As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Yakuza] & [Judgment] Thread. Yakuza 7 out and great. Now an RPG.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Yakuza has joined Kingdom Hearts in the annals of Series I'd Probably Love But Am Way To Intimidated By The Backlog To Get Into.
    Do I really need to know anything to get into Like A Dragon, or either of the Judgement games?

Just play Yakuza 0, it's the best one.

Just play Like a Dragon, its the best one.

Really you can't go wrong with either of them. 0 is the best of Kiryu's world, while Like a Dragon starts strong off the bat with a group of loveable goofballs. I'm having a hard time picking one over the other off the top of my head.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Or just play all of them and let them consume your life.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I started the series with 0, but knowing what little I know of the rest of the series, I bet it kinda loses a bit of oomph if you've never played any of the other games. It's definitely widely considered a great starting point, but it's one of those things where characters you meet in that game are perfectly fine and normal even though you know they have tragic lives in the other games. Like characters show up in situations that are very different than what they would be in in later games, and the humor and amusement is in that juxtaposition, but without that context, it's not considered weird at all.

It'd be like watching Star Wars from Episode 1 instead of having seen 4/5/6 first. If you didn't know Anakin becomes Vader, it's not nearly as effective. Or maybe it is, since people swear by the Machete Order of movies (4,5,1-2-3, 6). Or completely missing the Buster Bluth/hand stuff in Arrested Development season 1 and just knowing he has 1 arm in the later seasons.

Yakuza 0 came out after 5 for a reason. It was a prelude for Yakuza 6.

I've thought about playing them in release order to get the full effect (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 0, 6) which I still might do considering I didn't get far in Yakuza 0.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I will say though if someone is actively saying they aren't trying to play through them all but they are showing interest then yea... don't go with 0.

They can always go back and consume them all later if they want but no reason to try and send them down that path if they are already unsure.

Just start at a newer game and follow along from there!

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I will say though if someone is actively saying they aren't trying to play through them all but they are showing interest then yea... don't go with 0.

They can always go back and consume them all later if they want but no reason to try and send them down that path if they are already unsure.

Every Yakuza fan I've talked to recommends 0 as the starting point. I've never heard someone recommend say... 6 because it's newer.

Especially since 6 makes a weird impression with the backwater town and the what the fuck ending.

I started with 0 and it made the best impression on me than any other game in the series, barring Like a Dragon.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I generally try to play them in release order because starting with newer gameplay features and then losing them on the next game just isn't fun.
    I find it hard to go back to DMC1 after playing 3.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Every Yakuza fan I've talked to recommends 0 as the starting point. I've never heard someone recommend say... 6 because it's newer.

I said if they are not interested in playing through the whole series. Starting at 0 only really makes sense if you intend to play through the series. Starting at 0 and then jumping to 8 next seems odd.

And I would definitely not say start at 6 haha.

Start 7 as said earlier in this same conversation. Or judgment if you want to try the brawler combat.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Seriously, these games are a completionist's wet dream/nightmare. There's a mountain of stuff to do, everything is tracked and often rewarded for doing, and some of it can be hellish depending on the game. And many trophy completions require 2 full playthroughs (one on hard to unlock very hard, and one on very hard but often you'll at least have an ultimate infinite gun to breeze through).

If you really don't care about such things, I would say go through the story, and do the substories as they contain a lot of the more wacky character the games are known for. Doing just that is pretty reasonable.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Seriously, these games are a completionist's wet dream/nightmare. There's a mountain of stuff to do, everything is tracked and often rewarded for doing, and some of it can be hellish depending on the game. And many trophy completions require 2 full playthroughs (one on hard to unlock very hard, and one on very hard but often you'll at least have an ultimate infinite gun to breeze through).

If you really don't care about such things, I would say go through the story, and do the substories as they contain a lot of the more wacky character the games are known for. Doing just that is pretty reasonable.

Is it possible to lock yourself out of sub stories or is there like a "free roam" at the end where you just walk around doing side content?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Is it possible to lock yourself out of sub stories or is there like a "free roam" at the end where you just walk around doing side content?

I don't remember on the older games but the modern ones you can't miss any permanently as far as I know.

Even little "missable" items from certain locations get added to vendors later so you can still get them.

edited September 2022
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Not only no, but there absolutely is a free roam in every game that lets Kiryu walk around holding the hand of his adoptive daughter.

I'll give a special note to games 3 and 4 (and maybe 5, I'm not sure). You can "miss" substories in that you need to do a few at a specific time, and if you don't then you have to wait until post game. You can also... well not fail some stories, but not complete them perfectly, and the game records that. You'll still get credit for completion, but you get a checkmark instead of a gold star in your list.

I think the OG Yakuza 1 and 2 PS2 games had completely missable stories. The Kiwami remakes turfed that, and from 3 on, they're unmissable and have post games.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Despite them just announcing 3 new games, the Yakuza series is dead in the NA market.

The name at least. Going forward, the series name will be "Like a Dragon".

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    0 is a good place to start, this coming from a guy who started in the PS2 era.

Yakuza 1 or "Kiwami", has a few points that are spoiled by playing Yakuza 0. Namely that, surprise surprise, there's more to Majima than meets the eye.

However, there are several very VERY good additions to Kiwami plot wise that carry off of story beats in 0, that ultimately make that plot a lot stronger.

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    I started the series with 0, but knowing what little I know of the rest of the series, I bet it kinda loses a bit of oomph if you've never played any of the other games.

This might be a bit of a hot take, but I think it kind of works the other way. I played 0 completely isolated from any hype (it hadn't actually been released in the West yet) and I thought it was... fine. A good follow up to 5, but nothing that really transcended the rest of the series. So I was more than a little surprised when it exploded after its Western release.

I think it's 0 being people's entry into the series that gives it a lot of that oomph for them.

cckerberos.png
    Noooo Ishin isn't getting dubbed!

NOOOOOOOO!

I'm quite sad about this.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    cckerberos wrote: »
    I started the series with 0, but knowing what little I know of the rest of the series, I bet it kinda loses a bit of oomph if you've never played any of the other games.

This might be a bit of a hot take, but I think it kind of works the other way. I played 0 completely isolated from any hype (it hadn't actually been released in the West yet) and I thought it was... fine. A good follow up to 5, but nothing that really transcended the rest of the series. So I was more than a little surprised when it exploded after its Western release.

I think it's 0 being people's entry into the series that gives it a lot of that oomph for them.

It was the double whammy of 0 and what I think was the greatest booster of awareness for the Yakuza series outside of Japan: the Share button.

Getting the humor and insanity of the Yakuza side stories out of the community and into the mainstream was massive for the series. So much so that, in the customer survey sent it with Yakuza 6, the question "Where did you first hear about Yakuza" had an option to answer "I saw this video with a chicken...". I do honestly wonder how many people gave that answer, because I think that number might be quite high.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    My first Yakuza game I purchased (but have yet to play) is Dead Souls. Found it in Best Buy right around launch. I thought it was some interesting zombie themed game then realized it was part of a series once I started reading into it.

Didn’t actually get any of the main games until Kiwami came out and I purchased that, at the Same store, and played the hell out of it. I loved the story and the fighting and the graphics definitely suited the game and made the city feel quite real to me.

I found these threads and learned a bit about 0 and downloaded that through PSN and it actually worked quite well to play it after Kiwami. Like Nishki was a lot more tragic to me since I knew how he was going to turn out. Seeing how close they were and knowing how they got torn apart in the future Made the scenes with them hit that much harder. Plus seeing Majima in the first game with his Anywhere antics and how he kept wanting to fight Kiryu and then seeing how he was in 0 gave me a better appreciation for the character.

I believe either game can be played first, but 0 and Kiwami should be played Together, in some fashion, to really appreciate both of them completely.

I’m totally hooked on the series now and still trying to get through LAD. I’m all in for Ishin and the games to follow.

Well I meant storyline oomph.

For example, everything I've seen of Majima in the other games make him out to be this weirdo insane guy

And then in Yakuza 0 he's just this regular looking guy. I bet that's humorous if you've played the other games.

Or the stuff with Nishi
    I understand that in 1, he either betrays you or you take the fall for his crimes and that kicks off the plot. Him being your loyal best friend in 0 is thus ironic and bittersweet because you know this doesn't end well.

It's all the kind of irony where the reader/audience knows something the characters don't.

steam_sig.png

Pondering on it, I think it might be because 0 has one of the better, if not best story of them all. Myself going through the games, the plots are getting crazier, and people are acting stupider. I mean I love them and I'm having a blast, but I'm also playfully throwing popcorn at the screen at times. I don't remember anything like that happening in 0. I'm not throwing popcorn at the screen because I'm munching it down in anticipation of what's going to happen next. I think they also wisely establish an early hate sink to focus on with Kuze. A lot of these games, I can be halfway through and I still don't have a decent idea who any of the major villains are.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I think 0 does a fantastic job of making characters that were previously one note jokes(especially Majima) and making them more nuanced and fleshed out. It especially did well with making the new characters some of the most interesting ones, especially knowing full well they won't be around after that.

wVEsyIc.png
    Finally playing Lost Judgment. Good stuff overall, but once I unlocked the high school stuff I've been doing nothing but that in a single in-game night because of my sidequest OCD. I think I'm almost to the point that it's going to make me stop and move on, but it seems like I've done at least 66% of it already and I'm now going to be hilariously overpowered for the main game.

Great variety, but requiring you to engage in 47,000 motorcycle death races is a bit much. Especially when the esports line is "eh, play five rounds of Virtua Fighter 5, I guess."

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Stop me if this sounds familiar

Tweet text in spoiler
    The New York Times
    @nytimes
    Eliot Spitzer, the former governor of New York, faces a lawsuit from a co-op board that could upend his plans to build Upper East Side condos. The case centers on an unusual prize: ownership of a grimy concrete ditch behind a luxury apartment building.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Well, Yagami got himself a GF now, and I imagine she'll now never appear or have any relevance ever again. :lol:

I really think Judgment is strongest in the CSI/investigative stuff, not when it's trying to be a Yakuza game.

wVEsyIc.png
    Finished Like a Dragon: Ishin. Yep, it's definitely a Yakuza/Like a Dragon game, right down to the distractingly sexy FMV of random women dancing during a karaoke song. The plot is fun, though that ending. It's not quite as bugnuts crazy as Yakuza 6, but it somehow involves not-Kazuma changing the history of Japan in numerous ways and delivering a lengthy propaganda speech.

That said the remake shoehorns some interesting characters from newer Yakuza games (including the three Yakuza bosses from 0, who are some of my favorites), and everyone acts exactly like they did in their home games.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Going to resurrect this slightly old thread as I've recently become super obsessed with this series. I started with Like a Dragon and beat that about a week ago. I've started 0 now. I already bought Ishin, but I'm focusing on 0 first.

How did this entire series fly under my radar?

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Ishin is a completely separate and self-contained story from the rest, though, With the character likenesses used in it, playing 0 first May enhance your enjoyment of the game. Is definitely interesting seeing the familiar faces and the roles they are taking on.

Nitsua wrote: »
    Ishin is a completely separate and self-contained story from the rest, though, With the character likenesses used in it, playing 0 first May enhance your enjoyment of the game. Is definitely interesting seeing the familiar faces and the roles they are taking on.

Yep, I actually started 0, but the game never explained how to save, so I lost like 3 hours of progress and decided to start Ishin and played that for like an hour. I really dug it and immediately noticed the character likeness from the mainline series and saw they were going for a 'what if...but in the 1860s'. So I swapped back to 0 and started a new game because I figure I'll appreciate Ishin more once I get more of a feel for Kiryu, Majima and the others.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    This is more of a note than trying to rain on your parade, but I'd say Ishin is one of the weakest Yakuza games and hews pretty closely to the design principles of the game its a remake of rather than more modern Yakuza games (including 0). It's still pretty good, because Yakuza always is, but it's worth keeping in mind

I ate an engineer
    From what I've played of Ishin so far, I'm really into the main story, but the rest is kind of dragging.

wVEsyIc.png
    Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name is out in November.

My understanding is it fills in the gaps regarding what happened to Kiryu between Yakuza 6 and 7. I've only played through 7, and now maybe 1/4 of Yakuza 0. I'm going to finish 0, it's kind of unlikely that I'll get to any other Yakuza games before Gaiden comes out. But in case I do, does anyone have a recommendation of which Yakuza game 1-6, I should play to best get ready for Gaiden? I had figured I'd jump to 6 after beating 0, and then fill in the gaps of 1-5 somewhere down the road. But I've also heard negative things about 6.

Ideas?

Well if you are planning on playing Gaiden at launch then definitely play 6 as Gaiden is a very direct sequel to what is happening with Kiryu after the events of 6.

And 6 is overall a very good game, the ending is just pretty butts.

My understanding is it fills in the gaps regarding what happened to Kiryu between Yakuza 6 and 7. I've only played through 7, and now maybe 1/4 of Yakuza 0. I'm going to finish 0, it's kind of unlikely that I'll get to any other Yakuza games before Gaiden comes out. But in case I do, does anyone have a recommendation of which Yakuza game 1-6, I should play to best get ready for Gaiden? I had figured I'd jump to 6 after beating 0, and then fill in the gaps of 1-5 somewhere down the road. But I've also heard negative things about 6.

Ideas?

4 covers the events of 1-3, so if you absolutely want to jump ahead, that's a good way to start, but you really should play 5-6, because they each have a subsequent story that follows up the previous. (5 ruins 4's perfect ending, though, and 6 continues from a cliffhanger, leading into an utterly moronic ending.)

wVEsyIc.png
    Hopefully Gaiden and then 8 help soften the ending of 6 then, in that case. But it sounds like it makes good sense to play 6 before Gaiden and 8. And I do want to play those ones fairly close to release.

I've become so invested into into this franchise already that I know I'll be in FOMO city if I'm not playing Gaiden and 8 close to launch.

edited July 2023
    Hopefully Gaiden and then 8 help soften the ending of 6 then, in that case. But it sounds like it makes good sense to play 6 before Gaiden and 8. And I do want to play those ones fairly close to release.

I've become so invested into into this franchise already that I know I'll be in FOMO city if I'm not playing Gaiden and 8 close to launch.

I'm honestly not that interested in another game about Kiryu, especially if he keeps acting as stupid as he did in 6, unless I hear that it actually fixes the ending's damage(and the character).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png

Not specific spoilers but still nods to the themes and ideas of the Y6 ending.
    its kinda funny becayse the mere existence of Gaiden actually further makes the ending and Kiryu's action stupid.

And anything they do relating back to the ending just further shows why it was so stupid.

Its an interesting position and the best case(unlikely) scenario is them straight up acknowledging how dumb it all was.

edited July 2023

Not specific spoilers but still nods to the themes and ideas of the Y6 ending.
    its kinda funny becayse the mere existence of Gaiden actually further makes the ending and Kiryu's action stupid.

And anything they do relating back to the ending just further shows why it was so stupid.

Its an interesting position and the best case(unlikely) scenario is them straight up acknowledging how dumb it all was.

Y6 spoilers:
    If Gaiden makes him realize that he was a moron to leave his foster child alone to raise a child without his help and wind up with Haruka again, then I'm totally down for it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png

Ideas?

Keep in mind that of 1-6, 6 is the only one that really feels like a PS4/Xbox One-era game. Though 1 and 2 got modern upgrades (the Kiwami versions) that brought them up to speed, 3-5 have aged. Like, a lot. 3 probably is the worst of them - I love the series but I struggled to get through 3 playing it recently.

I made this comparison once before. But playing 3 after coming from 0/K1/K2 is like going from Megaman X to Megaman 1. The core gameplay DNA is still there (arguably it's where it finally began), but it's definitely rough. Honestly, once you get over the shock and adjust, 3 plays absolutely fine. And after you've adjusted, not only does it make playing 4/5 easier, the design of those games hew much closer to 0.

If I remember right, the release order starting with 3 is I think 3/4/5/0/K1. And if played in that order, you absolutely see the gradual improving and building off each game.

I was watching a video on Shinjuku and stuff to do at night, and I recognized a bunch of stuff from this series, including a batting center I visited in the game that is apparently a block away from my hotel in real life.

Hopefully no big dudes try to rob me.

steam_sig.png