As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All Dogs Go To Heaven (And Taste Delicious) [movies]

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    WHY IS IT ALWAYS ABOUT YOU?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I thought the exact same thing and quit reading about halfway through it.

• Options
    Yes, most of the big movies released are franchises and sequels but we still have PLENTY of original and amazing movies being made and all of these major studios that are making billions of dollars off of these franchises are also funding smaller projects.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I really like places like grantland and av club

but I think places like that that make their bread on think pieces and have to put out a certain amount of content

sometimes just make really dumbass articles and try to make them seem like big revelations

that's one of them

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Earnest Saves Christmas is on netflix

• Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    there are no original movie articles nowadays, everything is just a rewrite of some better article that never needed to be rewritten

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I blame James Franco and Seth Rogen for opening Pandora's box and making an incredibly stupid movie.

I mean, for me the movie makes it seem like the US government are the villains.

Yeah the thing is, I wouldn't even be kinda surprised if the movie actually concluded with them getting high with Kim Jong-Un and becoming best buddies because that's the kind of direction those movies usually take.
    they do not. they kill him. or at least he is killed.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    The Dissolve is the only site I need for movie thinkpieces

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I can't wait for the prequel to Casablanca

Or The Gone with the Wind Remake.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I can't wait for the prequel to Casablanca

Or The Gone with the Wind Remake.

GONE WITH THE WIND...AGAIN

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

God, it just feels like it's trying to drown me in a sea of smug self-importance.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Gotta be honest

I am interested in seeing The Interview

But just like movies set in all sorts of foreign countries, films set in/around either of the Koreas seem inevitably to be embarrassingly inaccurate/offensive.

Nothing will top the episode of Hawaii 5-0 that features a tropical jungle version of Korea wherein they just merrily travel across the DMZ, though

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    that article is the pits.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Yes, most of the big movies released are franchises and sequels but we still have PLENTY of original and amazing movies being made and all of these major studios that are making billions of dollars off of these franchises are also funding smaller projects.

And this year was an AMAZING year for all sorts of movies, one of the best in recent memory. Sure, the big AAA movies get the money and the attention and the toys, but they also cost like 5-100x as much as the smaller movies! The scale just changes! Boyhood made nearly 6x it's budget back which is great but if your only metric is "most money" then, yeah, I guess it's a disappointment.

And just because your budget is triple digits or you're part of a franchise doesn't mean it's shit, either, just like being a movie that cost a grand or was only released in 1 theater or is a Oscar front runner prestige flick doesn't mean it's good!

Yeah, fuck those types of articles. All your comic movies and insanely budgeted special effects movies did not prevent Grand Budapest and Boyhood and Coherence and Calvary and Cheap Thrills and The Guard and Obvious Child and Cold in July and Blue Ruin and Under the Skin and John Wick and Nightcrawler and The Overnighters and Housebound and What We Do In The Shadows and and and and and from coming out and being great this year.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    dunno, I agree with the gist.

Studios are more reliant than ever and more interested than ever in franchises, well "ever" being my lifetime anyway

studios are more risk averse and less likely to fund smaller movies now than before, well certainly than the indie boom of the 90's where they set up divisions specifically to fund smaller movies. You just need to see how many production houses are behind a small movie to see how difficult they are to finance.

"smugness" or whatever aside, I don't think he's wrong about that.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

Why do you think he posted it

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Fuuuuck

Meeeeee

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Also that statement is terrible

"they have done terrible things to stop the release of this film.

So we aren't going to release it, you win"

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Oh god dammit.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    We are deeply saddened at this brazen and successful effort to suppress the distribution of a movie and are extremely disappointed by the outcome that we ourselves have brought about

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    How does this work? The movie opens in a week, are they going to recall all the reels they already sent out?

Will it be illegal for a smaller chain to decide to show it since they already have it?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    There's nothing wrong with giving in to threats. It is good to resist them if you can, but there's nothing wrong with giving in.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Now I don't get to drink with GG.

Excuse me, I'll be back in five years, three with good behavior.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    They stand by the right to free expression, but won't do anything to enforce it.

I was mildly interested in seeing "The Interview". This sucks.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    From what I have heard about their security I would probably use a different word than brazen. Ain't nothing bold about finding a notepad file named Usernames&Passwords.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    How does this work? The movie opens in a week, are they going to recall all the reels they already sent out?

Will it be illegal for a smaller chain to decide to show it since they already have it?

Don't they just send digital copies via downloads or USB drives mostly these days?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Now I don't get to drink with GG.

Excuse me, I'll be back in five years, three with good behavior.

Booze, uh, finds a way

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

i mean this is something addressed in the article

must've been past the halfway mark, though

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    So what's the minimum going forward that people are going to be willing to invent a terrorist group for? Will any Adam Sandler movie make it to theaters ever again?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    They say they won't stick to the 25th theatrical release, leaves it open for a different date or method

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »

Don't they just send digital copies via downloads or USB drives mostly these days?

Wow, according to Cnn yes. How fast things change. I was a projectionist about 9 years ago and the majority of films were still analogue.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    also i found that article an interesting read. i generally like mark harris so i was "giving him the benny" shall we say on his apparent thesis, but i wouldn't characterize the piece as "another cranky middle-aged man complains about marvel movies" (my own cranky reduction of the reductive box i imagine a lot of people here put it in right away)

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I know the cheap theater around here definitely still uses film.

Unless they've started scratching the picture in digital versions now.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I hope they double down for an early 2015 release with commercials boasting this is the movie the terrorists don't want you to see

PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.