As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. - Final Smash Direct Dec. 15th @ 2pm PST

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Ray-Ray Washington.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    The ghost of Peter Venkman. Female ghostbusters and terror dogs as alts, staypuft as final smash because it's all related but doesn't make any sense.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Crash ... Bandicoot?

No.

Crash... and the boys.

Crash Man Bandicoot and the Boys and Their Blob.

Fixed

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Shovel Knight's new update gives him a rising dagger move.

Shavel night confirmt for samsh.

• Options
    Rising Tackle. Final Smash is Terry Bogard.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Page 100, huh? Probably should get a new thread going over the weekend, as I have a feeling this place is going to explode on Tuesday.

(Or Monday, if that Nintendo server maintenance is for the Smash patch and data miners get their hands on it.)

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Page 100, huh? Probably should get a new thread going over the weekend, as I have a feeling this place is going to explode on Tuesday.

(Or Monday, if that Nintendo server maintenance is for the Smash patch and data miners get their hands on it.)

I doubt they're going to leak anything unless they patch the actual game like they did before the E3 presentation.

RockinX on
  • Options
    Exactly. People aren't sure if the game will be patched before the direct, thus allowing people to buy the DLC
    Immediately afterward. If it's patched beforehand, expect leaks like what happened before E3.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I cannot imagine they'll do that again. The Mewtwo patch also spoiled Ryu and Roy, and their respective patch had no such spoilers in the data. I imagine there won't be a pre-Direct download for similar reasons.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    This is a really interesting read - an interview with Sakurai about Fire Emblem in Smash (and Smash in general):

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Interviewer: And about the future of Smash…?

Sakurai: Who knows…?

Sakuraiiiiiiiii

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    With Cloud in, nothing is beyond the realm of possibility.

They could announce Sagat or even Bob Saget and I would not bat an eye.

Sagat maybe.

Cloud didn't break any pre-established guidelines, so I wouldn't hold your breath for any non-game or non-Nintendo-system characters.

• Options
    The best kind of correct

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    With Cloud in, nothing is beyond the realm of possibility.

They could announce Sagat or even Bob Saget and I would not bat an eye.

Sagat maybe.

Cloud didn't break any pre-established guidelines, so I wouldn't hold your breath for any non-game or non-Nintendo-system characters.

Yeah, all of this "Cloud breaks all the rules so let's add Goku and Shrek and John Cena lolololol!!!" talk is a bit silly.

Cloud is still:

1. A video game character, first and foremost
    2. Has appeared on Nintendo consoles. Although they have been minor appearances. Now maybe there will be bigger ones in the future (hint, hint, hint).
    3. Is important to video game history, and more importantly to Nintendo's history. Cloud's first game is one of Nintendo's darker moments, losing the Final Fantasy franchise to a rival company. Even the advertising for FF7 took potshots at Nintendo, similar to Sega's ribbing earlier in the 90s.

In a way, Cloud's addition is kind of a mix of Sonic and Snake at the same time.

post.png
  • Options
    Also, character placeholders all named Mario? Seems they know better than Capcom about how to hide characters.

• Options
    Six purehearted Marios.

• Options
    To create the Super Mario God?

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    They're literally all Mario variations

One of them is an entirely other dude named Mario

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Maz- wrote: »
    This is a really interesting read - an interview with Sakurai about Fire Emblem in Smash (and Smash in general):

Heh, interesting that Roy's original name was Ike, and now Ike and Roy are both in Smash :P

EDIT:
    I was playing the first one when I started working, so that would mean it’s been a quarter-century since I joined the game industry. The amount of work is pretty harsh… Recently, my vision has been getting worse as well…anyhow, leaving that aside (laughs). But, being able to take these characters who first appeared so long ago, and to be able to keep using them and share them with the current generation is, in my opinion, a blessing and a really fun job. Fire Emblem is changing and evolving with entries like Awakening and Fates, and I’d love to keep an eye on this evolution now and in the future.

Guys, no more Smash, we're killing Sakurai D:

Winky on
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »

Eventually, Sakurai will live on as a brain in a jar still making new Smash Bros games.

post.png
  • Options
    Mario
    Hotel Mario Mario
    Bob Hoskins Mario
    Captain Lou Albano Mario
    Charles Martinet dressed as Mario Mario
    Paper Mario

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Heh, interesting that Roy's original name was Ike, and now Ike and Roy are both in Smash :P

EDIT:
    I was playing the first one when I started working, so that would mean it’s been a quarter-century since I joined the game industry. The amount of work is pretty harsh… Recently, my vision has been getting worse as well…anyhow, leaving that aside (laughs). But, being able to take these characters who first appeared so long ago, and to be able to keep using them and share them with the current generation is, in my opinion, a blessing and a really fun job. Fire Emblem is changing and evolving with entries like Awakening and Fates, and I’d love to keep an eye on this evolution now and in the future.

I honestly don't know where they could even go after Smash 4.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    smash 5 lol

but for real they could start by giving dorf his own moveset

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

EDIT:

I honestly don't know where they could even go after Smash 4.

Smash As A Service, the same route games like Killer Instinct and Street Fighter have gone. Create a core game and then just keep adding wih DLC, for longer than they are doing with Smash 4.

post.png
  • Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    I'm expecting (and hoping) that Smash 5 has a much larger third party presence. We've been seeing a lot more third parties in Smash 4, especially with DLC. I think the inclusion of Cloud means we could see quite a few more characters not associated with Nintendo in the next one.

• Options
    Paul Blart.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Played online for awhile tonight, mostly got destroyed but had a lot of fun. I still have trouble recovering and not getting juggled. Had alot of lag tonight though. Sometimes the connection is totally smooth and lagless, and most of the time it's not bad but a few times tonight it was horrible.

I know my wifi is quite fast and my latency is low as tested on my laptop (like 20-30ms on speed tests), along with the Wii U being like 3 feet away from the router, so I don't think it's my connection. Still, would the wired adapter really be worth it or is online just a crap shoot?

Having alot of fun with Smash. I hope I eventually get good enough to win a few matches in For Glory!

*Edit - Is there any video series anyone could recommend to help me learn the fundamentals of Smash better?

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm going to record my predictions for further DLC characters, just for reference after the fact:

Wolf - Because besides the Ice Climbers (confirmed not coming back), Snake (#FucKonami), and Pichu (... what?), Wolf is the only veteran who hasn't come back. He's heavily Luigified off of Fox and Falco, so he still adds to the gameplay, and with Star Fox Zero coming out in the near future, it makes sense to add some further Star Fox hype.

Inklings - Because if you assume that there's only one Smash Ballot winner (which I think is reasonable, taking into account that we still have only of the three Mario placeholders left, IIRC, and the other two would be Cloud and Wolf), the Inklings are a very strong bet for winning the ballot, I think. Here's why: The enthusiast set (like /r/smashbros, SmashBoards, this board, et.al.) only makes up a small portion of the total fanbase of the game. The remainder is, let's say, young. They don't have fond memories of Banjo-Kazooie or Paper Mario on the N64, or any other ten-year-old mascot game you care to mention. Their frame of reference is the WiiU, and Splatoon is the one big Nintendo IP that doesn't already have representation in Smash Brothers. So if you ask them what video game character they want in Smash Brothers (and they're the Internet generation, they know about the Smash Ballot), they're going to land on "those squid kids from Splatoon".

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Ha, apparently the "leaks" are already starting, and by leaks, I mean really bad fakes :P Someone did a whole video of "Ravio" which, ambitious fake, but the model is soooooo bad that it's extremely obvious how fake it is (the video is also pretty awkward for an official trailer... lots of ban camera pans, stiff character movements, etc). It also had a HUGE spoiler for who Ravio is in it, which I feel like Sakurai would not be that much of a dick - the game is not that old...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I dunno, Hyrule Warriors does spoil
    Midna's true identity, although that game IS nearly ten years old.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    A Ravio character who was more or less a toon link clone would be pretty cool, though.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    @Kupi, your character predictions exactly the same as mine.

As, there will be a Shovel Knight Mii Swordfighter costume. :P

Cokomon on
    post.png
  • Options
    Re: Ganondorf having his own moves.

I feel he's been slowly drifting away from Captain Falcon over the years. Flame Choke, yo. And his Smash moves are also starting to leak into other Zelda games. Like, one of his moves in Hyrule Warriors is just a Warlock Punch with an energy ball attached.

• Options
    I think Ganondorf's moveset is too beloved to remake him now.

I do think, however, they could get away with doing pig Ganon as a separate character.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular

The cover for the HD version of Twilight Princess spoils that too

• Options
    As for other Zelda characters... man, I just really want the HW version of Sheik. There are some really cool moves there.

Or the HW version of Impa. Or Midna. Heck, bring Lana in.

• Options
    edited December 2015

That game is so old though. So I don't think that's as big a deal. ALBW is still being sold in stores and I also think Ravio's identity is a WAY bigger spoiler than that one. (I actually think I would have been pissed if I had that spoiled for me... it was such an awesome reveal)

Anyways, I do think some of the abilities they picked for Ravio in the fake leak were kind of neat. He could merge into the floor to dodge attacks and also had the Sand Rod which moved in kind of a wave pattern of sand columns to knock opponents back. He also had his bird collect items, which seemed dumb and not really useful (the animation was SUPER slow and stiff, but then so was everything in that fake :P).

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Re: Ganondorf having his own moves.

I feel he's been slowly drifting away from Captain Falcon over the years. Flame Choke, yo.

where's the drift

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I think Ganondorf's moveset is too beloved to remake him now.

I do think, however, they could get away with doing pig Ganon as a separate character.

Just add Toon Ganondorf.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I think beast/pig Ganon would be a good addition. We already have 2 Links and 2 Zeldas. No reason we can't have 2 Ganons.

post.png
This discussion has been closed.