As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bob Saget [chat]

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I've also purchased two copies of ME2, and two copies of ME3

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    my kitten is the bestest ever and everyone needs to know <3

pics or it didn't happen!

nuuuuu she is MINE

my gf <3

fuck gendered marketing
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    here:

"Dude (Looks Like A Lady)"

[Chorus:]
    That, that dude looks like a lady

Cruise into a bar on the shore
    Her picture graced the grime on the door
    She's a long lost love at first bite
    Baby maybe you're wrong but you know it's all right
    That's right

That, that
    That, that

Backstage we're havin' the time
    Of our lives until somebody say
    Forgive me if I seem out of line
    Then she whipped out her gun and tried to blow me away!

[Chorus]

Never judge a book by it's cover
    Or who you gonna love by your lover
    Sayin' love put me wise to her love in disguise
    She had the body of a Venus, Lord imagine my surprise.

[Chorus]

So baby let me follow you down (let me take a peek dear)
    Baby let me follow you down (do me, do me, do me all night)
    Baby let me follow you down (turn the other cheek dear)
    Baby let me follow you down (do me, do me, do me, do me)

Ooh, what a funky lady
    Ooh, she like it, like it, like it, like that.
    Ooh, he was a lady!

[Chorus 2x]

Dude, dude, dude, dude looks like a lady

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    How many of you thought I
    wear fedora: sorry if you don't like what it means, get judged, them's the breaks, suck it up.

wear microskirt and strappy red 6in heels: how dare you judge, you can't assume something just by how a person dresses, that's appalling

hmm

Did anyone in chat say either of these

Come onnnn

The first one? yes!

The second one? Not recently.

What I find interesting is that, despite everything I've said over the years about my stance on women's rights and everything my wife and daughter have said about that, people are assuming my problem is with the second sentence instead of with the first one.

And taking me to task for it.

That's pretty fucking lame.

No, you absolutely have a problem with the first part

The point being made is that the two are very different, and the comparison is faulty

hmm

maybe

I feel like judging someone for dressing like a hooker isn't any different from judging someone for dressing like Mr. Milady.
    But I suppose my opinions on this are a lot more complex because at the same time I think people ought not be identified as terrible (or slutty or prudish or nerdy or sleazy) because of their dress, I also think that appropriate dress for occasion is a thing that has social value and ought to be retained. Inherent in that is judging someone for failing to hit the mark, or for disregarding convention.

hmm.

I would not think a lady is a slut because she's dressed provocatively, but I would think that a lady was an idiot for wearing a pencil skirt and heels to a 4th of July BBQ and bonfire held in the back pasture of the neighbor's farm.

I will certainly aquaman-face people lacking fanciness at the fancy dinner! But I wouldn't think every fedora at pax was a badge of shame.

The problem isn't people silently judging a woman for dressing "sluttily".

The problem is people assaulting women for dressing "sluttily".

No I think the first one is a problem too, at least in some contexts.

The contexts aren't the same at all.

If you want to justify why it's oh so terrible to make fun of someone wearing a fedora then do that. Don't try to make an analogy with some other different thing.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Skippy has never been mean to me! I used to think it was just because I don't lol anymore

Fight me hodgeheg

I can take it

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    This dwarf from Witcher 3 is pretty metal

sb0kdh.jpg

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I should wear a hat now that I'm a bald for the same reason will

I haven't been able to go for anything other than a dull gray baseball cap thus far

you could almost certainly pull it off

i'm sure it would look fine on you and also gay dudes get a lot more latitude for being fashionably adventurous

and also not suspected of misogyny quite the same way as a straight

tho to be honest a lot of gay dudes have nastily dismissive sorts of attitudes towards women that doesn't usually register as "misogyny" but probably should

yeah, it's still misogyny, just a completely different kind
    it is definitely still misogyny

eww vagina
    eww what is it even
    so gross
    how can you like that

way to come full circle vapid-gays
    way to come full circle

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    cleaning lady just came in to take the trash.
    i think...i think she farted in my office.

You bougie pig

You deserve it

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Try hard means in an in house they pick a hard counter for teemo every time you pick teemo

those jerks

as a teemo

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    The thing that irks me the most about the race riots currently brewing is that Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson are absolutely worthless glory hogs that have been using the misery of others for their personal profit. Yet somehow the media deemed them as the kings of the black people. It's so frustrating. Like these out of touch goofs are being looked at as representatives of such a large swatch of people. It be dumb.

Jackson ended up in that role because he was seen as a more charismatic leader and there was a lot of resentment to Ralph Abernathy. Honestly after the death of MLK, that charge would have been laid at the feet of anyone heading up the SLCC including Jackson. And there was a fair amount of push within the Black community and the SLCC for Jackson to be the new face of the movement.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular

I haven't been able to go for anything other than a dull gray baseball cap thus far

i'm sure it would look fine on you and also gay dudes get a lot more latitude for being fashionably adventurous

tho to be honest a lot of gay dudes have nastily dismissive sorts of attitudes towards women that doesn't usually register as "misogyny" but probably should

eww vagina
    eww what is it even
    so gross
    how can you like that

way to come full circle

Dan Savage is pretty notable for this kind of casual sexism, for example

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Also there are persistent rumors of an ME trilogy HD rerelease/remake for the Bone/PS4 console generation so it's possible that ME1 might be getting a welcome facelift and some gameplay overhauled.

If they basically brought the first two games' shooting up to the standard of the third and maybe (cough) rewrote a few key sequences in ME3 I would gladly pay the tall dollar

oh yes absolutely

the story & characters of ME1 (and, fine, ME2) with the mechanics of ME3

amazing

Wqdwp8l.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    fyi if they pick hard counter to teemo just leave top lane and double up in mid, your teammate will appreciate the assistance and happily share his minions with you

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    the fuck, m8.

The guy who wanted me to make him an intro for his twitch channel?

He's offering me a cut of his twitch earnings..

i'm getting paid, whoo.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I am pretty sure I made fun of will to his face at dinner for his hat one time

you are in good company

I demand to be included in your list of hurtful recollections

in my catalog for hurtful recollections, "skippydumptruck" has its own separate index

oh god

skippy has pointed out every one of my biggest insecurities in person

how can someone who looks so nice be so cruel

@Skippydumptruck can only achieve orgasm by others being in pain.

He is the meanest

Hatin on me all the time, he also dissed me IRL.

Guys we should form a support group. "Living with Skippy"

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Speaking of dwarves

@Vanguard‌ (can't remember other 40k players)

My cousin has a bunch of 40K stuff from yearrrrs ago he is passing onto me for chrisssmasss if he can track it down

I THINK it is all spacemarines which I thought are boring but HEY free 40K intro

but then my friend was all "if you do get spacemarines, you should modify them into squatties" and I was like

HELL
    YES

Dwarves in all things

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    The thing that irks me the most about the race riots currently brewing is that Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson are absolutely worthless glory hogs that have been using the misery of others for their personal profit. Yet somehow the media deemed them as the kings of the black people. It's so frustrating. Like these out of touch goofs are being looked at as representatives of such a large swatch of people. It be dumb.

when i lived in DC, my black neighbors had really ambivalent feelings about jackson and sharpton

they liked that they were able to throw their weight around and get white people to pay attention, like they were important

but every story about them painted them as being stuck up assholes who didn't really care about black people but just used them as a way to glorify themselves

like, you know, jesse jackson wouldn't even deign to talk to a waiter when ordering - his assistant did that - but then he'd go outside and hug an orphan in front of cameras

honestly i think black folks and white folks have pretty similar opinions about jesse jackson

Former presidential candidate Jesse Jackson. Keep Hope Alive.

There was a point where he was the cock of the walk.

eww vagina
    eww what is it even
    so gross
    how can you like that

way to come full circle

Yeah. I adore him for everything he has done. Unfortunately he has published some very terrible things and will never escape them. I think he does great work for bringing queerness to straight people: I.E. its okay to butt play, its okay to want something other than feudal monogamy, its okay to be in to different things. Also he has done a great job bringing queerness to main-line LG folk.

But his attitude towards trans and bi folk is classic terrible.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    heyyyyyyyyyyyyy everybody

i am tired after touring and measuring 5 goodwill stores

all toolin' around with my little rolly device that counts feet

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure I made fun of will to his face at dinner for his hat one time

you are in good company

I demand to be included in your list of hurtful recollections

in my catalog for hurtful recollections, "skippydumptruck" has its own separate index

oh god

skippy has pointed out every one of my biggest insecurities in person

how can someone who looks so nice be so cruel

@Skippydumptruck can only achieve orgasm by others being in pain.

He is the meanest

Hatin on me all the time, he also dissed me IRL.

Guys we should form a support group. "Living with Skippy"

and then he does that ridiculous mellifluous chuckle he has, which is part santa, part child poking a wasps nest and part operatic basement dweller supervillain

FWIW watching the social justice machine absolutely rage against him was very disrespectful and disproportionate to the attitudes that he maintains.

I support the ever ceasing ouroboros because it is necessary to create better and better iterations of social justice values but the ability and propensity for incredibly young and historically ignorant queer people to froth at the mouth about concepts that they know little of is a very sad thing that I don't think should be encouraged.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @spool32‌ @‌eddy @ronya‌

You guys might find this interesting.

A look at the lawyers who bring cases before the Supreme Court

Guess it is a shrinking number of lawyers. They say 43% of cases are presented by the same 1% of lawyers. Many with connections to the justices themselves.

They talked to 8 Justices with only one not commenting being Roberts. They see efficient and effective representation better than diversity when it comes to promoting the law.

I mean it is an interesting argument. In a way it makes sense. Many of these lawyers know how to present an effective case to the court to rule on. But at the same diversity means a diversity on what is being ruled on and against or for who.

Also heard it on the Kojo Nnamdi show and there were some good points there. It is worth a listen if you time.

http://thekojonnamdishow.org/shows/2014-12-15/the_echo_chamber_at_the_supreme_court

u7stthr17eud.png
    he would do it each time he stole my red or blue in LoL

then he'd laugh and run away

later promising he wouldn't do it ever again

• stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    skippy is always perfectly nice to me this just sounds like you all need to get on our level

• stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    expanded my horizons so that I now have viable decks for five classes in Hearthstone. Still can't seem to open a pack with cards for a single one of them. Hearthstone you trollin

i remember when skippy gave me a bunch of books. he brought them out to my car all orderly in two boxes.

cool, i think. then he takes the boxes and just upends them and dumps all the books in my trunk everywhere.

i'm like wat! why! and he goes 'i need the boxes' and laughs and then he probably kicked me and a puppy

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular

eww vagina
    eww what is it even
    so gross
    how can you like that

way to come full circle

Yeah. I adore him for everything he has done. Unfortunately he has published some very terrible things and will never escape them. I think he does great work for bringing queerness to straight people: I.E. its okay to butt play, its okay to want something other than feudal monogamy, its okay to be in to different things. Also he has done a great job bringing queerness to main-line LG folk.

yeah, used to really like his column and I appreciate the "It Gets Better" movement, because teenage me would have really benefited from it

but there's a lot of his shtick that I find genuinely unpleasant

I think the tipping point was some commentary he did on NPR which made me feel like
    this guy should maybe not be the figurehead of a movement about being OK as a queer person
    because clearly he doesn't think it's OK to be something other than a gay dude or a straight-but-openminded person

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

when i lived in DC, my black neighbors had really ambivalent feelings about jackson and sharpton

they liked that they were able to throw their weight around and get white people to pay attention, like they were important

but every story about them painted them as being stuck up assholes who didn't really care about black people but just used them as a way to glorify themselves

like, you know, jesse jackson wouldn't even deign to talk to a waiter when ordering - his assistant did that - but then he'd go outside and hug an orphan in front of cameras

honestly i think black folks and white folks have pretty similar opinions about jesse jackson

Yeah It's just frustrating. A big event occurs and those dudes are in the spotlight. Gross. Ah well.

steam_sig.png
    skippy is always perfectly nice to me this just sounds like you all need to get on our level

i dont know he definitely didn't abandon all of his responsibilities immediately after his new bab was born to watch roller derby with us so he is basically literally hitler

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    he would do it each time he stole my red or blue in LoL

then he'd laugh and run away

later promising he wouldn't do it ever again

I told a non-gamer parent about this and aram health flashing and he said Skippy deserved to be mocked for being tired when his kid was born

sig.gif
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    JFLpVUr.jpg

FUCK YOU BANANA

JUST

FUCKIN

FUCK OFF BRO

FUCK

FUCK I HATE BANANAS

FUCK

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Also there are persistent rumors of an ME trilogy HD rerelease/remake for the Bone/PS4 console generation so it's possible that ME1 might be getting a welcome facelift and some gameplay overhauled.

If they basically brought the first two games' shooting up to the standard of the third and maybe (cough) rewrote a few key sequences in ME3 I would gladly pay the tall dollar

oh yes absolutely

the story & characters of ME1 (and, fine, ME2) with the mechanics of ME3

amazing

I mean, as long as I'm fantasizing, they could stand to tighten up ME2. The recruitment and loyalty stuff (which, to be fair, is the real heart of the game) is great but the main plot has some weird hinks.

Oh, and it would be rad if they went with their original design (which the game still has all the content for, just locked away on the disc!) where all the recruitment options were available right from the beginning, so you could, for instance, recruit Legion before Garrus or whatever. There are whole dialogue exchanges and scenes that exist in a basically complete state but can only be seen if you haxxor the game files to allow this.

rRwz9.gif
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

yes it's a very unfortunate and baffling problem amongst some gays. I guess that we're 'allowed' to be mean to women or something.

i mean at the end of the day, sexual attraction tends to drive social interest, even just subconsciously. from that particular angle, women don't have much to offer gay guys. it's easy i think to just think "why are these people i am not interested in showing up and making things about them?!"

there is also the whole "hag" phenomenon where self-loathing ladies seek out gay guys for company and end up being kind of pitied and tolerated and that probably drives attitudes too.

and also spurned aggressive sexual interest seems to be a big component of straight dude misogyny.

yeah I am sort of bad at this. my best friend is a lady and I love her but uh

if I'm going to be honest i'm much better at remembering the names of men and things about them because I find them sexually interesting. even if i'm not attracted to them at all. which is something I hate admitting about myself but there you go. on the other hand I am very good friends with some ladies because I feel I can get close to them and not have to worry about falling for them. That hasn't happened to me with a straight dude in a long time, but it's still a concern.

I don't really have any gay friends except for gays I've met on the boards, and I think a big part of that is that I can't deal with someone who might want to sleep with me and I might actually want to sleep with them back, especially if I'm with a dude i'm probably going to marry. It's just a tension I've avoided like the plague most of my life, and oddly enough it's served me quite well.

but If i'm going to put on my psychologist hat, I would say some gays hate women because they grew up falling for dudes who like women, and they feel that the women (who sometimes cheat, are bad partners, and don't like having giving sex - just like men) don't deserve the dudes they spend so many years pining for.

i miss skippy

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

It caused some dialogue at least. Honestly, I get way more bisexual erasure from straight women now then I do gay guys. Also the straight women all seem to assume that being bi means I'm some sort of stealth gay who just wants to be seen as straight. If so, they don't appear to understand what stealth means.

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    FWIW watching the social justice machine absolutely rage against him was very disrespectful and disproportionate to the attitudes that he maintains.

I support the ever ceasing ouroboros because it is necessary to create better and better iterations of social justice values but the ability and propensity for incredibly young and historically ignorant queer people to froth at the mouth about concepts that they know little of is a very sad thing that I don't think should be encouraged.

i think this is a problem with progressives in general.

like, social justice is about incremental progress. that's how it happens. but of course even the most liberal of people will find their values calcifying as they age, having been informed by the fights of their youth. it's probably better IMO to cut these people a little slack

but then again if it weren't a neverending cycle of nasty infighting and backbiting it wouldn't be progressive culture.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    @spool32‌ @‌eddy @ronya‌

You guys might find this interesting.

A look at the lawyers who bring cases before the Supreme Court

Guess it is a shrinking number of lawyers. They say 43% of cases are presented by the same 1% of lawyers. Many with connections to the justices themselves.

They talked to 8 Justices with only one not commenting being Roberts. They see efficient and effective representation better than diversity when it comes to promoting the law.

I mean it is an interesting argument. In a way it makes sense. Many of these lawyers know how to present an effective case to the court to rule on. But at the same diversity means a diversity on what is being ruled on and against or for who.

Also heard it on the Kojo Nnamdi show and there were some good points there. It is worth a listen if you time.

http://thekojonnamdishow.org/shows/2014-12-15/the_echo_chamber_at_the_supreme_court

I'd wonder if the same is vaguely true at most specialist or higher courts. Chambers in London especially could be bad for this, but then small jurisdictions also suffer.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
This discussion has been closed.