As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Technology trends in the future

walcottwalcott Registered User new member
This is what i see in the next comings years. Not too soon though!

People will carry with them powerful devices with big screens that are 24/7 connected to the internet. The screens will be 3D and have a camera sensing movements. By creating a 3D environment, the projection area from a small screen can be much larger, making the device in between a mobile phone and a tablet in size.

Supercomputers will increasingly rely on DNA and protein computation as a new field.
Ethanol will become the new standard fuel, derived from biological material.
Carbon fibres will take an increasing role in construction, either with plastics or ceramics combined, replacing steel. So everything will be lighter and skyscrapers can be taller.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    3D TV is going nowhere at the cost of consumer dollars, but what you're talking about is some type of holography - a process for which we have no conceivable physical basis in the near future to be able to accomplish.

I would argue you should consider what a cellphone is today in the rest of that prediction though. The issue isn't "what will be" anymore, it's how do we power it and how do we cool it? We can build an entire modern desktop in a roughly cellphone sized block, but you can't power it nor keep it "not molten" for more then a fraction of a second.

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    walcott wrote: »
    This is what i see in the next comings years. Not too soon though!
    Supercomputers will increasingly rely on DNA and protein computation as a new field.

What exactly do you mean with that? Do you mean "we'll use super-computers and/or computer clusters for these kind of computations?" Or "This will be the only field left for super computers?"

Either way, these are not bold enough!

In the 70's, my dad predicated that you would buy computer-hours from a central computer core, kind of coming in through a cable into your house, like electricity. And you'll buy "cpu hours" to do your taxes.
    And while it turns out that a lot of power is available in the palm of your hand, "The cloud" is basically what he said, but then on a grander scale.

So, crazy ass prediction:

People won't leave their house anymore, except for fun and social things. Instead, everything will be delivered to us (via automated drones, flying or driving, or just guy-with-van) , or made with our private 3d Printers.
    Bigger more complicated parts will be made at local 3D printer equipped factories, where "smallish" (1000 units and less) batches will be made, especially for things that are too complicated or not cost effective to make at home.
    Huge Manufacturing will still be a thing, but only for really massed produced things (because it's cheaper to make batches of millions) and for standard parts such as circuit boards that are used as general "commodities" in privately printed products.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    3D TV is going nowhere at the cost of consumer dollars, but what you're talking about is some type of holography - a process for which we have no conceivable physical basis in the near future to be able to accomplish.

Engineers to the rescue!

sig.gif
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Engineers to the rescue!

That's awesome. Minority report computer here we go!

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The OP was a spambot, btw, but I left the thread because he accidentally started an interesting discussion.

He will probably not be responding to you any time soon, though.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    From my time in the academic medical research field, I think the biggest advance in the next half-century is going to be the mellowing of aging. I don't think we are going to get immortality any time soon (nor would we necessarily want to see it arrive in our capitalist, for-profit healthcare age), but there is a lot of potential to reduce the indignities, especially in regards to physical and mental decline.

With some of the advances in understanding the biological mechanisms of aging and dementia, I can imagine a world where we still grow old and die but "growing old" basically becomes a multi-decade expansion of your 50s. You remain healthy, active and mentally alert until the end.

• Options
    Kruite wrote: »

Engineers to the rescue!

That's awesome. Minority report computer here we go!

Indeed. But I was thinking real 3DTV. If we can make 3D shapes that can change and move in real time, and that are solid enough to activate the touch receptors on your hands and to leave a trace in oil, then it's only a matter of time until they're solid enough to reflect photons projected at them from an array of lasers and mirrors surrounding it. At which point we'll have visible dynamic holograms and 3D TV will be a reality.

Then it's only a matter of working out scale and power efficiency issues until we have Star-Trek-style holodecks. Well, not quite that... there's nothing in the article about replicating textures, only physical contact, and a wave-made object won't be completely solid unless you have insane power going through it. But we'd still have room-sized dynamic 3D environments, and that's cool.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Oh, and speaking of future technology today, I assume everyone is aware of the hoverboard prototype?

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/07/an-elevated-experience/

sig.gif
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The OP was a spambot, btw, but I left the thread because he accidentally started an interesting discussion.

The future will be spambots starting all interesting conversations.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Fingers crossed for nanotechnology and mind uploading.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Tell me about submarines, Quid-san

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    fugacityfugacity Registered User regular

And other spambots responding and having entire conversations. The strings of these conversations will create a network in the cloud, or sky if you will.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    fugacity wrote: »

And other spambots responding and having entire conversations. The strings of these conversations will create a network in the cloud, or sky if you will.

I think there was an XKCD strip about that.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I saw a story several years ago about how we could make cars out of carbon fiber, in individual pieces that could be easily replaced after they were damaged. Sort of like bike helmets.

And on a related note, I'm hoping they can start bioengineering organs such as kidneys and livers sometime in the near future, because the current donor system is not cutting it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I saw a story several years ago about how we could make cars out of carbon fiber, in individual pieces that could be easily replaced after they were damaged. Sort of like bike helmets.

And on a related note, I'm hoping they can start bioengineering organs such as kidneys and livers sometime in the near future, because the current donor system is not cutting it.

The bigger issue is the current "what happens after you get the donated organ" thing, cause it basically sucks the big one.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »

The bigger issue is the current "what happens after you get the donated organ" thing, cause it basically sucks the big one.

If they manage to bioengineer organs from your own tissue, that would eliminate a lot of the issues.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    unless your own tissue was the problem to begin with. Certain cancers mean your DNA is junk already.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Because the spambots are making $86 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbor told me she was averaging $95 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I'm my own boss.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    unless your own tissue was the problem to begin with. Certain cancers mean your DNA is junk already.

Well, I mean, sure, if your parents didn't have you genetically engineered. But that's like complaining that bandages don't stop bleeding if you have hemophilia.

Edit: Though I guess in the near future, we're going to have to deal with everyone who grew up in a place or time that didn't have access to that sort of thing.

jothki on
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    In the future, our technology will actually have to be much more focused on sustainability, in terms of food, energy, etc. We probably won't see a lot of technological advancement, particularly in terms of whizz bang gadgets, as societies crunch due to shifting climates.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    The holodeck will be mankind's final invention.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

I've always wondered how often the holodeck gets used innapropriately in the star trek world.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I means your cancerous DNA is junk, though you may have certain mutations that make cancer of the <whatever> more likely. But still, if they use stem cells or can cause other cells to revert to a pluripotent state, or just use noncancerous cells from that organ, they should be able to make organs that don't require immunosuppression but also don't kill you.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

no it doesn't.
    Cancers are localized mutations that metastasize through the body. So just because you have a tumor in one place doesn't mean your DNA is mutated elsewhere.

Synthetic Organ transplants have already happened:
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/07/07/trachea.transplant/

It's a neat process, a 3d printer builds a degradable scaffolding and fills it with stem cells that then form the printed organ. So far we've had cosmetic grafts like ears and noses, this article had a trachea and the next step seems to be a liver and pancreas. Kidneys are a bit tricky at the moment but I'm sure they'll get there.
    There's also the engineering challenge of replacing heart tissue.

Fun fact, when you get a kidney transplant they keep your original kidneys, so you end up with three of them.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    DanHibiki wrote: »

no it doesn't.
    Cancers are localized mutations that metastasize through the body. So just because you have a tumor in one place doesn't mean your DNA is mutated elsewhere.

It's a neat process, a 3d printer builds a degradable scaffolding and fills it with stem cells that then form the printed organ. So far we've had cosmetic grafts like ears and noses, this article had a trachea and the next step seems to be a liver and pancreas. Kidneys are a bit tricky at the moment but I'm sure they'll get there.

Fun fact, when you get a kidney transplant they keep your original kidneys, so you end up with three of them.

We've done vaginas too, fyi.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Man, if I could get a 3D printer that could fabricate a vagina, I'd never leave the house again.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Man, if I could get a 3D printer that could fabricate a vagina, I'd never leave the house again.

"I'll take, 'Things I Never Thought I'd Read' for $400, Alex."

• Options

The issue is you have to culture vulval cells over the scaffold.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Why are we bringing painting implements into this conversation.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Why are we bringing painting implements into this conversation.
    So we can make our home look like a Jackson Pollock painting in UV light.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »

I've always wondered how often the holodeck gets used innapropriately in the star trek world.

Spare a thought for the poor bastard who has to clean everything up afterwards.

I suppose in TNG any residual elements just get recycled into the energy convertor or whatever, but in early DS9 it'd be Rom with a broom.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    3D Printing is going to be so freakin' huge. The applications for it are endless, and even today when we're just printing simple decorations, the demand for MakerBot stuff has spiked beyond all expectations. I'm very curious to see what this leads to in 20~ years time (and what kind of legal mess IP laws create with that kind of technology as certain businesses are threatened with extinction).

Augmented reality seems like it could also be a Very Big Deal if / when we get headgear that's stylish & affordable enough for the typical consumer to just wear around all over the place. That'll basically open up a brand new avenue for culture & art. I'm excited for this.

Drones are exploding in popularity right now. I can't tell if this is just a new toy fad or a tech trend, but either way people sure do love their remote control aircraft a lot more than I thought they would. Also if it becomes a trend and we start to see wider applications for these things (integration into delivery services, for example), this could mean new things for air traffic rules. we'd basically have to set-up a whole new layer of air traffic infrastructure to safely manage all of the little drones buzzing around & prevent them from causing airliner accidents.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    3D Printing is going to be so freakin' huge. The applications for it are endless, and even today when we're just printing simple decorations, the demand for MakerBot stuff has spiked beyond all expectations. I'm very curious to see what this leads to in 20~ years time (and what kind of legal mess IP laws create with that kind of technology as certain businesses are threatened with extinction).

Augmented reality seems like it could also be a Very Big Deal if / when we get headgear that's stylish & affordable enough for the typical consumer to just wear around all over the place. That'll basically open up a brand new avenue for culture & art. I'm excited for this.

Drones are exploding in popularity right now. I can't tell if this is just a new toy fad or a tech trend, but either way people sure do love their remote control aircraft a lot more than I thought they would. Also if it becomes a trend and we start to see wider applications for these things (integration into delivery services, for example), this could mean new things for air traffic rules. we'd basically have to set-up a whole new layer of air traffic infrastructure to safely manage all of the little drones buzzing around & prevent them from causing airliner accidents.

My company is dealing the with the drone crap right now, as there are a LOT of industries who want to use drones for business-y things and FAA is currently saying rules won't be done until 2017.

• Options
    How much weight can a half-decent civilian drone carry, and what's the operational range like on those things?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

no it doesn't.

I never knew this till a friend got one.

I accuse her of hoarding all the kidneys.

• Options

I can see it going two ways.

1. Corporate lawyers are slow, 3D printers become commonplace in every household before they realize what it means, people print stuff to their heart's delight, several businesses whose profits depend on otherwise simple plastic things being needlessly hard to get and expensive go bankrupt and no one misses them.

2. Corporate lawyers are fast, 3D printing is banned as terrorism (because terrorists could 3D print a bomb, what do we need to wait for another 9/11 before we ban this shit?), status quo is maintained, we all cry as corporations found yet another way to make our world an objectively worse place to live in for profit.

sig.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Welp, looks like my sig just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

1. Corporate lawyers are slow, 3D printers become commonplace in every household before they realize what it means, people print stuff to their heart's delight, several businesses whose profits depend on otherwise simple plastic things being needlessly hard to get and expensive go bankrupt and no one misses them.

2. Corporate lawyers are fast, 3D printing is banned as terrorism (because terrorists could 3D print a bomb, what do we need to wait for another 9/11 before we ban this shit?), status quo is maintained, we all cry as corporations found yet another way to make our world an objectively worse place to live in for profit.

Alternatively, they become as common as regular printers are now and similarly the printer manufacturers collude to make printer cartridges stupidly expensive and proprietary.

• Options

Alternatively, they become as common as regular printers are now and similarly the printer manufacturers collude to make printer cartridges stupidly expensive and proprietary.

There's no question in my mind that 3D printers will become as ubiquitous as today's standard inkjet/laser printers. I'm interested to know what people will mostly be making, but whatever it is, they'll sure be making it. Dinnerware? Drapes? Bulbs? Toys? Simple electronics? ...God forbid, complex electronics? Will people literally be printing-out their own desktop upgrades in 30~ years?

IP laws I think will almost certainly focus on licensing / controlling the templates. The ramifications of that are kind of troubling to me.

With Love and Courage