As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, December 12, 2014 - Fan Fiction

2»

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    mine didn't involve any sharp knives

it involved lasers

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    I really like this piece, worthy of perhaps a longer story.

But even by itself it really captures how much fun a person can have in a game. Mike's post nails it.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I really like this piece, worthy of perhaps a longer story.

But even by itself it really captures how much fun a person can have in a game. Mike's post nails it.

Unfortunately for me, it also shows the vast potential that games have as a storytelling medium that is being squandered.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    lertulolertulo Registered User new member
    Today's comic was like a Christmas present. Thanks, guys.

• Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    K.MI.K.C. wrote: »
    r2sxvvcqa3z3.jpg

'posessive' though? :P

Gah. This is why I should not photoshop things before noon.

Or ever, really.

Supporting sites: link 1, link 2
    If Mike and Jerry were running something more "serious business", I'd grab my pitchfork; seeing as how they are really just providing entertainment, I'm less prone to start a witch hunt, but seeing as how the issue is already on the table, might as well set the record straight.
    They were wrong.
    They also admitted mistakes, and have amended them.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    K.MI.K.C. wrote: »
    r2sxvvcqa3z3.jpg

'posessive' though? :P

Gah. This is why I should not photoshop things before noon.

Or ever, really.

Supporting sites: link 1, link 2
    If Mike and Jerry were running something more "serious business", I'd grab my pitchfork; seeing as how they are really just providing entertainment, I'm less prone to start a witch hunt, but seeing as how the issue is already on the table, might as well set the record straight.
    They were wrong.
    They also admitted mistakes, and have amended them.
    I would like to think that you don't exactly need to pull out the citations to convince us that they fucked up the its.

• Options
    foodlefoodle Registered User regular
    Comic is just so good today.

Bungie, maybe some of that $500M should be going PA's way ...

• Options
    MachineWraithMachineWraith West Coast USARegistered User regular
    Better story than the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LowkLowk Registered User new member
    Actually I think that one word might be canon. At least going by the lore in the Grimoire. There is story attached to Destiny, but for some reason they don't seem to be to keen to using cutscenes to illustrate it. I mean I'm okay with words but it would've been nice to see a little more cinematic stuff then written short stories.

• Options
    SolaceInRageSolaceInRage Registered User regular
    This makes me want to try the game more than anything the developers or marketing department have done.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    This is the level of writing that should've been in the script. Imagine what Dinklage could've done with lines like this, and not just wait while I hack the door, oh look a moon wizard, hey that war chief looks mad bro.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    This may be a cheap defense, but if Mike is enjoying the game this much, and this much story is going on in his head, isn't that worth something? Not that I am crediting the game writers with Mike's ideas. But one can't simply dismiss the good experience Mike is getting out of the game by saying "no, he's just wrong, it's bad." Is it such a bad thing for the player to fill in the story in his head? Now, you could argue that we're paying for the game so we shouldn't have to do any of the work, but I don't think anyone pays Bungie for the story of a game. If the game is fun, and sets up a universe open-ended enough, it's kind of neat to just fill it with story of your own, like people used to do with simpler games.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    This may be a cheap defense, but if Mike is enjoying the game this much, and this much story is going on in his head, isn't that worth something? Not that I am crediting the game writers with Mike's ideas. But one can't simply dismiss the good experience Mike is getting out of the game by saying "no, he's just wrong, it's bad." Is it such a bad thing for the player to fill in the story in his head? Now, you could argue that we're paying for the game so we shouldn't have to do any of the work, but I don't think anyone pays Bungie for the story of a game. If the game is fun, and sets up a universe open-ended enough, it's kind of neat to just fill it with story of your own, like people used to do with simpler games.

I... haven't seen anyone dismiss Mike's experience? I do exactly the same thing. I've been wishing lately that I had some artistic talent so I could illustrate some internal stories I have from the DA universe.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Who's dismissed Mike's experience?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    FUCK MIKE'S EXPERIENCE IT'S A LOAD OF HORSESHIT

(@RatherDasing89 I just saved your ass, you owe me one)

• Options
    OrganicMekanicOrganicMekanic Registered User new member
    edited December 2014
    I've enjoyed PA since I found out about it, what seems like a decade ago. While the commentary and silliness is great fun, it's story and art such as this that really makes me grateful that you two are still working so hard after so many years.

Thanks for Automata, for Sand, for Thornwatch. Thank you for taking the foundation of Destiny -- which is admittedly (but perhaps purposefully!) bare -- and using it as the loom on which to weave this new story about the Little Light. I look forward to more of the same!

OrganicMekanic on
  • Options
    I wasn't referring to anyone in this thread. I was more referring to his newspost:
    It’s easy to go online and read about why a game is stupid or why it’s a waste of time. I’m just not interested in that anymore. I’d much rather talk about why games are awesome and share how inspiring they can be.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That's still not anyone dismissing his experience though.

• Options
    JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    Penny Arcade is goofy a lot of the time, but sometimes it is just so amazingly -heavy- that I can't help but be impressed. Mike and Jerry are more than just comic makers; they could do anything they ever wanted to do. I consider it a privilege that their great talents go into silly comics every couple of days for us to read for free. I love this site.

• Options
    I wasn't trying to start a fight or accuse anyone. On various forums I've seen absolutely nothing positive said about Destiny without being shouted down by those who insisted it had no merit. I guess I shouldn't carry my experience from other places into this message board, but I thought it relevant to Mike's post, as he seems to have a similar experience. I know it's discouraging for me to love a game and be consistently told I'm wrong for doing so. Not that I should care, but I guess that's part of Mike's point. In any case, I didn't realize what I said seemed so...volatile...so I'm content to drop it.

• Options
    cmdshft4cmdshft4 Registered User regular
    I have no idea what game this is for, but I want to see more of this story from you guys...

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    @RatherDashing89 :
    I don't think that people would dispute that it's good when a creative work inspires others. In the particular case of Destiny, though, I think there is a desire or expectation that the game itself present more of a story, rather than simply be an outline or framework upon which third parties, like Gabe, can build.

"Yeah, so we didn't paint this thing we sold you. But that's okay, you can paint it yourself! Any color you want! You'll, uh, have to supply your own paints, though."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    @RatherDashing89 :
    I don't think that people would dispute that it's good when a creative work inspires others. In the particular case of Destiny, though, I think there is a desire or expectation that the game itself present more of a story, rather than simply be an outline or framework upon which third parties, like Gabe, can build.

"Yeah, so we didn't paint this thing we sold you. But that's okay, you can paint it yourself! Any color you want! You'll, uh, have to supply your own paints, though."

I collect Warhammer 40k models. I prefer to buy them unpainted. ;)

I guess I'm just confused that people were expecting or require a story from a Bungie shooter. It seems like complaining about a lack of difficulty in a story-based game or the visuals in a text adventure. As long as the story is passable, it seems like the reason you play would be the shooting.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Marathon's story was so detailed and amazing that there's an entire website dedicated to it.

• Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    I guess I'm just confused that people were expecting or require a story from a Bungie shooter.

Somewhere, Matt Soell and Greg Kirkpatrick are dusting off the ol' noose.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Just want to say I'd assumed Jerry wrote this, or that it was the usual collaborative effort, but as I've just now read that it's Mike's work, I wanted to say an extra bravo. Outstanding work, chief.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    PeelingPeeling Mr UKRegistered User regular
    "I guess I'm just confused that people were expecting or require a story from a Bungie shooter. "

But that's retroactively classifying it based on what it turned out to be, rather than what it fell short of.

Quake III is a shooter, and expecting an attendant narrative would indeed be foolish. Destiny, on the other hand, is squaring up against World of Warcraft. I think you'd agree that WoW without lore would be missing something important.

Davenport is an app designed to help writers plot and plan their creative works. Download the alpha here!
  • Options
    TheMetabaronTheMetabaron Registered User new member
    This voice-acted video is pretty neat. :phttp://youtu.be/5bKNiRPgl4Y

• Options
    His ShadowHis Shadow Registered User regular
    Holy Shit.

• Options
    snake3lrsnake3lr Registered User new member
    Traveler the scared, OMG this is amazing.