As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    That Achilles armor looks great but is going to be a grind to unlock. The body comes when your spartan company gets the kill commendations to level 3, the head for completing level 5.
    If anyone wants to join a company and help contribute to getting it a bit faster, you're always welcome in the Warzone Wrecking Crew!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Yeah, Reach tried something very different--and good on them for doing so--but well-written? The glaring holes and pretty obviously unfinished plot-lines (YOU ARE GOING TO HEAR THE STORY OF EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF NOBLE TEAM, SOLDIER, AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!) say no. Maybe if they actually had enough time, but the game dragged on as it was towards the end, you could tell they were trying to figure out how to get rid of the other characters as promptly as they could.

I'm glad for them for trying that overall, but well-written? No. To each their own.

That sort of brings me something that confuses me about the reception of 5...
    A common complaint of the writing in 4 was an unwillingness on 343i's part to take many risks, even with the introduction of the Promotheans. Then 5 comes, sees a very radical realignment of Cortana as an antagonist, something that's been building for a minimum 2 games--and a few people literally cry, "No, that's too much! It undoes everything we fought for in the previous games!"

:?

Which isn't to say it doesn't have issues. Reach and ODST have them too, though in ODST, it's clearly a thematic choice that you'll either like or dislike (I actually don't think it's bad, it's just not impressive or substantive), and I'd say it's saved pretty much by the acting chemistry (which is great) between the squad (unlike Reach, which sort of falls on its face with this quickly) because what you're actually doing...isn't terribly interesting and towards the end just comes off as weird. Why are we here? For the engineer? Because....you said so? Okay.

In other words, similar problems to the other games. Bungie aren't great writers, even ODST reminds me of that--there's a reason people didn't go "SEE! THIS IS AMAZING WRITING!" when they came out either.

No, ODST is competent writing. (Well, okay, I'd say the radio drama was really damn good, but that's as far as I'd go.)

Bungie can write a general story where you go "Hey, this is fine. This does not distract me from shooting aliens and keeps the flow going without being aggressively dumb." with occasional moments of "Holy fuck, that's... that's actually good!"

Meanwhile, 343's writing is actively bad. There's a difference.

You know what--I don't disagree with this necessarily! Hurray!

I just feel the writing in ODST is, in fact, not good. Let's go a step further: it's bad (and as I already said, has issues). Especially towards the end.

I'm glad you brought up the audio logs because, in fact, they are the only thing in ODST I'd call "good" writing--if there's a subtle difference between good and competent writing, I'm happy to concede that--and I wish ODST had the same quality of actual good writing (but kept its more substantive world-building, which really is the one thing Bungie is good at, writing wise, I feel), though that's obviously a challenge: even with the periodic lulls, ODST has a lot more (bad) plot going on, whereas the audio logs are small and focused.

That brings me back to my original point: Bungie has bad writing. We know this because when the games were new, people had no problem pointing it out (which was a good thing). This isn't anything new at all.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    So I haven't played the champaign for H5 yet but I think I just got an email from Xbox with a spoiler in it lol
    it said "Cortana must be stopped" which is assume means she is a bad guy now
    ffs Microsoft you didn't even give me a chance to start the game

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Omg, finally got into a Warzone Assault match one of the newer maps, Urban!

They're free DLC, up the rotations! :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Hammer's coming back, as are Grifball and Fiesta modes. Hopefully as playlists and not just custom options.

• Options
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Hammer's coming back, as are Grifball and Fiesta modes. Hopefully as playlists and not just custom options.

Hah, I missed Grifball. I wonder as awful as I am at Halo 5 multiplayer if I can even play it still...

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Oh, hey, I might actually reinstall.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    • Expanded the color palette for armor and emblems from 32 to 60 colors
    • Replaced the emblem harmonies with simple, primary, secondary and tertiary color options (see below)
    • These new options have no restrictions – you can make any 2 of them the same color and get a completely different looking emblem shape
      These new colors carry over to Waypoint as well.

this is great news too!

THE OLD WAYS RETURN

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    343 will make the game the way you want, but only after you quit playing it...

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I just bought Halo and Halo 2 for the PC. Having a bit of trouble running them on Windows 10. I read that they both definitely work but I cannot really find a way to get them to run properly. Does anyone have any advice or a link to a guide?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Is this what I think it is? Firefight is back this spring?

There is a trailer for the update. Stay until the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE4ESGTv5J8

socks on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Y'know... watching that video really makes the Insurrection's case against the UNSC fairly valid... especially post-war.

But... grifball, so... yeah. :P

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    It really seems to me that they released the game before it was really "finished." They're wasn't enough stuff in the initial release, and now the good stuff is finally coming.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Warzone Firefight.

This might actually be a variant of warzone I'm not absolutely terrible at.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    It really seems to me that they released the game before it was really "finished." They're wasn't enough stuff in the initial release, and now the good stuff is finally coming.

It's really hard for me to judge, but I can't feel like this is true for the multiplayer aspect at least. The game launched with both new Warzone game modes fully functioning, and almost all the regular game modes.

Even with the absence of Forge (and BTB, I think?) it still felt like an enormous amount of multiplayer content immediately.

On the other hand, I'm still angry that they took out conventional theater saving.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Warzone Firefight.

Also one where you can make progress on your enemy kill commendations!

Seeing as campaign doesn't work for that and all.

Speaking of which, who else would love to see Fireteam Crimson make a return with mini-missions to run online with people?

Give it matchmaking akin to Destiny's strikes and let us use our REQs, and I think that would be a pretty fun game mode.

• Options
    Warzone Firefight.

It's really hard for me to judge, but I can't feel like this is true for the multiplayer aspect at least. The game launched with both new Warzone game modes fully functioning, and almost all the regular game modes.

Even with the absence of Forge (and BTB, I think?) it still felt like an enormous amount of multiplayer content immediately.

On the other hand, I'm still angry that they took out conventional theater saving.

I bought the game for the multi and felt like it was a poor day one purchase. Then again, I just plain don't like warzone.

• Options
    Downloading the 4.5 gig update now

Jeez

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Warzone Firefight.

Really? Halo 5 barely has anything.

At launch Halo 5 Arena had Slayer, shorter time-to-kill Slayer, no-shields Slayer, FFA Slayer, probably another variant of Slayer, 4v4 2-Flag CTF, and whatever that not-territories mode is. The original Halo had more gametypes at launch.

I thought Warzone was garbage, dislike Slayer, and vastly prefer Big Team Battle over anything, so there was nothing for me at launch. Eventually they added BTB, with nothing but lackluster Forge maps and barely any gametype variety.

Currently missing are King of the Hill, Oddball, Race, Assault, 1-Flag, Ricochet, Infection, Domination, Grifball, and probably more from H4 and H2A, and modes like Headhunter and Territories from earlier Halo games. They shipped a Halo game without King of the Hill and Oddball.

• Options
    Yeah it is kinda sad how they hype up stuff like Grifball and Fiesta and it's like "Why wasn't that already in there though!?"

They hype the free DLC but most of it is adding stuff from previous games like game types, weapon skins, and maps that probably should've shipped with it.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I may be a poor judge of it. Even just a little multiplayer goes a long way for me (just playing the occasional BTB was enough for me). ODST had literally only one multiplayer mode, but I guess that was both expected and welcome in what was basically a stand-alone expansion, rather than a main title.

Am I imagining prior Halo titles after 2 did not have grifball at launch? I mean, ideally, later releases would build upon it, but I could have sworn that they patched it in progressively afterwards. KOTH and Oddball were both available at launch, definitely (I would add, I literally hate both of those modes--again, personal preference). And of course, we were missing Forge, which generally launched with the games--I think.
    Warzone Firefight.

I bought the game for the multi and felt like it was a poor day one purchase. Then again, I just plain don't like warzone.

That too--I think this is sort of like picking up Titanfall, realizing you don't like attrition, and feeling like there's not much to do. Which is fair, without attrition there's a lot less to do in Titanfall--it's still there, but it's not worth playing if you hate it. I'm terrible at Warzone (if you get placed on a defensive team five times in a row in Warzone Assault, you should be given permission to leave the match right off the bat, that's bullshit), but I still think that's a big multiplayer component on top of everything else.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Grifball was made into a playlist in Halo 3, and launched with Reach later on. I can not remember if it was in H4.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Firefight was the only multiplayer mode (aside from campaign co-op) I have played since Halo 2. This will actually get me to jump into and start progressing through Halo 5: MP.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Firefight was the only multiplayer mode (aside from campaign co-op) I have played since Halo 2. This will actually get me to jump into and start progressing through Halo 5: MP.

To each their own. You did miss pretty good multiplayer in Halo 3 I'd say--on the other hand, if I never play another round of one-man CTF, I'll be happier for it.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

To each their own. You did miss pretty good multiplayer in Halo 3 I'd say--on the other hand, if I never play another round of one-man CTF, I'll be happier for it.

Actually, I haven't played Halo 3 past the first campaign mission. The short version is I went through Halo 1 in a couple months; started Halo 2, played a bit of local multiplayer and shelved it until I finally finished the campaign a couple years ago; skipped Halo 3/ODST; picked up and spent a TON of hours in Reach (playing the campaign a couple of times, but most of my time was in Firefight); played through about half the campaign of 4...but then 5 came out. I do intend to go back and play 3 (and ODST) more since I feel there's backstory I'm missing in 5 (which is also why I'm going back to play through 4).

And yes, I realize my chronology with the games is totally jacked up.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Actually, I haven't played Halo 3 past the first campaign mission. The short version is I went through Halo 1 in a couple months; started Halo 2, played a bit of local multiplayer and shelved it until I finally finished the campaign a couple years ago; skipped Halo 3/ODST; picked up and spent a TON of hours in Reach (playing the campaign a couple of times, but most of my time was in Firefight); played through about half the campaign of 4...but then 5 came out. I do intend to go back and play 3 (and ODST) more since I feel there's backstory I'm missing in 5 (which is also why I'm going back to play through 4).

And yes, I realize my chronology with the games is totally jacked up.

Nothing wrong with that. The original trilogy (and ODST) are still first person shooters--if the overarching plot didn't interest you immediately, I doubt you were missing anything.

I remember literally forcing myself to play Reach's campaign again to get achievements, though that was somewhat more justifiable in that I was visiting family and didn't have much else to do when I wasn't out. I did the same with the shitty levels in the first Halo which are honestly, to me, the worst in the series (the fact that The Silent Cartographer is so outstanding just makes it more apparent).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Halo 5 launched with a small subset of cosmetics and game modes, yes.

Halo 5 also launched with the published intent to release free, incremental content for its multiplayer including cosmetics and game modes.

If Halo 5 launched with a small subset of modes, and they said "here's some paid DLC versions of previous modes" or something to that effect then maybe the argument would have some legs... but as it is, not really sure how "this should have been here from the start" is like, a thing in this dialogue given the facts.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Eh, it's just my opinion. I was completely unhappy with my launch purchase.

• Options
    Halo 5 launched with a small subset of cosmetics and game modes, yes.

Halo 5 also launched with the published intent to release free, incremental content for its multiplayer including cosmetics and game modes.

If Halo 5 launched with a small subset of modes, and they said "here's some paid DLC versions of previous modes" or something to that effect then maybe the argument would have some legs... but as it is, not really sure how "this should have been here from the start" is like, a thing in this dialogue given the facts.

That's cool, but not everyone reads 343 blog posts or checks out every detail before buying the game. If you're a Halo fan from, I dunno, the last ten years, you expect certain things. Gametypes, community tools, a wide variety of playlists, etc. It's sad that Halo 3, which came out almost 10 years ago, did a lot of this stuff better.

• Options
    Free maps is a cool thing, but I'm not going to commend 343i for slowly adding in modes that every other Halo game shipped with. And it's not as if 343i's provided us a roadmap as for what modes we should even expect to return. I'd love to play Halo 5 Infection, but will we see it? No idea.

Launch Day Halo 5 didn't have any multiplayer mode I wanted to play, so I abandoned it after a week. I think it's fair to say that, yes, the game probably should have had some of these modes from the start.

• Options
    Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular

Welcome to the current state of all AAA gaming.

Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    So, anyway. When logged into Halo 5 yesterday I noticed in the information blurb that appears and tells you of upcoming things and whatnot that they gave out a free emblem pack in honor of someone who lost both their kids in a fire. One of the new maps also has their names set into the skybox too.

Really nice gesture.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    On the subject of Warzone Firefight--I might be alone in this regard, but while I think not having medals in singleplayer was an unfortunate decision (very important word choice here), I mean that purely from an academic standpoint.

I almost ALWAYS turn that off, because it actually detracts from my singleplayer experience. In my mind, I'm immediately reminded of competitive multiplayer which I've mentally divorced those two experiences. I sometimes want a report of it at the end of the level, but usually even that kind of depresses me when I see how badly I do by any real metric.

As I've always said, though, I find that in the choice between "having the option to do x" and "having no choice at all," I almost always rule on the first. See: mandatory installations on the PS3, Xbox 360 custom soundtrack support, additional gameplay modes that I personally hate in multiplayer, etc.

I know they're popular enough that I really do think they should have been included, and wonder what was the reasoning behind not including them.

I think some people are interested in Warzone Firefight for that reason. I personally couldn't be more different: I am really excited for it because I think Warzone is amazing as a concept, but have found I am incredibly terrible at it at a way that sometimes surprises me (since I can usually grind out a semi-acceptable score, or some decent W/L ratio, in a game like Battlefield).

WF may literally take out the single thing I don't like in Warzone: facing an opposing team that, without fail, totally kicks my ass (and even worse, my team's ass too).

Basically, I'm that scrub who needs to get better, but never does. :sad:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    The lack of campaign scoring in Halo 5 is a frustrating omission. I loved it in Master Chief Collection. It even made normally dull levels like Library fun. The flood make for tons of multikill medals!

• Options
    Another game with infinite waves of enemies attacking you isn't really a bad thing. Best thing about it would be having a better source for the enemy kill commendations. Especially if there's boss waves with Warden Eternals and more Phaetons.

Because no player in their right mind pops a phaeton in a match. Like... I've literally only seen one used, and I felt bad getting the killing blow on it. :P

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »
    The lack of campaign scoring in Halo 5 is a frustrating omission. I loved it in Master Chief Collection. It even made normally dull levels like Library fun. The flood make for tons of multikill medals!

I completely understand this attraction, but for whatever reason, it literally only lasts for about 2 minutes for me. After about 2 minutes of totally sweet medal rewards, I immediately can't think of anything besides the negative scoring whenever I die, or my failure to link up mad combos.

It also don't really alter the fundamental fun levels in a level for me either. The shipboard portions of Truth and Reconciliation will set my teeth on edge whether or not I'm getting medals.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Ironically, they've actually turned down the number of medal notifications you see during matches in PVP. :P

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Ironically, they've actually turned down the number of metal notifications you see during matches in PVP. :P

I've considered I might need to do that in Halo 5 on occasion. Given how bad I am in multiplayer, I'm sure they actually hurt my performance more than help.

• Options
  • Options
    "Why don't you go vote for Ted Cruz you fat bitch" - A teammate after the losing team whined about losing.

• Options
    Good to know the Halo community is the same ten years out