As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. - Final Smash Direct Dec. 15th @ 2pm PST

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Uhh... what the hell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khX4Akh1aCo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TglunV_tTXg

I guess the DLC is just out, right now. And it includes the Wind Waker stage from Brawl randomly?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Fuck. Of all the times for my Wii U's internet to be down, this is one of them.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Yay! This was the stage I missed the most from Brawl....one of my favorite stages. So happy it's back!

Apparently the Duck Hunt stage has been added as dlc to the 3DS version for free. That's cool...maybe they'll pull Corneria over to the Wii U.

Also Monster Hunter costumes for the Mii Fighter. Rathalos set! <3

CQIhwMVUkAAfemR.jpg

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Konami characters aren't out of the question -- they're happy to reuse their characters in pachinko machines and the like. If Sakurai came up to them and said "hey, I want to put Simon Belmont in the game, mind if I give you loads of money for the privilege and do all the work?" They'd probably say ".....'kay."

Sure, cross-licensing can be thorny, but Sony had zero problem getting the 47 guest stars for PlayStation Too Many Words Smash Bros.

Eh, they're happy to use their characters in the pachinko machines they made. There's no cross licensing or contracts or anything. Their toys, their work, their money.

If Sakurai came up to them and said all that, I'd sooner think they'd just say "No. Piss off.".

Eh, as goofy as they've been acting lately I doubt they'd turn down easy money/publicity. They're ruthless, but they're not running around setting piles of money on fire.

...well, maybe in Snake's case. I can see Konami's current leadership turning down a Snake revival out of a continued grudge over the MGSV situation. But given Konami's put loads of their old games on Virtual Console, even after the nuttiness started, they haven't gone full "get off my lawn" just yet.

I mean, I've learned something over the years, watching all manner of businesses in all manner of fields and industries.

Generally speaking, "free/easy money and publicity" means jack shit if they're not in complete control.

I've seen a whole wack of situations where it was literally free money doing absolutely nothing, and the company turns it down, either because they're not in control, or they're splitting the profits or something.

It's why I've started taking that phrase of "free money/publicity" as being almost completely meaningless. Just because it's free does not mean they're obligated to take it. And in many cases... they won't.

And in many cases, they will. Sure, companies turn down free, easy stuff, but it's not the norm. It's a pretty strong enticement. Granted, not everyone will accept free, easy stuff, but just because some won't under certain conditions, doesn't mean no one will. Again, Sony managed to convince loads of companies to play along with PlayStation Too Many Words Smash Bros.

Granted, I'm not saying Konami would definitely let a character be in Smash. But neither is it outside the realm of possibility.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Sweet, I loved the Wind Waker stage in Brawl. What a great surprise.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Hm, looks like the first time music tracks have repeated in the game. Little disappointing, but it's hard to get too down when my favorite stage from Brawl's back! Woo!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So I'm hearing that shield stun has been increased across the board.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    What a low-key, pleasant surprise we have in the addition of Pirate Ship.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Konami characters aren't out of the question -- they're happy to reuse their characters in pachinko machines and the like. If Sakurai came up to them and said "hey, I want to put Simon Belmont in the game, mind if I give you loads of money for the privilege and do all the work?" They'd probably say ".....'kay."

Sure, cross-licensing can be thorny, but Sony had zero problem getting the 47 guest stars for PlayStation Too Many Words Smash Bros.

Eh, they're happy to use their characters in the pachinko machines they made. There's no cross licensing or contracts or anything. Their toys, their work, their money.

If Sakurai came up to them and said all that, I'd sooner think they'd just say "No. Piss off.".

Eh, as goofy as they've been acting lately I doubt they'd turn down easy money/publicity. They're ruthless, but they're not running around setting piles of money on fire.

...well, maybe in Snake's case. I can see Konami's current leadership turning down a Snake revival out of a continued grudge over the MGSV situation. But given Konami's put loads of their old games on Virtual Console, even after the nuttiness started, they haven't gone full "get off my lawn" just yet.

I mean, I've learned something over the years, watching all manner of businesses in all manner of fields and industries.

Generally speaking, "free/easy money and publicity" means jack shit if they're not in complete control.

I've seen a whole wack of situations where it was literally free money doing absolutely nothing, and the company turns it down, either because they're not in control, or they're splitting the profits or something.

It's why I've started taking that phrase of "free money/publicity" as being almost completely meaningless. Just because it's free does not mean they're obligated to take it. And in many cases... they won't.

To quote Jim Sterling, "Companies would rather have no money than some money if they can't have all the money."

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options

Well, I mean, there are branding concerns and whether licensing out a character could be considered to "hurt the brand" (see: CDi games as an example of a bad licensing thing). But then you've got Konami making erotic pakinco machines, so umm... I think that ship has long since sailed for them. I'm pretty sure of any company, they would easily jump on something like that where they get money for almost no effort. (See: their move into almost entirely mobile gaming)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    Damn, they've been releasing some good Mii Fighter costumes lately. First Tales of Symphonia and now Monster Hunter! I really like the normal hunter set, it's great to see it get some representation in Smash. The toad costume is pretty weird but it's cool to have him finally playable in at least some form.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    So apparently the data miners have found an additional unused character and stage slot in the latest patch, bringing the total number of placeholder characters up to 3 and stages up to 2.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    They should add a Mii maker in game so you can more quickly customize.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Is it strange that my favorite smash controller is the Wii U tablet controller?

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Cokomon wrote: »
    So apparently the data miners have found an additional unused character and stage slot in the latest patch, bringing the total number of placeholder characters up to 3 and stages up to 2.

So, assuming that's the last of the stuff we'd get, that would bring us up to 52 stages and 56 characters. Yow.

• Options
    Calling Wolf reveal right now.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Would have been perfect timing to announce Wolf in November/December if Star Fox didn't get delayed. I do think we're getting him, but part of me thinks they'll wait on him until Star Fox is actually ready to come out.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Would have been perfect timing to announce Wolf in November/December if Star Fox didn't get delayed. I do think we're getting him, but part of me thinks they'll wait on him until Star Fox is actually ready to come out.

Nah, I think they still will. I'm sure that was the plan already and they've probably worked on him most out of any others, so no sense in delaying. They didn't delay the Falco amiibo. They need to do something to announce the Fighter Ballot results so I'm thinking he will be announced during that.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »

My roommate prefers it.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »

I'm tempted to purchase an offbrand WiiU controller styled after a dual shock controller, but I also prefer the tablet out of all of Nintendo's official controllers.

I really wish Nintendo would stop using the glossy plastic for everything we touch though. That's for things we LOOK at, not things we touch.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So... looks like Diddy Kong has a pretty nice glitch about him, allowing him to be ungrabable by an opponent.

This is causing several tournaments to temp or soft-ban him.

If a shielding diddy kong drops the shield after the first hit of a combo string (multi-hit jab attacks, or just fast jabs like on fox/marth, multi-hit specials as well), and then DROPS the shield and gets hit by the later hits of that combo, he's left in a state where you cannot grab him. If he dies, or even if his shield gets hit by another attack, it resets.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Did someone say leak? Is the L word still banned around here?

http://i.imgur.com/ryat6gw.jpg

So apparently a post from the 7th of September mentioned "Pirate Ship" as the last returning DLC stage. They then go on to say K. Rool, Wolf and Bomberman are the ballot winners. Bomberman is a spiritual successor to Snake, sharing some of his moves. This is corroborated with the evidence of 3 open character slots.

Then the image goes on to talk about Shovel Knight also being a part of this and coming out in November, for some reason.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    There is no way in hell Bomberman gets any of Snake's moves. That doesn't even make sense.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Well, Snake's B-moves were...

- A timed explosive
    - A remote-detonated explosive
    - A fly-by-wire explosive
    - ... and a personal helicopter.

It's not that far-fetched. (But all leaks are fake.)

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »

- A timed explosive

Not to mention his forward Smash, up Smash and down Smash were explosives of some kind.

post.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Those read like the fevered rambling of a madman.

241967029_3V9PQ-1050x10000.jpg

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    -Bomberman was previously a Hudson IP.
    -Before Konami (dum dum dum!) bought them out.
    -Who have proceeded to do absolutely nothing with those IP's under their control.
    -So you're in negotiations with Konami for a Smash Bros character... and you're picking Bomberman?!?!

Yeah, no damn way that's true. The only way it would even remotely make sense is if they had such a ridiculously desperate desire to reuse Snake's assets.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »

- A timed explosive

But it was like, a rocket launcher and stuff. The way his moves worked were nowhere near how Bomberman's bombs work. If you are going to do Bomberman, do Bomberman. Don't do Snake Jr.

• Options
    Bomberman makes perfect sense and probably has enough votes to justify his entry.

If they wanted to just clone Snake to another character so the moveset isn't wasted, then there's a number of characters they could use such as numerous Advance Wars characters. Snake's kit would fit perfectly with someone like Sami, so I'm not sure why Bomberman would be picked for that.

Unless...

it's Bomberman Zero

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Yeah, my main problem with Bomberman is that they would have to go through Konami, which seems to defeat the purpose of replacing Snake.

Cokomon on
    post.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Yeah exactly. Someone from Advance Wars would be a perfect way to do it. Bomberman just doesn't make sense to me though for his moveset. Bomberman should be like, normal bombs that explode in a + shape. Maybe he can summon one of those Kangaroo things, I dunno. Would be neat if he had some mechanic where he could increase the blast radius of his explosions at the risk of hitting himself in them.

Anyways, all that said - I don't see Bomberman over Simon Belmont or some other Konami character. Hell, I bet Snake got more Ballot votes. And I think Konami in general might be iffy given how weird that company has gotten. Sakurai may not want to deal with them.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    A Belmont makes a ton more sense - Castlevania is a big franchise and has had a ton of entries on Nintendo systems.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    One Konami character with all those different skins!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      KupiKupi Registered User regular
      Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. If Bomberman got into Smash, it certainly wouldn't be as a re-skin of Snake. I'm just saying that it would be much less of a stretch than other such hot-swaps would be.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    • Options
      I would love LOVE any and all of those Konami amiibo

• Options
        I submitted a vote for Karnov... I was probably the lone vote.

• Options
          Maybe Snake lives on through Bomberman's arm?

post.png
        • Options
          agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
          There's no point in waiting the the ballot announcement, Pichu will have won by a landslide.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
        • Options
          I'd laugh pretty hard if Pichu's final smash did like 30% to itself.

YL9WnCY.png
        • Options
          RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
          I'd laugh pretty hard if Pichu's final smash did like 33% to itself.
          Pikachu's should, taking into account that it's the secondary effect of Volt Tackle.

This discussion has been closed.