Options

[Dragon Age Inquisition] Because Geebs' Inquisitor is getting too old for this shit

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    it's hard to tell if i have a generally shitty internet connection lately that i need to call and ream my ISP out about or if the dragon age servers are just hosed in the last few days

in the last hour though i've gotten to about the fourth section consistently and then i get dropped from the match

thankfully it looks like i still get gold out of it but no xp

getting mad salty tho

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying playing multi templar

Can keep up an almost continual +50% damage boost.

It makes your damage output competent, and everyone else's outrageous

Can't pull aggro that well, but since everything dies faster it doesn't matter too much

I like to run Challenge, Wrath of Heaven, Spell Purge, and Shield Wall on my Templar.

It's kind of a one trick pony, but it blows up entire rooms of enemies.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    The American Female Herald is actually quite good

It's a very sardonic version of the character, and she's not what you'd call excitable, but her line deliveries are beyond great where it counts and she is the very best at delivering the most important line in the game
    "Well... shit."

The two major factors in rerolling as soon as I did were

1: Archery fucking sucks in DA:I

2: The American Lady Inquisitor's voice actress is extremely dull.

Like, it starts off fine.

But when it comes to the "Tell me more" parts of dialogue, (Which is like half of it) it's like she's not really into it at ALL.

Man, I've had a blast with archery

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying playing multi templar

Can keep up an almost continual +50% damage boost.

It makes your damage output competent, and everyone else's outrageous

Can't pull aggro that well, but since everything dies faster it doesn't matter too much

I like to run Challenge, Wrath of Heaven, Spell Purge, and Shield Wall on my Templar.

It's kind of a one trick pony, but it blows up entire rooms of enemies.

I was doing unbowed, but I might go back to Challenge

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Archery is actually really satisfying in multiplayer, but in singleplayer it just ain't match up to the kind of stuff you can do either as a great weapon fighter or if you want range, a mage

In multiplayer, dem killstreaks tho...

• Options
    Let's be real though the main reason to not do archery in single player is because you're stepping on Varric's toes a little

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Hmm, I took care of the Family Crest, but now there's nothing else to do and no new dialogue options with Josie.

Do I need to, like, do some missions or something to unlock the next step?

Go do whatever out in the world, soon after you'll trigger the next part when you walk into her office.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I tried archery on my rogue underwear model

It seems really super powerful, at least early on

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Let's be real though the main reason to not do archery in single player is because you're stepping on Varric's toes a little

It never even occurred to me to make Sera an Archer, if she started with a bow I wasn't paying attention and gave her two daggers I had lying around.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Ugh

One thing that multiplayer does desperately need is some non-terrible bosses

They are just completely non fun.

Like, if you're running a melee party of lvl 20s on lowest difficulty with good gear

And you hit the demon commander.

There's nothing you can do. It doesn't make things more difficult, it just all but hard counters melee.

The red templar commander isn't quite as bad, but even his supposedly blockable abilities still knock you down, so you're boned despite "successfully" blocking the attack. And you might as well go and get a drink if he hits you near a wall, cuz he'll be juggling you to death and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

ME3 was thrilling when you'd get into those moments of being the last survivor of your party and having to push on past the last few tough fights to revive your party. This multiplayer doesn't have that drama. It's just gear and build, and not much else.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    suprachromatsuprachromat Registered User regular
    Archery is way too boring a playstyle... at least in singleplayer, haven't tried multi. You basically sit back at a distance, work out a rotation, and then keep track of your CDs. Felt way too much like WoW hunter, actually. Dual dagger rogue would be much more fun if a) you didn't melt in CQ even on normal, and b) enemies didn't move around so damn much.

Playing a mage now and it's a lot more fun. You can go KE if you want to get down and dirty in melee (also never die), or rift mage if you want to laugh maniacally while slinging spells from a suitable distance.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    that boss is fucking worse than banshees

in that it's even more unfun

the boss fight in single player involving that enemy is fucking bullshit

it was the only time I HAD to use tactics mode to beat anything

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Archery is way too boring a playstyle... at least in singleplayer, haven't tried multi. You basically sit back at a distance, work out a rotation, and then keep track of your CDs. Felt way too much like WoW hunter, actually. Dual dagger rogue would be much more fun if a) you didn't melt in CQ even on normal, and b) enemies didn't move around so damn much.

Playing a mage now and it's a lot more fun. You can go KE if you want to get down and dirty in melee (also never die), or rift mage if you want to laugh maniacally while slinging spells from a suitable distance.

once you get the AoE daggers rogue is a lot less annoying, because the attack pattern moves you towards baddies way more

Or of course just go 2-handed warrior and whack everything

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Which boss fight are we talking about? The Behemoth?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    When I see the Demon Commander I weep and wail into the night as if one of my garbage sons had hired an impersonator of my personal hero Jimmy Page to flip me off

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I like american female inquisitor sometimes but her tone can be pretty inconsistent

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    When I see the Demon Commander I weep and wail into the night as if one of my garbage sons had hired an impersonator of my personal hero Jimmy Page to flip me off

good ol' penis head demon

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »

Yeah, it is reminding me a lot of ME3 multiplayer. And them constantly going, "Oh hey, we heard you guys found a way to beat X boss cleverly! So for balance we've made them completely immune to that, and now they have *another* instant-kill attack. Instant-kill attacks are fun, right? Oh and also here's a new playable character that specializes in doing that strategy that we've just put in hard counters against, enjoy!"

They've learned some lessons obviously from ME3's multiplayer, but on some things it's still... oof. These big area attacks work when you have a mobile playstyle that means it's the player that has to pay attention. But most of the DA:I play styles are very immobile, so even when you go, "uh oh, here comes such and such, time to respond instantly to it!" it doesn't even matter, you can't get out of the way.

• Options
    Honestly the Red Templar Commander in multi is rough but not impossible, when he kills me I feel like I should have been watching harder for him to do his spin-and-win attack

But the butt demon just kills me and puts me in a panic and I just kind of grip my controller a little too hard as I hope someone comes to bail me out in case I die (haha in case, no, it always happens)

• Options
    Which boss fight are we talking about? The Behemoth?

The only difficulty I have with the behemoth is that the camera won't zoom far enough back in multiplayer, so inevitably my camera ends up zoomed in on half of the floor and half my shoulder and none of the behemoth as soon as he casts his wall thing.

So his attacks become unblockable simply because I can't see when he's attacking.

• Options

Yeah, it is reminding me a lot of ME3 multiplayer. And them constantly going, "Oh hey, we heard you guys found a way to beat X boss cleverly! So for balance we've made them completely immune to that, and now they have *another* instant-kill attack. Instant-kill attacks are fun, right? Oh and also here's a new playable character that specializes in doing that strategy that we've just put in hard counters against, enjoy!"

They've learned some lessons obviously from ME3's multiplayer, but on some things it's still... oof. These big area attacks work when you have a mobile playstyle that means it's the player that has to pay attention. But most of the DA:I play styles are very immobile, so even when you go, "uh oh, here comes such and such, time to respond instantly to it!" it doesn't even matter, you can't get out of the way.

It also doesn't help that movement in multiplayer feels a lot slower than in single player so when you gotta move it feels kind of like a lost cause

It is also why playing an assassin and grappling around everything is super exhilarating even though it'd get me killed a lot more often if I ain't had a heal on hit dagger

• Options
    I don't play Inquisition multiplayer

I liked ME3 multiplayer because it let me use my action game skills at least somewhat; Inquisition doesn't really do that. I could solo Platinum in ME3 but I don't get that same impression about the possibilities of play in Dragon Age

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I hate that boss so much

my two cents:

-its moves go off too fast

-the teleport jump doesn't always have a clear enough tell

-these same moves do too much damage for how fast they can be pulled off

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    I hate that boss so much

my two cents:

-its moves go off too fast

-the teleport jump doesn't always have a clear enough tell

-these same moves do too much damage for how fast they can be pulled off

It has definitely one-shot me through half a meter of guard before. It's a little ridiculous.

• Options

It also doesn't help that movement in multiplayer feels a lot slower than in single player so when you gotta move it feels kind of like a lost cause

It is also why playing an assassin and grappling around everything is super exhilarating even though it'd get me killed a lot more often if I ain't had a heal on hit dagger

Yeah, like if everyone automatically had a dodge skill of varying types it would go a long way towards helping.

Or if the movement was just more responsive and quicker, like in DA2.

• Options

ME3's multi had some issues, but this is a bit of an exaggeration. For one, developers are obviously going to do balance changes if things get too easy, otherwise complacency kicks in. And I don't remember them ever giving old characters new sync kills, but you can correct me if I'm wrong.

Plus, Banshees absolutely had a tell that made them much more manageable, the community just didn't realise it for months.

• Options
    the banshee tell is not super obvious, or lengthy

there's a reason the community didn't realize it was there for so long

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options

ME3's multi had some issues, but this is a bit of an exaggeration. For one, developers are obviously going to do balance changes if things get too easy, otherwise complacency kicks in. And I don't remember them ever giving old characters new sync kills, but you can correct me if I'm wrong.

Plus, Banshees absolutely had a tell that made them much more manageable, the community just didn't realise it for months.

I mean at some point if the community of your game can't figure out your "tell", it's just bad design.

Even most experienced players for ME3 would have had a dang hard time telling you how to avoid the grab attacks.

And of course the buggy rubber-band grabs and lag made it even harder to know what you're doing wrong.

• Options
    phantoms sync-kills are also bullshit

my favorite tool-tip is the one that says you break their sword with bullets

they at least die quickly, so there's no point in aiming for a super hard to hit target

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The sword break is horseshit
    I've yet to see proof of anyone pulling it off

• Options
    I've never seen it either

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    One of my favourite moments was when I Ballistic Bladed a Phantom and they triggered their sync kill, only to be denied by my exploding blades.

But yeah, those vacuum sync kills were no good at all.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The American Female Herald is actually quite good

It's a very sardonic version of the character, and she's not what you'd call excitable, but her line deliveries are beyond great where it counts and she is the very best at delivering the most important line in the game
    "Well... shit."

The two major factors in rerolling as soon as I did were

1: Archery fucking sucks in DA:I

2: The American Lady Inquisitor's voice actress is extremely dull.

Like, it starts off fine.

But when it comes to the "Tell me more" parts of dialogue, (Which is like half of it) it's like she's not really into it at ALL.

This is exactly the issue I have with the British woman

• Options

I think archery is a "get out what you put in" kind of playstyle. Like, yeah, you can stand in one place and wait for your cooldowns, but you also can lower the difficulty to easy, play a warrior, and just hold down the right trigger. Doesn't mean it's gonna be fun.

My archer is wicked fun. Popping in and out of stealth, getting instant crits whenever I come out. Working my way from high ground to high ground, picking my targets - did I just land an arrow burst? If so, where's the follow-up guranteed knockdown going to be the most useful? Is anybody frozen? Flick to them and land a shatter bonus with a longshot. Moving in, out, around, always looking for the best angle and softest targets. Every fight I have is really dynamic and a grand ol' time, and the use of geography is some of the best I've seen outside of, like, Divinity: Original Sin.

Diff'rent strokes, I guess!

• Options
    I tried out rogue archer long enough to plan out an assassination spec combo

even the early gameplay was a lot of fun, for me

stealth is the bestest

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    oh, so that's the final piece

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I have a dagger that gives a 3% chance of activating Fade Cloak when I hit someone. 3% doesn't sound like much but it happens surprisingly often. It gets pretty confusing when I disappear in the middle of a hectic fight.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    okay let's get the pre-finals converations with everybody and then stop the DOOM UPON ALL THE WORLD

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ending
    solas

you motherfucker

I knew something was up with you

I can't wait to kill you in the dlc

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Ladyfriend Dragon Age News:

She'd seen me, when I first started playing, doing that rapid-hop-to-climb-steep-hills thing that is solely the province of kinda-janky jump physics. At the time, she gently mocked it for looking silly.

Now that she's playing, she calls it "billygoating" and it's one of her favorite things to do

This discussion has been closed.