Options

[Superheroes] Is it too late to change the thread title?

19495969798100»

Posts

  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Hmm (Star Wars)
    As part of his cover's banter, Han casually mentions the Death Star's destruction to that imperial...

    I think I've literally always assumed that the Death Star was highly classified and not public knowledge and that the Empire would've had a cover story handy for Alderaan's destruction.

    I guess the Rebels would've leaked that information everywhere but in my mind it would've been perceived by the average citizen as Truther nuttery.

    Well
    A. The entire point of the Death Star to keep wayward systems in line through fear. It's hard to fear something if you don't know it exists.

    B. The sheer amount of resources and personnel it would take to build that thing would make keeping it a secret a giant pain in the ass. Not to mention all the people it would take to staff it.

    re: the 2nd point. I dunno, if the clone wars stuff is still canon, they fought a whole galactic war with only what, 3 million people? (Please dear god let that be one of the things that was wiped out with the canon reset)

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Hmm (Star Wars)
    As part of his cover's banter, Han casually mentions the Death Star's destruction to that imperial...

    I think I've literally always assumed that the Death Star was highly classified and not public knowledge and that the Empire would've had a cover story handy for Alderaan's destruction.

    I guess the Rebels would've leaked that information everywhere but in my mind it would've been perceived by the average citizen as Truther nuttery.

    Well
    A. The entire point of the Death Star to keep wayward systems in line through fear. It's hard to fear something if you don't know it exists.

    B. The sheer amount of resources and personnel it would take to build that thing would make keeping it a secret a giant pain in the ass. Not to mention all the people it would take to staff it.

    re: the 2nd point. I dunno, if the clone wars stuff is still canon, they fought a whole galactic war with only what, 3 million people? (Please dear god let that be one of the things that was wiped out with the canon reset)

    Things that are canon: The original trilogy, the prequel movies, these comics, maybe the new Rebels cartoon?
    Things that are not canon: literally everything else

  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I thought the Clone Wars cartoon was still canon.

  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I thought the Clone Wars cartoon was still canon.

    it appears you are correct. Six films, Clone Wars series, these comics, and Rebels

  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    On April 25, 2014, Lucasfilm and Disney revised the franchise's canon. They announced that the existing six films and The Clone Wars television series are the "immovable objects" of Star Wars storytelling. Previously published material has been relabeled under a "Legends" label, and future content will present a different vision of people, places and events after Return of the Jedi. They also announced that all future Star Wars stories will be connected, with guidance coming from the Star Wars story group.

  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I think the rules of canon are functionally the same as they've always been

    Everything is canon until directly contradicted

  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    nope, they were very clear about that. No existing stories outside of the 6 movies and Clone Wars are canon, all new stories going forward will be canon. The entire EU is officially non-canon.

  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    I think the rules of canon are functionally the same as they've always been

    Everything is canon until directly contradicted

    I'd say they've directly contradicted the old stuff already

  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    One thing I really appreciated about Star Wars #1, go back and look at who's kicking the most stormtrooper butt
    it's Leia. Kick, head slam to wall, backhand with helmet in hand, left cross.

    I mean Chewie straight out shoots a platoon's worth but in hand to hand, Leia is not to be messed with

  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Right, they definitely contradicted stuff already, and will continue to do so

    I'm just saying that there's some stuff, like KOTOR, that is so far in the past that it has no bearing on anything they'll be doing from now on unless they want to tell a different story set back then

    Even when they had grades of canon, it was the same functionally, except now they aren't going to say "this didn't really happen" when retelling something

  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    KOTOR IS GARBAGE, JOO, AND IT'S GOING TO BURN WITH THE REST OF THE TRASH

  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    KOTOR IS GARBAGE, JOO, AND IT'S GOING TO BURN WITH THE REST OF THE TRASH

    anachoira.jpg

  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/itkl7cHcX_E

    16:40 to 17:06 is what I was going for

    YOU CUT ME DEEP GG

  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    One thing I really appreciated about Star Wars #1, go back and look at who's kicking the most stormtrooper butt
    it's Leia. Kick, head slam to wall, backhand with helmet in hand, left cross.

    I mean Chewie straight out shoots a platoon's worth but in hand to hand, Leia is not to be messed with
    Chewie was aiming for Vader though. Vader put them in front of the shots.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    "I have a good feeling about this." for line of the issue.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    They just added Unbeatable Squirrel Girl to Marvel Puzzle Quest today

    6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.