As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cuba-American Relations. Obama Visits Cuba!

ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
edited March 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, President Obama has announced the reopening of the American Embassy in Havana and increased relations diplomatically and economically with Cuba, ending decades of stupidity that followed America going " I'm allowed to do things, but you aren't! " after Russia put missiles in Cuba in response to American Missiles being plopped on its border in the cold war.

This is clearly in response to all the failed attempts to assassinate and de-beard the elder Castro.

Aljazeera article here

Republicans are already crying foul, because Obama did something, because he is an impotent inactive tightfisted tyrant or something because the return of relations between our nations will somehow..hurt American people in some way?

Buttcleft on

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Fuck yeah! Open free trade and let the Florida-Cuba economy blossom into a new golden age of cigars and tourism!

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Wasn't expecting this. Well done Obama, definitely a significant legacy if it holds

wilting on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    I can't help but worry that this will really hurt Dem's Florida 2016 chances, but ah well the right thing is the right thing. Good news.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Didn't Obama re-authorize the Cuba embargo a month or two ago?

I mean, if he wanted to normalize relations with Cuba, he could just not sign that thing for the sixth time in his presidency.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

I mean, if he wanted to normalize relations with Cuba, he could just not sign that thing for the sixth time in his presidency.

Well, relations are a two way street.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    On the First Day of Christmas Obama gave to me........A box full of Cuban stogies

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    I've always wanted to try a Cuban Cigar.

Fox News Headline: Obama normalizes Cuba-America relations as puppet of Big Tobacco to get more children hooked on smoking via high quality Cuban cigars.

• Options
    I would love the heck out of a legal and functional Miami-Havana ferry/cruise-line. So would most Cubans, I'd imagine.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Props to the Vatican for brokering the talks. Pope Francis keeps getting hits.

Also, is it sad that one of my first thoughts was "man, I should plan a vacation down there before it gets filled with McDonalds and Starbucks and stuff"?

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Of course, the GOP is flipping shit over the announcement. Terrorists and dictators around the world are going to view America as weak, the streets will be red with commie sympathizers, doom, doom, DOOOOOOM!

This is something that should have happened 25 years ago.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I tried one about fifteen years ago. I dunno, it seemed like Dominican cigars were better at the time. But then again I was comparing a fairly Mild Dominican to a Bold Cuban. Make of that as you will.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Senator Robert Menendez, Democrat of New Jersey and the chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, was also sharply critical. “Let’s be clear, this was not a ‘humanitarian’ act by the Castro regime. It was a swap of convicted spies for an innocent American,” Mr. Menendez said in a written statement. “President Obama’s actions have vindicated the brutal behavior of the Cuban government.”

Leaving aside the fact that the man in question was almost undoubtedly one of our own spies, what is Menendez looking to gain here? Is there a significant Cuban emigre population in Jersey that he's trying to appeal to?

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Menendez's family fled Cuba shortly before he was born.

He's probably pissed about this deal. Many people of that era (or their parents) still have raw feelings about what they lost in the revolution.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Senator Robert Menendez, Democrat of New Jersey and the chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, was also sharply critical. “Let’s be clear, this was not a ‘humanitarian’ act by the Castro regime. It was a swap of convicted spies for an innocent American,” Mr. Menendez said in a written statement. “President Obama’s actions have vindicated the brutal behavior of the Cuban government.”

Leaving aside the fact that the man in question was almost undoubtedly one of our own spies, what is Menendez looking to gain here? Is there a significant Cuban emigre population in Jersey that he's trying to appeal to?

Payback, I believe (that whole Dominican prostitute thing came out of Cuban intelligence, IIRC.)

Edit: I was right, Cuban intelligence were the ones that tried to screw him over via bowtie.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

All things in their time.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

Payback, I believe (that whole Dominican prostitute thing came out of Cuban intelligence, IIRC.)

I'd completely forgotten that. Good call. Like BigJoe pointed out, the only thing I could think of was parental resentment, but that didn't seem like enough motivation to be openly critical of the deal. Spite suffices nicely though.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    As a Flordia Democrat I say bring it on.

Fuck yeah, Obama

That's a significant bit if a legacy right there.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I tried one about fifteen years ago. I dunno, it seemed like Dominican cigars were better at the time. But then again I was comparing a fairly Mild Dominican to a Bold Cuban. Make of that as you will

Yeah, they're nothing magical. Plenty of countries match their quality, because a lot of the talent left Cuba to keep access to the U.S. market. They are good, though.

Really don't have to go far now, it's only a US embargo. You can buy them in Canada or Mexico (to try, can't bring them back). Guess that doesn't help if youre far from the border.

Edit: this is amazing news though, obviously.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    In other news, Canadian tourism to Cuba is expected to drop off a cliff in the near future.

In all seriousness though, good on Obama. This is definitely long overdue.

• Options
    Mr. Pierce has a wonderful breakdown of the move.

In short, not only is he doing the right thing, but he's also handing the GOP enough rope to hang themselves with.

• Options
    Man, I can't even get over that this is starting. If we have open trade in my lifetime I will be so freakin happy.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Comicon Havana.

Calling it right fucking now.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

To actually end the embargo congress would have to repeal laws. Obama is still fairly limited in what he can actually do.

• Options
    I still see this backfiring for the Democratic party. The Xenophobes will just team up with the commiephobes to basically blame any Democratic candidate for letting more illegals/commies into our nation.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    iirc, while older Cuban Americans are still in favor of embargoes and all that continuing stupidity, younger American born Cuban-Americans are usually far more in favor of normalization of relationships.

It's a good fight to get into, but he'll still need congress to actually agree to act to end the embargo, which congress will really not want to do - either because they disagree with it, or more probably just because they're still dedicated to not allowing Obama any victories, with no mind towards good governance at all.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Yeah Menendez has some pretty significant personal baggage with Cuba and while New Jersey actually has a fairly significant Cuban population (Note: Menendez was mayor of Union City before becoming one of our Senators) a lot of Cubans here either vote Republican openly or are "Conservative Democrats" in every sense of the word.

I mean we're talking DINO's because in urban Northern New Jersey the real mayors/council race is the Democratic primary and all the Republicans there have gone to ground.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well I'm sure the MLB is happy about this. As is mariner pitcher Roenis Elias as he fled cuba to play in the majors, now he might be able to actually see his family again in person!

Fuck the oldies, Cuba is not our enemy.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I still see this backfiring for the Democratic party. The Xenophobes will just team up with the commiephobes to basically blame any Democratic candidate for letting more illegals/commies into our nation.

And in turn, they'll kill any shot of the GOP rebranding themselves to capture the larger Latino population.

• Options

And in turn, they'll kill any shot of the GOP rebranding themselves to capture the larger Latino population.

The larger Latino population might be an opponent of the Xenophobes, but many Latinos are actually very conservative when it comes to Communism. So the commiephobes can stir up the Latinos while the Xenophobes stir up everyone else.

• Options
    I don't buy that, who the fuck in america still gives a shit about communism? I mean other than dead enders who don't even know what communism is?

I'm tired of democrats being afraid of being democrats. The cuban embargo is dumb as fuck, and we need to drop it for both countries sakes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

The larger Latino population might be an opponent of the Xenophobes, but many Latinos are actually very conservative when it comes to Communism. So the commiephobes can stir up the Latinos while the Xenophobes stir up everyone else.

I don't quite buy that. The emigre Cuban-American community tends to be that way, but that's for some very specific reasons.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean other than dead enders who don't even know what communism is?
    That is a depressingly huge part of the American electorate, though.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Shocking no one. How it is eventually viewed by the rest of the country remains to be seen.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited December 2014

I don't quite buy that. The emigre Cuban-American community tends to be that way, but that's for some very specific reasons.

Well, I tried looking up some links to prove you wrong, but in the end it seems like I'm wrong. The myth that "Latinos are conservative" seems to have been created by Republican strategists. Quelle surprise.

http://blogs.berkeley.edu/2014/08/29/are-latinos-politically-conservative-not-really/

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Good. The policy was ridiculously strict and out of proportion given our relations with other "communist" countries.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

The main thing to realize is that Hispanics are an incredibly diverse population. Many Latinos in America are right wing conservatives. Many also are actual communists, peasant rebels from Chiapas or at least leftists of the Catholic Liberation Theology stripe. That's one of the side byproducts of sponsoring so many right wing dicatorships in Latin America over the years - the refugees are from the other side.

One of the biggest false predictions in modern politics has been that Hispanics would flock to the Republican Party due to their conservative values and love of family. I think the trouble with the GOP's outreach has and always will be that these terms are code for tribal identifiers, and Hispanics are by and large clued into the fact that they aren't part of the GOP's tribe.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    There is also the disconnect that most Hispanic populations are considered "immigrant" despite making up a massive amount of second and third generation populations across the country and the GOP is the party of anti-immigration (and thus anti-Hispanic) by their core baseline. While the corporate centrists and catholic conservative crowds can synergize well with a conservative Hispanic population, most of the meat and bones of the GOP are white protestants that see anyone of Hispanic origin as invaders, villains, and threats to their jobs with no mind to hear sense on the matter. Many, especially in the deep south, don't even think of Catholics as christian.

The GOP/Hispanic merger for surviving into the next generation just isn't happening. The GOP has made a pretty strong choice to change the rules and disenfranchise rather than widen their umbrella.

Enc on
  • Options
    Yeah whatever political ideology they might share, the GOP has made it in no uncertain terms all latinos are the bad ones. So even with them pounding a drum about cuban communism and whatever else, they still have to defeat that they are the party of white is right.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hey guys, Lets keep this on the Cuba/America thing.

I think theres a general politics thread somewhere for the GOP/Hispanic community relations.