get enough rest and then I believe he is at 12
    Geth roll 2d6+2 for Volley vs. Commander
    Geth roll 1d8+4 for Damage vs. Commander

    Volley vs. Commander:
    2d6+2 12 [2d6=6, 4]
    Damage vs. Commander:
    1d8+4 10 [1d8=6]

    Nealneal on
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Rook is the thief, not Rurik. Rurik has stolen nothing! (Similar names and all that, I can see why the authorities might chase the wrong person).

    "Damnit Rook! Keep your head down! You're small enough!"

    Rurik takes one last glance out beyond the wall before bellowing back down to the men below.

    "The undead are almost through! Form up and stop them from moving further in! I'm coming back down"

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Obelin shapeshifts into a hawk. He takes wing, waiting for an opportunity to strike the undead commanders.

    geth roll 2d6+2

    Hold 3

    2d6+2 10 [2d6=6, 2]

    Cheeseliker on
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Nealneal wrote: »
    Rook is at 14 HP unless we didn't get enough rest and then I believe he is at 12

    Yeah it would be helpful to me to know where we are at HP-wise, since it'll determine my next move.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Sorry about that, I could have sworn I posted something about. This attack is coming late enough in the night that you all Made a Camp and can heal half your max hp if you use a ration, spend a coin to buy food at the inn, or helped out at the temple.

    Rook's dagger severs the undead's spine and knows off its head. The rest of the body collapses in a heap and the zombie stand motionless for a moment after finishing their last command. The remaining Revenant takes over giving commands however, raising it's shield up and facing Rook to shield itself from any more daggers.

    Inside about a dozen villagers assemble in a rough semi circle around the gate. Most of them have a shield and a spear and seem somewhat prepared for battle, but their discipline is not high. The village headman is nowhere to be seen.

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Freya joins the villagers at the gate, shield in one hand and the talisman around her neck clasped in the other, and prays for the Forge's favor for Rurik.
    Geth roll 2d6+2 to Bless Rurik.
    Put myself in a spot on 7-9.

    Edit - I'll maintain the spell so Rurik gets +1 ongoing, and I get -1 ongoing for spellcasting.

    to Bless Rurik.:
    2d6+2 7 [2d6=4, 1]

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Obelin spies one of the undead commanders from above and dive bombs, raking his claws across the undead's face.
    geth roll 2d6+1 hack n slash, 1d6+1 damage

    hack n slash:
    2d6+1 7 [2d6=1, 5]

    Cheeseliker on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    @Cheeseliker in terms of moves for a Hawk I think Striking Your Prey From Above should be a move for a Hawk, so if you want to spend a hold to do your damage without rolling that would be good. Any other ideas for Hawk-Moves?

    With Obelin's attack the pounding on the wall stops, the zombies standing still without their orders. The brief respite of calm is shattereted with a young woman simply steps through the gate. Her skin is pale, almost like milk and her hair is black and clings to her skin. She stand their motionless for a moment before screaming. The scream drowns out all other noises, it is a sound of pure fear, despair, and rage. Several of the villagers in the circle run away and the others are shaken.

  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    Ovis turns another brittle, dusty page in his spellbook, oblivious to the chaos outside the tavern. It's only as his final candle sputters out that the wizard's sense seep back into reality. The shouts and screams from outside give him pause, and only when the noise rises in intensity does Ovis begrudgingly wander out from the tavern.

    "Oh," he says flatly. "They've brought a banshee?" As a few of the villagers rush past him Ovis chews at his lip, trying to dredge up lessons from the Temple of Debts and Death about the vengeful undead.
    geth roll 2d6+2 to Spout Lore about the assumed Banshee

    to Spout Lore about the assumed Banshee:
    2d6+2 5 [2d6=1, 2]

  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    The woman turns to Ovis as he stands calm amidst the panic. She locks eyes with him for a moment before her visage changes into a hostile mask and lunges forward, moving towards the wizard quickly, passing through some panicking villagers. This causes even more panic as the crowd is unsure where to run, the villagers screams have cut Ovis and the ghost from the rest of the party.

    Meanwhile outside the archers have moved forwards and begun to shout orders at the Zombies renew their assault on the gate.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Rook is shaken by the apparition and yells, "Freya!!! I don't like that thing! Pleasedosomethingaboutit!"

    He then whips a dagger at one of the archers that have stepped up to command the zombies...
    geth roll 2d6+2 for Volley vs. Archer
    geth roll 1d8+4 for Damage vs. Archer

    Volley vs. Archer:
    2d6+2 8 [2d6=4, 2]
    Damage vs. Archer:
    1d8+4 12 [1d8=8]

    Nealneal on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Since he is distracted by the ghost/banshee/spirit girl, Rook has to take what he can get and hits the archer square in the chest instead of the throat.
    geth roll 12-1d6 for Final Damage vs Archer

    Final Damage vs Archer:
    12-1d6 11 [1d6=1]

    Nealneal on
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Freya nods to Rook as she steels her spine from the mindless reflexes of fear, heading through the crowd of screaming villagers towards Ovis and the apparition.
    I'm assuming that I need to roll Defy Danger to get to Ovis. Once I get to him I'll try to Turn Undead. If I didn't need to roll defy danger, use the roll for Turn undead instead.

    Geth roll 2d6+2 to Defy Danger using Wisdom

    to Defy Danger using Wisdom:
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=5, 2]

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Ovis back peddles as the furious spirit closes in. The wizard raises his hand in a hurried gesture, sketching the arcane symbols for his magic missile sloppily in the air.
    geth roll 2d6+2 to Cast Magic Missile
    geth roll 2d4 for Magic Missile damage
    On a 7+, I'll draw attention to myself

    If needed that roll can stand for a Defy Danger, your call Neaden

    to Cast Magic Missile:
    2d6+2 8 [2d6=3, 3]
    Magic Missile damage (if a hit):
    2d4 7 [2d4=4, 3]

    The Everyman on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Another of the undead falls to Rook's knives. The remaining archer draws an arrow and aim's it straight at the thief, giving you a brief opportunity to take action.

    Freya strives to get through the crowd, which is on the verge of becoming a mob in the panic. You are almost through when you see a small child who has fallen in the confusion, more people are coming and the boy could be trampled. You could get to him in time, but then you would be going away from the Banshee, and have to figure out what to do once you got him.

    Meanwhile Ovis' spell rips into the Banshee's translucent flesh, damaging the ghost's spiritual body. She shrieks in pain and rage at the blow, the force of the shriek aimed at the wizard who caused it as the screams impacts Ovis, causing his ears to bleed and his body to shake.
    Geth roll 1d10 for Banshee's Scream Attacking Ovis

    Banshee's Scream Attacking Ovis:
    1d10 4 [1d10=4]

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Without hesitation, Freya turns back into the crowd to save the child. Though almost half her height, the cleric is able to carry him without issue. She heads back toward Ovis, eyes scanning the area for a safe place for the child.
    Geth roll 2d6+2 to Discern realities

    What here is useful or valuable to me?
    What is about to happen?
    What should I be on the lookout for?

    to Discern realities:
    2d6+2 11 [2d6=5, 4]

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Rook spies the archer drawing a bead on him. Out of daggers and out of options, he draws his rapier. Then with the grace of an acrobat, he jumps down off the wall.
    Geth roll 2d6+2 for Defy Danger with Dexterity
    On 7-9, I'll take the Hard Choice

    Defy Danger with Dexterity:
    2d6+2 11 [2d6=5, 4]

  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Ovis clamps his long sleeves over his ears, although it is far too little too late. Pulling his hands away, the fabric of his robe is stained with dark streaks of blood, causing the wizard to shudder involuntarily once more. Momentarily he considers fleeing alongside the villagers, finding some place to stow away and wait out the battle. The banshee was already upon him though, and Ovis doubted he could evade her wrath for long.

    No, no that wouldn't do. Better to make peace through superior spellcraft. Ovis reaches deep into his reserves, carves the glowing spectral glyphs into reality, and blasts the undead creature with another magic missile.
    geth roll 2d6+2 to cast Magic Missile
    geth roll 2d4 for Magic Missile Damage (if a hit)

    Magic Missile Damage (if a hit)[/spoilers]:
    2d4 5 [2d4=3, 2]

    The Everyman on
  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Messed up that spoiler tag, let's try that again:
    geth roll 2d6+2 to Cast Magic Missile

    edit: Good god, I can't type.
    On the 7+, I'll take a -1 to future spell casting until I rest

    to Cast Magic Missile[/spoiler[:
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=6, 1]

    The Everyman on
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Before Rurik has so much as laid a foot of the top rung of the ladder, he turns round to see that Rook has vanished.

    "Oh bloody hell, not this again!"

    Running to look over the wall, Rurik sees the halfling land on the ground on the other side.

    "Reckless little idiot!"

    Taking a short run up, Rurik leaps from the wall in an attempt to rush to the aid of Rook.

    This is probably going to hurt
    Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Defy Danger (Constitution)

    Defy Danger (Constitution):
    2d6+1 11 [2d6=4, 6]

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Somehow landing on his feet without injury, Rurik runs to the side of Rook

    "I wish you'd bloody well tell me when you do this kind of thing. We Dwarves are built for Strength, not Speed!"

    Rurik raises Sofia in a poised position
    Geth roll 2d6+1 to Defend Rook

    to Defend Rook:
    2d6+1 6 [2d6=3, 2]

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    @The Brayster‌ Don't forget that Rurik is getting a +1 to all rolls during the battle until Freya stops maintaining the Bless spell

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
    The Brayster
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Well, that will certainly make that action a little less anti-climatic.

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
    Boozer
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Despite the grim reality of the situation, Rook grins and laughs gleefully back at Rurik, "Ironbeard, where would the fun be in that? If I didn't get into trouble for you to pull me out of, you'd die of boredom in a week!"

  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    That sounds great! Will definitely spend one hold for that. I think [Take to Wing] might be a good move for a bird?

    The Everyman
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    geth roll 1d6+1 for damage

    damage:
    1d6+1 2 [1d6=1]

  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Freya
    What here is useful or valuable to me? The villagers here who have formed the watch are brave men and women, but unlead right now. They could help.
    What is about to happen? You see that the gate is about to break, and the villagers are on the verge of panicking and fleeing if the zombies get through.
    What should I be on the lookout for? Different undead acting like this, a banshee coming into a village to attack, it doesn't fit with what you have learned about the undead. There is something powerful controlling them, something dangerous.

    As Rook drops down an arrow goes past his head, missing the thief before Rurik joins Rook on the ground. The undead archers issues another command to the zombies to use the battering ram against the gate and draws a sword. The gate splinters after the blow, barely holding up. Meanwhile behind the Revenant the other undead continues to fight Obelin, currently in hawk form. It grabs a large branch on the ground near and begins to flail it at the Druid.

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Freya inhales deeply, gathering breath so that her voice might carry over the chaos.

    "Man the Gate, for Elefsina!" She yells, raising the child in her arms, so the villagers could see what was at stake.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Obelin flies out of reach of the undead, before dropping once again, raking claws across the undead archer's eyes.
    Spend 1 hold. 1 left. Need I roll Defy Danger? I may just spend my last hold to Take To Wing, get back behind the walls and shapeshift back to human.

    geth roll 1d6+1 damage.

    damage.:
    1d6+1 5 [1d6=4]

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Keeping an eye out for other threats, Rook darts towards the undead archer and stabs ineffectually at the dead thing. His rapier sticks momentarily into the tough flesh and Rook struggles to pull it out.
    Geth roll 2d6+2 for Hack and Slash with Rapier
    Geth roll 1d8 for Damage vs. Archer

    I just realized that you're not supposed to add your stat mod to damage rolls! I am so sorry. Won't happen again!

    Hack and Slash with Rapier:
    2d6+2 8 [2d6=5, 1]
    Damage vs. Archer:
    1d8 1 [1d8=1]

    Nealneal on
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    "That... is not how you deal with these things, young one"

    Rurik charges the Undead Archer, swinging Sofia with force.
    Geth roll 2d6+3 for Hack and Slash
    Geth roll 1d10 for Damage vs Archer

    Hack and Slash:
    2d6+3 11 [2d6=6, 2]
    Damage vs Archer:
    1d10 8 [1d10=8]

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    Neaden, did you miss my last post in your reply?

  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Neaden, did you miss my last post in your reply?
    Sorry about that, I did forget to reply.
    The Banshee howls as Ovis' second magical attack rips into it before it flies backward, retreating from the wizard and passing through the crowd and townsfolk that Freya is rallying, moving towards the gate.

    Outside of the wall the first archer again has it's dead flesh ripped by a hawk. The damage which might have crippled a living man ultimately is not enough to stop something with no blood to lose or pain to feel.
    Assuming you are spending your last two hold to attack and then Take Wing.
    The second archer doesn't even attempt to block Rook's attack, but instead just immediately counterattacks with it's short sword, striking at the thief.
    Geth roll 1d6+1 for Stabbing Skeleton.
    It's victory is short lived as Sofia strikes it's body, breaking through the old armor, and shattering ribs and spine. The undead falls to the ground motionless.

    Stabbing Skeleton:
    1d6+1 6 [1d6=5]

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Ouch! Rook is not happy about that.
    So we have a bunch of zombies standing around doing nothing. How many archers left now that two are down?

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    "By the Anvil, I can't believe that worked." Freya says to herself.

    "Gate! Gate!" The young child in her arms yells, entirely too pleased to be heading to the frontlines.

    "Sorry young warrior, maybe next time." The cleric says, handing him to an older man that seems to recognize the child. "Get somewhere safe." Freya tells them.

    Freya climbs the gate, smiling in relief to see Rook and Rurik still standing. The pool of blood at Rook's feet cut the smile short. She jumps down to join them.

    "Boys, the idea of a gate is to stay on the other side." The cleric says with a smirk, touching Rook's arm. "Forge, mend this brave soul's wounds."
    Dropping the Bless spell on Rurik, so I can cast at without penalty.
    Geth roll 2d6+2;1d8 to cast Cure Light Wounds on Rook

    I tried to keep track of the damage so far, this is what I have:
    Rook: Armor 1 | HP 13/15
    Ovis: Armor 0 | HP 12/16
    Freya: Armor 1 | HP 21/21
    Obelin: Armor 1 | HP 21/21
    Rurik: Armor 2 | HP 25/25

    edit - added 4 HP back to Rook

    Rook:
    2d6+2 10 [2d6=5, 3]
    1d8 4 [1d8=4]

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
    NealnealThe EverymanThe Brayster
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    "By the Flames of the Forge, leave this place!" Freya yells, brandishing her holy talisman.
    Since the spell went off with a 10, might as well thin the numbers.

    Geth roll 2d6+2 to Turn Undead
    edit - I had to push it...

    to Turn Undead:
    2d6+2 6 [2d6=2, 2]

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    Ovis manages to force a smug smile on his lips despite the residual trembles still shivering through him. He gives chase after the banshee, trotting (none too quickly) after her towards the gates as he pushes through the crowds. "Stop her!" he shouts to no one in particular. "If the banshee flees she may rouse more of the dead!"

  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Nealneal wrote: »
    Ouch! Rook is not happy about that.
    So we have a bunch of zombies standing around doing nothing. How many archers left now that two are down?
    There is one archer left, the one Obelin was attacking is still undead.

    The Banshee continues its flight past the guardmen and passes through the gate. It stops and turns to Freya at the sound of her prayers before letting loose with a final terrible scream aimed at the Cleric. It hesitates in the presence of the motionless zombies, seemingly unsure of what to do.
    Geth roll 1d10 for Banshee Scream at Freya.

    The last archer on the other hand shows no indecision but draws its bow and arrow, aiming at Rurik.

    Banshee Scream at Freya:
    1d10 7 [1d10=7]

    Neaden on
Sign In or Register to comment.