[Official 2015 Challenge Coin Thread] Coin Orders close March 8th.

1468910

Posts

  • akidderzakidderz Registered User regular
    We usually can turn around coins in about 15-17 days. I would be happy to meet with some people at PAX and bring some coins for people to see and feel.

    A touch of color (the PAC MAN and PAC WOMAN only) might be a perfect way to introduce color. ;)

    Don't fumble the ball. I should have chimed in earlier. I was frustrated by the perceived lack of interest several years ago and only posted something this morning because a fellow PAX EAST friend was joking with me about how another coin was being made for PAX and I wasn't making it.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2015
    One of the major things Phoenix provides for us that others have not, and I assume this drives some of the cost, is complete fulfillment on their end. They take the individual orders as they come and handle all the shipping to each individual buyer. This isn't one guy buying a lot of 300 and then handing them out to people who have chipped in. Also there's no guarantee that the estimated number will actually order. We've had cheaper coins in the past, I remember some for $5 each or less, but that was when one person was collecting all the money, placing one big order, and then doing all the fulfillment themselves.

    I personally think we're far enough down the road with PCC for this PAX that I would want to stick with them, and then have someone really put some time into comparing other options for a future PAX, if different options were desired. Ultimately it's up to the project leader, but other than some pictures of some cool coins, there's no meat here, just a baited hook. That doesn't mean it's not something to look at, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

    @akidderz‌ you mentioned that you offered your services in previous years, but 100% of your post history is from within this thread. In addition, while you mentioned that you have attended PAX, all of your posts have been attempting to sell us something. That's pretty blatantly against our rules about personal promotion. If your goal is to just help out the community, as opposed to simply using this as a business opportunity, you might want to consider participating in the community first. Like @gigabrain‌ said, maybe try to meet up with some folks at PAX.

    edit: a few posts came in while I was writing this and it seems like everyone is on the same page with what I was writing anyhow.

    zerzhul on
    sirmrejNes724punzieStreetlight345SkeleVaderTopherRocksironysparkles
  • akidderzakidderz Registered User regular
    Fair enough. This was actually the exact response I got last time. I am not a poster or regular forum contributor on much of anything. I lurk, read, but rarely contribute because I rarely feel like I have much to offer.

    Seriously not trying to sell you guys anything and I will happily go my own way again.

    I do this (make coins) for a living and I've been to PAX with friends each of the last several years. I usually play MTG and board games and then hang around the main floor for a bit.

    zerzhul wrote: »
    One of the major things Phoenix provides for us that others have not, and I assume this drives some of the cost, is complete fulfillment on their end. They take the individual orders as they come and handle all the shipping to each individual buyer. This isn't one guy buying a lot of 300 and then handing them out to people who have chipped in. Also there's no guarantee that the estimated number will actually order. We've had cheaper coins in the past, I remember some for $5 each or less, but that was when one person was collecting all the money, placing one big order, and then doing all the fulfillment themselves.

    I personally think we're far enough down the road with PCC for this PAX that I would want to stick with them, and then have someone really put some time into comparing other options for a future PAX, if different options were desired. Ultimately it's up to the project leader, but other than some pictures of some cool coins, there's no meat here, just a baited hook. That doesn't mean it's not something to look at, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

    @akidderz‌ you mentioned that you offered your services in previous years, but 100% of your post history is from within this thread. In addition, while you mentioned that you have attended PAX, all of your posts have been attempting to sell us something. That's pretty blatantly against our rules about personal promotion. If your goal is to just help out the community, as opposed to simply using this as a business opportunity, you might want to consider participating in the community first. Like @gigabrain‌ said, maybe try to meet up with some folks at PAX.

  • akidderzakidderz Registered User regular
    I received a 2 year badge this morning and I was assuming it was from signing up and posting about this 2 years ago when I received a similar, albeit even more hostile, response.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    One of the major things Phoenix provides for us that others have not, and I assume this drives some of the cost, is complete fulfillment on their end. They take the individual orders as they come and handle all the shipping to each individual buyer. This isn't one guy buying a lot of 300 and then handing them out to people who have chipped in. Also there's no guarantee that the estimated number will actually order. We've had cheaper coins in the past, I remember some for $5 each or less, but that was when one person was collecting all the money, placing one big order, and then doing all the fulfillment themselves.

    I personally think we're far enough down the road with PCC for this PAX that I would want to stick with them, and then have someone really put some time into comparing other options for a future PAX, if different options were desired. Ultimately it's up to the project leader, but other than some pictures of some cool coins, there's no meat here, just a baited hook. That doesn't mean it's not something to look at, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

    @akidderz‌ you mentioned that you offered your services in previous years, but 100% of your post history is from within this thread. In addition, while you mentioned that you have attended PAX, all of your posts have been attempting to sell us something. That's pretty blatantly against our rules about personal promotion. If your goal is to just help out the community, as opposed to simply using this as a business opportunity, you might want to consider participating in the community first. Like @gigabrain‌ said, maybe try to meet up with some folks at PAX.

    edit: a few posts came in while I was writing this and it seems like everyone is on the same page with what I was writing anyhow.

  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Don't take zerzhuls message as saying that you shouldn't have spoken up, we can't know you have a coin company, and attend PAX if you say nothing. But he does have rules to enforce. And it isn't a personal rebuff against you.

    It's easy to lurk, but try to find a thread or two for games you like, and just say something, even if what you have to say might feel stupid, the low post count is really the only thing that had me worried, your work seems legit, and not just randomly taken from around the web, you seem honestly excited, and I would still like to see what you have to offer. Feel free to send me a PM.

    Heck, my post count is pretty low, most of my posts are probably in the MWO threads, and this one.

    If nothing else, what do you think of what we've got going on here with the coin? Join this discussion!
    Which of our designs do you like most?

    zerzhulMvrckNes724mindflare77
  • akidderzakidderz Registered User regular
    Appreciate that.

    You can't won't find those coins on the web (unless some individual is reselling them). Most of our customers do not want their coins out there, so we maintain a small, pretty primitive website with coins that are 5+ years old and never post images of new coins on our site.

    That dropbox link I sent earlier will expire in 6 days for the same reason.

    I think the designs you guys have are fine. It isn't to my taste, but it is clearly in line with the other coins you guys have made the past several years. I think that matters for the sake of continuity.

    Even with the fulfillment that zerzhuls is talking about, it just doesn't seem like a good deal to me. You are paying $8/each on top of the dies. They are covering any potential loss with that fee alone. Once you pay that fee, these are costing them less than $2/each to make (likely).

    I wasn't chiming in originally to sell anything and to be perfectly honest, let's take that off the table so I can speak my mind without having my intentions questioned.

    I chimed in because I go to PAX East every year and I make coins for a living. THIS topic is one I happen to have a great deal of knowledge about and felt like I could offer something for you all to think about.

    I am big gamer. I've been playing Endless Legend, tons of Hearthstone, Wasteland 2 -- and just recently finished DA:I.

    I'm also married and run a small company, so as much as I'd like to, I don't get to post all that much on any forum any more.


    SutibunRi wrote: »
    Don't take zerzhuls message as saying that you shouldn't have spoken up, we can't know you have a coin company, and attend PAX if you say nothing. But he does have rules to enforce. And it isn't a personal rebuff against you.

    It's easy to lurk, but try to find a thread or two for games you like, and just say something, even if what you have to say might feel stupid, the low post count is really the only thing that had me worried, your work seems legit, and not just randomly taken from around the web, you seem honestly excited, and I would still like to see what you have to offer. Feel free to send me a PM.

    Heck, my post count is pretty low, most of my posts are probably in the MWO threads, and this one.

    If nothing else, what do you think of what we've got going on here with the coin? Join this discussion!
    Which of our designs do you like most?

    vttym
  • flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    Wow dat puzzle pin! Hella OP! Yeah as Mvrck said that is some really nice work....and the details on that Columbian coin....@akidderz where have you been hiding??

    Whatever direction we go, we should at least vote on it, IF we decide to cross that bridge.

  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Honestly, the time it would take to vote on it at this point would pretty much make getting coins from PCC in time for East nearly impossible if we ended up voting for them despite everything.

    akidderz has withdrawn his offer, which was very fair of him, and doesn't put me in a position of last minute choices that may or may not be wise, we're at almost the last step with Phoenix, and we should probably complete the process with them, getting a quality we know and have been satisfied with in the past. (Not me though, this will be my first PAX, and first coin.)

    I hope he'll still be willing to bring by a couple of his coins to East for us to look at and compare with Phoenixs, and be willing to work with us in the future if we decide to go that route.

    vttymsirmrejflashemindflare77
  • cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    Yes. We see something new last second that looks cool and the first instinct is to jump ship. Let's not be so compulsive last second or we could end up with no coin, or having to distribute coins in person which could be a huge mess. I love the idea of a colored coin for NEXT YEAR. If you could chime in early about them then, then we could really start talking. Who knows, with your knowledge about coins, you could possible run or co run the project.

    As for now, let's stick to the plan and squeeze in this already closely approaching deadline.

    sirmrejflashe
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    And voting is over with only 30 responses out of 94 people who signed up to show interest.
    The winner is..

    SKbyBt2.jpg

    and the results screen!
    xUzATFd.jpg

    Design heading to PCC shortly.

    SutibunRi on
    flasheNes724Streetlight345Xavier1216vttymLe_Goatironysparkles
  • flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Sweet! voting is over, design is in, now time to start donating for the die PAXErs

    flashe on
  • cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    And voting is over with only 30 responses out of 94 people who signed up to show interest.
    The winner is..

    SKbyBt2.jpg

    and the results screen!
    xUzATFd.jpg

    Design heading to PCC shortly.
    Typical US election. But in all seriousness, glad we picked that one, it's awesome.

  • akidderzakidderz Registered User regular
    I think this ended up being a wise choice. Good luck with the process on this. Let me know if I can assist in any way.

  • akidderzakidderz Registered User regular
    My version didn't have the front screen (I made this pre-voting).

    For comparison sake (again, not supplying these this year, but for your future reference):

    100 of these would be roughly $375.
    300 of these would be under $1000.

    The shipping/fulfillment should add roughly $2/each.

    I've been in touch with SutibunRi and will send him some sample coins in the mail. If any of you meet up with him to thank him for his work on this years coin at PAX, he should have some to show you.

    I've been at this for years now and I know my quality is good/great. I'll be ordering at least one of the ones you guys are making for the sake of comparison.



    o9m04v3x7obb.jpg

    SutibunRi
  • vttymvttym Registered User regular
    Look forward to hearing how the two compare. In the meantime - yay final coin design. Looking forward to getting my hands on it!

  • rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    when can we start ordering

  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    And voting is over with only 30 responses out of 94 people who signed up to show interest.
    The winner is..
    SKbyBt2.jpg

    and the results screen!
    xUzATFd.jpg

    Design heading to PCC shortly.
    Sweet job on this! Thanks for the effort you guys have thrown in.

    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Soon.

  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    @akidderz I am the one who organizes the PAX Prime coin, and have done so for the past 3 years. PCC has been great to work with, but we should always be open to other companies if we can get the same level of service for a better price. If you want to PM me your details I would be happy to consider you for our next coin.

    Also, the reason we have never used color in the past was not because of cost, but because the community has overwhelming voted it down each time.

    The coin is looking great, especially for the short amount of time this had to get done it. Great job @SutibunRi‌
    We will definitely need to add the Ms Pac-Man bow to the other coins.

    SkeleVader on
    CiRAVM0.png

    Le_GoatSutibunRiXavier1216
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think a lot more thanks should go to @Mvrck for doing the actual designing, at least on the PC side, Phoenix gets all the props for how nice the BCEC side ended up.

    PCC sent me their last revision a few hours ago, I noticed a small problem, as soon as that's sorted I'm throwing the Die costs at them, and hopefully we'll have pre-orders open ASAP, at which time I will send out another round of pings/mentions/whatever to everyone to announce the link to buy coins.

    I really wish I'd had an extra month to work on this, for all the extra polls and feedback and lack of racing the clock.

  • MvrckMvrck Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    @akidderz I am the one who organizes the PAX Prime coin, and have done so for the past 3 years. PCC has been great to work with, but we should always be open to other companies if we can get the same level of service for a better price. If you want to PM me your details I would be happy to consider you for our next coin.

    Also, the reason we have never used color in the past was not because of cost, but because the community has overwhelming voted it down each time.

    The coin is looking great, especially for the short amount of time this had to get done it. Great job @SutibunRi‌
    We will definitely need to add the Ms Pac-Man bow to the other coins.

    @SkeleVader

    I have the Illustrator file available for when the Prime Coin rolls around, so we will at least have a starting template to work off of. I don't know who normally does the Prime design, or if you guys just have PCC do it all, but I am happy to help out on that as well. This one didn't get my full attention because of the holidays, but nothing else was getting done with it, so I hammered out what I could when I had the spare time.

    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    @akidderz I am the one who organizes the PAX Prime coin, and have done so for the past 3 years. PCC has been great to work with, but we should always be open to other companies if we can get the same level of service for a better price. If you want to PM me your details I would be happy to consider you for our next coin.

    Also, the reason we have never used color in the past was not because of cost, but because the community has overwhelming voted it down each time.

    The coin is looking great, especially for the short amount of time this had to get done it. Great job @SutibunRi‌
    We will definitely need to add the Ms Pac-Man bow to the other coins.

    @SkeleVader

    I have the Illustrator file available for when the Prime Coin rolls around, so we will at least have a starting template to work off of. I don't know who normally does the Prime design, or if you guys just have PCC do it all, but I am happy to help out on that as well. This one didn't get my full attention because of the holidays, but nothing else was getting done with it, so I hammered out what I could when I had the spare time.

    Thanks, I have always done the design for Prime so I do have a template I use, but that is just because my design has won the vote. We love to have different people submit designs so I look forward to seeing what you come up with once Prime rolls around.

    CiRAVM0.png

  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    I always go away from the forum for a few days and find I've missed important stuff on this thread. I need to work on that.

    My vote was going to be for just Loading, but Loading, Year 6 was a close second, and it looks beautiful!

    UyhWici.png
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Okay, quick update,
    Payment details for the Die have been sent off to PCC. (The GoFundMe is still short of the total, but I'm impatient)
    I spotted a few details in their final design that need to be addressed before I approve it.
    I'm not sure if the details are simply the watermark obscuring details or a layer missing from their design, or if it's just an issue with my eyes.
    As soon as I get a version without the issues, I'll be posting it up here and approving it.

    Le_Goat
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Design approved!
    It really does appear to have just been a case of the watermark and low resolution making the details impossible to see. Here's the approved image!
    0LqA9eT.jpg

    cardkid123zerzhultvethiopiagigabrainmindflare77Nes724flasheLe_Goat
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    This is awesome @SutibunRi‌! I can't wait for the order form to go up!

    fclLCwN.png

    Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
    mindflare77Nes724flasheLe_Goat
  • cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    So, when do order forms go out?

  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Soon I hope.
    They have approval, they have payment details for the Die costs, I imagine the only holdup now is machining the Die and getting a coin printed to display on the order page.
    I'll email them for an ETA on it.
    I've emailed them for an ETA on it.
    They are waiting on the sample coin, the process takes 7-10 days or less.
    So.. Sometime between the 16th and 20th? Maybe sooner.

    SutibunRi on
    KaronethTemigLe_Goat
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    Looks beautiful. Great job, everyone, and especially @SutibunRi‌

    Le_Goat
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I got a thing in the email from PCC that.. well..
    Does anyone want an IV full of Hype Concentrate?
    Because that's a thing I have now, and I could probably share it.. but around these parts Hype is Super Effective. And I would feel bad if the actual coin was 1% worse than the pictures I have.

    I am too weak to resist, if you too are weak to Hype type attacks, do not open the spoiler, you have been warned.
    dD1647b.jpg
    evxkne5.jpg

    SkrepoStreetlight345Nes724vttymgigabrainLe_GoatiltaKaronethGoreySailortvethiopiaflashepeetsnack
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Someone hang me a bag of 500cc IV Hype because I'm all in!

    fclLCwN.png

    Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
    SutibunRiLe_GoatNes724
  • TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    I'm in, but I'm still going to chuckle at the walking soft serve and other "people" along with the "parallel" crosswalk lines ;)
    Seriously appreciate all the work you've put in to making it happen. I just like to poke fun ;)

    JQ1qRPt.png
  • Thunderous_TThunderous_T Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Temig wrote: »
    I'm in, but I'm still going to chuckle at the walking soft serve and other "people" along with the "parallel" crosswalk lines ;)
    Seriously appreciate all the work you've put in to making it happen. I just like to poke fun ;)

    That dude is just cosplaying as his favorite DQ treat :D

    Seriously though, super hyped!

    Prime 2017: Tickets soon please...
    SutibunRi
  • JimmyWildJimmyWild Registered User regular
    Did I miss the orders for these? Sorry, getting confused with South coins right now. So I can't remember if there were orders already or not.

  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    JimmyWild wrote: »
    Did I miss the orders for these? Sorry, getting confused with South coins right now. So I can't remember if there were orders already or not.
    Nope, the ordering has not yet commenced. I'm sure SutibunRi‌ will change the thread's title to reflect ordering when the time comes; that'll make it easier than pouring through pages of the thread.

    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • JimmyWildJimmyWild Registered User regular
    That's what I thought, but I swear there was a post somewhere about the order deadline being Jan 2nd. I find no evidence of this, just my crazy memory. Maybe it was a dream. /shrug

  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The only deadlines we had were "Design to PCC by December 23rd" (Aka, 2 weeks from when I emailed them initially) and that they wanted the first batch printing by January 15th, as their factory closes for 2.5 weeks at the end of the month.
    Also, I updated the heck outta the OP, hopefully things are less (and more) confusing for everyone!

  • cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    Does the price of the coin include shipping?

  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    cardkid123 wrote: »
    Does the price of the coin include shipping?
    As I understand it, that is a big reason we go with PCC, so, I think so.
    Anyone with past coin purchasing experience should speak up now!
    Let me check some fine print.
    Shipping Your Product. Also please be advised that expedited express direct shipping may cost an additional sum if your coins are on a time sensitive deadline. Express guaranteed delivery isn’t included in this quote. Please ask for an expedited shipping quote so you’ll know the costs that you will be responsible for; should this applies the case for your order. Usually we only charge extra if we are shipping to a domestic international non-APO address and or if you need expedited shipping via UPS, FEDEX, etc…

    So, fellow Non-Americans, we get to pay out the wazoo for shipping, as is tradition.
    Or you/we can find a trustworthy American soul who would be willing to take delivery of your coins and give them to you at PAX. If the coins make it in time.

    I asked if we'd passed the deadline to get them on time for East, was asked the date again, and then not (yet) answered. I assume because so close to the temporary factory shut down, it all depends on if things go smoothly, or if things go sideways. So waiting to answer is better than guessing wrong.

  • vttymvttym Registered User regular
    I'd be willing to take delivery of coins for those that are not in the states, if it means saving folks big bucks. I'd be happy to discuss details of my itinerary with interested parties over PM.

This discussion has been closed.