Options

[Dragon Age Inquisition] Seeker Pentaghast found some lost hobo in a ditch and here we are

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Wait, wait, wait

You're talking about
    Florianne, right? Did you get dialog from her after making her court jester? How??

Just walk up to her. Not a conversation, she just says stuff

No you misunderstand me.

Where. Where is she?

She's right by the throne

• Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    My opinion would be the exact opposite, there were some fairly major things I didn't like (especially around the gameplay) but when everything came together it was an amazing game.

But then I like 2 better than Origins, so I'm sure the answer will just be that my opinions are bad.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    My opinion would be the exact opposite, there were some fairly major things I didn't like (especially around the gameplay) but when everything came together it was an amazing game.

But then I like 2 better than Origins, so I'm sure the answer will just be that my opinions are bad.

Nah, 2 is a much better game than Origin, in pretty much all the ways.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i don't know why you would visit these forums and think you'll be lambasted for liking 2 more than origins

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i don't know why you would visit these forums and think you'll be lambasted for liking 2 more than origins
    Yeah the inmates are running the asylum on that one

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    there's a banter bug?

my party talked a fair bit but definitely not half as much as i would have liked them to

is it possible for them to just not talk at all? because then you might as well not even play the game

What I've experienced is not complete silence, but just really rarely triggered banters. Like if I'm in the Exalted plains, I'll get one banter every 30 minutes, maybe one banter per hour (yes, I've timed and recorded it to make sure I wasn't just exaggerating in my head). Then at other times and places, I'll get banters regularly every 8 minutes like they're supposed to trigger. Hell, sometimes I'll get 2 banters in a row with no time delay between them. It's amazing. And it makes me sad that I so rarely get the banters to trigger faster than every 30 minutes. Sometimes all I have is 30 minutes to play. :(

There's not THAT many banters

Well that's going to have to be a relative term, you know? To you they may not be very many. But from the amount I've teased out by parking my guys out in the field for 4 hours at a time while I go do other things, just so I can hear the dialog, I've found it's actually quite a lot of material. Only I can't get to the end of those conversations, because I don't have 4 hours at a time where I can just leave the game on. Besides which, I'd rather spend those 4 hours actually playing the game, instead of keeping them still in the hopes that they'll chatter.

Like this thing here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky19-1fuL2U

Do you know how much of that chess game I was able to tease out? Only the first one, "let me get the pieces set on my head", that one. All the rest of it? I would be amazed to get that much of a conversation from anyone. That entire conversation is "THAT many banters" to me.
    Like every 30 minutes and sometimes more sounds... pretty average to my experience playing the game?

Well it's more like, when the banters are being tricky with me, that I'll get one after 30 minutes, a second one after another 30 minutes, a third after a hour, a fourth after 45min, and then 2 hours of silence and I don't have time to play anymore.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Know what especially makes me sad? I can't get anyone to comment on my romances. :(

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I mean I have considered that maybe it's just by design that I could play 100+ hours of this game and still not hear the complete conversations of any of my companions, even of the ones I keep out continuously. It's possible that's intentional. I am just hoping that it is not.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i kind of feel like upping banter frequency would make a huge difference to how connected i feel to these characters

in some cases, like vivienne, it seems like we barely even have a relationship. she's just around occasionally. she gave some shit to sera and had like one funny exchange with iron bull. i'd like to interact with her more and i've taken her out into the field enough but she just hasn't spoken enough for me to feel like we're even communicating on any level

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Know what especially makes me sad? I can't get anyone to comment on my romances. :(

they're just being polite

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i enjoy killing high dragons.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    It's not really fair when they're high

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    It's not really fair when they're high

dude it's dragons on PCP and angel dust, I'm doing community service here.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Dragons are just misunderstood. They are so high that they think they are shooting rainbows, not fireballs or...however that electricity ball works!

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Dragons are just misunderstood. They are so high that they think they are shooting rainbows, not fireballs or...however that electricity ball works!
    Society has quite enough dragonsplaining already, thanks.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    nah, I'm policing myself because I don't want to be an asshole

this has nothing to do with impressing anyone

I'd like to imagine we live in a world where people don't need to imagine someone is looking over their shoulder to be polite, but given what internet anonymity does...

Theres nothing wrong with venting about a game but I don't think theres anything wrong with expecting some form of definable criticism

Even the 'these are bull shit mmo quests' comments contain something actionable

Comparing the designers to petulant children doesn't help anyone and also doesn't really say anything about what you actually don't like

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    there's a banter bug?

my party talked a fair bit but definitely not half as much as i would have liked them to

is it possible for them to just not talk at all? because then you might as well not even play the game

What I've experienced is not complete silence, but just really rarely triggered banters. Like if I'm in the Exalted plains, I'll get one banter every 30 minutes, maybe one banter per hour (yes, I've timed and recorded it to make sure I wasn't just exaggerating in my head). Then at other times and places, I'll get banters regularly every 8 minutes like they're supposed to trigger. Hell, sometimes I'll get 2 banters in a row with no time delay between them. It's amazing. And it makes me sad that I so rarely get the banters to trigger faster than every 30 minutes. Sometimes all I have is 30 minutes to play. :(

There's not THAT many banters

Like every 30 minutes and sometimes more sounds... pretty average to my experience playing the game?

I cleared the entire Hissing Wastes and only got three banters. One of them was after I cleared it and just came back for some schematics. I had similar experiences in other zones with hours of silence.

I estimate I had around thirty to forty banters the entire game and I played for well over 150 hours trying to 100% with multiple variations of companions.

I don't know what the bug is or why it's not affecting everyone equally, but I know it exists and Bioware telling me it's not a bug isn't going to convince me otherwise.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    So I fought one of the Emprise du Lion dragons yesterday (the ice-spewing fella on top of the circular building). Hadn't fought any other dragons in the area before.

Man, what a set piece. Trying to take that guy down while seeing the other two dragons wheeling about in the distance was spectacular

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    So I fought one of the Emprise du Lion dragons yesterday (the ice-spewing fella on top of the circular building). Hadn't fought any other dragons in the area before.

Man, what a set piece. Trying to take that guy down while seeing the other two dragons wheeling about in the distance was spectacular

That whole area is beautiful

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I definitely have had around 20 banters from the time i've started and I just completed Wicked Hearts, which I believe is almost the end, and that's after 80 or whatever hours of dicking around. No one has ever commented on my romance, and the characters rarely speak to me unless i go talk to them.

Langly on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    One thing I think skyhold could really use is a kelly chambers

Somebody to tell me if one of my party members has anything new to say so I don't have to make a lap every time i go back to unload all the crap I picked up

edit
    Langly wrote: »
    I definitely have had around 20 banters from the time i've started and I just completed Wicked Hearts, which I believe is almost the end, and that's after 80 or whatever hours of dicking around. No one has ever commented on my romance, and the characters rarely speak to me unless i go talk to them.

story progress spoiler I guess?
    wicked hearts is about half of the way through the main story

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Can it actually be Kelli Chambers

Or maybe Samantha Traynor

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    At this point, I don't think that it's so much that banters are bugged, it's that Bioware didn't do a very good job of setting triggers for them. I've beaten the game four times. I've put in over 250 hours. I've done two runs that were basically completionist runs. When I look at the banters on the Dragon Age wiki, about three quarters of them are new to me.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    But Traynor has to be in a DA style Systems Alliance uniform.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    I'm coming up real close on a hundred hours clocked in my first playthrough and I could count on two hands the number of banters I've had. That's barely, if at all, an exaggeration. It's both maddening and depressing. I guess there's a silver lining; if this ever gets fixed and I'm playing through again in the future at least I'll have new content to experience.

I still really like the game though. Next to pokemon and Phoenix Wright it's probably my favorite game series of all time. If dragon age had a dick I'd suck it.

• Options
    My banters are also out of order, I don't know if anyone else had that problem

• Options
    Whippy what if it was a dragon dick

would that be acceptable

• Options
    edited January 2015

I think the few party members who actually have an option to talk about other party members (is that really just Vivienne, Sera, and Blackwall?) should all have a different line of dialogue about whoever it is you romanced when you ask them

Josephine's lines about your party members don't seem to change at all with respect to romance (or anything really, except the odd one off after the occasional big companion quest)

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've had banter for days
    Banters from hell to breakfast!
    Sorry you guys couldn't score tickets on this banter train

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I've had banter for days
    Banters from hell to breakfast!
    Sorry you guys couldn't score tickets on this banter train

I just imagine all the banter as banter between my best friends in the whole world, Grey Ghost and also his twin brother Grey Ghost

that makes up for not getting in game banter

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular

would that be acceptable

You kidding me, that's even better

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Zay wrote: »

would that be acceptable

You kidding me, that's even better

not seeing a problem here tbh

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I do suspect that in most cases the banter is working as-programmed, but I sure as hell wouldn't say no to a significant increase in the likelihood of it occurring.

Random musings about the game as a whole, no spoilers:

Probably will put off a third playthrough until the team does their next patch, whatever it includes. Likely for the best since I've poured a lot of time into the game already. As I'm getting close to completing my second run, DA:I is easily settling into my top five games ever, despite some significant drawbacks (the inventory springs to mind). Emphasis on my top five though-- it does a lot of things that really reward my style of play. One of the main incentives for me in gaming is character dialogue and building a rapport with in-game characters. New dialogue triggers all the time in Skyhold, so every time I went out to mess around in one of the areas and complete a few quests, there was a reward (conversations) waiting for me!

I also tend to play in a 2-3 hour chunk and then not pick it up again for a day or two. Which brings me to Way To Win Didge's Video Game Love #2, world-building text. Especially world-building text which results as a consequence of your in-game actions. Hello, War Table! I know a lot of people didn't like this mechanic, but I loved having a little flavor text waiting for me every time I went back to the game.

If those things don't motivate a player, or if they're particularly motivated by things the game doesn't do so well, then I can easily see how they'd be put off. Into cool equipment rewards? Not so much. Is combat the most important part of your game experience? You're probably not going to be too thrilled. Are you a completionist? DEFINITELY not designed for that. If you play in marathon sessions, the war table is probably exceedingly frustrating.

I dig it though

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The war table would be a great mobile app

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Yeah, a War Table app would be really neat.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    The War Table times really need to be adjusted. I just want to see what happens with Dagna's father damnit! Waiting 12 real hours because another Blue Belt of Vendor Trash is coupled to the quest is such a bother.

I know I can change my system clock. I just refuse because I don't think it's acceptable to have to do that in order to experiance the game and process is tedious.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Oh don't police yourself for my sake.

I just know Rainfall's usually a pretty well-spoken person and I mean, if someone were being what I perceived as unnecessarily jerkish in -any- thread I'd comment.

If you want to call us a bunch of babbies that is your prerogative and me being around shouldn't stop you.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I mean, none of you have seriously threatened to beat me up because of the game so you're already multiple steps above many other places on the internet.

(I'll fight you)

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I thought the war table times were all good except for the few that went over 16 hours (ie a single sleep-work period)

given that the clock thing is a real and simple option I don't think anything about them really needs to be changed at all

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    vsove I was wondering what you thought about Patrick Klepek's DAI article on Kotaku

Don't know if you can comment

This discussion has been closed.