As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    I will refrain from opening that nested spoiler. I want some surprises (and plan on watching the show first and not reading the books, at least not until afterwards.)

Tempting though.

It's worth seeing how the story plays out.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Call me very happy with this Bobbie.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    They... certainly went through a lot of trouble to get the right representation for Bobbi. Hooray for there being 7 billion people on this crazy ol' planet.

Now I'm kinda ashamed that I was sort of onboard with ScarJo playing Kusinagi in the GitS remake. Like, there was no breakout Japanese star to play that role? I digress.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    They... certainly went through a lot of trouble to get the right representation for Bobbi. Hooray for there being 7 billion people on this crazy ol' planet.

Now I'm kinda ashamed that I was sort of onboard with ScarJo playing Kusinagi in the GitS remake. Like, there was no breakout Japanese star to play that role? I digress.

Was talking about this with my friends today.

Like is not Rinko Kikuchi doesn't exist at all...
    Rinko+Kikuchi+Pacific+Rim+Premieres+London+Z2dwVTqFhhZx.jpg

But on this it is a great casting. She matches pretty much all the descriptions in the book. I think it is really great for them. Especially considering that how most studios are risk adverse for this stuff with their audiences.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    stay away from the wikipedia page. It spoiled some major events that I have yet to get to (Still only half way through Caliban's War)

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    For super fans, Subterranean Press has a limited edition of Leviathan Wakes available, and they're trying to get the rights to the rest.

https://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/leviathan_wakes

People who buy get right of first refusal on future novels with same number / letter.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    For super fans, Subterranean Press has a limited edition of Leviathan Wakes available, and they're trying to get the rights to the rest.

https://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/leviathan_wakes

People who buy get right of first refusal on future novels with same number / letter.

Already sold out.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Ah, sorry. That was quick. Got the email not long before my post and they had both numbered and lettered - $75 and $325, respectively.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    As it turns out, the authors of both The Martian and The Expanse have agreed their books are cannon:

Time to watch for the MCRN Watney to pop up as an easter egg.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I have a feeling we're witnessing the birth of a brand new baby shared universe.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Oh man, she looks like a great choice for Bobbie. Now we just need to see how the power armor turns out.

Artereis on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    As it turns out, the authors of both The Martian and The Expanse have agreed their books are cannon:

Time to watch for the MCRN Watney to pop up as an easter egg.
    YES! Eeeexcellent. :D

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    That excites me on so many levels

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    majanzmajanz Registered User regular
    I had always imagined Bobbie as having slightly wider shoulders, but I'm being too picky. Haven't seen if Ms. Adams can act, she has been in a Kiwi Soap Opera, but ethnically speaking she's dead on!

Possible sexism beyond the jump, but she's also been an underwear model.

• Options
    majanz wrote: »
    I had always imagined Bobbie as having slightly wider shoulders, but I'm being too picky. Haven't seen if Ms. Adams can act, she has been in a Kiwi Soap Opera, but ethnically speaking she's dead on!

Lot of people model underwear. It don't model itself, and ya gotta make a living somehow. I see no sexism in that.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I wish I could find some pictures of her around other folks to get a sense of scale.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    She's just under 6 feet. She is the same ethnicity as the book character and above average height, which was about the best you can expect. The book character has unusual physical characteristics and matching both those and the ethnicity would be impossible without casting a non actress in the role.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    I wish I could find some pictures of her around other folks to get a sense of scale.

There are some from her soap opera days, but I think they downplay her height.l

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    There are plenty of easy forced perspective techniques that can be used to give her a greater sense of size. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    if there's anyone looking for some Expanse merch, this tweet may be of interest.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Of course a spaceship! Why is that even a question?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    You might change your tune depending on how well they nail the power armor.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Well, then spaceships for some, spacemarines for others!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    yeah, there's a reason why 'both' is an option there.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    where is the option for bobbie in her suit winding up to throw the rocinante like a football

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Wraith260 on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I finally picked up Season 1 on DVD. They left in the parts of the episodes that recap the previous bits and there was just 1 special feature, like 2 cut scenes.

Damn, I was really hoping for some cast commentary. Oh well, its still a excellent show upon rewatch, even picked up on a few things I didn't notice the first time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I finally picked up Season 1 on DVD. They left in the parts of the episodes that recap the previous bits and there was just 1 special feature, like 2 cut scenes.

Damn, I was really hoping for some cast commentary. Oh well, its still a excellent show upon rewatch, even picked up on a few things I didn't notice the first time.

Yeah, the early episodes definitely made a LOT more sense after having watched some - I got my friends to add this to our "Chili night" show rotation as we've been itching for some good new sci-fi.

I've also gone out and have been reading the first book now. Interesting some of the stuff which got changed. Aaaaaalmost done with the first book now and it kinda killed me to put it down when I did last night. Probably going to finish tonight.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    majanz wrote: »

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    So that didn't go where I expected. And then went somewhere ELSE I didn't expect.

Season 2 is going to be fucking nuts, huh.

• Options
    So that didn't go where I expected. And then went somewhere ELSE I didn't expect.

You have no idea. By the time they get to Book 5, everyone's going to be losing their shit every episode.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

You have no idea. By the time they get to Book 5, everyone's going to be losing their shit every episode.

Yeah, it is certainly a series in which events occur.

Book spolierly question
    though despite all these events, after the thing that is about to happen in the TV show(which only half counts) do any of the main characters get killed off? I'm thinking no. Kinda ridiculously strong plot armour.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    redx wrote: »
    Book spolierly question
    though despite all these events, after the thing that is about to happen in the TV show(which only half counts) do any of the main characters get killed off? I'm thinking no. Kinda ridiculously strong plot armour.

Book Spoilers up through 5:
    Arguably yes with Miller who dies and the protomolecule program that wears him also dies. Bull is also a main character in his book and he bites it. Of the crew of the Roci, nope. Though they definitely feel like they come close some times.

Of course, there is also one big secondary character who dies and makes me wish their killer the pain of a thousand suns going off in their face...

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Book spolierly question

Arguably yes with Miller who dies and the protomolecule program that wears him also dies. Bull is also a main character in his book and he bites it. Of the crew of the Roci, nope. Though they definitely feel like they come close some times.

Of course, there is also one big secondary character who dies and makes me wish their killer the pain of a thousand suns going off in their face...
    Sam?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Must. Not. Click. Spoilers.

I'm halfway through book 5.

Can't wait for season 2. Hopefully they can squeeze in a fair amount of book 2 in there. Caliban's War is easily my favorite so far and should make for some good TV.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Book spolierly question

Sam?

Of course.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Book spolierly question

Sam?

Of course.

Burn in hell is too good a fate.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I'm way late to the party, but I've been listening to the audiobooks on my commute to/from work, and I've really been enjoying them. I'm currently on book 4 Cibola burn...
    It reaches out

The usual narrator has been wonderful, but the narrator for Cibola and the Gods of Risk (the short story set on Mars) varies between sounding tolerable to sounding like a text-to-speech robot voice. Its not enough for me to stop (too invested now), but its kind of a slog. :(

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
This discussion has been closed.