As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon Age: Inquisition] - Jaws Of Hakkon DLC out now for PC, XONE - others in May

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    On Cole, Varrick, and Solas:
    I don't get why Varrick presumes to know more about spirits than Solas. I mean, I like the idea that Cole can become more of a person, but... C'mon, Varrick is a dwarven merchant and Solas has been studying the Fade and spirits his entire life. In what universe would I defer to Varrick's idealism born of ignorance over Solas' lifetime of knowledge and expertise?

Is Cole different than most spirits? Sure, I concede that. But he's still a spirit and will never be a real person. It's part of nature.

Similar to how Dagna is different than most dwarves, but will still never be a mage no matter how hard she tries.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why they picked Varrick as a counter to Solas when there are two other mages and two templars that could give better counter-arguments than a romanticised concept of what makes a person a person. Varrick is probably the worst person for that quest given dwarven nature.
    I think you're missing the point of this plot's dilemma. The question is not "who knows more about spirits"--it's instead a question of head vs. heart. Varric is bros with/fatherly to Cole and believes instinctively, out of friendship, that Cole can be human. Solas has an academic argument--from his long study of spirits, reason suggests that Cole can't be human. (Although one gets the sense there's some personal in there as well, as Solas feels comfortable around spirits but not so much around people. However, he won't actually articulate that argument).

Your choice as the Inquisitor is whether you decide to believe in the power of friendship, or whether you should go with elven scholar and his reasonable arguments that it's a bad idea.

There's also the whole other layer of whether you are asking Cole to change his fundamental nature in order to fit in better with the Inquisition, or whether you're giving him the chance to live the dream (of being human).

But this quest is never set up as Varric's spirit knowledge vs Solas's spirit knowledge. It's more like faith vs knowledge.

Cole:
    I get the theme, I'm arguing that the execution falls flat.

At what point before the quest does Varrick ever express interest in Cole? Varrick has never mentioned Cole. Varrick wasn't present in Cole's recruitment. Varrick and Cole never talk to or mention each other outside of random party banter that I personally never heard, but I presume it exists. So why does Varrick care aside from some vague romanticized ideal? Where is the set-up?

But beyond that, why should I believe that Varrick could be right?

Think of it like this:

You are the parent of a child with a severe psychological disorder. Two people volunteer their help. One is a world-renowned expert on child psychology. The other is a popular author of a detective series.

Who do you trust to be correct?

Sure, Varrick could accidentally be right, but I'd never trust his expertise on spirits, demons, the Fade, or magical things.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    On Cole, Varrick, and Solas:
    I don't get why Varrick presumes to know more about spirits than Solas. I mean, I like the idea that Cole can become more of a person, but... C'mon, Varrick is a dwarven merchant and Solas has been studying the Fade and spirits his entire life. In what universe would I defer to Varrick's idealism born of ignorance over Solas' lifetime of knowledge and expertise?

Is Cole different than most spirits? Sure, I concede that. But he's still a spirit and will never be a real person. It's part of nature.

Similar to how Dagna is different than most dwarves, but will still never be a mage no matter how hard she tries.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why they picked Varrick as a counter to Solas when there are two other mages and two templars that could give better counter-arguments than a romanticised concept of what makes a person a person. Varrick is probably the worst person for that quest given dwarven nature.
    I think you're missing the point of this plot's dilemma. The question is not "who knows more about spirits"--it's instead a question of head vs. heart. Varric is bros with/fatherly to Cole and believes instinctively, out of friendship, that Cole can be human. Solas has an academic argument--from his long study of spirits, reason suggests that Cole can't be human. (Although one gets the sense there's some personal in there as well, as Solas feels comfortable around spirits but not so much around people. However, he won't actually articulate that argument).

Your choice as the Inquisitor is whether you decide to believe in the power of friendship, or whether you should go with elven scholar and his reasonable arguments that it's a bad idea.

There's also the whole other layer of whether you are asking Cole to change his fundamental nature in order to fit in better with the Inquisition, or whether you're giving him the chance to live the dream (of being human).

But this quest is never set up as Varric's spirit knowledge vs Solas's spirit knowledge. It's more like faith vs knowledge.

Cole:
    I get the theme, I'm arguing that the execution falls flat.

At what point before the quest does Varrick ever express interest in Cole? Varrick has never mentioned Cole. Varrick wasn't present in Cole's recruitment. Varrick and Cole never talk to or mention each other outside of random party banter that I personally never heard, but I presume it exists. So why does Varrick care aside from some vague romanticized ideal? Where is the set-up?

But beyond that, why should I believe that Varrick could be right?

Think of it like this:

You are the parent of a child with a severe psychological disorder. Two people volunteer their help. One is a world-renowned expert on child psychology. The other is a popular author of a detective series.

Who do you trust to be correct?

Sure, Varrick could accidentally be right, but I'd never trust his expertise on spirits, demons, the Fade, or magical things.

That's weird. Several times talking to Cole in Skyhold he's mentioned how he likes talking to Varric because he's quieter than other people.

• Options
    I'll concede that part could be a bug.

Cole often disappeared in Skyhold when I tried to talk to him.
    I assumed he wanted to be alone, so he would make me temporarily forget and he wouldn't be there.

It happened a lot.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    "Blackwall, Iron Bull... We could fight crime!"
    "Isn't that what we're doing, right this minute?"
    "Oh. Right."

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    So, I just had a little epiphany about red lyrium.
    We learn in this game that it's blighted lyrium, right? Well, the first piece we find is the idol in the Primeval Thaig in DA2. Which apparently predates the first blight. Which raises interesting questions.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Oh, one of my favorite little details after Cole's loyalty quest:
    Instead of saying "How do you know?" or "Probably." in response to "Talk to you later," he now understands the expression and replies normally.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I like Blackwall's dialog a lot, in general, but his romance is pretty bland.
    Might as well shout that HIS PARENTS ARE DEAD over and over.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Have they still not figured out how to streamline the MP expansions into the main game? *sigh*

Also, boo to that thread title. Boo, I say! More like "Everyone incessantly expects the Inquisition," amirite?

Bassguy on
  • Options
    Cole: He was their enemy the whole time, but she made him forget, so he could change.
    Nice Revan and Bastila reference.
    Oh, one of my favorite little details after Cole's loyalty quest:
    Instead of saying "How do you know?" or "Probably." in response to "Talk to you later," he now understands the expression and replies normally.

Yeah,
    After I made him more of a spirit, when I say, "Talk to you later."

Cole responds with, "Yes."

I really wish I wasn't a dagger rogue, I'd use Cole more often.

Next time...

steam_sig.png

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Bassguy wrote: »
    Have they still not figured out how to streamline the MP expansions into the main game? *sigh*

Also, boo to that thread title. Boo, I say! More like "Everyone incessantly expects the Inquisition," amirite?

That's what you get for slacking and not making the new thread! =P

• Options
    edited December 2014
    am0n wrote: »

I was thinking "Dragon Age Thread — (Disgusted Noise)", "Dragon Age Thread — Into darkness, unafraid", or the old standby "Dragon Age Thread — Solas disapproves" :P

Bassguy on
  • Options
    Cole's post-quest conversation is pretty awesome. My favorite so far.
    Skip to 11:45 if the video doesn't do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgNZg52q9_g#t=705

steam_sig.png

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Blackwall.
    Damn, this Thom Rainier twist.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

I was thinking "Dragon Age Thread — (Disgusted Noise)", "Dragon Age Thread — Into darkness, unafraid", or the old standby "Dragon Age Thread — Solas disapproves" :P
    Tell ya what - you can get the next thread. :3

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

At the rate you guys reply, that should take like... 4 days, tops.

• Options
  • Options
    edited December 2014

:P I'm just foolin', mate.

Also, it seems that whatever that new MP pack is, it's not live on PSN yet. Weird that BioWare went live with their post saying it's available now, but didn't mention not on all platforms.

Bassguy on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    There's not enough lens flare for Dragon Age - Into Darkness

Also, too many non white people.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    johnmd20johnmd20 Registered User regular
    Cole's post-quest conversation is pretty awesome. My favorite so far.
    Skip to 11:45 if the video doesn't do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgNZg52q9_g#t=705

That's great. Thanks for posting.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    "Dragon Age Thread - Ironically, Spiders"

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    "Dragon Age Thread - Ironically, Spiders"

We have a winner.

:+1:

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Just watched a Cole/Solas banter video. I want any DLC to include more conversations between them about cryptic movie references. I mean, City of Angels? Man, but that's a deep cut, Taky.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    *New paths on existing three maps.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    We learn in this game that it's blighted lyrium, right? Well, the first piece we find is the idol in the Primeval Thaig in DA2. Which apparently predates the first blight. Which raises interesting questions.
    My thoughts as well, the trouble is the darkspawn were also in the Thaig, and so they may have spread the Blight to the Lyrium

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    *New paths on existing three maps.

Same thing!

• Options
    Blackwall:
    Man, fuck that guy.

Sure, I spared him, but I told him that he's going to the Wardens when all is said and done, like he was supposed to before he pussed out.

I hope he chokes on the Joining chalice.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Blackwall:
    Man, fuck that guy.

Sure, I spared him, but I told him that he's going to the Wardens when all is said and done, like he was supposed to before he pussed out.

This, to me, is irony when considering your views on Sera.
    Because Thom/Blackwall does exactly what you think Sera should do.

1) He did something bad, and fled his crime instead of owning up for it.
    2) He was recruited by the Grey Wardens, which they have full jurisdiction to do.
    3) When his Grey Warden sponsor was killed, he took up the mantle of his sponsor and attempted to do the right thing.
    4) When he heard of one of his subordinates being held responsible for his own crime, he interrupted the execution and confessed.
    5) He literally calls you on it when you break him out of jail.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    My thoughts as well, the trouble is the darkspawn were also in the Thaig, and so they may have spread the Blight to the Lyrium
    Nah, there were darkspawn in the roads on your way there, but once you get to the thaig all you see are demons.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    My method of dealing with it was to do one or two tasks, then jump back to base, talk to everybody, then repeat.

I did it with Mass Effect too and felt like I got a far more complete story by going back to the Citadel after every major planet.

I guess my issue is a completionist run means a lot of aimless wandering and jumping punctuated by comparatively brief snippets of plot and character interaction. I'm normally compelled to do everything I can in one go, but it just seems like categorically the worst way to play the game here.

Also having not played Legacy, I'm a little lost now that (minor post-Skyhold-arrival spoilers)
    Hawke has shown up and he and Varric are all "Corypheus? Oh yeah, that guy, we totally killed him. Big adventure, long story, don't know why he's back."

It just feels a little strange to pick a major antagonist from DLC.
    I did that for three quarters of my first game and burned out. The zones were pretty awesome though.

My second run, I'm just doing bare minimum until I get to a place I haven't completed before.

Yeah, that's basically how I'm feeling. It's murder on my OCD tendencies, but I'm gradually learning that it's okay to not do everything on the map. I mean they're often gorgeous - I could sit and just watch waves crash on the Storm Coast - but fuck. I can't recall ever complaining about there being too much stuff before, and I kind of feel like a dick for it. "No I'm sorry, there's just too much game here, take some of it back please. Maybe put some of that effort into the UI or something, thank you."

Maybe this is just me, but: Sera, Vivienne, and all of Emprise Du Lion felt like day one DLC someone decided to add back into the base game at some point. Alternatively, Emprise Du Lion was a main quest area that was cut out of the main quest.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Blackwall:
    Man, fuck that guy.

This, to me, is irony when considering your views on Sera.
    Because Thom/Blackwall does exactly what you think Sera should do.

1) He did something bad, and fled his crime instead of owning up for it.
    2) He was recruited by the Grey Wardens, which they have full jurisdiction to do.
    3) When his Grey Warden sponsor was killed, he took up the mantle of his sponsor and attempted to do the right thing.
    4) When he heard of one of his subordinates being held responsible for his own crime, he interrupted the execution and confessed.
    5) He literally calls you on it when you break him out of jail.

Blackwall
    Two points of order.

One, I didn't break him out, I requested he be turned over to the Inquisition and in order to judge him. I used proper channels to do so and Celine gave authority to me based on the Warden treaties as context.

And second, taking the mantle of the real Blackwall was not the right thing to do. He did it because he's a coward and he even admits it when you ask. He openly tells you that the reason he took Blackwall's name and didn't continue to join the Wardens was because he was afraid they'd believe he killed the real Blackwall. The right thing to do would have been to tell the Wardens about Blackwall's death and attempt to join them, which they probably would have accepted.

Also: Blackwall's guilt and Sera's lack of responsibility are not the same thing and I don't grade people on a curve. I have separate feelings on Blackwall's guilt for murdering a family and Sera's responsibility toward the Jennies she uses to troll the nobility, based on the context of their specific circumstances.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    So where is this cheat engine thing? I'd like to explore the ball without worrying about court favor or not being able to open the right doors.

• Options
    I'm still getting this schizophrenic reaction with my Keep import:
    When contacting the Warden, he sent a letter to both Leliana and Morrigan. Both characters talked about how they love him and the personal nature of the letters.

Even the frigging Codex had two paragraphs with respect to both. Even though I never so much as kissed Morrigan in my settings.

Seriously, check it out:

nTLpbfe.png

Afterwards, Leliana is all, "Awww my love."

Morrigan then goes, "The things in [my] letter would make even an Orlesian blush."

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    it's on origin as well. just noticed.

...still haven't played the MP yet.

This game is long, fuck it's longer than bgt and i still never did a solid playthrough of that due to burn out. :/

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I'm still getting this schizophrenic reaction with my Keep import:
    When contacting the Warden, he sent a letter to both Leliana and Morrigan. Both characters talked about how they love him and the personal nature of the letters.

Even the frigging Codex had two paragraphs with respect to both. Even though I never so much as kissed Morrigan in my settings.

Seriously, check it out:

nTLpbfe.png

Afterwards, Leliana is all, "Awww my love."

Morrigan then goes, "The things in [my] letter would make even an Orlesian blush."

I think I know what happened.
    Morrigan, friendless and terrible, intercepted your message to the Warden and wrote the reply herself. After all, she's the only one in the world who would consider her wise or powerful. She proved in DA:O that she was neither of those things time and again.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    it's on origin as well. just noticed.

...still haven't played the MP yet.

This game is long, fuck it's longer than bgt and i still never did a solid playthrough of that due to burn out. :/
    BGT?
    Baldur's Gate Two?

Baldur's Gate Tactics? Baldur's Gate Trilogy?

hippofant on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    trilogy, its a mod. both games and expansions together in bg2 engine with other mods too. its ...a long game.

This discussion has been closed.