As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Hunters felt way easier this time around. They tend to leave an exposed knee joint as they advance with their shield.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Oh man I was wondering about this, and it was implied I guess, but interesting to see none the less.

I wouldn't click until you've finished campaign, it's not a direct spoiler but implies other events.
    Friend sent me a *shudder* tiktok, but Locke is dead according to grunt chatter and his helmet is adorned on one of the Brute bosses shoulder

Dixon on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The new multiplayer selections are there, Which is awesome. There's even one thats no shields with battle rifles so if you want to die real fast?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    The Classic Swat, probably the most rage inducing of playlists. If you want to be stationary but still get sweaty and high blood pressure that's the playlist to go with.

I know I'll be playing it.

Dixon on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5y_wWH89NM

I love these little videos of grunts.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I think I went through 90% of the campaign with the BR and Rapidfire Pulse Carbine. Walked through every open world encounter with those two.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Battle Rifle regular version puts in the work. My offhand was usually something I scrounged along the way or picked up if I needed some oomph. Though that upgraded sidekicker is a beast.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    The Mangler is straight up boss shit I love that weapon

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Yeah BR was my main, then Shock Rifle or Sentinel Beam.

That upgraded Sidekick is def killer though.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The Mangler was my go-to for pretty much everything, second slot was more freewheeling, most likely whatever power weapon I saw last.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    The default disrupter is crap, but the calcine version is nasty. Slight delay on its shots exploding, but they do massive damage and can easily lobo down things

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    the basic Bulldog might be one of the worst shotguns I've ever had to use in a game. The Convergence Bulldog is fucking great though.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    the basic Bulldog might be one of the worst shotguns I've ever had to use in a game. The Convergence Bulldog is fucking great though.

Only problem with the convergence is other guns are way better and hold more killing in them.

Like the upgraded basic rifle is a beast.

I did like the mangler in SP as its a nice "oh shit I'm out of ammo!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Fuck

The BR and Warthog bundles in the store this week

And they look

AMAZING

on the Rockstar colors

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    I picked up the cortana chief weapon dongle last week it was too cute.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Okay for real though, just match people into ranked games mid-game

Cuz like, hey, if the wins and the losses aren't how they track your MMR, and it's just measuring your performance? I don't know how to do well in a 2v4 CTF match

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Of the alternate weapons, my favorite is the S7 Flexfire Sniper. The sniper with 50 shots is kinda crazy.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Why the fuck are ranked games

ESPECIALLY WINS

part of the challenges?

• Options
    Oh and yes the shotgun in this is one of the worst Halo shotguns, because I've never much cared for high rate of fire/low damage shotguns, and prefer slower, higher damage, more satisfying shotguns that have the really meaty ch-chk sounds when you rack 'em

Nothing's ever gonna really reach Halo 1's shotgun but that doesn't mean we have to give up the dream

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular

ESPECIALLY WINS

part of the challenges?

Yea that was super annoying. I have no desire to play Ranked mode, especially since the one CTF mode I played it in lasted FOREVER, we got 5 caps before it was over.
    I hate CTF, especially with the whole juggle-toss-regrab-toss flag crap.

Anyway I got my first Ranked challenge today to play a game, so I rerolled....and it was replaced by a challenge to play TWO ranked games. Annoying =p.
    So I bit the bullet and did it and then the next challenge that took its place was "play one slayer ranked game"...

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    The Disruptor is super useful in utility against vehicles to stop them from their bullshit in multiplayer, but singleplayer is where an infinite grapple hook exists so knocking a user off their vehicle is the easiest thing in the world and the disruptor basically has very little utility against much else.

Unless it's a boss fight in which you want to keep their shields from regenerating or w/e

• Options
    The Disruptor is super useful in utility against vehicles to stop them from their bullshit in multiplayer, but singleplayer is where an infinite grapple hook exists so knocking a user off their vehicle is the easiest thing in the world and the disruptor basically has very little utility against much else.

Unless it's a boss fight in which you want to keep their shields from regenerating or w/e

Yeah, I think the disruptor really needs its damage-over-time boosted

I like how it feels to shoot, but I rarely get kills with it unless I manage to hit them with the whole clip

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I had to reroll a "get one grappleshot on a spartan" because I kept doing it and it kept not counting and fuck doing an impossible challenge!

I do find it amusing in singleplayer grappleshot was my go to, in multi aside from using it for mobility it gets your ass mega dead.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I had to reroll a "get one grappleshot on a spartan" because I kept doing it and it kept not counting and fuck doing an impossible challenge!

I do find it amusing in singleplayer grappleshot was my go to, in multi aside from using it for mobility it gets your ass mega dead.

It is HARD to go back to multi's grapple after using the maxed out grapple in single =p.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    I am loving the new game queues, it helps a lot to switch it up more here and there.

• Options
    Darlan wrote: »
    I am loving the new game queues, it helps a lot to switch it up more here and there.

Makes it so much easier to complete specific challenges, too! I've burned through like eight today in just a few matches!

Still needs work but it's certainly better

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Have we been able to see all the upcoming challenges for the weekly since they started multiplayer, or is that a new addition alongside the playlists? Noticed it last night, seems helpful to know ahead of time what you'll be asked to do between now and next Tuesday (if only to plan out what's getting re-rolled...)

• Options
    Yeah we've been able to see upcoming runes for a while. I'm just not sure if the swapped challenges pull from that list as well.

• Options
    vamen wrote: »

ESPECIALLY WINS

part of the challenges?

Yea that was super annoying. I have no desire to play Ranked mode, especially since the one CTF mode I played it in lasted FOREVER, we got 5 caps before it was over.
    I hate CTF, especially with the whole juggle-toss-regrab-toss flag crap.

Anyway I got my first Ranked challenge today to play a game, so I rerolled....and it was replaced by a challenge to play TWO ranked games. Annoying =p.
    So I bit the bullet and did it and then the next challenge that took its place was "play one slayer ranked game"...

I hate the grab-toss-grabb-toss juggle of CTF as well and I don't understand why they do it now. If you do the regular non-sprint run with the flag you don't show up on peoples HUD's anymore.

Maybe it's not the same on Ranked but man being invisible with the flag is so much better than the slight speed buff.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I am terribad at tactical slayer but it's great fun.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Again, the calcine disrupter is *real* good and irecommend giving it a try. It can one shot most low rank things, and stuns plenty else. It can 2 shot a normal brute, and 3 shot a red brute. It also procs the chain lighting effect very easily, so if things cluster you can wipe out groups in a pair of shots. Only real issue is that Electric ammo is decently rare, and electirc weapons seem to be useless vs hunters.

I almost think they overtuned the grapple in this. Maybe legendary will change my mind, but on heroic it's mostly an i win button.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Yeah in Legendary the Grapple is just necessary to survive lol, even you have to swap between grapple and thrusters on the fly to survive.

Superman punch is still useful, but it leaves you hanging in the air. It's mostly a finisher on the last guy of the group for me or the instigator move but it's dangerous to use mid fight.

Dixon on
  • Options
    So is anyone else having problem connecting to servers? I know the internet in general is having a shit recently so I imagine its related to that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Again, the calcine disrupter is *real* good and irecommend giving it a try. It can one shot most low rank things, and stuns plenty else. It can 2 shot a normal brute, and 3 shot a red brute. It also procs the chain lighting effect very easily, so if things cluster you can wipe out groups in a pair of shots. Only real issue is that Electric ammo is decently rare, and electirc weapons seem to be useless vs hunters.

I almost think they overtuned the grapple in this. Maybe legendary will change my mind, but on heroic it's mostly an i win button.

I'm super keen to find the rest of the unique variants, but the truth of the matter is that most of the game's level design is tuned around the ludicrous mobility that the infinite grapple hook provides. I've seen comparisons on social media of Halo Infinite to Doom 2016 as one of the greatest first person shooters ever made, and while I vehemently disagree because Titanfall 2 is a thing, I think it strongly evokes the same sense of mobility and gratification that 2016 provided (and maybe more critically, that Eternal shied away from in favor of slightly more prescriptive resource management and weapon puzzling). The grapple hook just opens up so many different kinds of playstyles, from defensive/evasive to insanely hyper-aggressive, Doom-style close quarters punch-ups, and the game is willing to be loosey-goosey about what kinds of play styles are optimal.

With the infinite grapple hook, Halo Infinite is somehow a faster game than Halo 5 with unparalleled verticality in a franchise that had space dogfights at one point. They could probably retune it to a more reasonable, thoughtful recharge speed to make the game less silly, but when it comes to the seesaw balancing act in game design of gratification versus challenge, personally I prefer to see games err on the side of gratification first.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options

I'm super keen to find the rest of the unique variants, but the truth of the matter is that most of the game's level design is tuned around the ludicrous mobility that the infinite grapple hook provides. I've seen comparisons on social media of Halo Infinite to Doom 2016 as one of the greatest first person shooters ever made, and while I vehemently disagree because Titanfall 2 is a thing, I think it strongly evokes the same sense of mobility and gratification that 2016 provided (and maybe more critically, that Eternal shied away from in favor of slightly more prescriptive resource management and weapon puzzling). The grapple hook just opens up so many different kinds of playstyles, from defensive/evasive to insanely hyper-aggressive, Doom-style close quarters punch-ups, and the game is willing to be loosey-goosey about what kinds of play styles are optimal.

With the infinite grapple hook, Halo Infinite is somehow a faster game than Halo 5 with unparalleled verticality in a franchise that had space dogfights at one point. They could probably retune it to a more reasonable, thoughtful recharge speed to make the game less silly, but when it comes to the seesaw balancing act in game design of gratification versus challenge, personally I prefer to see games err on the side of gratification first.

Oh, i'm not bothered by it's mobility - that's great. (Also, i'd argue Eternal was more mobile than 2016, just due to Meathook and air dodge - The puzzle combat, especially in the dlc was a weak point, no arguments there. But the base game was very strong, even on it's highest diffuclty). It's mostly the superman punch does a bit too much of well, everything - when it's bolted ontop of the grapple's mobility, ability to grab pseudo-grenades, weapons and ease hijacking, it starts looking extra silly.

Def find the calcine disrupter. It's easy to grab, and it's such a silly weapon.

• Options
    Clearly they must have had issues because the daily challenge reset didn't happen at 9 it got pushed back to 10.

Also had a challenge to play two games of tactical slayer and boy howdy that is not what I'm good at.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Oh man there is someone in the comic thread who hates the grunt dialogue, imagine being that wrong. Like wow embarrasing!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Leave the grapple just like it is always and forever, thank you.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Leave the grapple just like it is always and forever, thank you.

I really think they can't change it at this point. Just like if the next game isn't open world like this one it will be a step back.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So it looks like halo multi is just down?

pleasepaypreacher.net