Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp] A land of Shadow and Madness (Dungeon World)

123457»

Posts

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Freya hands her warhammer to Rurik unceremoniously. "Try not to break my hammer, I may need to use it later." Freya was familiar with the dwarf's destructive capabilities, it was time to put them to good use on this obstacle.

    "As for the light, allow me." The cleric said, as she began a quiet prayer over her shield.
    Sorry for the long delay in posting. Pinging @The Brayster to use Bend Bars Lift Gates on the floor.

    Geth roll 2d6+2 to cast light on my shield

    Edit - for my 7-9 roll I'll forget the spell

    my shield:
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=3, 4]

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Freya's light shines down into the room below, illuminating it. Below is a scene of ruin, a small room with a few decaying chairs and a collapsed table. You can see two doors in the room, both closed for now and a chest on one side. Other then that the room seems fairly empty. The ceiling, and thus from your perspective the floor, is low. A tall human would have to worry about bumping their head, but you all should be able to get down easily.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Rook scrambles down into the room.

  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Obelin follows, wary of an ambush once they drop.

  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Rurik accepts the hammer from Freya, giving it a few practice swings as he speaks.

    "I say we open a nice, wide hole here. I want to see more of what's down there before we go down"

    Rurik gives a slight pause.

    "... I'm a Dwarf, trust me, I know how holes work"
    Geth roll 2d6+2 for Bend Bars, Lift Gates

    Bend Bars, Lift Gates:
    2d6+2 14 [2d6=6, 6]

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    GREAT SUCCESS

    Rurik finishes his practice swings and brings down the hammer in one swift movement.
    For the 3 conditions of the action, I pick

    It doesn't take a long time

    Nothing of Value is Damaged

    It doesn't make an inordinate amount of noise

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    I'm going to assume Rurik opens the floor and everyone follows, if anyone wants to remain on top just say so.
    The immediate room you encounter does not appear to have any threats, though it is pretty cozy once all of you are inside. The table doesn't seem to have been used any time in the past years, and the chest over by the side likewise does not show any sign of recent use, though a hard-won sense of paranoia tells all of you that that can be faked easily enough.
    One door is on the rooms western side, the other on the southern. Both doors are closed, and the southern door appears to be bolt shot from your side of the door. The doors are well made, but as poorly taken care of as everything else in here seems to be. From the western door you can hear muttering, at least two distinct voices in the other room, but you cannot tell what they are saying, or who they might be. They don't seem to have reacted to you coming down here.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Rook, unable to avoid his true nature, will survey the room and especially the chest for traps.
    Geth roll 2d6+2 for Trap Expert

    Trap Expert:
    2d6+2 8 [2d6=4, 2]

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Freya nods at Rurik's impressive work before taking back her warhammer with a smile and following the rest of her companions below.

    After Rook checks the room (and chest) for traps, she takes a moment to listen in on the conversation happening on the other side of the door.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Rook is unable to investigate the room fairly easily, most of it consists of bare stone. The chest itself takes more time to investigate, as do the two doors in the room. The doors are untrapped, as is the chest itself. The floor underneath the chest however is a mechanism of some sort. Changing the weight of the chest will presumably set off the trap.
    The chest can be opened safely, there are several sets of scale armor inside, as well as a short sword and a small jewel that looks like it might be worth a decent amount in the market. You could probably swap out a similarly weighted item for the jewel, removing anything else will require disabling the trap.

    Rook, pressing your ears to the door you are able to make out the occasional word, but not the whole conversation. "The master---reclamation--rightful---fools." The conversation ends at that point, except for another muttered remark a few moments later followed by a chuckle. Whoever is there hasn't left.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Rook looks around the room for something to replace the gem, not seeing anything interesting he vows to return and disable the trap when he has more time. He then signals to Rurik, and steps back from the door.

  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Rurik nods to Rook. The fact that the halfling didn't utter a word told Rurik all he needed to know about the presence in the other room.

    Gripping his axe with both hands, Rurik silently yet aggressively storms towards the door, raising a leg to kick the door from its hinges.
    Geth, Roll 2d6+2 for Bend Bars, lift gates on the Door

    Bend Bars, lift gates:
    2d6+2 8 [2d6=2, 4]

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    It doesn't take a very long time, nothing of value is damaged

    "HERE'S RURIK!"

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
    NealnealBoozer
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    The doors hinges are old and have not been cared for, Rurik's kick breaks them with a loud snap and the entire door hits the ground with a very loud bang. This is followed by a much quieter noise as a ghoul on the other side drops the bone it was holding. The creature is hunched over and pale, dressed in the remains of what was at one time a nice set of traveling clothes, now torn and stained. The clothes are not as old as those that the Revenants were wearing though. A second ghoul, a woman who is similarly dressed, is a short distance back, standing in shock next to a tall, proud looking figure. This creature has the pallor of the undead but is wearing a relatively pristine outfit, dusty and dirty in places but the fine blue cloth of it's shirt would not look out of place on a prosperous merchant back in the village.
    Rurik's assault on the door has taken all three of the undead by surprise, you have the opportunity now to react quickly to take advantage of the situation.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Rook swiftly follows Rurik into the room an lauches one of his throwing knives at the female ghoul.
    Geth roll 2d6+3 for Volley vs. Female Ghoul

    Volley vs. Female Ghoul:
    2d6+3 10 [2d6=2, 5]

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Geth roll 1d8+2 for Damage vs. Female Ghoul

    Damage vs. Female Ghoul:
    1d8+2 5 [1d8=3]

    Nealneal on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    The ghoul grunts in pain as the dagger lands in her shoulder, grabbing at the wound and stumbling. The closer ghoul is too shocked to react right away, but after Rook's attack it moves forward, towards Rurik and Rook. Meanwhile the taller figure walks forward deliberately, not rushing but with long confident strides. "Lunch is served my darlings." it calls out.

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Brandishing her shield and holy symbol, Freya stands shoulder to shoulder with Rurik, determined to hold the advancing undead at bay.

    "The only thing you'll be tasting is bitter defeat." Freya said. "Flee before the cleansing light of the Forge."
    Geth roll 2d6+2 to turn undead.

    to turn undead.:
    2d6+2 7 [2d6=2, 3]

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Obelin follows into the fray, stepping beside his companions, wielding his staff. "Fear not, unnatural creature, we will release you from your cage of flesh."

  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    The closer ghoul screams at Freya's light, but the tall figure simply glances around the room before walking over to and picking up a chair nearbye. "Free us? From immortality? From immunity to all disease? Never needing to sleep? To fear the hated orcs? There is nothing to free us from wizard." He says as picks up the chair and prepares to throw it at Freya.

  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    "NO!"

    Rurik stands between Freya and the taller figure, his axe raised and at the ready
    Can I smash it in mid-air?

    Plllleeeeaaaassseeee?

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Sounds like you are defending, roll +con

  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 2d6+1 to smash chair

    to smash chair:
    2d6+1 6 [2d6=3, 2]

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    If it's ok with @neaden I'll roll to aid the defense roll. Normally you need to say that ahead of time I think, but due to the timing complexities of pbp many Dungeon World GM's on here will allow an aid roll after the fact.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    sounds good, roll away @Boozer

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Not content to sit idly by as Rurik leapt to her rescue, Freya aided him with traditional dwarven encouragement.

    "By the Forge Rurik, how many times do I have to knock it into your thick skull? Stop showing off and use both hands!" Freya said.
    Geth roll 2d6+1 to aid Rurik

    to aid Rurik:
    2d6+1 9 [2d6=3, 5]

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    The undead figure throws the chair at Freya, but Rurik, spurred on by Freya's words, steps forward and intercepts the chair with his axe. Knocking the chair harmlessly to the ground. The tall undead screams in rage briefly losing it's self control for a moment before resuming it's previous poise. The ghouls both warily stand back away from your group, unwilling to get close to Freya's light but unable to see a way to attack.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Dodging around behind his larger allies, Rook whips another dagger towards the female ghoul...
    Geth roll 2d6+3 for Volley vs Female Ghoul

    Volley vs Female Ghoul:
    2d6+3 8 [2d6=1, 4]

    Nealneal on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    ...and catches her in the chest with his second dagger.
    Rook will take what he can get and reduce the damage by 1d4
    Geth roll 1d8-1d4+2 for Damage vs Female Ghoul

    Damage vs Female Ghoul:
    1d8-1d4+2 4 [1d8=5] [1d4=3]

    Nealneal on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    The ghoul hisses in pain once more before fleeing through a doorway to your right.
    "Coward!" The tall figure shouts after her before scanning the room, hoping to find something to use against your group.

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Freya considers drawing her hammer to end the stalemate, when she realizes that the undead must flee before the light of the Forge.

    The cleric motioned for her companions to lower their weapons as she headed for the exit the female ghoul had fled through, her prayers continuing unabated.
    So as long as I keep praying an undead can only attack if you attack it first. Not sure how many doors there are but I figure the door the ghoul fled through is as good as any.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    The taller undead lets out a scream of frustration before turning to the male ghoul. "Get the wolves to deal with these scum!" The ghoul takes off a run after his command through the same door the female ghoul left through. The tall figure then follows, walking backwards with it's eyes still fixed on your group.

  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Realized I never gave any room description, sorry.
    You now have the chance to examine the room more closely. There are three doors, the one you came in, the one to the left that the undead left through that is still open, and a closed door on the opposite side of you.
    There is a large table in the middle of the room, with some plates and cups on it. As you get closer you can see bits of brain and raw flesh on several of the plates, you can't tell if it is animal or a person.
    On the wall to your right is a large tapestry, more well cared for then the other items you have seen with some effort having recently gone to restoring parts of it. It shows a proud looking man in armor slaying an orc. Behind him are a group of women, children and old men. There are other orcs in the tapestry, their savagery and teeth exaggerated from real life to make them seem more monstrous.

  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    "Freya, we may soon face something your powers cannot turn away. Be ready."

123457»
Sign In or Register to comment.