As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

see317 wrote: »
    I may be remembering wrong, but I was under the impression that at the time of Drive, Mars was more of a wild west kind of place. People did what they wanted and there wasn't really a strong government that was interested in tracking what they did or where they went because if they did something stupid they'd get themselves killed. Which was why Epstein was able to get his own shuttle and start tinkering with the fusion drive as a hobby.
    But that may just be my own head canon from not reading the books recently.

I'm pretty sure that, wild west or not, they still had state of the art flight control. Even if Mars didn't, Earth would.

Prior to the epstein drive there was not much activity out in the belt because it took to long to get there. The drive unlocked the solar system. So if he was doing his tests pointing outbound into the system there is no real reason for anybody mars or earth to care. They likely were tracking him and that is one way they could acquire a lot of data about his break through with his wifes info to unlock the how it was done.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Re: Drive
    So Soloman Epstien just flew off into the dark and was never seen again on his very first successful test run?

Man, his wife really must have been smart (for a liberal arts degree) to figure out everything from one set of plans and no notes on its success...

Drive:
    The fact that he managed to hit 5% of the speed of light with the fuel he had was a pretty good indicator of success.
    Right....but how does she even know of his success? How much did they discuss his hobby? She knew he was out testing. How did she know that he succeeded was out there somewhere? As opposed to having crashed into an asteroid or whatever. How would she have known how to even make sense of his notes left behind to be able to say that it was the next big thing for humanity?

I got the impression that these were the days of Space Travel that nobody gave a shit what was beyond Mars orbit because they were, as yet, unattainable. Who was watching? Who would even have thought to watch? Did file a flight plan? Notify the authorities? As far as I could read, no. He a dude out for Sunday drive and nobody gave a shit.

Remember Miller tracking the Scopuli in season 1? Transponder signatures on civilian craft are public domain; they don't have to be actively looking to know where a ship is; it is all recorded.

Deviations in flight plan or speed throw up immediate flags.

I do remember that....but that is "now". Where colonies and outposts and space ships are all over the place. Rock-Hoppers be hoppin' and all that. At the time of Drive, even getting to Mars was a big honkin' deal. What flight plan? What civilian traffic? There was none to keep an eye on.
    Anyway...I know the romance of a pioneering space flight is the heart of the story. I get it and I liked it. I understand that Epstien had changed history and the ambiguity at the end of the story leaves the reader to fill in the blanks with the wonder of what happened next and the current state of Humanity all over the system. It just seemed like there a significantly big leap for someone to make between "missing hobby engine designer" and "Man's next step"

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    He was a private civilian in a civilian craft around Mars. Mars at that point was built up enough to be self-sufficient, getting to Mars was a big deal but easy enough that wealthy people could do it on a lark. At that point of development you'd have to have a local body managing traffic.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    So Soloman Epstien just flew off into the dark and was never seen again on his very first successful test run?

Man, his wife really must have been smart (for a liberal arts degree) to figure out everything from one set of plans and no notes on its success...

Drive:
    The fact that he managed to hit 5% of the speed of light with the fuel he had was a pretty good indicator of success.
    Right....but how does she even know of his success? How much did they discuss his hobby? She knew he was out testing. How did she know that he succeeded was out there somewhere? As opposed to having crashed into an asteroid or whatever. How would she have known how to even make sense of his notes left behind to be able to say that it was the next big thing for humanity?

I got the impression that these were the days of Space Travel that nobody gave a shit what was beyond Mars orbit because they were, as yet, unattainable. Who was watching? Who would even have thought to watch? Did file a flight plan? Notify the authorities? As far as I could read, no. He a dude out for Sunday drive and nobody gave a shit.

Remember Miller tracking the Scopuli in season 1? Transponder signatures on civilian craft are public domain; they don't have to be actively looking to know where a ship is; it is all recorded.

I do remember that....but that is "now". Where colonies and outposts and space ships are all over the place. Rock-Hoppers be hoppin' and all that. At the time of Drive, even getting to Mars was a big honkin' deal. What flight plan? What civilian traffic? There was none to keep an eye on.
    Anyway...I know the romance of a pioneering space flight is the heart of the story. I get it and I liked it. I understand that Epstien had changed history and the ambiguity at the end of the story leaves the reader to fill in the blanks with the wonder of what happened next and the current state of Humanity all over the system. It just seemed like there a significantly big leap for someone to make between "missing hobby engine designer" and "Man's next step"

Look... if you husband doesn't come back from his test flight, you go looking.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    He was a private civilian in a civilian craft around Mars. Mars at that point was built up enough to be self-sufficient, getting to Mars was a big deal but easy enough that wealthy people could do it on a lark. At that point of development you'd have to have a local body managing traffic.

Yea Mars had a fleet. There would have been traffic control for no other reason to make sure that something wouldn't do a surprise attack against it.

Spoilers for the story
    I would imagine that they talked enough that when he was late she went looking for him, found the shuttle missing, asked traffic control to see if he was out there and they would have traced his flight path and spotted him still burning. The story mentioned something like dozens or hundreds of hours of fuel available.

Then looking at his records, and even if she didn't know how it worked, she can point to his work, point to shuttle that burned FAR too long for its fuel and knows she has something. Anyone else can track that the shuttle is going super fast and corroborate the story.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Kashaar wrote: »

Drive:

Look... if you husband doesn't come back from his test flight, you go looking.

Of course you do...

But I also think it's equally possible to assume, like Basia and his son on Ganymede, that something horrible has happened and perhaps not look hard enough.

• Options
    Heh. Just watched last weeks episode. Epstein was in it!

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Latest Episode Reactions:
    I'm trying really hard to understand why Mars is having their lone survivor lie about her account, after apparently not accepting it.

Really enjoyed the way Belter politics is having these pretty significant struggles unifying.

The way the chase at the end went trying to track down the mad scientist being stolen, enjoyed how cutting their engines and thus emissions was stealth mode at the distances they were at in space.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm trying really hard to understand why Mars is having their lone survivor lie about her account, after apparently not accepting it.

Really enjoyed the way Belter politics is having these pretty significant struggles unifying.

The way the chase at the end went trying to track down the mad scientist being stolen, enjoyed how cutting their engines and thus emissions was stealth mode at the distances they were at in space.

Mars politics:
    they want her to lie because they really, really don't want an all out war, and the most politically viable lie is: We shot first because of panic during an equipment failure, and it got out of hand

it's the best lie to get everyone to chill out and settle away from the brink so that more "accidents" don't happen

The lie:
    Satisfies earth hardliners, they were right
    Satisfies earth moderates because it gives them a way out
    Weakens mars hardliners, puts the "oo rah war" folks on the defensive since an itchy trigger finger got ganymede pasted
    Satisfies the mars moderates because it's exactly what they've been saying would happen

override367 on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Non book reader here but (latest episode)
    Bobby is saying that she saw an unmarked, undetected drone and that six Earth Marines and five(?) Mars Marines are dead because they ran into an alien. Now if things were less tense or there was nothing really on the line maybe you go peddling that story to the hostile foreign power that is convinced you just escalated further towards war, otherwise you tell your grunt to put a pin in it in the hopes of making things right.

The truth doesn't matter to them, at least not in the short term - avoiding a war takes precedence.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Also, I liked the subtle book reader nod.
    Inaros name drop

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Lot of stuff happened this episode that wasn't from the books. Luckily, it's interesting stuff.

I want to like Frankie Adams as Bobbie, but she hasn't sold me yet. It's definitely an improvement, though. She does have more to work with.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    the guy they have playing the OPA leader is really fun though

• Options
    edited March 2017

Yeah, Anderson Dawes is perfect. I love the scar they gave him; it's super authentic.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Bobby is saying that she saw an unmarked, undetected drone and that six Earth Marines and five(?) Mars Marines are dead because they ran into an alien. Now if things were less tense or there was nothing really on the line maybe you go peddling that story to the hostile foreign power that is convinced you just escalated further towards war, otherwise you tell your grunt to put a pin in it in the hopes of making things right.

The truth doesn't matter to them, at least not in the short term - avoiding a war takes precedence.

I also haven't read the books (latest episode)
    But that is the part I don't get, how does "We were both attacked by a third party" not prevent war as well? Wouldn't that bring the focus more towards "We need to work together to find out why another powerful military entity wants us dead..."?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular

But that is the part I don't get, how does "We were both attacked by a third party" not prevent war as well? Wouldn't that bring the focus more towards "We need to work together to find out why another powerful military entity wants us dead..."?

(latest episode speculation, no book spoilers)
    It could be that they're more treating this as a new weapon - or a new potential weapon, which they want to own and exploit without letting the other side know about it.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

non-books TV only watcher
    Literally every side is utterly convinced that the protomolecule is another side's weapon. Or at least has hardliners who'll believe that out of their desire for a war. Think Earth's "let's start bombing Mars" admiral.

Mars at least actually seems to have their head's on straight about so far - at least the high command and captains - they're all about not starting System War 1. "We were attacked by alien space zombies" could be seen as an insult if they tell it to Earth.

Of course...Mars is also neck deep in protomolecule research anyway (given it started on Pheobe station). So it's possible they know exactly what happened and are covering it up.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Lot of stuff happened this episode that wasn't from the books. Luckily, it's interesting stuff.

I want to like Frankie Adams as Bobbie, but she hasn't sold me yet. It's definitely an improvement, though. She does have more to work with.

This episode was a rather significant deviation from the book, and I'm wondering how they are going to tie everything back together again.

And Bobbie isn't as imposing as she's in the book, but the actress is doing a pretty good job. It will be interesting to see how she does the peace summit scenes.

Lots of Book 2 spoilers:
    In the book at this time everyone knew that the protomolecule was doing "something" to Venus. Anyone with a telescope could look at it and see that something was going on. It didn't "burn up" like Holden said in the show. In the book scientists are in orbit of Venus, and see some sort of "pulse" that corresponds to the UN/Martian Marines getting killed. Crisjen sees that same pulse later in the book, and realizes that Venus is "talking" to the protomonsters. It seemed pretty important in the book, but the show has gone a different route. So maybe they'll have that revelation in a different way? Or maybe it's not important?

Also in the book, Holden just gives the protomolecule sample to Fred. That sample becomes rather important later. I'm assuming that since Dawes kidnapped the scientist guy that Naomi is going to give the sample to Fred in the next episode. The show has lost some in-fighting between Holden and Fred because of the lack of the year time jump, no more "I quit!" speech from Holden after Ganymeade, as obviously Fred doesn't have the sample yet.

And I'm going to guess that the Martians have Bobbie's suit camera footage, they're just not showing it to her. They at least have the Drone footage. Bobbie needs to see that footage, in order for her later fight to make any sense.
    I wonder if we're even going to hear about a certain Martian Admiral at all...

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

When trying to defend your actions to someone you have been in a cold war with for decades,
    6824767fa974849c8b60dfeed3b5f0efa9077b35c3eec2fbdd19283171634e5b.jpg

probably isn't an explanation which will go over well when you have no proof to back it up.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Latest episode spoilers (no books)
    My suspicion is that Mars leaders are indeed looking to exploit the protomolecule and that whatever that beasty was is part of that effort. Thus they definitely don't want to let earth in on how far they've taken the research.

That's also led me to wonder about where they're taking that scientist dude. He said he's somehow figured out that there's more of it out there. Now is that the tiny amount in the missile that Naomi stashed away, some other crazy science project spot mars has got going on, or even something we haven't thought of yet.

Campy on
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Seal wrote: »

Yea Mars had a fleet. There would have been traffic control for no other reason to make sure that something wouldn't do a surprise attack against it.

Spoilers for the story
    I would imagine that they talked enough that when he was late she went looking for him, found the shuttle missing, asked traffic control to see if he was out there and they would have traced his flight path and spotted him still burning. The story mentioned something like dozens or hundreds of hours of fuel available.

Then looking at his records, and even if she didn't know how it worked, she can point to his work, point to shuttle that burned FAR too long for its fuel and knows she has something. Anyone else can track that the shuttle is going super fast and corroborate the story.

Really even without any other data knowing for a fact something CAN be done is half the problem to accomplishing it. Having firm visible proof that a shuttle is going far faster for far longer than any fuel supply it could normally carry would account for would drive a massive effort to replicate what happened even without anything else to go on.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

Yeah, Anderson Dawes is perfect. I love the scar they gave him; it's super authentic.

That scar; what is it supposed to be? I have seen all the neck tattoos on the Belters in various varieties and assumed it was some sort of nod to a suit collar, but Dawes has a scar in that shape. Did I miss a part in the show or the books where it talks about that?

Edit: Ahh, something about how the early vac suits used to cause scars like that, and everyone else has a tattoo of it as an homage/solidarity thing. That's pretty cool.

Rius on
  • Options
    Also that he chose to wear a shirt with a neckline low enough to show the scar, at that particular meeting, where it mattered if you were born on Earth or in the Belt, was great visual storytelling.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, and in pretty much every other part of the episode, including when he's walking around the Tycho public areas, he's wearing a high collared jacket.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Still watching the episode, but Jarred Harris as the actor for Dawes is perfect.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Aegis wrote: »
    Still watching the episode, but Jarred Harris as the actor for Dawes is perfect.

I haven't seen him in much, but he's been nothing but excellent where I've seen him.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »

I haven't seen him in much, but he's been nothing but excellent where I've seen him.
    Yeah he was fantastic in Mad Men and pretty much went pound for pound with Robert Downey jr. in the second Sherlock Holmes movie. Glad he's on the show.

So regarding Bobbie. I never quite took to her in the book as others did but after watching how the show handles her I realize now that she was pretty well written and the show is not doing her any favors. I don't know if the actress playing her can't do subtle so they wrote the scenes differently but almost every seen she is in comes off as really melodramatic. In the book she had a kind of swaggering confidence that is completely absent in the show. They make her almost manic and unhinged. I really hope this is just the show trying to punch things up and will settle her down some later.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Wasn't there a lot of inner dialogue for Bobbie, which you can't really do well in TV? or am I thinking of something else.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Wasn't there a lot of inner dialogue for Bobbie, which you can't really do well in TV? or am I thinking of something else.

Don't remember much. I do remember a whole lot of suppression and denial about her feelings which is almost impossible to do well in TV as a member of a big cast.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It must have been pretty simple, the casting interviews for the Martian marines.

"Alright, let's see your best bloodthirsty psychotic terminally unlikable asshole"

And they made some perfect casting choices.

I wish these people weren't in the show, nothing about them is at all enjoyable.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Yeah, this was a less interesting episode. I don't really care about the martians. They're not interesting.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Yeah, this was a less interesting episode. I don't really care about the martians. They're not interesting.

Not unless they're Pakistani with a Texan accent!

• Options
    I find the Martians very interesting, but I have context from the books.

They remind me a bit of early modern Israel, with a very stalwart and unshakable will, but they are also willing to compromise for the sake of long-term benefit.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Decomposey wrote: »

When trying to defend your actions to someone you have been in a cold war with for decades,

probably isn't an explanation which will go over well when you have no proof to back it up.

Latest Episode:
    But who said jack about aliens though? "They didn't have a suit..." could just as easily be interpreted as "This is a suit unlike any I have seen before". The point also being though, that in military conflicts, the notion that combat can be more complicated than 1v1 and be 1v1v1 or even 1v1v1v1 and beyond should not be so far fetched as to conclude "Aliens". Hell, want to make it something we find way too believable these days, just call the combatant the Earthers and Martians were getting decimated by a Terrorist and go looking for like the OPA to blame or someone.

It only we the viewer and _maybe_ the crew of the Rocci that would have a clue that is possibly proto-molecule mad scientist research at play.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Latest Episode:
    But who said jack about aliens though? "They didn't have a suit..." could just as easily be interpreted as "This is a suit unlike any I have seen before". The point also being though, that in military conflicts, the notion that combat can be more complicated than 1v1 and be 1v1v1 or even 1v1v1v1 and beyond should not be so far fetched as to conclude "Aliens". Hell, want to make it something we find way too believable these days, just call the combatant the Earthers and Martians were getting decimated by a Terrorist and go looking for like the OPA to blame or someone.

It only we the viewer and _maybe_ the crew of the Rocci that would have a clue that is possibly proto-molecule mad scientist research at play.
    Still, there is no proof. No proof of a third party, suitless or otherwise. All they have is the word of one witness, and witnesses can lie. If that witness says "Yeah, our bad, we totally fucked this up and are super sorry." then they might be believed. If they say 'It was not me! It was the one armed man!" then it is likely to be taken as a denial and a lie.

People will believe what they want to hear, so they are telling them what they want to hear in order to diffuse a war.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    It must have been pretty simple, the casting interviews for the Martian marines.

"Alright, let's see your best bloodthirsty psychotic terminally unlikable asshole"

And they made some perfect casting choices.

I wish these people weren't in the show, nothing about them is at all enjoyable.

I thought the latest episode painted Bobbie a much more sympathetic character.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Latest Episode:

Still, there is no proof. No proof of a third party, suitless or otherwise. All they have is the word of one witness, and witnesses can lie. If that witness says "Yeah, our bad, we totally fucked this up and are super sorry." then they might be believed. If they say 'It was not me! It was the one armed man!" then it is likely to be taken as a denial and a lie.

People will believe what they want to hear, so they are telling them what they want to hear in order to diffuse a war.

I may have missed something as I stepped away a few times, but
    is there a reason their fancy suits don't have some sort of recording capability? I just assumed they did was expecting them to mention that her testimony doesn't match the evidence, but that never happened.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I think the proto molocule creatures EMP that was jamming them screwed up the recordings from what I recall.

kaid on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    I may have missed something as I stepped away a few times, but
    is there a reason their fancy suits don't have some sort of recording capability? I just assumed they did was expecting them to mention that her testimony doesn't match the evidence, but that never happened.

Latest episode stuff:
    They mentioned something about the other squad member's suits being "lost" under the wreckage. So maybe they couldn't get to them? Or they were damaged beyond repair? As for Bobbie's suit, it was pretty trashed. And there was some sort of jamming of the comm channels, maybe that interfered with the recording/streaming video? The drone they saw might be the only source of video. I'm actually wondering if the Chaplain was watching that video while Bobbie was being interrogated. He was watching something while listening.

Book 2 spoiler, and next episode promo spoiler:
    When Bobbie and her squad were out walking, they saw someone waving at them from the Ag Dome. The promo shows us that it's Prax's daughter, Mei. That's a little goofy, but it connects the stories I guess.
    The promo also shows Dr. Strickland, but no "mother", so I'm guessing their skipping that part. That's probably OK. And based on seeing the Roci crew with Prax, they're shortening Prax's stuff and going straight to the fight in the tunnels.

This discussion has been closed.