As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Watercolor Illustration Style

GrieforGloryGrieforGlory Houston, TXRegistered User regular
This week I was really inspired by Fabien Mense's comics and the watercolor look that he came up with. I played with some photoshop brushes and textures and was able to achieve the same effect. It's a really great style for comics but's it's very efficient (coloring mutliple panels gets tedious).

Example from Fabien Mense
1ai61q7uhqha.jpg

My Example
587ehe4y2v90.jpg

I'm not sure if you guys have heard of the Webtoons Comic contest - if not you should check it out. I just submitted my comic called, "Almost There." You can read it at webtoons.com/challenge/episodeList?titleNo=729. Let me know what you guys think and if you want I can try to put a tutorial together for doing this style of coloring in Photoshop.

www.MyMegaGame.com The Ultimate World Leaders Political Science MegaGame

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Not sure this looks particularly "watercolor" I know dmac had a really sweet digital watercolor effete. It was a rabbit and I think some other things. I'll see if I can find it for you.

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/183554/dmac-is-too-damn-busy-to-draw/p2

Check out his page 2. The jackalope and Groot. Is this what you had in mind?

• GrieforGloryGrieforGlory Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    That brush he is using is pretty good, but what more difficult is getting nice textures over all your layers that don't affect the colors too much.

www.MyMegaGame.com The Ultimate World Leaders Political Science MegaGame
    edited December 2014
    i was looking at this on my phone. On my comp it looks a lot more like watercolor! Sweet textures too. I couldn't really see them on my phone.

NakedZergling on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    i'm having an absolute blast with Kyle Webster's watercolor brushes. No need for those pesky texture layers messing the colours up.