Options

[Dragon Age Inquisition] Seeker Pentaghast found some lost hobo in a ditch and here we are

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Regen pots are real good, very cheap to make and fully upgraded they have an aoe heal so you can heal most of your team with one potion

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    wow

just wow

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Any idea where to get tier 3 schematics for a mage?

Liberate the Emprise Du Lion keep for First Enchanter staff schematic, masterwork archon staff is from a war table mission you get from Bull after his loyalty and has the same dps as the first enchanter staff (and metal utility slots, so it's kinda bad).

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Think I can handle Wicked Hearts at level 13? I want another story mission under my belt, but I'm not sure I can handle Here Lies the Abyss.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I hope they tweak up the yields for some of the advisor missions

if I'm gonna send someone away for an hour, I'd like them to get me something approaching what I could gather myself in the same allotted time

they did beef up mining in ME2, at some point

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    That gather gold mission that gets you barely anything actually does get you throne upgrades, which is kinda cool.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Regen pots are real good, very cheap to make and fully upgraded they have an aoe heal so you can heal most of your team with one potion

Regen pots are incredibly strong

looking up where you can find the ingredients is totally worth the time

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Regen Pots are all well and good but if you are a Knight Enchanter you get your rockin glyph

and also can't die anyway because lol

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Regen Pots are all well and good but if you are a Knight Enchanter you get your rockin glyph

and also can't die anyway because lol

Yeah but then you arent a rift mage and you arent punching bad guys with a fist made of magical rock

And who would want that

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    because lightsaber

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Here's the problems with the potions system, in my opinion

1. Health potions are basically "free". They get replenished every time you camp, hit a supply cache, or fast travel to a camp or new zone. Which means you'll use them, because smoke 'em if you got 'em. The only thing you bear in mind is pacing them out so you're not without potions before you get to the next camp or cache. This, in and of itself, is not a bad thing and is actually a good thing, but because of it...

2. It sucks that all other kinds of potions aren't free. You get one extra potion slot per character, which you have to manually assign, and refill, and use (because companions won't manually use lyrium or regeneration potions or bee jars on their own) which is tedious as all fuck. Potions that occupy that slot all cost materials to replace and aren't automatically refilled when you get to camps/caches, which means also making sure every companion that has one has them manually refilled after manually using them. Or, you restrict it to just you, in which case by default you get one extra slot for a potion besides healing. You can expand your slots with perks or with a belt-slot item that will let you equip more of a specific type of potion (like grenades or tonics), but those items are garbage when compared to belts that give you bonus guard or focus, and you only get so many Perks in the game (because Influence hard-caps at level 20, unlike character level) so spending some on getting extra potion slots sucks.

3. Those potions tend to be really situational (elemental resistance tonics that last for waaaaay too short a time for how much resistance they give) or basically a substitute for an attack (the various grenades) or do something so limited in value that by the time you remember to use it, the moment to use it is already gone (lyrium potions, becuase your mana regenerates so god damn fast in this game if you take the right passives). In tabletop RPG design, there's a concept called action economy, where you measure something's value not just in what it does or how much damage it deals but in what kind of action it takes up and how long it takes to pull off. The various grenades are generally fucking garbage because you're using them in lieu of attacking or casting spells/using abilities. That's eating up your action economy, it's generally a waste of time. Yes, a jar of bees is genuinely hilarious, but a fireball is generally more effective. Yes, your fireball might be on cooldown, but that's when you cast one of your other seven spells (five or six if 1-2 of your slots are Focus abilities, if you'd prefer).

4. Because the other potions cost resources to use and resources to improve, you run into "...I should save this for when I need it" reluctance, or the "Rocket Launcher Problem" to put it into FPS terms. So you just... never end up using them. Which makes them useless.

The potions are actually done better in multiplayer, because in multiplayer:

A. You only have 4 spells/abilities, and you have 4 potion slots (5, technically, because healing potions are actually always mapped to tapping the left bumper or whatever it is you KBAM people use), so you have more space for situational potions and you also have less abilities to use, so grenades and tonics and stuff actually have value.

B. All potions are limited in quantity, including healing potions, since they come from chest drops (either in-game finds or chest purchases from the shop with gold/platinum), so they're all on the same "tier" of value.

C. You can't upgrade them, and you don't need to acquire resources to "craft" them to refill them. You either have them, or do not have them, as you get more from loot.

• Options
    A clumsy wild weapon, rock fist is the choice of the sophisticated mage

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    it would definitely encourage me to use more potions if I didn't have to gather resources for every "special" vial

seriously, I only used health potions after i realized what a pain it was to refill my regens

and I, uh, have never used anything else

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    vsove wrote: »
    Rainfall wrote: »
    I've posted a few wordier complaints about Inquisition in past threads, sorry if I offended, vsove(because that comment was kind of offensive, both to those who like the game and those who made it.)
    I'm really looking forward to the Inquisition DLC, because I love most of the individual parts of this game, and hopefully any DLC will be a more focused and self contained and not as enormously sprawling(which by its very nature makes it harder to conceal any flaws)

I just really don't enjoy the base game very much at the moment, since it very much does not appeal to my tastes, and I wish the main plot was more tightly woven into the open world experience.

Also I still haven't played any multi with you! What gives?

Yeah I took a break from games over the holiday 'cause it turns out that all I really wanted to do was watch Burn Notice and fantasize about making an open-world spy game.

And no worries - the only reason I mentioned anything is 'cause I've seen your wordier complaints. Insofar as DLC is concerned I'd say your criticisms are valid and I've basically reorganized an entire department to put more focus on building systems and integrating narrative into gameplay in a much broader sense because it's something I adore and think we can do much better on going forward.

!!!!!!!

@vsove YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I HAVE BEEN WANTING SOMETHING LIKE THIS. A vigilante-esque open world game where you're helping out the little guy is my dream game, no lie.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    A clumsy wild weapon, rock fist is the choice of the sophisticated mage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEdg4glpCkg

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Let me tell you about... watch_dogs

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I don't even need to use my lightsaber

I just put a glyph of whatever down and it explodes for MASSIVE DAMAGE etc

That means I kill my enemies with writing, Kwoaru

there is nothing more civilised

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »

no

• Options
    And yes

when I cast Glyph of Fire I do say "time to sign your death warrant" to the baddies on the screen

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    it would definitely encourage me to use more potions if I didn't have to gather resources for every "special" vial

seriously, I only used health potions after i realized what a pain it was to refill my regens

Yeah that part sucks

at least you can buy elfroot

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    It's not that bad of a game. Not revolutionary, but it's stylish and Chicago is fun to drive around and it's got a good soundtrack and a nice selection of guns

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Re-gen potions and bees were basically all I used.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Dubh wrote: »

Yeah that part sucks

at least you can buy elfroot

Or grow it and harvest it yourself

Because why would the gardener do it and just automatically add it to my inventory every time i go back to skyhold when i could do it myself

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Casting frost rune(or whatever the ice mine is called) on yourself with the shield ability is great.

e: It does make you stumble forward and lose your regen bonus though.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    I dont think i ever played with the rune spells at all

Directly targetted damage and that basic fire aoe spell only please

No time for arming timers and constantly dropping circles on the ground

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    rune spells are the sort of thing i always find cooler in practice than in reality

they're something that don't transition from tabletop games well yet

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm trying to think of something else to play now as a buffer before I restart Inquisition

Cause I guarantee if I go straight back into it after totally binging on DA2 I will burn out on it real quick

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I dont think i ever played with the rune spells at all

Directly targetted damage and that basic fire aoe spell only please

No time for arming timers and constantly dropping circles on the ground

But if you have the right ability points, you get a 50% damage reduction bonus for standing in your own circle, and people get frozen if they get too close to you.

It's good for a pre-engagement opener.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    the fire rune also does bonkers damage

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    the rune spells in DAI are probably the best implementation of them yet

in general DAI is the first game where using traps/glyphs doesn't feel like a huge god damn waste of time in combat

my wife plays a Hunter in multiplayer and she cackles like a mad witch every time she litters the room with bombs and everything fucking explodes

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of something else to play now as a buffer before I restart Inquisition

Cause I guarantee if I go straight back into it after totally binging on DA2 I will burn out on it real quick

well looking through your steam games i can't help but notice you have no hours in vampire the masquerade bloodlines

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Rainfall wrote: »
    I've posted a few wordier complaints about Inquisition in past threads, sorry if I offended, vsove(because that comment was kind of offensive, both to those who like the game and those who made it.)
    I'm really looking forward to the Inquisition DLC, because I love most of the individual parts of this game, and hopefully any DLC will be a more focused and self contained and not as enormously sprawling(which by its very nature makes it harder to conceal any flaws)

I just really don't enjoy the base game very much at the moment, since it very much does not appeal to my tastes, and I wish the main plot was more tightly woven into the open world experience.

Also I still haven't played any multi with you! What gives?

Yeah I took a break from games over the holiday 'cause it turns out that all I really wanted to do was watch Burn Notice and fantasize about making an open-world spy game.

And no worries - the only reason I mentioned anything is 'cause I've seen your wordier complaints. Insofar as DLC is concerned I'd say your criticisms are valid and I've basically reorganized an entire department to put more focus on building systems and integrating narrative into gameplay in a much broader sense because it's something I adore and think we can do much better on going forward.

!!!!!!!

@vsove YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I HAVE BEEN WANTING SOMETHING LIKE THIS. A vigilante-esque open world game where you're helping out the little guy is my dream game, no lie.

basically I want to make Burn Notice the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh6OVLa8lH8

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    make half the game just pulling off an elaborate oceans 11 heist with your party

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    make half the game just pulling off an elaborate oceans 11 heist with your party

this advice applies to every video game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I used Rejuv potions because they are strong enough to offset Reaver's self inflicted damage.

Likewise, when it's fully upgraded the attack tonic is crazy insano strong but it's garbage until then.

All the grenades suck and their damage falls off about five minutes after you get access to then though.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

this is why Mass Effect 2 is Peak Video Games because you totally do that

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Think I can handle Wicked Hearts at level 13? I want another story mission under my belt, but I'm not sure I can handle Here Lies the Abyss.

uh yeah unquestionably, I think I was only level 11 the first time I did it

there is very little combat involved

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

this is why Mass Effect 2 is Peak Video Games because you totally do that

eeeeh it comes close but it doesn't hit that need

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Rune Spells are insano great

Especially if you take Solas and Dorian

Lightning Cage + Rift Pull + Glyph of Fire with max barrier = hilariously overpowered levels of damage.

Or you can drop the slow spell and then put runes under people and watch them try desperately to esc-BOOOOOM

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Something tonally lighter than the usual 'super serious' but not madcap or goofy.

Sleeping Dogs' melee combat, focus on non-lethal. Dialogue system/cutscenes like we do, customization, missions that feel more like the heists from GTAV than anything else.

I can't remember everything I wanted to do but that was some of it.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
This discussion has been closed.