As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    !sign up

I'd again like to volunteer my expert piloting skills in either the Interceptor or Skyranger craft. I have very good references from past projects.

I feel that we will need a lot of pilots once larger UFOs start to appear. Interceptors are going to be raining from the sky.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    !sign up
    Please don't let a Chryssalid eat me.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    You do realize that by saying this you've pretty much sealed your fate, yes?

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    such cowards in the recruits. You gotta smile at death when he comes for you

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    such cowards in the recruits. You gotta smile at death when he comes for you
    It's a lot easier to smile at Death when you've got a plasma rifle in one hand, and a primed grenade in the other.
    Also, when Death isn't planning on impregnating you with a miniature version of itself that will turn you into a zombie, then eventually eat it's way out of your chest.

edited January 2015
    I'm sorry I can't hear you over your knees shaking.
    I wish there was a variant to the thermo knife in TFTD.
    (its probably just the prod, but id like an actual knife)

Be that badass sarge that killed a 'lid with a knife.
    If my tenure in this lets play can be described as 'supernova' I'd be happy with the death I give for earth.

I'm a mec trooper in the firaxis lets play, but I'm thinking the thread author is tired of the game for the moment.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    I'm a mec trooper in the firaxis lets play, but I'm thinking the thread author is tired of the game for the moment.
    Last I saw he was banned, actually, so unless it's a temp I wouldn't count on him picking it back up.

Didn't know about that. Bummer.
    Maybe if my invasion board game Peters out, I'll just do long war like beagle...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I'm sorry I can't hear you over your knees shaking.
    I wish there was a variant to the thermo knife in TFTD.
    (its probably just the prod, but id like an actual knife)

Be that badass sarge that killed a 'lid with a knife.
    If my tenure in this lets play can be described as 'supernova' I'd be happy with the death I give for earth.

Well, I have good news.

There's a glitch in the original X-Com.

I know. Shocking. But the one I have in mind is pretty badass.

Well, the first part isn't. You can put two items in one slot. Useful, but dull. But here's the fun part.

If the items are a stun prod and a gun, you unlock melee attacks with your weapon. It's slower than conventional firing, but you can beat enemies to death with a riflebutt.

Don't say I never did nothing for you.

I can't awesome your post any harder, chiasaur, but I'm trying.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    I wish that they didn't fix that bug in OpenXCOM. Otherwise I could quad-wield rocket launchers.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I wish that they didn't fix that bug in OpenXCOM. Otherwise I could quad-wield rocket launchers.

"Moreover! As a Ranger/Ranger, I can dual-wield my dual-wield!"
    "What."

• SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, you've seen through my clever plan, I suppose I'll need to find some other way to become a giant monstrosity of death.

So, you've seen through my clever plan, I suppose I'll need to find some other way to become a giant monstrosity of death.
    Sorry, they're only giant in Long War.

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    We cautiously spread out through the jungle surrounding the crash site, but there are no further contacts. The proximity grenade we dropped in front of the UFO hasn't gone off either. Whatever resistance is left, it's inside.

Our squad reassembles around the UFO hull, and Elvenshae and Sumanai swap out the high explosive rounds in their autocannons for armor piercing, which will be much safer in close quarters. A regular grenade clears away the proxy in front of the door. Let's take a peek inside.

CllCJ3L.png

an_alt takes door-opening duty, since apparently she's immune to plasma.

WY1WXNE.gif

She's also a crack shot.

Talus9952, Sumanai, Elvenshae, and Heatwave rush past her to take up positions inside. We roll a smoke bomb into the room behind them, and the rest of the team converges on the door.

ObCbIig.png

When the smoke bomb detonates, visibility in the UFO's antechamber drops to zero. A door opens somewhere nearby. We can hear movement. Something is inside the room with us.

NVov1Qs.png

theSquid spots it first, and calls out the contact. An electric motor whines immediately to his left as autocannon barrels spin to life, and Elvenshae fills the smoky room with fire and thunder.

g5GyQBu.gif

Once the dakka stops, theSquid dashes forward to the far wall. He takes the place of Talus9952, who is breaching the southern room.

X8XODeY.png

CLEAR!

Sumanai sprints past the fresh Floater corpse to open the northern door.

lWnRSQE.png

It's seen her, so withdrawal is not an option. She has enough time units for a single burst from her autocannon. If she fails to get the kill, she's dead on the alien turn.

2BI8xZZ.gif

Goodbye, Sumanai.

jYOWAEb.png

6IbGLSs.gif

It was carrying a stun bomb launcher.

It was also the last alien.

KGRpa3t.png

Sumanai and theSquid sleep all the way back to Haus Von Trapp. It's the best sleep of Sumanai's life.

The Floater never wakes up. Our alien containment facility is still a week away from completion.

SbLCXRT.png

Everyone else except for KoopahTroopah and YerMum gets bumped up to Squaddie. I like to think those two have nonetheless gained valuable experience in hanging back and letting other people get shot in the face.

• SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Well, off to the firing range once I wake up.

Also, I just noticed most of the images have alt text, it's like the cherry on top! :+1:

camo_sig2.png
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    An excellent start! Of course the start of the war isn't where we're likely to run into problems...

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Missed this the first time ...
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Did you just say that centigrade isn't a real temperature? I will cut you.

Centigrade temperatures exist because people couldn't handle temps in the 90s and heat indices in the 100s, so someone figured that if you just pretended they were actually in the 30s, it wouldn't seem as hot.

Also, Fahrenheit is scaled to how hot a dude's wife was. Therefore, it is the superior method of measuring temperature.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Also, you don't need to be super accurate when you're lobbing 40mm grenades downrange at ~40rpm.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    ...the alien stunned itself FOR US and we didn't have a containment up. Classic.

I feel like this LP will fall sadly short of expectations if none of us is in a bodybag by the end of the month.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »
    I feel like this LP will fall sadly short of expectations if none of us is in a bodybag by the end of the month.

Eh, its not like those body bags have a use-by date or anything. I'm sure they'll keep until the Chrysalids show up.

• KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Eh, its not like those body bags have a use-by date or anything. I'm sure they'll keep until the Chrysalids show up.

*invests heavily in stocks of body bags at the mention of Chrysalids*

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• see317see317 Registered User regular

You don't need to invest heavily in body bags, not like any of us are going to be using more than one anyway.

• scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    !signup

this here nugget will go wherever the commander says I go.

previous work experience might not aid in the cleaning of latrines but surely there is a handbook or some regulations I can look up.

my first instincts are to douse them in gasoline and to light 'em up with a match, casually thrown backwards over my shoulder. it just feels right.

• EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular

Colonel Trautman would approve

Richard_Crenna.jpg

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    This is the sort of run that has a Large UFO show up on your base in February.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    This is the sort of run that has a Large UFO show up on your base in February.

even the aliens don't want to be alone on valentine's day.

Since we're not going to accomplish much more than the critical path research in this LP, I figure I'll just throw in the UFOpedia entries for things as we encounter them.

Meet the Large Scout
    bpVjgkz.png

The Large Scout's plasma beam outranges our Stingrays by a small margin, but its damage output is minuscule. At worst, these engagements will result in a few hours of repairs. Their abundant internal walls and blind corners make them very hazardous to breach on the ground, however, unless the power source has exploded and gutted the ship.

Meet the Floaters
    PqLouZi.png

Floaters have attributes roughly comparable to a skilled human soldier, but their flight ability sets them apart. They'll use it to negate our cover and ambush us from all sorts of unexpected angles. It also makes them difficult to target with grenades, which kicks our crutch out from under us.

m5EqTCK.png

Jungle terrain is a challenging place to encounter Floaters. They can simply move up one level to ignore the ground cover, but check out the route Sumanai would have had to take here to move a few tiles north:

8gmDPQ0.png

• Oh My GodOh My God Registered User regular
    !signup for one of the many inevitable replacement pilots, or if needed as a grunt (Male 4) if the amazing luck of Operation Unbridled Roadrunner doesn't keep. I'm feeling that the pilots are going to be bearing the real brunt of the death toll on this one. All sorts of clever things you can do on an operation to try to mitigate the advantages of the aliens whereas I'm getting goosebumps thinking about what it'll be like trying to interdict a Terror Ship or a Battleship with starting technology.

On that note... This is fantastic. Everything about this is fantastic.

• EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Oh, My God wrote: »
    I'm getting goosebumps thinking about what it'll be like trying to interdict a Terror Ship or a Battleship with starting technology.

Pretty much this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    All sorts of clever things you can do on an operation to try to mitigate the advantages of the aliens whereas I'm getting goosebumps thinking about what it'll be like trying to interdict a Terror Ship or a Battleship with starting technology.

He's going to have to attack with multiple interceptors simultaneously.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Mvrck wrote: »
    All sorts of clever things you can do on an operation to try to mitigate the advantages of the aliens whereas I'm getting goosebumps thinking about what it'll be like trying to interdict a Terror Ship or a Battleship with starting technology.

He's going to have to end up so fucking broke.

Yeah uh

that's more accurate.

MechMantis on
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Especially with council funding only.

• YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Welcome to Earf!

Also, next mission, can I get a real gun instead of this crappy Nerf shit? I want to shoot ET dammit!

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    So yeah.

Spoiling this for those precious few who haven't played X-Com

Battleships can vaporize Interceptors with a single shot.

Each interceptor costs 600k.
    A pair of Avalanche launchers costs 25.5k
    A full load of missiles (3 in each) for those launchers costs 54k

You need to deal 1600 damage to a Battleship to down it.

Each Avalanche deals 100 damage.

The Battleship's gun outranges the Avalanche.

DO YOU SEE WHERE THIS IS GOING.

MechMantis on
  • YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    So yeah.

Spoiling this for those precious few who haven't played X-Com

Battleships can vaporize Interceptors with a single shot.

Each interceptor costs 600k.
    A pair of Avalanche launchers costs 25.5k
    A full load of missiles (3 in each) for those launchers costs 54k

You need to deal 1600 damage to a Battleship to down it.

Each Avalanche deals 100 damage.

The Battleship's gun outranges the Avalanche.

DO YOU SEE WHERE THIS IS GOING.

Win the game before they show up/ignore them when possible?

Would not surprise me if that is the solution.

edited January 2015
    I imagine the strategy for this will be a lot like two mission XCOM. That is, beating the game in two missions. Similar lack of tech and funding.

cB557 on
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    "Oh, the boys made it back from the first mission! Let's see wha..."

*sees two sleeping soldiers carted past"

*sees Alien corpse carted past*

"...What did that fucking beagle get me into"