As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Fanda wrote: »
    SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!

The no-holds-barred grudge match three weeks in the making!

93Kapsd.png

Following MechMantis's brutal shootdown of their latest Medium Scout, the Ethereal Overmind is out for blood.

Now humanity's greenest rookies prepare to lock horns with the veteran gray menace in a contest that could decide it all!

yJ4qXul.png

Can X-Com reverse their recent string of losses? Or will this mark the beginning of the end for Mount Rushmore's beleaguered roster?

Find out - SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! - at the Southern Idaho Fairgrounds!

We'll sell you the whole seat ... but you'll only need the edge!

Ah ha ha, that alt text. <3

EDIT: Ugh, worst possible totp. Let's carry Fanda's awesomeness forward at least...

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Look, I'm pretty sure a barn is the only thing on the map that can't cause me to panic or go berserk just by thinking my way. So just let me have this one small thing ok?

Bigity on
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Aw hell yeah!

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Look, I'm pretty sure a barn is the only thing on the map that can't cause me to panic or go berserk just by thinking my way. So just let me have this one small thing ok?

Have you been following the thread? Barns are fucking monsters. Monsters that hide other monsters.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Barns are the demons

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    see317 wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »

Have you been following the thread? Barns are fucking monsters. Monsters that hide other monsters.

Yes, I'm saying it' GOOD that we are close and can destroy it before the X-rays make me go nuts again (not that I'm there in this case).

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I'm glad to see @Elvenshae Airlines are as spot on with their landings as always.

Right next to a UFO AND a barn.

• DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I'm glad to see @Elvenshae Airlines are as spot on with their landings as always.

Right next to a UFO AND a barn.

Target-rich environments, guaranteed!

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    Why scout when you have high explosives?

Vechloran.png
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Time to chuck Hi X at the barn and the ufo.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Velmeran wrote: »

sjqq59uyxju9.jpg
    Fortunately, we've recruited some new scouts for just such a purpose.

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    YYTwMCs.png

X-Com Order of Battle:
    @crucialityfactor and Morning Butter
    Heffling and Rhan9
    Cheeseliker and Molybdenum
    @Gabriel_Pitt and manwiththemachinegun
    Phaserlight and Jintor

So, we're going to HI-X the barn. I mean, of course we are. The barn is within throwing range, and high explosives exist in our inventories. There is no conceivable universe in which this turn does not end with a massive, hay-scattering explosion.

But what about the UFO?

It's impossible to set up a safe breach on a Medium Scout in a situation like this. Unlike the Large Scout's 90 degree corners that are so conducive to setting overwatch traps, the Medium has rounded edges that let aliens retain the initiative as they turn the corner. And unfortunately, we can't put a proxy in front of the door because it's snuggled right up to the edge of the map. The best we can do is lock down both sides with proximity grenades and hope the Sectoids walk into one of them.

Rhan9, you haven't gotten to do anything for awhile. How'd you like to throw a grenade?

3FACBQW.png

I'm so sorry, Rhan9.

On the other side of the landing gear, crucialityfactor is standing in our enemy's blind spot. It's her first mission, she's the only one with a shot, and Rhan's life is on the line.

No pressure, rookie.

lAHb1gv.gif

Nicely done! We'll have to get you a bigger gun, though.

Meanwhile, Morning Butter has scouted a little to the north and found it clear. He comes back, looks over Rhan9's shoulder in the direction of the Sectoids... and finds he can't see shit through the smoke. If Rhan takes one step back, she should therefore safely break line of sight.

With Morning Butter watching her six, she nervously withdraws.

i3Ikyje.png

Now at a safe distance, she's able to throw her proxy - not at the corner of the UFO as she had planned, but at the feet of the enemy. Heffling covers the Scout's northeast corner with a grenade of his own, and on the opposite side of the ramp, Molybdenum makes a special delivery into the barn.

It's been awhile since we all enjoyed a HI-X blast together. Let's see if the old magic is still there.

seWd1qP.gif

Glorious.

NKWbnsU.png

And thankfully, the proximity grenade blast is strong enough to kill both Sectoids.

QhCZmvq.png

After collecting only a single kill over the course of her first three missions, Molybdenum just wiped out three aliens in a single turn. In addition to the two out front, there was another Sectoid lurking in the center of the barn.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Oh my god.

I could see my life flashing before my eyes.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Dang, they all came out to play, didn't they?
    Well, almost all - must be one still inside, if the mission didn't end right there.

Good job countering that ambush. (Without the initial smoke to cover you, it would have been a slaughter on the ramp.)

Great way to start a mission, with lots of explosions and enemy kills.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

Well, you have to know where to throw the high explosives.

I just wish I'd hit an enemy for once. This big gun is not just for show, at least not most of the time.

*flex*

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    This is exactly why some of us use our training time at the firing range and and not just the weight bench in the gym.

Mr Ray wrote: »
    This is exactly why some of us use our training time at the firing range and and not just the weight bench in the gym.

I'm sorry I can't hear you over how gigantic my biceps are

no seriously they're covering my ears can you please speak up

You might want to see a doctor about that.

• VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular

Well, you have to know where to throw the high explosives.

Completely not true, you can throw anything into the fog of war, why not make it more high explosives?

Vechloran.png
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Awkward Technocrat

i am slain

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    "Seems like with these manners they were... buried in a barn."

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Is it possible to damage or destroy the Skyranger with our own explosives?

No, thank goodness. I would have even more aborted X-Com games that I do already.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    It's even immune to the constant drip of muscle butter.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    We're going to need a proxy at the corner of the UFO again. Rhan9, you seem an apt sort for this line of work. How about it?

What do you mean, no? Why not?

Look, it won't be like last time, I promise. Just take a single step forward and throw, you'll see.

htOGBtK.png

Don't look at me like that.

Fortunately, we have heavy artillery in place to cover you this time.

TQZsHbT.gif

Just like that, Molybdenum picks up her fourth kill in two turns. It allows Rhan9 to throw what she earnestly hopes will be the last grenade she's called upon to deliver today.

With the proxy in place, it's time for some more scouting-via-explosions.

1leLnSv.png

Heffling unleashes an autocannon barrage against the distant hedge row ...

TuMucFn.png

... and Cheeseliker sounds the all clear.

If all the external threats have been dealt with, we'll just need to wait for the rest of the Sectoids to blow themselves up on their way out of the UFO.

rM9ehIi.png

It turns out we don't have to wait for long.

Rf10vKb.png

The only way for the aliens to break out of the corner in this situation is if they send out two on the same side of the UFO in the same turn, with enough distance between them that the rear Sectoid isn't killed when the one in front triggers the proxy mine.

So, of course, that's immediately what happens. The second Sectoid rounds the corner on our suddenly unprotected flank, its little feet slapping wetly in the viscera of its predecessor, and it levels its plasma pistol at the only person it can see: Rhan9.

iv9XxcZ.gif

Both shots sizzle around Rhan's gun arm and impact on the landing gear. For now at least, Atropos has stayed her shears.

ZVKeEB5.png

Every move Rhan9 has taken on this mission has put her in mortal jeopardy, and every time, her squadmates have pulled her out of the fire.

v1sqjd9.png

The mission rating does not lie: it was a good day.

Especially for Molybdenum! After carefully reviewing her maniacal laugh, the promotions board determined that she's officer material.

FdiG8QX.png

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    There's a reason why I took my time getting off the god-damned skyranger.

>.>

<.<

I was bringing more grenades.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Wow.

@Rhan9 = Squad good luck charm. Everyone rub Rhan9's head on the way back to the barracks.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Take that, evil hedge! You killed my father!

Rhan9 wrote: »

You might want to see a doctor about that.

I already did.

His prescription was more muscle.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Dear Ma,

Today was fun! My friends exploded the evil grey people! And barns! That was fun. One of them tried to git my friend Rhan with green hissing sparks. He was mean. I shot lots of red lines with my gun and soon the grey man had green all over! That was confusing. Everyone was real happy though because no friends took forever sleeps, I was happy too.

P.S. Flying fast now, whooo!

Manwiththemachinegun

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »
    The mission rating does not lie: it was a good day.

Especially for Molybdenum! After carefully reviewing her maniacal laugh, the promotions board determined that she's officer material.

FdiG8QX.png

When you get right down to it, there's no discernible difference between borderline psychotic glee at the destruction of a barn full of aliens and esprit de corps. It has been a glorious journey working my way up the ranks from muscle-butter-prank-victim to explosive hurling badass, and I'll strive to continue serving proudly.

28fb26e0cba441a4b518e32badee12de.jpg

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I seem to be the perpetual watcher of others actions rather than facilitator of alien destruction. :(

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Dear [Redacted],

Today was [Redacted]! My [Redacted] exploded the [Redacted]! And [DOUBLE Redacted]! That was fun. One of them tried to git my [Redacted] Rhan with [Redacted] sparks. He was [Redacted]. I [Redacted] lots of [Redacted] lines with my [Redacted] and soon the [Redacted] man had [Redacted] all over! That was [Redacted]. [Redacted] was real [Redacted] though because no [Redacted] took [Redacted], I was [Redacted] too.

P.S. Flying [Redacted] now, whooo!

[Redacted]

I seem to be the perpetual watcher of others actions rather than facilitator of alien destruction. :(

I don't think I got to leave the Skyranger, either. Thanks to the magic of 1990s Augmented Reality, though, I was right there with all the action.

• crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    I think another 5 or 6 turns and that sectoid I shot would have bled out!

Also, for future reference, I'm a guy. But glad to have made it into some live action an not immediately die.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I have caught up to the thread over the weekend and this afternoon; all glorious 44 pages. I'd like to enlist! I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE

Male 1, please, and arm me with whatever ye fancy. Barns killed my family.

• EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    I'd like to enlist! I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE

8f46ef962dc12dc171b0d77510221fcf_large.jpg?1393731703

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516