As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dream Games, or, OH MAN IT'D BE SO COOL

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    a G Gundam kinect game

literally the only thing that could get me to purchase a Kinect is this

THIS HAND OF MINE GLOWS WITH AN AWESOME POWER

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    It seems crazy to me that someone could make a bad game based on 40k. Like... it just boggles my mind

it happens

I would say there've been more bad than good 40k games

anyway, other games I want to see:

1) A Star Wars: Force Unleashed-style game, with Kyle Katarn as the main character, set during the NJO

2) An elder scrolls-style game in the Shadowrun universe

3) a modern X-Wing game

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Probably nostalgia talking, but I could dig a game based on the pen and paper Rifts RPG.

Post apocalypse? Check. Dragons and dungeons? Sure. Power armor and cyborgs? Why not! Magic and demons and psychics and aliens and dinosaurs and jedi-ish knights and gods and vampires and different dimensions and shit let's throw the kitchen sink in there too.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Probably nostalgia talking, but I could dig a game based on the pen and paper Rifts RPG.

Post apocalypse? Check. Dragons and dungeons? Sure. Power armor and cyborgs? Why not! Magic and demons and psychics and aliens and dinosaurs and jedi-ish knights and gods and vampires and different dimensions and shit let's throw the kitchen sink in there too.

Steve Jackson games have cult following at this point, any money coming in should be mana from heaven.

rifts is palladium

kevin siembieda, not steve jackson

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I know from a marketing stand point it would be an absolute disaster, but I've always wanted there to be a game billed entirely as a GTA style open world roam the city game. All marketing materials, all demos, all prerelease talk from the studio about it being this type of game.

Then after X hours of a fun game, it very slowly, only in passing, starts to hint at something else... and bam, some sort of full blown apocolypse/zombie/super hero/paradigm shift in tone would occur and the rest of the experience would little resemble the pre-event marketing material. It could be incredibly fun to see the world change in a completely unexpected way.

Why this will never work
    1. People will be pissed at the shift in tone (see Farcry 1's mutants)
    2. Effect would only work for early adopters.
    3. Development problem of making it look like theres an entire game of fun in the first X hours.

Wassermelone on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I want a Fire Pro Wrestling game that comes with a full edit suite so people can make their own sprites, animations, and moves.

I want a wrestling game that simulates actual wrestling and not "we'll pretend it's real so it's more like a fighting game" wrestling. You control one guy, the other is AI controlled but you get to call all the moves and to win you have to fulfill a number of objectives set for you beforehand, like "don't go longer than five minutes" and "get the crowd heat up above 70% before going home".

Alternatively, I want a wrestling game not made by Yukes.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I know from a marketing stand point it would be an absolute disaster, but I've always wanted there to be a game billed entirely as a GTA style open world roam the city game. All marketing materials, all demos, all prerelease talk from the studio about it being this type of game.

Then after X hours of a fun game, it very slowly, only in passing, starts to hint at something else... and bam, some sort of full blown apocolypse/zombie/super hero/paradigm shift in tone would occur and the rest of the experience would little resemble the pre-event marketing material. It could be incredibly fun to see the world change in a completely unexpected way.

Why this will never work
    1. People will be pissed at the shift in tone (see Farcry 1's mutants)
    2. Effect would only work for early adopters.
    3. Development problem of making it look like theres an entire game of fun in the first X hours.

I'm ... reasonably sure that marketers already do 3. Like, a lot.

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    My ideal game is a squad tactics/strategy game in the vein of XCOM, set in Britain, 1940, immediately following Operation Sealion. You are given command of a GHQ Auxiliary Unit, one of the stay-behind commando teams meant to spearhead British resistance to German occupation.

You use the strategic map (a large chunk of Southern England somewhere north of London) to gather intelligence and plan out sabotage/assassination/ambush operations which are then fought out in the tactical mode, waging bitter guerrilla warfare across the villages, market towns and pastures of Occupied England, with the goal of destabilizing the puppet Mosley regime, harassing German garrisons and drawing away the Third Reich's resources from other fronts.

New recruits can be from various sectors of the British population: Home Guardsmen, Women's Auxiliary, RAF and Royal Navy survivors, plucky London orphans, and civilian partisans, all of whose backgrounds affect their starting stats and abilities. Although the Auxiliaries start with a stockpile of British-issue equipment, such as Enfields, Sten SMGs and Bren guns, you are obliged to incorporate captured German weaponry as supplies dwindle, all of which are authentically recreated and present a multitude of tactical options in line with their real-life capabilities. As the partisan war escalates, Wehrmacht garrison troops and BUF collaborators are augmented by S.S. regiments and panzers, presenting a steadily increasing challenge while also representing strategic success as those units must be withdrawn from the Eastern Front, potentially shortening the war.

Ultimately the player's effectiveness at disrupting the Nazi war machine determines whether Britain is liberated by Commonwealth & Imperial forces, the United States, or the USSR.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    rifts is palladium

Nobody likes it when you're right all the time.

More precisely, *I* hate it when you're right and I'm wrong.

p.s.

:heartbeat: Shorty

alternatively they could just make a squad-based tactical RPG of Red Dawn already

I don't mean fucking Homefront or Freedom Fighters, I mean the kind where I drink deer blood in the Rockies and execute traitors and inscribe the names of our dead on a lonely rock

they make the rock into a memorial after the war but nobody visits

rifts is palladium

Nobody likes it when you're right all the time.

More precisely, *I* hate it when you're right and I'm wrong.

p.s.

:heartbeat: Shorty

well you're not wrong about the fact that there's like a hundred people who still give a shit

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    anything that's not an mmo

broken image link
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Metahumans versus special forces.

Sometime in the not too distant future, a group of humans in a major city have manifested powers. Instead of becoming superheroes, they become superjerks who battle over control of the city.

The government sends in a team of elite special forces operatives to eliminate them.

it would be a single and multiplayer game where you could play as the special forces or the superjerks.

As a superjerk you could pick from an array of powers and expand your influence over the city by conquering territory and taking down other superjerks. You would also need to watch out for the special forces who are tying to take you down.

As the special forces you would need to use cunning tactics, the element of surprise, and maybe some good old fashioned brute force to stop the superjerks, and restore order to the city.

Ad astra on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I want a Pokemon game that doesn't concern itself with being a Pokemon game as they have been. Open up the world so that Routes aren't literally Point A to Point B railways, make your Pokemon choices matter in different ways (Say, you can ride certain Pokemon like Rapidash or whatever through the landscape, obviously the things for Surf and Fly are in place already so that would play a part as well) and give you more options on how you want to play (there's that whole thing about raising "Show" Pokemon for the contests, and wasn't one of the characters from the show all about that? Plus being the Ultimate Breeder, etc. Just different things as opposed to "Challenge all Eight Gyms, Kick the Elite Five (because there's always a Champion) in the dick and then do whatever post-game Game Freak is phoning it in with.")

Cut the Team (Whatever) bullshit. It hasn't been good since Gold, and could be argued that it was never 'good' because of how silly it is as a concept. You can have an antagonist in Pokemon that isn't literally a mob of scheming, cartoonishly evil adults lead by someone who is invariably either someone who was going to be in your way from the start, or has a surprise heel turn when it's like "Oh hey, yeah, I do run that mob of evil assholes with questionable goals". There's always the option of Cliques or 'Gangs' (as in just a group of kids that always run together, not, you know) or whatever where it's just like "My friends are cooler than yours" "Nuh-uh". Or it could just be something more organic, like just taking the Rival aspect that's in every game anyway and rolling with that.

And speaking on the "My Friends are cooler than yours"/cliques/gangs thing, something on that front would be nice too. Make it so that X amount of people in the game are 'recruitable' to you, and you build up a friendship with them overtime that affects your ability to effectively Double/Multi-Battle with them, but also lets you influence their party, maybe decide it entirely, maybe not I dunno. Just a hang-out system or something to add a little depth and character to the actual characters, rather than just the Pokemon with their little quirks and whatnot. So, like dating sim aspects except not, I guess.

I know I practically might as well hope for a whole new IP that does those things while aping the core of Pokemon since I doubt it's ever going to get anywhere near what I want, but I just see the potential that Pokemon as a series has and get frustrated when I start playing the new one and am just flashing back to the rest of them the whole time.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    It occurs to me that Games Workshop abd Wizards of the Coast need to be a lot less tight-fisted with their respective IPs. In the right hands, a Warhammer Fantasy game would be ssssssiiiiiiiiick. And there have been great games based on D&D but not recently at all.

Plus, a Magic: The Gathering RPG where you play as a customizable planeswalker would be super rad.

Pathfinder and Darksun are practically begging to be used as a setting for a videogame.

This also reminds me of how sad I was to hear that the Whitewolf mmo got shitcanned.
    Wizards (Hasbro really) had signed a bad deal giving Atari exclusive rights to make D&D games for years.

Atari sucks and was broke, so it was squandered.

We should see more D&D games coming out in the future, though.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i would like more people to borrow the pokemon concept of travelling the world assembling a team from a huge range of characters you encounter

boiled down to its essence it's just dragon age but with six hundred different companions instead of six and they're all massively simplified to compensate

no reason any other game couldn't do that?

like, a supervillain game where you play a disabled mastermind who has to assemble the perfect team of crooks to take down the fairness ensemble once and for all. you start with a couple of d-list guys named after funny animals and you commit crimes to increase your reputation in order to to recruit more guys to your army of villainry

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    they should give the DnD game rights to bioware again, and then EA can make a new BioWare (BioWare Dungeons) and then we can get good DnD games again.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    a want a telltale game that is a compilation of short stories set in beloved childhood cartoons where it is revealed that actually they were all dead or in a coma the whole time

PNk1Ml4.png
    edited December 2014
    A roguelike strategy/rpg set in West Germany, 1985, two weeks after WW3 began and one week after its escalation into Mutual Assured Destruction.

You start somewhere in Hanover, the CO of a single under-strength company formerly belonging to one of the NATO or Warsaw Pact armies. Chain of command has been broken and local civil authority has collapsed. You have had no contact with friendly or enemy forces since the sky started burning. You have a map of Central Europe, 200 armed men, a few vehicles, some ammunition and not enough food. You must decide which direction to march.

As you proceed you encounter other surviving military units, whose initial disposition towards you depends on which specific army you started in, and whom you may attempt to incorporate into your ragtag army, appointing their officers to positions in your hierarchy in order to complement your personal stats and mitigate lingering national tensions. You must also choose how to handle the columns of refugees aimlessly trudging down the autobahn, while scavenging what food, petrol and ammunition you can from the ruins and the battlefields of Europe's last war.

The further you progress, you begin to encounter other straggler units which have also reshaped themselves into marauders and bandits, too strong to co-opt, whom you must either fight or flee. But your little battalion also grows steadily stronger, allowing you significantly augment your capabilities - recovering and repairing helicopters to scout further afield, or building a proper tank squadron out of an amalgam of T-72s, Leopards and Challengers. As your fighting strength increases, however, you require more supplies, obliging you to keep moving in search of new depots to scour and new civilians to rob as you grow into a warlord in your own right.

If you manage to make it out of Germany and the main theater of operations you only encounter stronger and stronger forces loyal to surviving central governments and commands, fighting one another for control of poisoned rivers and barren fields. You can only press onwards, south or east or north or west, searching vainly for the edge of the apocalypse.

Dongs Galore on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    dongs how much hearts of iron 4 are you going to play

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    My dream is to one day convince Level 5 to abandon the silly idea that most of their games don't have enough fan support for a sequel

It's just Dragon Quest and Professor Layton as far as the eye can see

VRXwDW7.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I would like a basketball game that I can actually figure out how to play.

Why am I so bad at NBA 2K?

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Has anyone said Dog Simulator yet?

Because Dog Simulator.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Has anyone said Dog Simulator yet?

Because Dog Simulator.

Dog's_Life_Coverart.png

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    continuing on the pokemon train

a pokemon game where you fight with your whole team at once srpg-style, and capturing one means you have to actually outmaneuver and corner or surround it

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Another Syndicate game, but give me that squad tactics based game play again.

Not that the Skrillex-Syndicate game was bad. It just wasn't what most of us wanted. The MP was pretty tight, though.

I feel like with what Destiny's raids have brought to the table, we could probably get a mix of that level of co-operative gameplay and the 20 year old squad gameplay and it would be amazing.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    A ninja game where you actually behave like historical ninja. Heavy emphasis on disguises and stealth, almost no combat. Like Hitman, but along with assassinations there's espionage, theft, sabotage, and arson.

Also known as "my hopes for the Japanese Assassin's Creed."

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    A ninja game where you actually behave like historical ninja. Heavy emphasis on disguises and stealth, almost no combat. Like Hitman, but along with assassinations there's espionage, theft, sabotage, and arson.

Have you played/ heard of: Mark of the Ninja?
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/214560/

Arden Canelo on
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    huh, guess the thing i said already kinda exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWPi62JrTRg

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    A new Power Stone game would be rad.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Have you played/ heard of: Mark of the Ninja?
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/214560/

Yeah, I've seen it. Too much emphasis on superhuman agility and acrobatics to really fit what I had in mind.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer Applied To The Kingdom Hearts Franchise

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Assassin's Creed: Ankh-Morpork.

Edit: Actually, no, I want Monolith to make a Shadow of Ankh-Morpork game where you play as one of Vimes' Particulars, having to take down a vast criminal network while occasionally skulking off to have a fag.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    A fine dining version of Cook, Serve Delicious in which you start out at the absolute bottom in a kitchen and work your way up to Head Chef.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Infinity Engine-style games (or Arcanum/Fallout 1-2/whatever) with modernized/improved/streamlined mechanics

In any kind of setting, really.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    A DMC/Bayonetta style action game, but with an open world instead of being completely linear. I'm thinking closer to Dark Souls with interconnected areas, rather than a completely open landscape.

I also really like the bounty system in Diablo 3's adventure mode, where you get random missions to kill specific enemies or complete other minor tasks all over the game world and I kind of want to see that structure combined with a crazy action game.

I'm also wondering if random loot could work in a crazy action game. Not Diablo style with tons of stats on everything, Darksiders 2 tried that and it sucked. More like instead of there being one sword, you could have swords that are slow and strong or fast and weak, but with the same basic moveset. And there could be many other things that could vary, like different kinds of elemental damage types or special moves being unique to certain weapons. Like if in DMC there was a sword that could do drive and another one that could do roundtrip.

And you could have accessories like in Bayonetta. It probably wouldn't be too hard to come up with a lot of different possible effects.

TrippyJing wrote: »
    Infinity Engine-style games (or Arcanum/Fallout 1-2/whatever) with modernized/improved/streamlined mechanics

did you play Shadowrun Returns?

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

did you play Shadowrun Returns?

Yes.

But I want more.

b1ehrMM.gif