As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] Ours is the Light that illuminates the Dark Below! Hard Mode Crota's End awaits!

• Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'd be pretty psyched about say, a Vanquisher VIII with good perks

Aside from that, I can't really think of any legendaries I'd get particularly excited about

Yeah tell me about it. I got one last night from the nightfall. I was super excited since I am currently leveling up my New Monarchy rep with my Titan for the sole purpose of buying that auto-rifle (only high impact auto-rifle that can reach 331 damage that I have seen). Infortunately, the perks on it are not as good as the one on the new monarchy vendor. I'm thorn if I should case about leveling it or not and just grind the rep and crucible marks and buy one instead.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    SqueezeSqueeze Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    So I have six Gjallarhorn now. One day I will be able to fill my entire vault with Gjallarhorn.
    Well, as soon as they release the Fallen playable class, you can quadruple-wield, and then you will be wishing that you had loads of Gjallarhorns ;-)

Someone else recently mentioned dual wielding it. I think it needs to be a thing. Even if only a promo or a grimoire.

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Do we know if new players get the gift? My friend rolled up his first character yesterday and it would be awesome if he got a free legendary to give him incentive to level up fast.

Anyone know this? Bueller?

If not, no worries. Back to an old topic, OP Regime is OP.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Oh, just got the benevolent benefactor present on my Hunter. A mote of light.

Uh... thanks?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Couple questions, as someone just venturing beyond level 20. Im gathering blues with light and got a legendary chest drop from a daily heroic. It only goes up to 27 light, orhers I have seen go up to 33 (in fact I also got legendary hunter chest that DOES have 33 light)

Is my 27 light chest worth upgrading the defense in? Or is it just a really bad legendary that it is unwise to spend time levelling? Can it get to 33 light at any point?

I was a little disappointed there is no matchmaking for the weekly heroic.I am level 24 which is apparently ok? Or at that level would I be a drag on the team? And how do you line up groups for these things?

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I have to level my hunter. He's a whooping 10 3/4.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    On the bright side, I scored (my seventh) Badger CCL from a legendary engram and this one actually has decent perks, finally!

Outlaw (precision kills speed up reload)
    High Caliber Rounds/Explosive Rounds/Armor Piercing Rounds
    Firefly (precision kills cause target to explode)

So, uh, it's basically Fatebringer. But a Scout Rifle. I am okay with this.

minor incident on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Vorpal wrote: »
    Couple questions, as someone just venturing beyond level 20. Im gathering blues with light and got a legendary chest drop from a daily heroic. It only goes up to 27 light, orhers I have seen go up to 33 (in fact I also got legendary hunter chest that DOES have 33 light)

Is my 27 light chest worth upgrading the defense in? Or is it just a really bad legendary that it is unwise to spend time levelling? Can it get to 33 light at any point?

I was a little disappointed there is no matchmaking for the weekly heroic.I am level 24 which is apparently ok? Or at that level would I be a drag on the team? And how do you line up groups for these things?

Weird... I thought that all new legendary armor was 33 light now?

as for the weekly, you can ask here, or on destinyLFG but finding groups in Destiny for almost anything that's not a playlist is DiY.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options

Do you Crucible often? If you do, and the 27 light chest has desirable stats for your build, keep it. If you don't care about your stat distribution or don't PVP a lot, you can safely shard it and use it to upgrade the 33 light instead.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Team Motorboat Kitten: @erevar @jefe414 @skippymchaggis @arteen @‌metalise @morgan_coke‌ are we interested in doing Crota tomorrow night?

I am always interested in raiding every night. =P

Edit: this is 2 posts in a row where Geth has chimed in. Should I be concerned? O_o

Erevar on
    KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    CelianCelian Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

The Light upgrades itself alongside the armor on it. So a fully upgraded legendary armor will go all the way to 33 light. A raid legendary will be upgradable higher than this, as raid armor allows you to reach level 32 with Light. Whereas world drops / vendor bought will allow you to reach level 31. So yes, if you plan on entering raids at some point, you will need 3 fully upgraded legendary and 1 fully upgraded exotic to be level 31 and be able to maximize your contribution to your raid.

It's not 100% mandatory, but you can reach level 31 without raiding.

Celian on
    PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Outside of the bounties, what's a good way to work on Crota's bane rep? I got a Husk of the Hive and apparently I need level 3 rep to buy the item to upgrade it.

EDIT: Also i'm 26 now so I guess VoG is now an option? I'll probably be skiing tonight, but if anyone PS4 is on late tonight and wants to drag me along in any non-matchmaking stuff (dailies or whatever?) hit me up.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

As someone in a similar position (relatively new to the game and just recently on the post-level 20 stuff), I'm guessing that in less you have something better at the moment, you might as well be leveling up to the last tier of upgrades that use Ascendant crap.
    I was a little disappointed there is no matchmaking for the weekly heroic. I am level 24 which is apparently ok? Or at that level would I be a drag on the team? And how do you line up groups for these things?

I accidentally attempted it solo, not realizing matchmaking was off. And at Lvl. 25 with a fully upgraded Lvl. 20 Rare Handcannon I was able to do reasonably well, but ultimately I felt considerably outmatched.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Erevar wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Team Motorboat Kitten: @erevar @jefe414 @skippymchaggis @arteen @‌metalise @morgan_coke‌ are we interested in doing Crota tomorrow night?

I am always interested in raiding every night. =P

Edit: this is 2 posts in a row where Geth has chimed in. Should I be concerned? O_o

Bringing Geth to the party as well I see.

jefe414 on
  • Options

as for the weekly, you can ask here, or on destinyLFG but finding groups in Destiny for almost anything that's not a playlist is DiY.

Yeah I had thought it was all 33 now, I literally got the 27 light legendary for my warlock and the 33 light legendary hunter chest piece the same night. A little sad the 27 seems to be gimped, it is my only piece of legendary gear.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Outside of the bounties, what's a good way to work on Crota's bane rep? I got a Husk of the Hive and apparently I need level 3 rep to buy the item to upgrade it.

Here is the list outside of bounties:

End list.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Celian wrote: »
    I think I figured out what I dislike about the Nightfall. That kick back out to orbit is basically an incentive to cheese the ever living crap out of the encounter. Maybe if they made Nightfalls be more like a raid for 3 players. You know, something where you can wipe on the boss and come up with a slicker strategy than hiding behind boxes. The threat of losing the last 30 minutes of playtime is so great that people will go to any length to cheese the encounters.

Nightfall is basically the Iron Skull in Halo, only with the additional wasted time of loading the orbit screen, picking the stage, and loading the stage again. :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options

Yeah I had thought it was all 33 now, I literally got the 27 light legendary for my warlock and the 33 light legendary hunter chest piece the same night. A little sad the 27 seems to be gimped, it is my only piece of legendary gear.

Pretty sure you're confusing some things, cause un-upgraded Crota raid armor, which is the highest level of reachable light for a legendary item, starts at 30.

PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    edited January 2015

There is no outside of the bounties. Once you do Eris' story missions, her daily bounties are the only way to improve your rep with her.

Edit: beat'd

minor incident on
  • Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Squeeze wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    So I have six Gjallarhorn now. One day I will be able to fill my entire vault with Gjallarhorn.
    Well, as soon as they release the Fallen playable class, you can quadruple-wield, and then you will be wishing that you had loads of Gjallarhorns ;-)

Someone else recently mentioned dual wielding it. I think it needs to be a thing. Even if only a promo or a grimoire.

That would be the greatest Valentine's day present ever. Consumables that make you look like a fallen and quad-weild weapons.

Lets get ready to RUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!

Trojan35 on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

There is no outside of the bounties. Once you do Eris' story missions, her daily bounties are the only way to improve your rep with her.

Edit: beat'd

Well that makes the item far less exciting!

I suppose I can get it in a few weeks then. :rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    I think I figured out what I dislike about the Nightfall. That kick back out to orbit is basically an incentive to cheese the ever living crap out of the encounter. Maybe if they made Nightfalls be more like a raid for 3 players. You know, something where you can wipe on the boss and come up with a slicker strategy than hiding behind boxes. The threat of losing the last 30 minutes of playtime is so great that people will go to any length to cheese the encounters.

Nightfall is basically the Iron Skull in Halo, only with the additional wasted time of loading the orbit screen, picking the stage, and loading the stage again. :P

Ah ha... that wasn't actually meant to be posted. It was a draft I never managed to hash out my thoughts properly and didn't notice when I tried to be helpful :redface:

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I got a void PLUG ONE.1 from the Vanguard some time ago. Then I got a solar one from the vanguard. Yesterday, I got an arc PLUG ONE.1 from the nightfall. My mysterious benefactor gift?

Solar PLUG ONE.1.

I get it, game. I already use fusion rifles all the time, I will continue to spread the good word. And like LIGHT/Beware on the previous curve, I shall be the PLUG prophet.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

Pretty sure you're confusing some things, cause un-upgraded Crota raid armor, which is the highest level of reachable light for a legendary item, starts at 30.

I am talking about the max it shows. Like, 18 out of 27 light, or whatever it was.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I am talking about the max it shows. Like, 18 out of 27 light, or whatever it was.

I was under the impression that pre-DLC legendary armor wasn't available anymore, outside of the VoG raid pieces that are level 30. Maybe you are so lucky you pulled an item outside of the regular drop tables! Ah...

• Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    http://kotaku.com/destiny-review-update-four-months-later-1678011068

Kotaku has a re-review of Destiny up. It's a really good read, highly recommend.

I think the most telling point in it is when the author talks about how Bungie seems more obsessed with fixing "cheeses" than actual bugs, and that nothing makes him want to cheese more than having a flawless raid boss run destroyed by bugs. Many other good points.

But it also hits on something that's pretty close to where I am with the game. I, like many, many, many others, bought the season pass a long time ago. I'm in through House of Wolves no matter what, but if it trashes all my gear again... I'm out. Three month upgrade cycles with numerous and transparently artificial roadblocks just are not something I'm interested in playing for a long time.

An FPS or 3rd person MMO/shared world game isn't, or at least shouldn't be, that exceptionally difficult, someone else is going to do it soon. Bungie has the pioneer/first mover advantage right now, but that only lasts so long. And they're burning up all the good will Halo generated at an awfully quick pace.

(on a side note, if there is another year-long delay in XboxOne content, that would also be a deal breaker for me. A couple months, sure. A YEAR? No. Just no way. Wouldn't have bought the game in the first place if I'd known about it ahead of time.)

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Cryptarch gave my old light rating from a randomly dropped legendary engram here a couple weeks ago. But he is a bit of a dick to me.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I agree with everything except the idea that Bungie shouldn't try to address raid cheeses.

Destiny is a fun game to play. The templar fight is a fun fight. Up until the grenade cheese fix I hadn't actually done the fight since probably my second run through.

And you can tell me i don't have to cheese but come on , we all know that's bullshit. It's hard enough to find a raid group, let alone one that will agree to not cheese LET ALONE one that will stick to that agreement after 5 wipes.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    I think I'm going to clean out my bank today, need to dismantle a bunch of stuff I will never use and can potentially replace. So many guns that I haven't touched in weeks if not months.

• Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Kotaku has a re-review of Destiny up. It's a really good read, highly recommend.

I think the most telling point in it is when the author talks about how Bungie seems more obsessed with fixing "cheeses" than actual bugs, and that nothing makes him want to cheese more than having a flawless raid boss run destroyed by bugs. Many other good points.

But it also hits on something that's pretty close to where I am with the game. I, like many, many, many others, bought the season pass a long time ago. I'm in through House of Wolves no matter what, but if it trashes all my gear again... I'm out. Three month upgrade cycles with numerous and transparently artificial roadblocks just are not something I'm interested in playing for a long time.

An FPS or 3rd person MMO/shared world game isn't, or at least shouldn't be, that exceptionally difficult, someone else is going to do it soon. Bungie has the pioneer/first mover advantage right now, but that only lasts so long. And they're burning up all the good will Halo generated at an awfully quick pace.

(on a side note, if there is another year-long delay in XboxOne content, that would also be a deal breaker for me. A couple months, sure. A YEAR? No. Just no way. Wouldn't have bought the game in the first place if I'd known about it ahead of time.)

Pretty much my thoughts. I don't think I'm down for re-leveling all the gear. They might be better served to allow everyone to upgrade light levels of armor through vendor upgrades to whatever the new cap is, but then give the raid gear much better other stats. If someone really wants to re-level all their gear for an extra 10 damage and 10 strength, that's cool.

Ultimately, I think this all goes back to the broken mechanic of +light making all other stats nearly worthless in PvE, and the requirement of leveling weapons up to make them useful. It's just a frustrating system if you're releasing +67% better gear every few months (which is what LL30 damage vs LL32 damage is IMO).

Trojan35 on
  • Options
    I agree with the gear leveling comments 100%. I can live with once and not gripe but twice means their entire model is one I have no interest in participating in. I'm hoping they continue learning through fan feedback. I liked the quests like the urn as well as the creative weapon upgrading murmur and husk of the pit provided. I'd like to see exotic Bounties go more in this direction.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It would be cool to trade in a fully upgraded Exotic and a handful of Exotic Shards to just upgrade the gun completely, no leveling. I don't see them continuing to nerf people's guns and armor as the game goes on. That said, the Comet update looks like it'll add a lot and if they don't fix people's issues with loot/leveling I am sure lots of people will lose interest.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, the Dark Below not only trivializing all of the work/time I spent getting to 30 but also requiring me to do it all over again really rubbed me the wrong way. I'll probably still play as long as my friend are but I don't know if I will play past the season pass.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    This game is basically "Try to find a fucking raid" for each of my characters for me right now and its not going well, but a goddamn matchmaking system would help, especially one with age being a thing to select.

If I wanted it to be this cumbersome to find groups on the fly, I'd go back to WoW, oh wait, they fixed it ages ago.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Any ps4 peeps need the weekly heroic?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The thing that annoys me are my huge stacks of ascendant mats that are useless for exotic and raid armor now...

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    The thing that annoys me are my huge stacks of ascendant mats that are useless for exotic and raid armor now...

Still useful for non-raid Legendary Armor though. I'm finding that getting my alts up to 30/31 is causing me to be hungry for Ascended Shards. I realize I'll reach the point where it won't matter soon enough, but for now, I'm going through them like they were going out of style.

Should probably run through VoG sometime this week in that case. I had to remind myself that Dailies gave Ascended Materials a few days ago.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular

My feeling exactly. They have to be more clever. Obviously Destiny lack of content is forcing them into finding mechanics to slow people down. Unfortunately, I think they are taking the lazy way out. upgrading exotics to a new damage tier should only be a matter of adding 2 upgrade bubble and us continuing the upgrade process instead of reseting everything. Oh and adding these 2 bubble but requiring 20 hours worth of grind to upgrade them is not my idea of a good solution either. There has to be work involved yes, but it has to be reasonable.

I don't think the author is saying Bungie should not fix the Cheese, but I think he says that Bungie only seems to concentrate on these instead of fixing actual bugs. I'm sure their team can do both. It's incredible that some of these launch bugs are still there (The heavy ammo one is the worst and is unexcusable).

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    @sirialis i need a raid and haven't found one yet.

Any other orphans want to try and schedule an orphan raid?

@DouglasDanger‌
    @Maddoc‌ (i don't think you are an orphan but you might be)

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    If they were to put in a conversion of some amount of Ascendant mats will turn into Radiant mats would be a big help. The last few MMO's I played did that and it was a nice way to not make all the time you spent earning those tokens/mats/etc not a total waste and still be useful as a head start on the new stuff.

They could make it 20+ Ascendant to 1 Radiant so they still limit how fast you can get to 32.

Hopefully I'm not wrong and didn't read things too fast, but I'd like to know why Crota armor needs 7 Radiant per upgrade but guns only need 6. It wasn't that way with the VoG stuff was it?

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika