As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread, check out the new thread!

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Varg wrote: »
    I thought he was being super sadistic because he had to make himself look like an agent of the Holy See. Which is why everyone believed everything he said and did. We then took an unpleasant romp trying to convince them that they were being duped and they should stop being awful people willing to execute innocent people on a whim.

My point exactly!

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but the story could go a lot of places

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Got a PS4 over christmas, upgraded the PS3 version of XIV I had to it because why not?

Turns out that my Logitech Unifying receiver I use on my PC also works without any issue on the PS4.

One wireless dongle and the same KBAM I use on my PC works on the PS4; and the game looks and plays pretty much identically.

So that's rad. Particularly since XIV has a really bad habit of overheating my CPU and shutting my PC down.

Anyway, apparently you can't save/transfer over HUD/Macro/Layout settings between PC and PS4 (I hadn't done anything on the PS3, I never actually even loaded it up, so nothing to transfer there)...

Does anyone have any tips on making it any less painful to reset it all up on the PS4? I was thinking maybe screenshotting the HUD customize screen and opening it on my laptop and trying to use that as a guide? I think for macros and all my class/job sets I'll have to just remake them all. :(
    Also, hi XIV thread, I haven't posted in one of you for like...6 months or more

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or are Dragoons over populated?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    T9 is some special kind of bullshit. Them ice and fireballs.

Anyone at all get distracted for a few seconds? Prepare to wipe.

And then people want to run it multiple times. Because they want that weapon or whatever.

Just no. Stahp.

Watch for marker, move out or stay in. The order doesn't change from attempt to attempt. It's not hard. If you find yourself easily distracted, technical fights may not be for you. Wait for the eventual nerfed version?

I do just fine. Never once did I say otherwise.

"If you find reading to be too difficult maybe forums aren't for you. Wait for the eventual picture version?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Roe wrote: »

They are a very popular job to be sure. On top of that they recently got some love in the last patch so there is also the job hopper population that is inflating their numbers a bit more than usual.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Got a PS4 over christmas, upgraded the PS3 version of XIV I had to it because why not?

Turns out that my Logitech Unifying receiver I use on my PC also works without any issue on the PS4.

One wireless dongle and the same KBAM I use on my PC works on the PS4; and the game looks and plays pretty much identically.

So that's rad. Particularly since XIV has a really bad habit of overheating my CPU and shutting my PC down.

Anyway, apparently you can't save/transfer over HUD/Macro/Layout settings between PC and PS4 (I hadn't done anything on the PS3, I never actually even loaded it up, so nothing to transfer there)...

Does anyone have any tips on making it any less painful to reset it all up on the PS4? I was thinking maybe screenshotting the HUD customize screen and opening it on my laptop and trying to use that as a guide? I think for macros and all my class/job sets I'll have to just remake them all. :(

This is something I've struggled with myself, and unfortunately there's no easy way to speed things up; UI elements are going to look different coming from a big TV than from your monitor.

For me it's all about resizing every single icon until it's just right, not too big but not too small that it isn't legible. Fortunately you can do this easily using R3 (I think) while in the HUD customization screen.

The real kicker, for me, is coming up with easy to memorize hotbar shortcuts for every single job. 99.9% of the time I'll play on PC just because I have more keyboard shortcuts, plus item management is just infinitely quicker.

• Options

This is something I've struggled with myself, and unfortunately there's no easy way to speed things up; UI elements are going to look different coming from a big TV than from your monitor.

For me it's all about resizing every single icon until it's just right, not too big but not too small that it isn't legible. Fortunately you can do this easily using R3 (I think) while in the HUD customization screen.

The real kicker, for me, is coming up with easy to memorize hotbar shortcuts for every single job. 99.9% of the time I'll play on PC just because I have more keyboard shortcuts, plus item management is just infinitely quicker.

Ah I probably should have clarified, I use the same monitor for my PS4 as PC, so I basically just need to get everything over 1:1

I'll probably just do the screenshot thing; just get a grab of the HUD customization menu and every classes hotbars and just remake them.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Should be easier for you then, though I also believe certain UI elements are automatically bigger in the PS4 version.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Yeah a lot of things were hilariously large. Even sitting on the couch, I'm not entirely sure the chat box that could fit 5 words at a time would have been super useful. :P

EDIT: wow, 166meg for those screenshots, even compressed. yay for google drive I guess.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Quick question: What is the Enjin board good for on the Guilds website?
    and
    How do I apply to Ghost in the linkshell?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Quick question: What is the Enjin board good for on the Guilds website?
    and
    How do I apply to Ghost in the linkshell?

Another form of communication for FC members, particularly for people who aren't in PA as well, of which we have quite a few.

Easiest way to apply is either tell me your character name and I'll send you an invite, or find any <GHOST> members examine them and then select the Free Comany name and submit an application with the letters PA in it.

Either way works :)

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

They are a very popular job to be sure. On top of that they recently got some love in the last patch so there is also the job hopper population that is inflating their numbers a bit more than usual.

Indeed.

Plus Dragoon (along with Black Mage and White Mage) is probably one of the most recognizable FF classes out there.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I am not worried about the snow and darkness. I hate the people.

For what it's worth, Commander Bishounen from Ishgard who comes into the picture during the 2.4 story quest is there partly to show you that not all Ishgardians are insufferable pricks, so I wouldn't worry too much.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Doing Rogue stuff. All I could think of,

NLgERw5.jpg

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    So. Finally getting back into this.

I'm going to go ahead and assume the launch-window bot bonanza and launch-window mmo hoppers are long gone? Those were really my only two big complaints, really. Really loved the game itself.

It's been long enough I'm just going to start over (I need to relearn everything). What servers would you all recommend for someone very-not-hardcore?

• Options
    Astale wrote: »
    So. Finally getting back into this.

I'm going to go ahead and assume the launch-window bot bonanza and launch-window mmo hoppers are long gone? Those were really my only two big complaints, really. Really loved the game itself.

It's been long enough I'm just going to start over (I need to relearn everything). What servers would you all recommend for someone very-not-hardcore?

Most everyone here is on Sargatanas.

You'll still get plenty of bot whispers; as far as 'mmo hoppers' go, I dunno what to tell you there, XIV has had a habit of keeping the people it gets its claws into.

I don't play much right now for various reasons, but when I do it still seems as populated as ever.

• Options
    By 'hoppers' I mean that first month or two crowd that run around, scream how not everything is like WoW, everybody is scrubs, and after playing for two weeks nonstop they can't find people to run dungeons with because most of the playerbase hasn't even gotten that far yet.

They do that then leave. In one mmo after the next. There is probably a term out there for them already, but I like "hoppers". It's festive.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I call them "tourists." They take a vacation, complain how everything isn't like it is back home, and then leave.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular

And then people want to run it multiple times. Because they want that weapon or whatever.

Just no. Stahp.

Watch for marker, move out or stay in. The order doesn't change from attempt to attempt. It's not hard. If you find yourself easily distracted, technical fights may not be for you. Wait for the eventual nerfed version?

"If you find reading to be too difficult maybe forums aren't for you. Wait for the eventual picture version?"

Your entire post indicates that you're having issues with the mechanics. If you are doing it just fine, then why are you complaining about the mechanics? Did you mean to complain about others? The solution to that, don't PF/DF it. Get a static.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk (your intent I see though was to be), it's just that if people have issues, it'll be scaled back soon enough and then you and others can have an easier shot at it. Simple as that.

• Options

Just no. Stahp.

Your entire post indicates that you're having issues with the mechanics. If you are doing it just fine, then why are you complaining about the mechanics? Did you mean to complain about others? The solution to that, don't PF/DF it. Get a static.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk (your intent I see though was to be), it's just that if people have issues, it'll be scaled back soon enough and then you and others can have an easier shot at it. Simple as that.

Your intent may not to be a goose, however your posting style is often interpreted as such. Which ultimately is what actually matters.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Just no. Stahp.

Something that makes fire Ice and Thunder easy is remember that there is always a Thunder after fire and you can just ignore ice, as long as 7 people are up you'll never need to really worry about it. The whole thing is very recoverable provided people don't lightning each other into Oblivion ;)

Edit: guess you are OK on the fight :)

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    So my humorous story for the day.

Leveling Rogue and my roulette lands me in Copperbell. There is myself (She-hulk), two catgirls, and a catboy tank.

Catboy tank turns to blue haired catgirl and says (something along the lines of) "Hark, you are a vision! Truly the fates are kind to have brought us together across worlds! Will you make our two hearts one?"

Blue-hair turns him down.

After the first boss Catboy turns to the brown haired catgirl. "My heart has been wounded madam, perchance you are the salve I need?"

Brown-hair turns him down.

After the next boss Catboy turns to me and says, "Twice wounded has my heart been, mayhap I can seek solace in the strong embrace of a beauty of a Roe?"

I turn him down.

At the end of the dungeon Catboy says, "T'would seem I did not find love in this dismal place, but I shall carry the memory of the three beauties who guided me through it's dark halls. Fair thee well!"

I was literally in tears laughing, it was so freaking good.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'm thinkin' that I may come back when 2.5 arrives on January 20. Cancelled my account in October, I assume it's recoverable if I grovel enough to Enix support ? But I'm most interested in playing the new character classes, so I'd be okay with starting from scratch anyway.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I'm thinkin' that I may come back when 2.5 arrives on January 20. Cancelled my account in October, I assume it's recoverable if I grovel enough to Enix support ? But I'm most interested in playing the new character classes, so I'd be okay with starting from scratch anyway.

Did you cancel the account altogether or just cancel the subscription?

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options

Did you cancel the account altogether or just cancel the subscription?

The entire account because I couldn't figure out how to cancel just the subscription...

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oof.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Heh, is there any way the new race is not going to be known as the Oo Rah ?

I for one will always call them the, OORAH!

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Heh, is there any way the new race is not going to be known as the Oo Rah ?

@Darth Waiter

Guess what, Marine.

• Options
    So both my old server (Cactaur) and Sarg are both not available for new character creation (kind of silly I can't on Cactaur since I've already got chars there, not like I can be on several at once), but anyways...

As I understand it they open/close servers based on congestion at specific times? How reasonable is it to just check it after each of those times? I'm dragging a friend back into this as well, since he was given a shiny new ps4 for christmas (and got the console version of FF), so we want to get on the same server.

• Options

Just no. Stahp.

Your intent may not to be a goose, however your posting style is often interpreted as such. Which ultimately is what actually matters.

And this is exactly why I left the FC and have yet to have any issues in my current one or any LS since beta. Well, that and other reasons, but...

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

Just no. Stahp.

And this is exactly why I left the FC and have yet to have any issues in my current one or any LS since beta. Well, that and other reasons, but...

Because you can't express yourself well or because you get teary eyed when people respond in a similar style?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this and assume the former, yet it seems strongly to lean towards the latter.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    So, with a level 18 GLD, how often should I be hitting Flash? Every time it's off cooldown? Every third or fourth ability in a rotation?

Also, are all future main story quests dungeon gated from now on, or is this just sort of a tutorial?

• Options

Just no. Stahp.

Because you can't express yourself well or because you get teary eyed when people respond in a similar style?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this and assume the former, yet it seems strongly to lean towards the latter.

One of the big reasons I left the FC was that it is extremely over crowded and consists mostly of people begging for clears and carries complaining that content is too hard. Anytime I suggested that people actually form their own groups and try to beat the content normally, I'd get shouted down for being "mean" or a "jerk". I express myself quite well, and no, I don't get "teary eyed", more like "rolly eyed". Like I said, I don't have this issue outside of the FC at all. GHOST has a habit of coddling players and creating a warm and cuddly atmosphere, and not that this is a bad way of running an FC exactly, it's just obviously not for me.

Now, that's it for me in this discussion. If you want to keep making personal attacks, feel free, I just won't respond. Not into drama or thread derailing.

• Options
    edited January 2015

Just no. Stahp.

You left, because if you didn't we were going to kick you, largely in part for the very attitude you are displaying here. :)

It has been very pleasant in FC chat since then.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options

Just no. Stahp.

You left, because if you didn't we were going to kick you, largely in part for the very attitude you are displaying here. :)

No, actually. I've considered leaving multiple times before as the FC contributes nothing to me or my progression and FC chat is insufferable. Mainly, I hadn't because of laziness and not wanting to clean out my FC room. Anyhow, no hard feelings and best of luck to whatever you guys are planning on getting up to.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    So, with a level 18 GLD, how often should I be hitting Flash? Every time it's off cooldown? Every third or fourth ability in a rotation?

Also, are all future main story quests dungeon gated from now on, or is this just sort of a tutorial?

You will be required to do dungeons at several points in the story, as well as 'trials' (was that what they were called? been awhile) that are basically just one huge boss fight.

They're not real bad. Worst part is the wait in queue if you're dps. And there are optional ones (leveling ones I mean, not endgame) that you don't need to do. They're fun though.

edit: And from my ye olden days knowledge, flash was terrible at pulling aggro off of people, you pretty much had to use it on enemies that hadn't been struck yet, then manage it as needed while trying to get the dps to hit your target and not a happy treant across the room. I *also* don't recall it having a cooldown of any sort, though, so it may have been changed?

My favorite optional dungeon was the one with the BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!! (I hope those are still there; I remember the screams whenever they attacked, such good times)

And not to interrupt the guild drama (ex-guild drama, I guess), but I really would appreciate an answer on the server question pretty please (whether it's reasonable to wait and see if they open up, or if it's going to be days waiting) if anyone knows how it works. Not being pushy. Just would help me and my friend decide what we want to do. I'd rather not jump on Goblin or Faerie. I hear they have cooties.

That does also bring to mind another question (yes, I'm being a pest): Do people maintain linkshells that are for say, dungeon groups or crafting? As a custom chat channel, I mean. Or, for that matter, can you do custom channels? All I know is that it took me ten minutes to figure out that /shout is not /yell (I'm used to /general from almost all other mmos) and I think I annoyed all of Gridania finding that out while messing with my old char. >_>

Astale on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Thanks for reminding me that the Fieldcraft classes get GC provisioning missions as well. That really helps, especially if I go for High Quality stuff, as I get a lot of XP just for all the gathering that requires.

• Options

Just no. Stahp.

No, actually. I've considered leaving multiple times before as the FC contributes nothing to me or my progression and FC chat is insufferable. Mainly, I hadn't because of laziness and not wanting to clean out my FC room. Anyhow, no hard feelings and best of luck to whatever you guys are planning on getting up to.

This illustrates my point exactly.

delphinidaes.png
This discussion has been closed.