As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    You know, I'm not as sure all of a sudden, I may go back and reread the first book.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    There are numerous scenes where thruster only maneuvers create potential for lethally flying objects as well as danger to crew members. Specifically, the scene where
    amos is trying to fix the ... I can't remember what it is, but he gets thrown around pretty good inside the walls.

VishNub on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    This reminds me of great line from the beginning of the 3rd book.
    they're all flush with cash and Amos buys some aftermarket engine upgrades.
    Holden:"why? The Roci can already produce enough thrust to kill us. "
    Amos:"because this shits super badass. "

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    There are numerous scenes where thruster only maneuvers create potential for lethally flying objects as well as danger to crew members. Specifically, the scene where
    amos is trying to fix the ... I can't remember what it is, but he gets thrown around pretty good inside the walls.

Right but all you need for those is straps. Which you'd want for zero g anyway. A gimblled couch would be most helpful if multi-g thrust could come from any angle, rather than half or 1 g or less from RCS

Though if the roci went into a flat spin the spin gs would probably suck

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH ASHFORD

They did such a better job with him in the show than in the books.

I would agree everybody involved had pretty logical reasons for how they ended up in the situation they ended in. His lack of trust over holden made sense because a lot of what holden is would sound pretty fucking crazy to anybody.

• Options
    I guess I'm not sure the mechanics of accelerating, rotating 90degrees, and then accelerating again. Are you still only experiencing g's parallel to the thrust?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    If you're traveling at high speed in space and you change orientation, it's not like all your forward momentum is magically shifted to the new direction of travel. Making abrupt direction changes in space at high speed essentially means you're powersliding until your main engine's output has been running for a while on the new orientation. Until then, thrust gravity isn't straight down, it's down and to the sides. Hence gimballed couches with straps.

Rius on
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    I guess I'm not sure the mechanics of accelerating, rotating 90degrees, and then accelerating again. Are you still only experiencing g's parallel to the thrust?

It goes like this:

Accelerate: g force is straight down
    Turn: a hard turn will generate centrifugal force toward the outside of the turn.
    Accelerate: straight down

So the main thruster will ever only push you to the floor. It's the RCS that makes things fly around. Same with lateral translation rather than turns, except the force there is nicer in that it's aimed at the wall or ceiling rather than the weirdness a hard spin will do.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

It goes like this:

Turn: a hard turn will generate centrifugal force toward the outside of the turn.

So the main thruster will ever only push you to the floor. It's the RCS that makes things fly around. Same with lateral translation rather than turns, except the force there is nicer in that it's aimed at the wall or ceiling rather than the weirdness a hard spin will do.

This is not true though. Accelerate in a straight line at 1g for an hour, then cut the main engine (or don't) and turn 90 degrees, then accelerate at 1g again. It's going to take time for you to be truly going "straight" on the new vector because you're still carrying a ton of speed on your old vector. Until you are, thrust gravity won't be purely downwards.

• Options
    I really just need to get around to watching the show, but apparently in one of the episodes they do show the seats tilting way back to put people more perpendicular to the thrust.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Rius wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

It goes like this:

This is not true though. Accelerate in a straight line at 1g for an hour, then cut the main engine (or don't) and turn 90 degrees, then accelerate at 1g again. It's going to take time for you to be truly going "straight" on the new vector because you're still carrying a ton of speed on your old vector. Until you are, thrust gravity won't be purely downwards.

whut, no. speed you carrying doesn't matter because it is not an acceleration.

there is also no point in time where you will be going "straight" you will always have that initial velocity from the first but, until you burn the opposite way.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Right, but even if you are accelerating perpendicular to your previous course, wouldn't you initially experience acceleration on a diagonal between the two vectors?

• Options
    Yeah I'm thinking about this more and I think I'm wrong? It's hard to think of in the proper terms because my earthbound preconceptions are messing with me. But without acceleration you're on the float regardless of which direction the ship is pointed. With acceleration on a new vector, you're just getting pushed down, regardless of which way in space the ship is arcing?

There are instances in the books of crash couches tilting to match sideways thrust, but now that I think about it can't remember any that aren't in the middle of combat requiring sudden vector changes.

• Options
    Right, but even if you are accelerating perpendicular to your previous course, wouldn't you initially experience acceleration on a diagonal between the two vectors?

Nope. The instant you cut thrust you are zero g.

G force in spacecraft that aren't landed or spinning is acceleration, not speed.

• Options
    Think about it this way: right now you, personally, are spinning at thousands of miles an hour, and orbiting the Sun at hundreds of thousands of miles an hour. Do you feel it? No. Because it isn't changing.

It's the same with spacecraft.

• Options
    “Gravity” is a force
    F = ma

There’s no velocity component

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I am rereading the books and I just finished the fifth, and I paged back a bit to where Alex talks about this to Holden. It's ahead of the show so I'll speak in general terms. There's a ship that was burning on a constant vector, but spin was introduced when one of the maneuvering thrusters was fired for several seconds and never corrected for. So now instead of going on a constant vector in direction X, the ship is now on that same line but circling, constantly turning in one direction, "chasing it's own tail."

The concern is that someone inside the ship might be pressed up against the walls. Alex says;

"Yeah, thruster misfires don't work like that. You don't get any sideways impulse unless the thruster's actually going. After that, you've got a little spin station action pushing the folks behind the center of spin down and the folks forward of it up, but all that is gonna be in line with the thrust from the drive, so all you actually get is [implied slightly higher or lower thrust gravity depending on what part of the ship you're in]".

Edit: so yeah I was wrong; I blame my feeble brain and it's terrestrial experiences

Rius on
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess I was assuming that the ships/occupants would undergo centripetal force at the beginning of aggressive maneuvering.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    It is changing because we're rotating around the Earths axis, but it's so slight it's well below the threshold of being noticeable.

• Options
    Your main force in a ship like that is always going to be "down" towards the main engines. The only real issue is if your manuvering jets are kicking off when you are accelerating and those would slam you around a bit but they are puny amounts of force compared to the main thrusters. You would still want to make sure you are strapped in and in your acceleration couch but in space the only "gravity" you are experiencing is acceleration the second your engines are turned off it is back to zero G.

• Options
    Although, actually, if you were at center mass you would experience very little rotational force during spins.

• Options
    They do feel sideways g's when maneuvering thrusters are on, it's just the show is not great at showing that. The chairs on the flight deck of the Roci are rigid and they only recline forwards and backwards like a lay-z-boy. Hell, we're shown early in the series that the captain of the Donnager is just standing there chilling on the flight deck.

The scene where Amos is repairing a thruster from between the hulls is pretty good for showing how you can get knocked around under maneuvering thrust.

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Also.
    the moment of Amos asking Pastor Ana why she does what she does is a crash course in acting over thirty seconds. This scene establishes why Amos follows other people almost instantaneously.

The actor they got for Amos is so good

Yeah. In my imaginary recasting of Logan/Wolverine for a new movie he is my top choice.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Rius wrote: »
    They do feel sideways g's when maneuvering thrusters are on, it's just the show is not great at showing that. The chairs on the flight deck of the Roci are rigid and they only recline forwards and backwards like a lay-z-boy. Hell, we're shown early in the series that the captain of the Donnager is just standing there chilling on the flight deck.

The scene where Amos is repairing a thruster from between the hulls is pretty good for showing how you can get knocked around under maneuvering thrust.

I imagine the bridge on the Donager pretty close to center mass, and she likely turns slow. So just standing there is fine.

Doing so in combat while unsuited is stupid.

Or arrogance.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Probably a healthy dash of arrogance, given how bumflustered everyone was that anyone would dare (or even manage) to get close enough for CQB against them. I think we're generally shown on the show that the Martian military is super confident.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    You also have to take into account of mass in the force equation. A few hundred ton of steel accelerating into your puny flesh is going to turn you into pulp.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    You also have to take into account of mass in the force equation. A few hundred ton of steel accelerating into your puny flesh is going to turn you into pulp.

ehh... there's only so far to fall.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Artereis wrote: »
    There are definitely magboot sound effects in the ships when the ships aren't under thrust.

Oh! Yes, definitely. I worded that poorly. I meant if we stipulate this to be true, those poor actors and sound folks won't need to suffer through convincing us everyone is in low g and wearing mag boots. I'm worried about the ankles of the former and the sanity of the latter! =)

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Although, actually, if you were at center mass you would experience very little rotational force during spins.

That actually bugged me during S2E02
    with the coffee cup. It should have hit the wall and then slid up until it got stuck to the ceiling, not rotated in place.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

That actually bugged me during S2E02
    with the coffee cup. It should have hit the wall and then slid up until it got stuck to the ceiling, not rotated in place.
    If we're going to nitpick, it should actually be in a plastic disposable bulb with a magnet at the bottom and not a coffee cup.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    How the show would do the ubiquitous 'bulb's from the books was probably the thing I was most curious going into it. Kinda bummed they basically didn't. I guess it'd be hard to make everyone look badass while they drink out of sippy-cups.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I always figured the drink bulbs from the book were pouch drinks like a Capri Sun or those japanese drink pouches with the built-in plastic straw, but with a more spherical body.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Season 4 Concept Art! (Some mild Book 4 spoils)
    WEEz8eh.jpg

Landing on drive cone eh? Literally unwatchable. Tho I did always wonder how it was supposed to land on its belly with a railgun mounted there...

Also, was kinda hoping for a new paintjob! I guess at some point the Beratnas Gas thing became permanent, but that was a disguise, which Alex ditched with some great fanfare at the end of season 1. I want em to get their own custom colours on there!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

"Scientists have created edible water."

So they created water?

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Season 4 Concept Art! (Some mild Book 4 spoils)
    WEEz8eh.jpg

Landing on drive cone eh? Literally unwatchable. Tho I did always wonder how it was supposed to land on its belly with a railgun mounted there...

Also, was kinda hoping for a new paintjob! I guess at some point the Beratnas Gas thing became permanent, but that was a disguise, which Alex ditched with some great fanfare at the end of season 1. I want em to get their own custom colours on there!

Book 4
    I guess it’s easier than making a sideways set for when they’re landed, but the ship already has some concessions for that (the sideways ladders in the bridge, etc). Also, how are they getting on/off the ship? The cargo airlock is pretty far up.

Plus, landing with the Epstein drive is going to put them in a lake of lava.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

"Scientists have created edible water."

So they created water?

Where you even paying attention?! Edible water is a major breakthrough! Did you know in its basic form water is the most dangerous substance on Earth?
    It’s colorless, odorless, and deadly if inhaled.
    It’s a byproduct of rocket fuel, and can cause severe burns in its gaseous form.
    Its highly corrosive.
    There is a 100% death rate associated with those who have casually consumed water during their lifetime.

Next time check the facts before you post.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Finally finished season THREE
    HAHA GET FUCKED DIAGO.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

It's like the most disappointing xialong bao imaginable

• Options

Yes if there is stuff not battened down manuvering thrusters are very much strong enough to make them deadly hazards during combat manuvers. Still the main bulk of your "gravity" is going to be from the main thrusters.

This discussion has been closed.