Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Look at it this way, you can join me in excitedly wondering if you're deploying whenever there's a new mission before you remember oh wait right
    that's not really a plus for you, mostly just one for me. It's surprisingly lonely down here in hell

You're not in hell cB, you're just haunting the muscle butter reserves.
    Sure, it may look like hell, but it's actually much, much worse.
    Dammit, guys. You know that if an XCOM operative dies in a way that leaves a corpse, their soul can't pass on unless you make them into furniture.

Tits! Tits! Tits! Tits! Tits! Tits!
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    That explains all the exquisitely-crafted butter churns around here.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    Iolo
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Is it being suggested that the unit's prized muscle butter is made from dead XCOM operatives!?

What did you think muscle butter was made from?

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Just like the mystery meat being served in the mess hall, I tried to not think about it.

Future Employee of Planetary Acquisitions, Inc.
    Pax Arcadia(PC) Division Agent
    pNRtexA.png
    TeeMan
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Is it being suggested that the unit's prized muscle butter is made from dead XCOM operatives!?

What did you think muscle butter was made from?

it's not just muscle butter as in "butter for muscles". It's also muscle butter as in "butter FROM muscles"

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    No no, that's Mussel Butter. Pulled it in from the nautical branch of XCOM - for some feason they were real eager to be rid of it, something about "the boys cant take the smell of singed shellfish anymore" - but we had to stop using that after the allergy complaints.

IoloElvenshaePhaserlightStormwatcheroverride367
  • MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Look at it this way, you can join me in excitedly wondering if you're deploying whenever there's a new mission before you remember oh wait right
    that's not really a plus for you, mostly just one for me. It's surprisingly lonely down here in hell

You're not in hell cB, you're just haunting the muscle butter reserves.
    Sure, it may look like hell, but it's actually much, much worse.

It's not that bad, we have good chats all the time whenever I go get a midnight snack.
    And 3am snack, pre breakfast snack, post breakfast snack, brunch snack, pre lunch snack, post lunch snack, afternoon tea snack, post afternoon tea snack, pre dinner snack, post dinner snack and pre midnight snack.

He doesn't talk much but that's ok, I make up for that. I know lots about the nutritional, medicinal, offensive, defensive, and anatomical properties and uses of muscle butter.
    So he's at least learning something.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Iolo
  • FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    HyphyKezzy is gone.

4ktzyJ0.png

Mr Ray is on his way out.

HCRrm5g.png

But maybe, before he falls unconscious, he can do one last thing for the team.

Deafened by the explosion, half-blinded by smoke and shock, Mr Ray limps forward into a silent hellscape. Elderlycrawfish has put the forest up ahead to the torch. The inferno is a beacon drawing Mr Ray onwards.

zE8gyJa.png

Just shy of ground zero and HyphyKezzy's shredded corpse, Mr Ray catches sight of his target and calls it out in a croaking voice he cannot hear.

QkKssrR.png

Nearby, Farangu makes a daring reconnaisance run along the hull of the Supply Ship. No Muton reinforcements have arrived yet.

m913WEn.png

At least, not from the east. But in the south, YerMum is now facing two aliens - one backlit by fire, the other by a flare. She clings to her useless rifle the way a child clings to a stuffed animal.

Her comrades in the Skyranger, on the other hand, already discarded their rifles. They disembark with more suitable weaponry hoisted on their shoulders.

84y7lGb.png

Sir Fabulous's rocket flies true, and the Muton finally dies - not with a scream or a gasp, but with a pig-like squeal.

Confirmation Bias then tries to assist by knocking down the trees that are screening the other one.

Kdb5I8I.gif

It knocks down the Muton instead.

Q7mWkD6.png

Antinumeric decides he's not going to let it get back up.

dWs0biB.png

All that's left is a crater and a foul smell.

We're down to a single target remaining - the thing that murdered HyphyKezzy. Although we're out of rockets, Colonel an_alt has emptied her autocannon of its armor-piercing payload and reloaded it with explosive rounds.

Now she empties her autocannon again, this time into the Muton.

Z3qKSLJ.gif

It takes half her ammunition, but the Muton is chopped to pieces along with the surrounding jungle.

We've exacted a small measure of revenge. It will have to suffice for now.

vBGR1JB.png

Having dragged himself to the top of the Skyranger ramp, Mr Ray's strength finally fails him.

n8ELm1R.png

Meanwhile, Mvrck draws the grim duty of retrieving HyphyKezzy's gear. He heaves the autocannon back to YerMum. Most of the other munitions are cheaply replaced, and can be abandoned.

However, there's one thing we won't be leaving behind.

c10hmq3.png

Rest in Peace, HyphyKezzy.

KTXmuZ6.png

Molybdenum wrote: »
    Soon you will be as tadpoles finding their legs, heaving yourselves out of the muscle butter baths and onto the beaches, croaking the songs of war.
    cB557JusticeforPlutoAntinumericIoloNotoriusBENStormwatcherRiusElvenshaeGONG-00MvrckshoeboxjeddyCommander Zoom38thDoeYerMumTeeManHyphyKezzyPhaserlightitalianranmaBigityHefflingcrucialityfactorfedaykin666MorninglordTalus9952Kristmas Kthulhuan_altEvmaAlsarjoshofalltrades
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Mr Ray would have made an excellent candidate for Robocop 15years ago... And a MEC 12 years later...

notoriusben_zpsa205e831.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    Phoenix-DIoloElvenshaeCommander ZoomTeeMancB557HyphyKezzyDuriniacrucialityfactorMolybdenuman_alt
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    No no, that's Mussel Butter. Pulled it in from the nautical branch of XCOM - for some feason they were real eager to be rid of it, something about "the boys cant take the smell of singed shellfish anymore" - but we had to stop using that after the allergy complaints.

Mmm.

This makes me think.

@chiasaur11 maybe you should try Terror From The Deep with the same restrictions as Fanda here.

I mean you already went insane the first time around.

You can't go double-insane.

right?

UA1OmVB.png
    GethStormwatcherPhoenix-DIoloElvenshaeRhan9cB557
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

Mmm.

This makes me think.

@chiasaur11 maybe you should try Terror From The Deep with the same restrictions as Fanda here.

I mean you already went insane the first time around.

You can't go double-insane.

right?

I played through TFTD once before that LP. I'd be going triple insane.

...Or I likely would, if it lasted. 'Fortunately', I'm pretty sure TFTD on these rules wouldn't last four months. It might not make three.

Commander Zoom
  • YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    That was the right call Commander, we'll get our revenge.

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
    Elvenshae
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Fanda wrote: »
    No Leaders. No Commanders. This ship contains not a single alien worth stunning.

There's nothing for us here but death.
    Wait, so, why not just immediately extract?

He's beginning to believe.

Phaserlight on
    "To be what you are not, experience what you are not" -Saint John of the Cross
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
    RiusFandaCommander ZoomStormwatcherMorninglordTeeManGONG-00CheeselikerGeneral_Armchairan_altEvmaAlsarjoshofalltrades
    Skyranger-2 lifts off from Madagascar in darkness and rockets toward the rising sun, bringing HyphyKezzy home to his final rest.

Mr Ray remains unconscious but stable, swaddled in hastily-applied bandages. His IV bag hangs from one of the empty weapon racks above him, its line shuddering with every vibration of the fuselage. While we can't yet know how long his recovery will take, it's a safe bet he'll be out of action for several weeks.

WIm3nJu.png

It looks like Ray will be the only one getting any rest.

Ko0ijtM.png

Lt. Mudzgut chases UFO-43 all around the coast of Japan and south into the Philippines, waiting for it to cross back over land before engaging.

2Np4Gsn.png

It turns out to be a Medium Scout, and Mudzgut sustains light damage from its plasma cannon while bringing the UFO down east of Manila.

I've come to understand that a Medium Scout appearing on the first of the month is scouting for that month's terror mission. So whatever we find today in the Philppines is what we'll be facing later when the Terror Ships descend on Asia. Now that we're into June, it could be any of the alien races. Hopefully Mutons are not on the agenda.

Speaking of which, we still have two downed Scouts and a base full of Mutons to deal with in Africa. As you may have surmised from that last mission, Mutons are tough. They have 125 health, their armor cuts most incoming damage by 20-30 points, and armor piercing ammunition only inflicts two thirds of its normal damage on a Muton.

To combat them, we have the following weapons in our arsenal:

bmqzarC.png

The rifle's day has come and gone. It will inflict, on average, precisely zero damage. Hitting an alien still gives experience, however, so a weak soldier can beef up by bouncing rifle bullets off a Muton's hide.

Number of hits required to kill a Muton with this weapon: infinite

R9Bh43w.png rbaTJAK.png

Despite the cannons' higher damage, armor piercing is still a non-starter. Fortunately, direct hits with explosive rounds will go through the Muton's somewhat softer under armor, making the cannons good tools for softening them up and finishing them off - or, as an_alt recently demonstrated, killing them outright with sustained fire.

Hits to kill: 4.5

NxbeQVD.png

The larger high explosive rocket will be our weapon of choice against Mutons when we can get a clear line of fire.

Hits to kill: 1.4

5H1KBty.png

Because of how many time units it takes to prime and throw explosives, the regular grenade - which for so long was our crutch and our salvation against the lesser races - is now a liability. It will be phased out and replaced with more powerful munitions.

Hits to kill: 3

yVLG7Yy.png

Proximity grenades remain a great way to draw first blood, and the one-two punch of a proxy-rocket combo will prove fatal in most cases.

Hits to kill: 2

AsYJCLE.png

You know you're in some grim shit when the great barn-leveler can't reliably one-shot your enemy.

Hits to kill: 1.25

Obviously, close quarters is no place to fight Mutons - not when you're relying on multiple applications of explosives to get the job done. Therefore I've decided to let the Medium Scout crash site in Africa expire, because those maps are too small and too densely packed.

We're also going to let the alien base continue to operate for the foreseeable future. It will score points for the aliens every day it's in operation, but we can try to make up for that elsewhere. And if we ever have a dismal month that looks like it's going to leave our score in the red, the option to raid the Muton base will still be there as a last resort. We can't get a Commander out of it, but just blowing up the control room will earn us 500 points.

That leaves the Large Scout that EvmaAlsar shot down. After this next mission in the Philippines, a team from Haus von Trapp will take a crack at it. However, we won't be breaching it or any other UFO crewed by Mutons.

So, poll time!

Given that using explosives inside a cramped UFO is too dangerous to contemplate, how shall we deal with Muton ships?

Should we let crash sites expire unless we really need the score, or should we assault every wreck with relentless savagery?

For those UFOs we do assault, how should we go about it? We could try to grab the low-hanging fruit by killing aliens around the UFO exterior, and then dust off. Or we could die of boredom camping the UFO door until every last alien wanders out, allowing us to recover the craft.

Tell me what you guys think. The rules of engagement you decide on will also apply to Ethereals once they show up, since they're almost as hard to kill.

Soon you will be as tadpoles finding their legs, heaving yourselves out of the muscle butter baths and onto the beaches, croaking the songs of war.
    IolocB557GONG-00HyphyKezzyPhaserlightTalus995238thDoefedaykin666an_alt
    let crash sites expire

die of boredom

<3

DuriniaElvenshaeHyphyKezzy38thDoefedaykin666an_alt
    It ain't like they can take off again.
    Wait em out.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I need more data before I can commit to a course of action. How are we on the following:
    -How many troopers are Strategic Beefcake rated, auto or heavy cannon qualified? (Closer to 32, the max capacity of an Avenger, the better)
    -Are we lacking any components required to construct the Avenger?
    -What is left in the research tree for the Avenger? And Cydonia?
    -If the known existing alien base is indeed Muton, are we going to gamble on other alien bases popping up being populated by something less formidable?
    -Is the Commander itching to devote time to other games?

Future Employee of Planetary Acquisitions, Inc.
    Pax Arcadia(PC) Division Agent
    pNRtexA.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Well, do we "need" to capture UFOs anymore?

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Unless we don't need to recover the craft, I say we wait 'em out. We've got that much deceased estate to divvy up we won't be short of activities in the field.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    It's above my pay grade, commander, but I say we go in and mop up the Mutons hanging around outside the UFO.

Of course, that's easy for me to say, never having been face to face with one...

Phaserlight on
    "To be what you are not, experience what you are not" -Saint John of the Cross
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
    There is actually a challenge for this game called "two mission X-com," which is exactly what it sounds like. One mission to capture an alien commander, and one mission to raid Cydonia. The thing I'd take away from that is that we may be able to get away with ignoring almost every mission that presents itself. So, I'd say ignore Muton crash sites. Maybe touch down to see if we got a sectoid or floater or snakeman ship or somesuch, but engaging Mutons on the ground is not a thing we actually need to do to win.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against the Irish) Registered User regular
    That's really the crux of it - unless we're that desperate for points, given the restrictions of operations, there's no benefit to engaging grounded muton UFOs, and a whole lot of risk that we can't really afford.

ElvenshaePhoenix-DcB557RainfallTeeManfedaykin666
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Bravely run away!

Elvenshaescherbchen
    Sigh. At least I won't be denied the ride to cydonia...

Bigity
    I need more data before I can commit to a course of action. How are we on the following:
    -How many troopers are Strategic Beefcake rated, auto or heavy cannon qualified? (Closer to 32, the max capacity of an Avenger, the better)
    Seventeen are full beefcake. Twelve more are heavy weapons-capable. We should have no trouble filling the Avenger, especially if we take a tank or two to plow through the Cyberdiscs on the Martian surface.

-Are we lacking any components required to construct the Avenger?
    We have everything we need.

This reminds me, though - I really should build more General Stores in the secondary bases in case we need to transfer materials out of Haus von Trapp in an emergency.

-What is left in the research tree for the Avenger? And Cydonia?
    Once our current project finishes, we only have to research The Ultimate Craft in order to build the Avenger. We should be able to start construction early in July.

As for the endgame, we need to do the following six projects in order:
    • Interrogate any alien
    • Alien Origins
    • Interrogate an alien Leader
    • The Martian Solution
    • Interrogate an alien Commander
    • Cydonia or Bust
    We can only do the first two with what we have on hand right now.

All told, our remaining research should take about three months, assuming we can capture a Leader and Commander in a timely fashion.

-If the known existing alien base is indeed Muton, are we going to gamble on other alien bases popping up being populated by something less formidable?
    We can also grab a Commander off a landed Battleship or in a defense of one of our bases, so an alien base assault isn't our only option. In any case, there will definitely be more alien bases constructed. It's just a matter of time.

-Is the Commander itching to devote time to other games?
    Apparently I've sunk over three hundred hours into Long War over the past few months. If I need extra gaming time, that's where I should probably carve it out of. Although, to be unremittingly frank with myself, if I had extra gaming time, that's also how I would probably end up spending it.

All your fault, Iolo.

All your fault.

<3

Well, do we "need" to capture UFOs anymore?
    Only to keep our score in the black. Looking back on some of our previous missions, it appears the majority of the score on a recovery mission comes from alien kills and recovered corpses. The UFO materials count for about a third of the total.

So if we're doing well enough, we don't need to recover any UFO components. If we're doing really well, we only need to shoot down UFOs and respond to terror sites.

That's really the crux of it - unless we're that desperate for points, given the restrictions of operations, there's no benefit to engaging grounded muton UFOs, and a whole lot of risk that we can't really afford.
    True enough. May was probably the last month in which we really needed to run up our score in order to boost funding. Apart from the Avenger, all our major expenditures are behind us now. We can afford to minimize risks and start conserving our strength for the final mission.

Beyond how we deal with Mutons, I suppose the broader question is this: should I try to speed things through to the endgame, skipping non-essential missions where it seems appropriate to do so? Or do you guys want as much X-Com as possible, right up to the end?

cB557ElvenshaeGONG-00TeeMancrucialityfactor38thDoeHyphyKezzyPhaserlightfedaykin666MolybdenumIoloKristmas Kthulhu
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    We want to win, @Fanda

steam_sig.png
    cB557crucialityfactor38thDoeGONG-00HyphyKezzyRiusStormwatcherPhaserlightDuriniaCromartyAntinumericmanwiththemachinegunshoeboxjeddyfedaykin666MolybdenumMorninglordFandaCheeselikerSir Fabulouschiasaur11MvrckRhan9IoloHefflingan_altEvmaAlsar
  • fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    Cowardly human victory with running away, proximity mines, long distance explosives and more running away, please boss.

steam_sig.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against the Irish) Registered User regular
    Cowardly human victory with running away, proximity mines, long distance explosives and more running away, please boss.

History is written by the winners not-blow'd-up.

fedaykin666
    I didn't sacrifice the ability to walk through normal-width doors only to lose my gains pursuing every last dirtbag xeno in need of a quick reminder who runs this planet. Take me to the man in charge and we'll institute educational reform from the top down.

Fandafedaykin666crucialityfactor
    TeeMan wrote: »
    We want to win, @Fanda

I'll drink to that!

ptibcvozthe6.jpg

cB557VelmeranStormwatcherNotoriusBENRiusElvenshaeTeeManGONG-00Commander ZoomRhan9AntinumericHyphyKezzyDuriniaFleebTalus9952fedaykin666BigityIoloMolybdenumcrucialityfactorKristmas KthulhuJohnnyToxxicEvmaAlsar
    TeeMan wrote: »
    We want to win, ~Fanda

I'll drink to that!

ptibcvozthe6.jpg
    why do I have to choose between agreeing and awesomeing this

StormwatcherElvenshaeRhan9Talus9952fedaykin666IolocrucialityfactorJohnnyToxxicEvmaAlsar
    also once you're done drinking that you're gonna want to get your stomach pumped and make sure no fragments of my ghost accidentally possessed any of your organs

I will carry your tortured soul into battle with me cB557.

Durinia
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I will carry your tortured soul into battle with me cB557.

We are Diamond Dogs, smearing those comrade ashes all around.

MorninglordDurinia
    edited September 2015
    We will become one in butter.
    And hence, in me.
    *belch*

Morninglord on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Aw, look at the unjustified pessimism. Saying you can't kill mutons with rifles.

Pshaw.

Just because, on average, a bullet will just bounce off a muton's hide, and it would take north of a hundred rounds to drop a muton soldier, let alone an engineer, but they can, technically, be killed with bullets.

If they just stand there, I mean.

(Best case scenario? 8 rounds rapid. That's the absolute best case.)

edited September 2015
    Thats also in the neighborhood of winning the lotto...

NotoriusBEN on
    Fanda wrote: »
    Apparently I've sunk over three hundred hours into Long War over the past few months.

That's absolutely fantastic, @Fanda. <3

MorninglordTalus9952
    edited September 2015
    g2GkYzb.png

X-Com Order of Battle:
    Confirmation Bias
    YerMum and Mvrck
    Elderlycrawfish and Antinumeric
    Sir Fabulous and Farangu
    Durinia and @akajaybay
    SutibunRi and Stormwatcher

Skyranger-2 makes a low approach over the Luzon Strait, setting down in a rural district east of Manila.

CZ4ei0v.png

As soon as the ramp drops, the curve of the Medium Scout's hull is visible to our right.

3IwduxR.gif

It's a good thing we brought the tank.

mcVsbBs.png

I have well and truly had enough of your shit, Medium Scouts.

YerMum once made a horrifying hash of shooting a Sectoid at spitting distance under the Skyranger. She deserves a chance to redeem herself.

5fpJDba.png

Wait. There's another one? Where?

8ctm7kN.png

Of course.

Anything YerMum and Elderlycrawfish do will risk retaliation from the roof. They could open fire, but what if they miss? Crawfish has an autocannon, and YerMum's career has thus far not been a tale of clutch shots successfully made.

I opt instead to move them back under the sheltering wing of the Skyranger, and breathe a sigh of relief when both make it safely.

It then falls to Confirmation Bias to take out the garbage.

xcT6vmy.gif

The age of conserving expensive tank rockets has come to an end. The age of maximum xeno-fucking now dawns, rising like a glorious skull-shaped sun over the western Pacific.

wBeyU3L.png

Unfortunately, we still have a sniper on the roof, and no one can get a shot at it without it getting a shot at them first. Everyone huddles behind the ramp, where they should be out of sight from the roof, and far enough back in case the Sectoid drops to the ground and charges us.

kttopNv.gif

When the attack comes, it's from an unexpected quarter.

lDes4uc.png

A section of fence absorbed the heavy plasma blast meant for Confirmation Bias.

It will probably also block any rockets we try to sling back, so our tank trundles out of the way and lets its fleshy compatriots have a sally.

6ISDAbo.png

Antinumeric claims a firing position beside the ramp, but can't connect on a pair of long bursts from his autocannon.

Farangu steps in with his heavy cannon ...

3dTaiTl.gif

... followed by akajaybay, firing her first shots of the war:

FRq9Zqd.gif

Close, but still off-target.

iP1NHJR.gif

You know what's right on target, though?

OiZlRhI.gif

Elderlycrawfish's grenade.

Fanda on
    ShimshaiElderlycrawfish38thDoeGONG-00cB557RiusHyphyKezzyIoloElvenshaemanwiththemachinegunTeeManMvrckCommander ZoomAntinumericStormwatchercrucialityfactorTalus9952fedaykin666PhaserlightYerMumHefflingRhan9General_ArmchairKristmas Kthulhushoeboxjeddyan_altEvmaAlsarjoshofalltrades