As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Arteen wrote: »
    Arteen wrote: »
    "No pilotable UNSC vehicles"

If the campaign had hornets or falcons or some other new aircraft, I'm sure we'd see them in Warzone, too. Which is why I doubt there are any.

Considering we've seen very little in the way of new enemies, vehicles, and weapons befitting the generational leap between Halo 4 and Halo 5, and Halo 4 itself was a step down from previous games, I'm concerned that Halo 5 won't actually have that much in it.

Sorry, I assumed the context of my use of "vehicles" would be inferred on its own. Did you assume when he said there would be vehicles in BTB that they would also not be pilotable too?

Ah, by pilotable, I mean UNSC aircraft specifically. There will definitely be the classic ground vehicles and banshees as well.

I'm just worried about how little new content 343i's actually shown. I want them to make a big, fun Halo game, but Halo 4 was notoriously light on variety and Halo 5 sounds like it might be the same.

No Halo game has had more than two flight vehicles in it at a time. Halo 5 is doing a Forerunner plane rather than a UNSC one, that's all it is.

Well, there is this:

Locke's Vulture:

New-York-Toy-Fair-2015-Halo-Mega-Bloks-Vulture.jpg

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/07/29/343-on-why-halo-5-has-no-split-screen-support-in-any-mode

To say this is disgusting is an understatement, the spirit of Halo is being played with three of your best buddies on the couch, 343 has proved time and time again that they are worthless. I have never wished death upon a game before, but I want this game to tank. Fuck Halo 5 and fuck 343.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It's been literally years since I last used splitscreen
    I think you overestimate its importance

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    It's been literally years since I last used splitscreen
    I think you overestimate its importance

I played split screen games today
    And most every time I have friends over
    You downplay it's importance

edited July 2015
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/07/29/343-on-why-halo-5-has-no-split-screen-support-in-any-mode

To say this is disgusting is an understatement, the spirit of Halo is being played with three of your best buddies on the couch, 343 has proved time and time again that they are worthless. I have never wished death upon a game before, but I want this game to tank. Fuck Halo 5 and fuck 343.

You should probably be upset at all the people that propagate the idea that 4K/120 fps is what makes a game*... not gameplay, story and features, not the people who have made the reasonable decision to cut a feature that they couldn't support to a given standard without potentially compromising other portions of their game.

eta: *yes, I know that Halo 5 is shooting for 1080p/60fps but the idea here is that graphical fidelity has taken precedence over every other aspect of a game and it's stupid and needs to stop.

tastydonuts on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I don't feel that strongly to the point that I'd wish to see the game fail, but I'm still pretty disappointed, particularly considering how well split-screen turned out on the Master Chief Collection

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I am willing to take a hit in visual fidelity for the sake of couch co-op. They act like Halo is the ultimate multiplayer game, but eschew classic Halo conventions like splitscreen. I really hope they make Reach Backwards compatible.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I want the MCC treatment for Reach, but it doesn't sound like that's in the works. It's the most conspicuous abscence from Xbox One Halo-wise right now.

I'd love for Halo Wars to be backwards compatible.

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular

343 lost me with Halo 4. Lame bullet sponge uncreative enemies, still fighting Elites because "they're cool" instead of brutes, bad story, etc. I played the campaign through on 4 person co-op once and never fired it up again. Halo, sadly, isn't on my purchasing radar for the first time ever.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

You should probably be upset at all the people that propagate the idea that 4K/120 fps is what makes a game*... not gameplay, story and features, not the people who have made the reasonable decision to cut a feature that they couldn't support to a given standard without potentially compromising other portions of their game.

eta: *yes, I know that Halo 5 is shooting for 1080p/60fps but the idea here is that graphical fidelity has taken precedence over every other aspect of a game and it's stupid and needs to stop.

I'd be more upset if it didn't seem like literally every other console FPS was trying to get rid of it as quickly as possible, Halo MCC (and Advanced Warfare, weirdly enough?) being lone exceptions. Killzone Shadow Fall dropped it (on the other hand, Killzone sucks, so that's not a great argument). It's not a feature any developer wants to do anymore, going the way of LAN local multiplayer as well.

PC first person shooters never had it (except in certain ports from console appearing with unicorn-like rarity).

I am willing to take a hit in visual fidelity for the sake of couch co-op. They act like Halo is the ultimate multiplayer game, but eschew classic Halo conventions like splitscreen. I really hope they make Reach Backwards compatible.

The thing is, the narrative around the game wouldnt support it, and since now more than ever that narrative drives sales... putting it in with that concession would hurt it. Even though the only game that I can think of that runs 1080p/60fps split screen is Mario Kart, it'd be spun as "a testament to the xbox one's wimpy hardware" if they downscaled for split screen and such.

Note, this isnt a knock against Mario Kart or w/e.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    There has never been a AAA game that had a splitscreen mode that did not drop the quality for said splitscreen mode. They do some combination of lowering the resolution, lowering the framerate, lowering texture quality, lowering model quality, and/or lowering rendering distance. The fact that they'd have to lower quality for splitscreen doesn't invite any sort of "Xbone is limp lol" narrative because it'd be expected no matter which console it was on. This decision is purely about time management: they're cutting splitscreen because it takes a lot of work and they're under the gun to perform well after MCC's flop.

Opty wrote: »
    There has never been a AAA game that had a splitscreen mode that did not drop the quality for said splitscreen mode. They do some combination of lowering the resolution, lowering the framerate, lowering texture quality, lowering model quality, and/or lowering rendering distance. The fact that they'd have to lower quality for splitscreen doesn't invite any sort of "Xbone is limp lol" narrative because it'd be expected no matter which console it was on. This decision is purely about time management: they're cutting splitscreen because it takes a lot of work and they're under the gun to perform well after MCC's flop.

Yeah, that's true.

And were we dealing with people presenting and accepting rational arguments founded in the realities of programming and development instead of emotional biases and so forth... they would be able to treat Halo 5's split-screen in that fashion, and it would have been enough.

But yeah. And it's especially true given the situation with MCC's reception and issues.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it kinda sucked that when I went to show my buddies Halesy's lab in Reach we did it split screen (easier with two players, though I did mange to solo it a few times) all the cool little photos and shout outs to the previous games were removed (though the interaction nodes were still there).

Also it kinda sucks that while they're simply ports and have been beefed up enough to allow four player local play, even the Borderlands rerelease drops the graphic details when doing any type of spiltscreen (was hoping 1/2 players would have full graphics while 3/4 would be reduced).

newSig.jpg
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2015
    There were playlists all the way up until 4 that we couldn't submit Forge maps to because the vast majority of the playlist was playing in 4 player splitscreen.

For what it's worth, a 343 employee also mentioned that the splitscreen userbase is sizable and they know people are not going to be happy about it being cut.

FyreWulff on
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular

It's a real shame that splitscreen is going away, I think it's probably a mistake even though I don't use it nearly as much as I did

that said

chill dude it's just a video game

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Synthesis wrote: »
    PC first person shooters never had it (except in certain ports from console appearing with unicorn-like rarity).

My favorite mode in any shooter ever on the PC was the Serious Sam split-screen and the patented ~~siixteeen plaayerrrr cooo-oooop~~~, alongside its Go Fuck Yourself numbers of enemy hordes that scale to the number of players in the room.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Coming to PC?

Hell yes!

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Long as they make sure the computer doesn't cheat again, I'll be happy.

(It didn't cheat in the first game either, just want them to keep doing that)

newSig.jpg
    I hope they don't actually kill off Red Team, like the trailer implies.

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Eh, lack of splitscreen is the final nail in the coffin for me and this series.

The best thing about the Halo Wars 2 trailer is the art direction. Everything looks visually consistent with the original game, rather than forced into 343i's designs. I love that Mark IV armor.

edited August 2015
    Due for release Oct 6th, Amazon has posted the Master Chief and Spartan Locke controller variants. Since solid colored controllers are a thing of the past now, here they are!

Master Chief:
    715Zp92KPXL._SL1424_.jpg

Spartan Locke:
    71ZxXNpShzL._SL1348_.jpg

Also, via Kinja Deals, the new Xbox One controller is on sale for $48 USD, and with the play and charge kit, $57 USB on for Amazon Prime members. (Source)

edit: spoilered for large dimensions.

tastydonuts on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That Spartan Locke pad is sooooooo sexy.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Long as they make sure the computer doesn't cheat again, I'll be happy.

(It didn't cheat in the first game either, just want them to keep doing that)

This is Creative Assembly we're talking about here.

Which has awesome promise (this is how I imagine all those Warhammer fans feel about Total Warhammer), but, you know, a good chance for cheating AI to be introduced.

Above all else, I hope Creative Assembly can keep it simple. The original Halo Wars is easy to jump into and control.

Sooo... here's the latest commercial for Halo 5 (released a few days ago):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SENJV2_XuLM

Also, they posted the opening cinematic too (posted in August):

The opening cinematic for Locke's team just feels so wrong to me.

Really? It feels like how Spartans should feel to me.

edited October 2015
    I fucking love continuous long cuts in cutscenes, and Kazuma Jinnouchi's kick-ass music was the icing on the cake.

I'm more bothered by the live-action commercial. "Spartans Never Die" is supposed to be the philosophy by which the UNSC deals with its PR, and this little announcement thing runs completely opposite to that. And they don't treat the breaking of that philosophy with the sort of gravitas that would make that an intentional choice (though obviously conveying gravitas in a television spot may be a difficult art to master), so it feels like 343 just fucked the lore to put out a cool-sounding commercial :P

pre-emptive edit: And obviously this is just ONI-devised propaganda used to make a martyr out of the Chief, but it still runs counter to the central idea with which the UNSC makes legends out of their Spartan program

BRIAN BLESSED on
    edited October 2015
    I fucking love continuous long cuts in cutscenes, and Kazuma Jinnouchi's kick-ass music was the icing on the cake.

I'm more bothered by the live-action commercial. "Spartans Never Die" is supposed to be the philosophy by which the UNSC deals with its PR, and this little announcement thing runs completely opposite to that. And they don't treat the breaking of that philosophy with the sort of gravitas that would make that an intentional choice (though obviously conveying gravitas in a television spot may be a difficult art to master), so it feels like 343 just fucked the lore to put out a cool-sounding commercial :P

pre-emptive edit: And obviously this is just ONI-devised propaganda used to make a martyr out of the Chief, but it still runs counter to the central idea with which the UNSC makes legends out of their Spartan program
    I kinda doubt these ads are canon. Remember that series of Halo 3 ads describing a completely different series of events than what actually ended up going down in Halo 3?

cB557 on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular

There's also one for Blue Team up.

https://youtu.be/z0bYEToC0zA

I kinda doubt these ads are canon. Remember that series of Halo 3 ads describing a completely different series of events than what actually ended up going down in Halo 3?

You mean Landfall?

Those had the benefit of being directed by Neil Blokamp and being sickrad even though it took liberties with the script.

Its floaty and oddly paced. It's tonally incontinence with the earlier games. Its just so wrong.

Cheif's opening cinematic. Now they nailed that.

• sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular

Its floaty and oddly paced. It's tonally inconsistent with the earlier games. Its just so wrong.

FTFY, unless you meant to say they were tonally unable to control their bowels.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
    The Fireteam Osiris opening looks like it came straight out of Monty Oum's mind, so I love it for its absurdity.

Yeah the more I looked at it the more I thought "you know, this seems a little on-the-nose enough and has fancy enough choreography to be some sort of Monty Oum tribute"

Also Halo has ridiculously floaty jump physics for what are supposed to be technically giant stonking power suits, so y'knaw :P

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    @arteen @cB557 @anyoneelse who plays Destiny like crack like I do.

So how does Halo 5 compare to Destiny? Is the MP better? Worst? Different enough to be its own thing?

• OptyOpty Registered User regular

Its floaty and oddly paced. It's tonally incontinence with the earlier games. Its just so wrong.

It's highlighting the difference between Spartan IIs and Spartan IVs. You played as a Spartan II for 3 of the 5 previous games, an ODST for one, and a Spartan III for the last. The only time you played as a Spartan IV previously was Halo 4's multiplayer and Spartan Ops sequences.