As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metal Gear] Solid V comes out September 1st

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 2 (The Correct Answer)
    Man

This was a hard choice, because I think it's like a four-way tie between 2, 3, Peace Walker and Revengeance. But I think 2 just barely edges them out because I love the insanity.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid
    Revengeance? Y'all motherfuckers be crazy.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    revengeance was all the good things about kojima without any of his stupid horseshit

• Options
    Metal Gear Solid
    No, no, the stupid horseshit is the glue that holds this whole thing together! The horseshit is the heart!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    okay you go ahead and enjoy mgs 4 then

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Probably the anti backlash gear.

But yeah metal is the way to go with them if you don't want them to wear out quickly. If they're finely tuned a metal one can last forever.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid
    Haha. Man. MGS4 sure as dumb, wasn't it?

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Odd numbered mgs games are good. Even numbered mgs games are abominable

• Options
    Metal Gear Solid
    THIS IS A SONS OF LIBERTY HOUSE, SON

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Aside from gameplay and design, Revengeance excels primarily in its worldbuilding and crazy senators. The actual narrative is completely forgettable, it's just a vehicle to chop dudes and watermelons

I'll come back to Revengeance but not for the same reasons I play MGS2 every year

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I'm torn between 2 and 3 personally, but 2 has so many fond memories that it pulls into the lead. Also skateboarding.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Really should be a separate option for Twin Snakes

• Options
    VegemyteVegemyte Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    bipedal tank...?
    40UWDyj.jpg

Vegemyte on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    mgs4 wasnt so bad...

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Portable Ops (hahaha yeah right)
    Portable Ops all the way

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Peace Walker
    Peace Walker let me feed rockets right into a monster's face and will always have a place in my heart because of that.

funwithtigrex.jpg

• Options
    -grug-grug Registered User regular
    Just regular solid. It felt important.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    every single part of revengeance is incredible except for all those annoying parts where it gives you control over raiden

this is an acceptable opinion if you are insinuating how he threw off outside control (i.e. the Patriots and the Player) in the ending of MGS2 what with literally throwing away the dogtag with the player-entered name and whatnot, and having him be playable again in Revengeance (as opposed to his NPChood in MGS4) kind of undermines that ever so slightly slightly

that's the only way I could imagine this post to be right, though

Revengeance is hella fun

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid
    I've given it a lot of thought and I think 1 might be the best solid metal gear

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Aside from gameplay and design, Revengeance excels primarily in its worldbuilding and crazy senators. The actual narrative is completely forgettable, it's just a vehicle to chop dudes and watermelons

I'll come back to Revengeance but not for the same reasons I play MGS2 every year

Revengeance is about stopping an organization of mercenaries because they've stolen the brains of orphans and plan to put them into a killer cyborg army after brainwashing them

I just

I just break down at the beauty of that every time I think of it

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Peace Walker
    Honestly I really like all the metal gear games. Even the worst metal gear game, portable ops, is still a good game and worth playing.

It's easily my favorite videogame series.'

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    im bummed out about the new one

I really like MGS

why did he have to fuck it up by putting a girl who cant talk in a bikini then saying we'd all feel bad for not liking it later

• Options
    Peace Walker
    Quiet doesn't seem all that much worse than stuff that has been in other MGS games. The games usually have a couple bits like that, unfortunately.

I'm curious as to what her entire character arc will be still.

• Options
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Usually they're not nearly that bad! If you look at the costumes for women in MGS, it has just slowly, slowly gone downhill. Now it's full on batshit crazy with kojima saying he did it so that girls will cosplay then changing his mind and saying its ALL BECAUSE OF PLOT and then having super long torture scenes with her in trailers

• Options
    Peace Walker
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Usually they're not nearly that bad! If you look at the costumes for women in MGS, it has just slowly, slowly gone downhill. Now it's full on batshit crazy with kojima saying he did it so that girls will cosplay then changing his mind and saying its ALL BECAUSE OF PLOT and then having super long torture scenes with her in trailers

I was thinking more things like the bikini girl posters in MGS2 or heck even the video you get of a bikini model posing in that one tunnel. I guess those are more easter eggs and not characters but it's always been there.

• Options
    Kojima has a thing about electrocuting women in sheer stockings, and then animating the effect on those stockings

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Peace Walker
    Which isn't to say that it is okay Quiet is in the game, just because older games had it in the past. I think she is still a shitty character design (but given how toxic the Japanese otaku industry is I doubt we will stop seeing designs like hers any time soon).

I am saying that previous MGS games have still been good despite having such things in the game, which I think (hope?) will still be the case for Phantom Pain.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid
    In my head there's a tangible distance between bikini posters on a wall and a woman in a tiny bikini being tortured. For me one can be defended and the other can't and maybe Kojima should have some other people around him explaining that.

• Options
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    sure, the other games have been good despite the fucked up shit. A poster of a bikini lady is nowhere NEAR on the level of this horse shit

i refuse to give him my money for this and support his whacked up crap. It's not about it being good or bad, it's about not supporting a product that i feel is reprehensible.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Quiet is super disgusting but I wanna see where the rest of the game goes

There's a way they could possibly make it kind of okay but there's a 99% chance it'll be as gross as we all fear

Worst case scenario I ignore all the repugnant story stuff and enjoy the probably amazing open-world stuff

And I recognize it's a privileged thing to compartmentalize media and throw out the offensive parts and stick with the good parts

But that's still my perspective on it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Blitzed through Revengeance this morning

why is there not a PC mod to make Sundowner's fight better!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chPJ7x9iMw0

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    It's a good fight!

You just kind of have the option of ending it in like a minute if you know what your doing, which makes it kind of an odd one out for the boss fights in that game.

• Options
    Peace Walker
    I thought it was a fun fight, and since it came later and you basically kick his teeth in it was a great way to make you feel like you had gotten stronger in the game.

And then Sam and Armstrong show up to tell you that you are still weak.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid
    I haven't really kept up with the MGS franchise, but long ago I watched my brother play through MGS 2 and I was just constantly like "wait, what? . . .wait, WHAT?!"

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Peace Walker
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    I haven't really kept up with the MGS franchise, but long ago I watched my brother play through MGS 2 and I was just constantly like "wait, what? . . .wait, WHAT?!"

No, that happens even if you do keep up with the franchise.

• Options
    Peace Walker
    Wait, can you not do transfarring between the ps3 and the vita for peace walker?

I did it all the time with my psp, am I just overlooking something?

Because man I'd really rather play peace walker on my vita than on my psp.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    It's a good fight!

You just kind of have the option of ending it in like a minute if you know what your doing, which makes it kind of an odd one out for the boss fights in that game.

prostrats

http://youtu.be/3uGlN7amzK4

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I've never been good at aerials or jugglign in revengeance, so I had to S-rank Sundowner on Revengeance with my feet planted in the earth

That was one of the hardest things in the game

That video shows how you should do it if you're good at launching

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Peace Walker
    I should not be surprised that it was Morninglord that made that video.

Dude is just scary good at Platinum games.

• Options
    Peace Walker
    I've been trying to think really hard about what order I would rank the metal gear games in. I am really conflicted because am I ranking them based on how I felt the first time I played them? How I feel about them now? As individual games? As part of the whole series?

Tentatively...

PW > MGS1 > MGS2 > MGS3 > Revengeance > PO > GZ > MGS4 > MG/MG2

This discussion has been closed.