As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strange search pop-up

NogginNoggin Registered User regular
This is really weird but it happened on both my computer and my iphone, using firefox and safari respectively if that's any help

Using advanced forum search for the word "resolution" in the Title box brought up a username/password pop up that said:
A username and password are being requested by youarebeingmanipulated dot com. The site says: "Access Restricted (pwrestrict)"

That it also happened on my brand new phone makes me think it's not on my end... I hope?

edit: rephrased to not be a link

Battletag: Noggin#1936
Noggin on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    What other options did you do on the search because I'm not getting anything.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I searched resolution, got the results page

expanded the advanced options, typed resolution in the "Title" box, searched again.

No other options. I've only had it happen when searching via thread title, and only on that word. So weird.

Noggin on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm going to need a looooooooooooooot of specifics

• Options
    My guess is that you searched for content that loaded an image from that site, which now requires a password to access it.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Tube wrote: »
    My guess is that you searched for content that loaded an image from that site, which now requires a password to access it.

that seems to be the case. when i do an advanced search with the word "resolution" in the title, the ninth result (thread titled: "It doesn't have to be New Years (Resolutions)") shows a broken image with a URL matching the "youarebeingmanipulated" site.

weird that it pops up a login though. on Chrome it doesn't appear.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Ah, yup. Appears to be from this post:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/167426/it-doesnt-have-to-be-new-years-resolutions

Sorry then. After seeing the "New Ads?" thread I figured I'd post this in case it was phishing or something

• Options
    This was absolutely worth reporting, thank you.

This discussion has been closed.