As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Yakuza] & [Judgment] Thread. Yakuza 7 out and great. Now an RPG.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Did Kiryu descend from the heavens and punch Millennium tower so hard it exploded?

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    It's kind of hard to believe you can get more eye-rolling and implausible than Yakuza 4, but ok. I'll keep that in mind for 5.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    It's not Yakkuza if there's not a convoluted reason to fight on top of a giant tower with your shirts off.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I loved that Yakuza 3 opens with that as like the first fight, and they immediately reference how many times it has happened before, along with the building exploding or catching fire.

uyvfOQy.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    And going to replay Yakuza 4. Gotta get hype~

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    It's not Yakkuza if there's not a convoluted reason to fight on top of a giant tower with your shirts off.

This happens multiple times.

cckerberos.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Millennium Tower First Naturals Election.

Also, how many times has Kiryu been fatally stabbed and walked it off? I think like... ten that I can recall.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I'm looking to decide this week whether to finish Yakuza 1 (then move on to 2 and 3) or just jump ahead to 4.

Looking at my last save, I'm at the start of chapter 7. How much more do I have to go?

Also, 16:9 view does not seem to work on PS3.

After a quick search, 13.

Some of the best are yet to come, I would HIGHLY recommend finishing, because future games assume at the very least you've finished 1. There is some really vital story stuff that's fun to experience first hand. Have you defeated the
    Triads

yet?

Jumping ahead to 4 is honestly a pretty terrible idea. The story stuff in 1 is really important. And while the stuff in 2 isn't quite as important, it's generally regarded as having the best story of the series.

Also, I don't know if I'd want to play multiple Yakuza games (for the first time) back to back. I think that could get pretty repetitive; while there are changes from game to game, they're very much incremental. Of course, that's kind of assuming you're doing side content, which you may not be.

cckerberos.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Finished Yakuza 1.
    The whole "Yumi is Mizuki" twist has to be one of the biggest "no shit" moments I've seen. How anyone could have been fooled by something so obvious is the real shocker.

Also the big bad is an especially evil monster the way he callously tries to murder his own daughter.

My final stats for those interested:

6A8BhCe.jpg

I'm looking forward to Yakuza 2 and hope it fixes some of the problems I had with the first game's mechanics.

Also how is the film adaptation?

Yakuza 2 greatly expands on 1 in the combat department, you'll really notice where the series starts to hits its stride with some truly insane HEAT mechanics. And yes, Jingu is one of those few characters in the series who is played as evil incarnate. Basically EVERYONE in Yakuza gets some kind of redemption at some point to the most absurd melodramatic extremes... I love it anyway.

The movie's pretty faithful to the game without being overly cartoonish. It has very, very little set up which in a way is a good thing. Majima in particular is a scene stealer as always, and Kiryu's fighting is not half bad. The convenience store fight is great.

I believe there's actually a 20 minute "prequel" to the film that greatly expands Kiryu's backstory and his orphanage days.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm playing through 4 right now as my first game, because add three other games to my backlog? Ain't nobody got time for that.

I did watch the videos and stuff.

Honestly I was expecting this game to be a lot crazier. So far I'm at Chapter 3 and I've mostly just fought a few guys and run from the cops once.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The crazy ramps up pretty consistently until the last chapter when it rockets to the moon. Figuratively.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Renzo wrote: »
    The crazy ramps up pretty consistently until the last chapter when it rockets to the moon. Figuratively.

So far.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Well right now I'm a little preoccupied with playing pretty hostess dress up.

Before that it was dodging bullets and throwing crap at guys running away from me.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Don't need to play 1-3. Just get yakuza 4 and enjoy the reminiscence mode. That's all your story!

Alternatively, watch the TBF let's play of Y4, which has the reminiscence as 'part zero' of the play through.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »

So far.

Yakuza 6: A rival mafia faction has infiltrated JAXA and is launching a spy satellite. In the final acts it's actually revealed to actually be an orbital weapons platform in a plot twist and Kiryuu must launch into space and take it down from the inside to prevent it from firing on his hometown and the Tojo Clan.

He also redeemed the satellite with a megaton punch, revealing that its AI was only ever seeking true companions it could rely on.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Obviously he would also be going there because he needs to rescue Haruka, who is also being held captive on the satellite.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited February 2015
    The Yakuza 0 demo is out on the Japanese PSN store if you have PS+. Waiting till it's available for non-Plus myself.

One thing that's immediately noticeable: they went all out with the PS4 version and seemingly skimped with the PS3 version. The PS3 version has long load times. The PS4 version though? Battle transitions and shit is fucking instantaneous!

vagrant_winds on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It's non-plus now.

I finished Yakuza 1, and I enjoyed the dub for the most part. The only voice I thought was weak(as in not up to JP) was Kiryu's. Everyone else was great.

Kiryu US lacks the kindness that JP Kiryu has, I think.

To Live Is To Not Run Away

Back to Yakuza 2. I already kind of miss Date's dub. He was fantastic.

wVEsyIc.png
    I thought Mark Hamill was great as Majima.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Of course, but everyone else was good too. Date, Haruka, Nishiki, and the big bad was voiced by none other than Robin Atkin 'they played us like a god-damn fiddle' Downes.

wVEsyIc.png
    Not bad. Kinda disappointed that they didn't go retro, though.

cckerberos.png
    The still/motion cutscenes are.... interesting. Not sure how I feel about them yet, seems a bit of a corner-cutter. Neat aesthetics, though.

Tempted to import, depends on the likelihood of localization and the cost.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2015
    This seems way too story driven to import blindly. My Japanese only got me up to the first fight.

Boy is this heavy on the drama, more than anything prior.

Is that Akira Nishiki? He seems unrecognizable.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    There used to be a guy who'd post his translations up on GameFAQs and that's what importers would use to get through the game. I don't think he does it anymore though.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    I'm tempted to import Ishin since I imported Kenzan and I highly doubt it's coming over. Zero? I'll wait and see if it comes west.

Man, Mahjong is just way too complicated a game. I want to play a game, not read 50 pages, memorize two dozen win conditions and study kanji.

Yes, even as a Yakuza fan, I'm not terribly upset about it's removal. Nice, but only in a "its there," kind of way.

They removed mahjong? Didn't they leave it in in the last couple localizations?

cckerberos.png
    Also, assuming the reason you want to play it is for the trophy, in Y5 you can win immediately by using the cheat item.

cckerberos.png
    Man, Mahjong is just way too complicated a game. I want to play a game, not read 50 pages, memorize two dozen win conditions and study kanji.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP_hsfQ1JRI
    I'm not sorry.

cckerberos wrote: »
    They removed mahjong? Didn't they leave it in in the last couple localizations?

Not that I know of? There's very little known about Y5's localization. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out sometime this month, knowing Sega.

Y0's awesome install screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJVffFGGKzk

wVEsyIc.png
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I've played through Yakuza 1 and 2. I've got Yakuza 4, but haven't started yet. I'd like to not be so sick of the series that by the time 5 comes out, I still want to play it. How skippable is Yakuza 3 given that I've already gone through 1 and 2?

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    Very, it's summarized in 4. It's also the only one I haven't played. It seems skippable, apart from the orphanage area, which I think is exclusive to 3.

wVEsyIc.png
    I really liked 3. It had some fantastic characters. 3 is all about Kiryu protecting his orphanage and this it's full of the feels.

It'll also be quicker to playthough, because in the localized version Sega took out an entire 50% of the sidequests and side content.