As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All Dogs Go To Heaven (And Taste Delicious) [movies]

• Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    the precedent has been long established
    Do you have another example of a major, nationwide motion picture being pulled from all major theaters a week before release because of a terrorist threat?

There were bookstores that decided they didn't want to sell The Satanic Verses when all of the bad business surrounding that was happening.

And then when the sales figures started to come out, a lot of those stores changed their minds.
    That's...not really the same thing.

Like, if the theater chains pulled it because they were afraid of angering their customers or public backlash then sure

But this was in response to a singular terrorist threat

i don't think for a second the theaters are actually worried about the threats

they are worried about customers worrying about the threats and how that impacts not just the interview's numbers but all holiday numbers

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Again, this is only going to hurt the movie theater industry.

Also this gives me an excuse to post this adorable picture of an interracial couple dressing their son up like he's a real soldier.

ULTPXWy.jpg

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    simo wrote: »
    Do you have another example of a major, nationwide motion picture being pulled from all major theaters a week before release because of a terrorist threat?

There were bookstores that decided they didn't want to sell The Satanic Verses when all of the bad business surrounding that was happening.

And then when the sales figures started to come out, a lot of those stores changed their minds.

Like, if the theater chains pulled it because they were afraid of angering their customers or public backlash then sure

they are worried about customers worrying about the threats and how that impacts not just the interview's numbers but all holiday numbers
    But even if that is their intention, which is entirely likely, it sends the message that terrorism works.

Like, I understand from a business perspective why the decision was made, but they opened the floodgates now, regardless of intent.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It's not censorship at any rate. It's not like any of the makers of the film are clamoring for it to be shown. The US government doesn't* negotiate with terrorists but businesses have no such code

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Self censorship is still censorship

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Well I guess I'm going to Austin
    Lets Road Trip, GG

That
    Hmmmmmm
    Maybe? Can we do this?

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

But even if that is their intention, which is entirely likely, it sends the message that terrorism works.

Like, I understand from a business perspective why the decision was made, but they opened the floodgates now, regardless of intent.

regardless of the crappiness of this event--i guess i don't see floodgates opening

like if radical groups or whoever were going to make threats about every movie in this scenario then i would think those threats would hold less weight in the public's mind for how common they were, and this is all about how theaters think the public will react

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    It's not censorship at any rate. It's not like any of the makers of the film are clamoring for it to be shown. The US government doesn't* negotiate with terrorists but businesses have no such code
    I'm fairly certain that everyone involved in the film would very much like it to be shown

I mean, this news broke less than an hour ago

I'd be shocked if we didn't get a "This fucking sucks" statement from Rogen and/or Franco in the next day or two

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Lets Road Trip, GG

That
    Hmmmmmm
    Maybe? Can we do this?
    Oh christ I don't know

Wait yes I do, nope, I work waaay too much the next few weeks

DAMN YOU, TERRORISTS

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

This is censorship.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Lets Road Trip, GG

That
    Hmmmmmm
    Maybe? Can we do this?

If you guys do this, you should write about the process and then sell the rights to Franco and Rogen for their next movie.

• Options
    Lets Road Trip, GG

That
    Hmmmmmm
    Maybe? Can we do this?
    Oh christ I don't know

DAMN YOU, TERRORISTS

This is how freedom dies

• Options
    The Interview About The Interview

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

i don't think it's going to be as bad a slippery slope as you're imagining, i think there's a lot of conflating factors that went into this that there probably wouldn't for other movies

if sony doesn't release the theaters from their booking obligations, which probably had a lot to do with them still reeling from the hack, they probably don't drop the movie

if the movie were more highly-anticipated they probably don't drop the movie. studios and theater chains wouldn't blink if these threats were lobbed at a marvel blockbuster

it's also got virtually no critical buzz to speak of, and it's a comedy. there's obviously no movie where you want moviegoers to have those threats at the back of their mind while watching, but i would think doubly so for a comedy

i don't know, it's an awful, stupid situation, but i don't see this as really having "opened the floodgates"

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    Lets Road Trip, GG

That
    Hmmmmmm
    Maybe? Can we do this?
    Oh christ I don't know

DAMN YOU, TERRORISTS

This is how freedom dies
    If they are still showing it in January I

I might be able to do this

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014

@‌Lost Salient

When? I wanna get drunk with you. I don't really know why, but I want to.

edit: And why the fuck won't the @ function work for Sandra?

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    I wish

So badly I could ditch work and drive to texas to watch a dumb movie

stupid work/being an adult

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular

The Satanic Verses weren't necessarily pulled from shelves because of public backlash or plain old upset customers (there was plenty of that, though) so much as the death threats, people being stabbed and/or murdered and fire bombings of bookstores.

It's not a perfect match, it's really just the first thing that came to mind.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I kinda wish Paramount would push up the release of Hot Tub Time Machine 2 back to its original Christmas date now

• Options

The Satanic Verses weren't necessarily pulled from shelves because of public backlash or plain old upset customers (there was plenty of that, though) so much as the death threats, people being stabbed and/or murdered and fire bombings of bookstores.

It's not a perfect match, it's really just the first thing that came to mind.

American Psycho was yanked when it first came out, if memory serves. Lotsa destruction of public property, very few actual assaults.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014

@Lost Salient

You gotta throw quotes around her name.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

@Lost

You gotta throw quotes around her name.

Weird because for a while there we didn't need them. Or the did it automatically.

@Lost Salient

• Options
    I'm fairly certain you've always had to do it for names with spaces

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    It can autogenerate a name if you give it a second and select the correct user from the options.

Hi, sup.

Let's all go see The Interview and shit.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm currently writing a script for a movie where Kim Jong Un sends a reporter to the US to Interview Seth Rogen and James Franco about their movie, "The Interview." It's actual going to be a plot to assassinate the two actors before they can finish the movie. It's going to be called, "BILLY AND THE CLONEOSAURUS."

• Options

I'm fairly certain I've always had to do it for your face.

(hot damn, i am on fire lately)

• Options

Darth can we talk

what is your issue with my face

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I'm fairly certain that everyone involved in the film would very much like it to be shown

I mean, this news broke less than an hour ago

I'd be shocked if we didn't get a "This fucking sucks" statement from Rogen and/or Franco in the next day or two

But are they going to go to the next step and say "screw it, we're not afraid, bring it on"

Sometimes, it's prudent to eschew a message in favor of safety. Our freedom from censorship means we get to make that call. If they choose to call on us it will be right to respond and throw ourselves on the line, but if not, then it's entirely a personal decision to protect our own freedom of speech rather than theirs.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'm currently writing a script for a movie where Kim Jong Un sends a reporter to the US to Interview Seth Rogen and James Franco about their movie, "The Interview." It's actual going to be a plot to assassinate the two actors before they can finish the movie. It's going to be called, "BILLY AND THE CLONEOSAURUS."

What luck, I've found you the perfect director!

mqdefault.jpg

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options

Darth can we talk

what is your issue with my face

It's because I love it so.

Run away with me to the casbah ...

pepe-le-pew.jpg

And then we can Rock the Casbah.

rock-the-casbah-video-still.jpg

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Wait why does she look happy in that picture

that's not right

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

What luck, I've found you the perfect director!

mqdefault.jpg

thecritic_001.jpg

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

So many sequels on that list that make me scratch my head.

• Options

@‌Lost Salient

You gotta do quotes
    @Lost Salient

• Options
    Lets Road Trip, GG

That
    Hmmmmmm
    Maybe? Can we do this?
    Oh christ I don't know

DAMN YOU, TERRORISTS

This is how freedom dies
    If they are still showing it in January I

I might be able to do this

I mean it's not out til Christmas day
    I dunno how the Drafthouse works but it might still run a little ways into January

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    YES I'M HERE WHAT

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    YES I'M HERE WHAT

Literally nobody asked you to come.

• Options
    Hey look who skipped a bunch of posts

• Options
    YES I'M HERE WHAT

Literally nobody asked you to come.

D:

RUVCwyu.jpg
This discussion has been closed.