Options

[Dragon Age Inquisition] Seeker Pentaghast found some lost hobo in a ditch and here we are

1457910100

Posts

  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    yeah, I've mentioned this before but I can't imagine ever doing a run in DA2 where I side with the templars, like, it doesn't really fit with any version of Hawke I can imagine

    also, yeah, Isabela is super rad

  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I spared anders.

    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    One issue I have is they kiiiiiind of remove some nuance from the debate by making the leaders of both factions crazy in the end

    I suspect both boss fights happen regardless which side you picked

    Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Kotaku is reporting that multiple sources are saying that Shadow Realms, the Bioware Austin online 4v1 joint, is getting "rebooted" from a F2P game to an actual retail release with a campaign due to integratimg Origin support (which it originally was not going to do) and getting a larger budget to work with because of it. Apparently EA games that don't integrate with Origin get smaller budgets, which helped lead to Dawngate and Command and Conquer's cancellations.

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Kotaku is reporting that multiple sources are saying that Shadow Realms, the Bioware Austin online 4v1 joint, is getting "rebooted" from a F2P game to an actual retail release with a campaign due to integratimg Origin support (which it originally was not going to do) and getting a larger budget to work with because of it. Apparently EA games that don't integrate with Origin get smaller budgets, which helped lead to Dawngate and Command and Conquer's cancellations.

    ....Huh

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    vumpler1028vumpler1028 Registered User new member
    Mr. G wrote: »
    One issue I have is they kiiiiiind of remove some nuance from the debate by making the leaders of both factions crazy in the end

    I suspect both boss fights happen regardless which side you picked

    That was my biggest problem. You're at the end, decimating everything the templars throw at you, and then Orsino flips out for no reason.

    I wanted a "Man, chill... I've got this" option before we reached that point. Kind of felt like it threw just about everything I'd worked for out at that point.

    Grade A n00b-cake
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I mean

    I'd prefer a Bioware game to have a campaign versus being an online only thing

    But sucks for that studio that they have to start from, roughly, square one

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I mean

    I'd prefer a Bioware game to have a campaign versus being an online only thing

    But sucks for that studio that they have to start from, roughly, square one

    Yeah I'd actually say that's positive news, its just really weird

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    See that's why I sided against abominations

    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    When I played DA2 I went with the templars even though I was a mage hawke

    Because it is the right choice
    My hawke was about saving lives and maintaining stability and by going with the templars you can hold them back, saving innocent mages in the short term and hopefully restoring order quickly so that the general populace doesn't get even more panicky and start clamoring for an actual annulment to be carried out

    This is also completely vindicated when Orsino turns out to have been dabbling in blood magic for a long time, justifying meredith's suspicions, and then he deliberately sacrifices some students to become an abomination in the hopes of...killing as many people as possible? Certainly not living peacefully

    Meanwhile Meredith, despite being driven crazy by a magic rock, still bends to your influence and lets you save some people right up until the very end when she finally snaps.

    Plus if you do it the other way Meredith goes crazy first and Orsino does his abomination bit second, right? That sequence of events is ridiculous how does Orsino even justify that

    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmm I think I have a bug, theres this dude I need to talk to for the quest "The Trouble With Darkspawn" but hes nowhere to be found

  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Meredith is the best, Orsino is the worst, but it's really easy to fall for the anti templar talk in DA2.

  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hmm I think I have a bug, theres this dude I need to talk to for the quest "The Trouble With Darkspawn" but hes nowhere to be found

    do you have the quest already

    edit if so go northeastish of the keep until you see the smoke smoggy stuff and look for a dock-like structure and walk out there to plant a flag, which will open up a war table mission to finish that quest

    Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Meredith also goes batshit up the fucking belfry, and by the time you have to side with either one it's completely evident that they're both awful choices.

  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Meredith also goes batshit up the fucking belfry, and by the time you have to side with either one it's completely evident that they're both awful choices.

    Exactly, and the side that can mitigate the most damage and has the least crazy people is the templars.

  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Meredith also goes batshit up the fucking belfry, and by the time you have to side with either one it's completely evident that they're both awful choices.

    Exactly, and the side that can mitigate the most damage and has the least crazy people is the templars.

    good thing they ultimately side with you even if you defend the mages, then

  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    The Templars as an organization literally exist to abridge the rights of magic people. They can get bent, now and forever, amen.

    signature.png

  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Meredith is the best, Orsino is the worst, but it's really easy to fall for the anti templar talk in DA2.

    yeah it's really easy to see templars murdering mages for no reason and raping tranquil women and think, hey, maybe this institution has some systemic issues that need to be addressed

    it is easy to see that

  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    vsove wrote: »
    I mean, none of you have seriously threatened to beat me up because of the game so you're already multiple steps above many other places on the internet.

    (I'll fight you)

    Is this how I get hired

    The hiring process concluded when I drink maple syrup from your skull

    I mean...

    It's worth a try...

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hmm I think I have a bug, theres this dude I need to talk to for the quest "The Trouble With Darkspawn" but hes nowhere to be found

    do you have the quest already

    edit if so go northeastish of the keep until you see the smoke smoggy stuff and look for a dock-like structure and walk out there to plant a flag, which will open up a war table mission to finish that quest

    Yes I did all of that already, I'm at the last part. I beat up these Venatori guys and I guess there was suppose to be a boss man, but there is no boss man

  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Meredith is the best, Orsino is the worst, but it's really easy to fall for the anti templar talk in DA2.

    yeah it's really easy to see templars murdering mages for no reason and raping tranquil women and think, hey, maybe this institution has some systemic issues that need to be addressed

    it is easy to see that

    It's really easy to see blood mages constantly murdering everyone, too! Both sides are systemically corrupt and horrific but only one side has examples of not awful shitty people! (Thrask and Cullen)

  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    The Templars as an organization literally exist to abridge the rights of magic people. They can get bent, now and forever, amen.

    Well

    No? Not at all?

    The Templars were originally created to protect Mages and Circles, something you don't see very much of in DA2, but do see in DA:I.

  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Also the Templar leaders (Meredith, Thrask, and Cullen) basically continually beg the mages to just work with them rather than blocking the attempts to find blood mage serial killers at every turn.

  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hmm I think I have a bug, theres this dude I need to talk to for the quest "The Trouble With Darkspawn" but hes nowhere to be found

    do you have the quest already

    edit if so go northeastish of the keep until you see the smoke smoggy stuff and look for a dock-like structure and walk out there to plant a flag, which will open up a war table mission to finish that quest

    Yes I did all of that already, I'm at the last part. I beat up these Venatori guys and I guess there was suppose to be a boss man, but there is no boss man

    There probably was if you really beat up all of them at that little camp in the ruins after you make it out of the cave (not the ones with giant that are directly outside the cave exit camp, but the ruins a little further down the hill to the left after the cave exit)

    He is just real easy and when you beat him he doesn't die and should be laying down near a wall or something not exactly at the quest marker

    edit i removed the stuff that was all lies because I couldnt remember the quest right

    here just read this because I am dumb http://www.ign.com/wikis/dragon-age-inquisition/The_Trouble_with_Darkspawn

    Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hmm I think I have a bug, theres this dude I need to talk to for the quest "The Trouble With Darkspawn" but hes nowhere to be found

    do you have the quest already

    edit if so go northeastish of the keep until you see the smoke smoggy stuff and look for a dock-like structure and walk out there to plant a flag, which will open up a war table mission to finish that quest

    Yes I did all of that already, I'm at the last part. I beat up these Venatori guys and I guess there was suppose to be a boss man, but there is no boss man

    There should have been an spot with an "Energize" prompt inside the ruins. You might have missed that.

  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Do your best for mages throughout, get that thrown back in your face constantly, side with templars at the end with metagame knowledge that you are able to save people this way.

    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Seriously, DA2, let's look at the two most egregious examples of awful mages and awful templars.
    Ser Alrik is Tranquiling mages and raping them. He's explicitly shot down by his superior, Meredith, and it's clear that he's gone rogue. In the same scene, Anders kills an innocent mage just for calling him a demon.

    Quentin is a rogue blood mage who is kidnapping women, chopping them up, and making a frankenbride for himself. He's supported by Orsino, who is fascinated by his work, and is actively protecting him from the Templars.

    Both of these are extremely shitty, but only one is endorsed by his superior. The Templars are far from perfect but at least they fucking try.

  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Do your best for mages throughout, get that thrown back in your face constantly, side with templars at the end with metagame knowledge that you are able to save people this way.

    I did it without metagame knowledge and was pleasantly surprised!

  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    The Templars as an organization literally exist to abridge the rights of magic people. They can get bent, now and forever, amen.

    Well

    No? Not at all?

    The Templars were originally created to protect Mages and Circles, something you don't see very much of in DA2, but do see in DA:I.

    I mean...what? Like a Templar "protecting" a mage from a demon is exactly what the Templar would do if the mage wasn't even there.

    The Templars were established as a military arm of the Chantry to protect their members/communities from magical (and other) threats. Then at some point they decided that any person with magical sensitivity constituted a threat and had to be forcibly imprisoned and exploited forever.

    signature.png

  • Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Also the Templar leaders (Meredith, Thrask, and Cullen) basically continually beg the mages to just work with them rather than blocking the attempts to find blood mage serial killers at every turn.

    Let's be real here. The entire time Meredith is the one in charge, Thrask and Cullen are a couple random side guys, but they're not sitting there having discussions with her on policy and major decisions.

    These mages were kept under heavy guard their entire lives in a prison in all but name, were constantly fearmongered to the public, and threatened with a fate far worse than death for the slightest of infractions. Sure Meredith rejects the whole 'tranquil solution' because no shit, if there aren't any more mages she can't make power grabs anymore. It's not as if she isn't still DOING it to these people left and right, the only thing she rejects is doing it to literally every last one of them.

    Sure, you can claim "oh look at all these blood mages", but I mean if you set up a whole system built to put the screws to these guys, and then turn that shit up to 11 you don't also get to go "Look at all these blood mages! Mages can't be trusted!" Like, she set this up specifically to push them to that as their only option to get out of her frickin ultra-prison. These aren't free people with a curfew, these are people thrown in jail at age 4 for existing and then told every day of their lives "One wrong move and we'll kill you or so much worse." by a lady making a power grab in the city to boot.

    Basically, you don't get to put a gun to somebody's head and say "last words?" and then when they make a move for the gun go "LOOK EVERYONE, A VIOLENT MONSTER!"

    Randy Butternubbs on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Shorty wrote: »
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Meredith is the best, Orsino is the worst, but it's really easy to fall for the anti templar talk in DA2.

    yeah it's really easy to see templars murdering mages for no reason and raping tranquil women and think, hey, maybe this institution has some systemic issues that need to be addressed

    it is easy to see that

    Oh yeah all that shit needs to be fixed for sure, those templars should be on the block just like Anders

    But the fix definitely isn't disband the magical police who not only protect people from mages but and are the only thing keeping the (justifiably) frightened common folk from freaking out and just killing all mages all the time

    The circle system such as it currently exists is fucked for all kinds of reasons, and like most of thedas' institutions needs desperate reform, but the core function is practical and vital and templars are essential to that
    Vivienne for divine, 2014/15

    Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Speaking of games criticism (and since we don't have a GB thread right now)



    Apparently Polygon has to tell people what an "opinion" is because people don't know

    this is the funniest but also the saddest

    This doesn't really seem that surprising?

    Like yeah, people should know what an opinion is, obviously, but polygon also wants to point out that it's opinion, not editorial. When someone inevitably gets angry at polygon for hosting such a terrible, hurtful, etc etc. it's way easier for polygon to just point to a pre-existing page.

    Newspapers pretty much do the same thing with opinion pieces.

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Seriously, DA2, let's look at the two most egregious examples of awful mages and awful templars.
    Ser Alrik is Tranquiling mages and raping them. He's explicitly shot down by his superior, Meredith, and it's clear that he's gone rogue. In the same scene, Anders kills an innocent mage just for calling him a demon.

    Quentin is a rogue blood mage who is kidnapping women, chopping them up, and making a frankenbride for himself. He's supported by Orsino, who is fascinated by his work, and is actively protecting him from the Templars.

    Both of these are extremely shitty, but only one is endorsed by his superior. The Templars are far from perfect but at least they fucking try.

    The Circle's power structure and hierarchy literally exist at the behest of the Templars. "Mages" are a class of people that are forced into a power structure controlled, explicitly, by their captors.

    signature.png

  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I hate to bug, but @vsove‌

    Any idea about fixes for the Cole and Dorian quests, are those coming anytime soon

    Is the Dorian one even an actual bug or is it just a very specific trigger

  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Also the Templar leaders (Meredith, Thrask, and Cullen) basically continually beg the mages to just work with them rather than blocking the attempts to find blood mage serial killers at every turn.

    Let's be real here. The entire time Meredith is the one in charge, Thrask and Cullen are a couple random side guys, but they're not sitting there having discussions with her on policy and major decisions.

    These mages were kept under heavy guard their entire lives in a prison in all but name, were constantly fearmongered to the public, and threatened with a fate far worse than death for the slightest of infractions. Sure Meredith rejects the whole 'tranquil solution' because no shit, if there aren't any more mages she can't make power grabs anymore. It's not as if she isn't still DOING it to these people left and right, the only thing she rejects is doing it to literally every last one of them.

    Sure, you can claim "oh look at all these blood mages", but I mean if you set up a whole system built to put the screws to these guys, and then turn that shit up to 11 you don't also get to go "Look at all these blood mages! Mages can't be trusted!" Like, she set this up specifically to push them to that as their only option to get out of her frickin ultra-prison. These aren't free people with a curfew, these are people thrown in jail at age 4 for existing and then told every day of their lives "One wrong move and we'll kill you or so much worse." by a lady making a power grab in the city to boot.

    Basically, you don't get to put a gun to somebody's head and say "last words?" and then when they make a move for the gun go "LOOK EVERYONE, A VIOLENT MONSTER!"

    Except that Meredith runs her circle pretty well, doesn't kill or tranquil mages unless they go full abomination or blood mage(nothing bad happens to the one mage who just wanted to get laid and broke out with two psychos) and Bethany is pretty damn happy to be there. The circle only goes into lockdown when there's fucking packs of renegade blood mages roaming the area in Act 3.

  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Mages are the ruling class deposed by their servants

    -Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Seriously, DA2, let's look at the two most egregious examples of awful mages and awful templars.
    Ser Alrik is Tranquiling mages and raping them. He's explicitly shot down by his superior, Meredith, and it's clear that he's gone rogue. In the same scene, Anders kills an innocent mage just for calling him a demon.

    Quentin is a rogue blood mage who is kidnapping women, chopping them up, and making a frankenbride for himself. He's supported by Orsino, who is fascinated by his work, and is actively protecting him from the Templars.

    Both of these are extremely shitty, but only one is endorsed by his superior. The Templars are far from perfect but at least they fucking try.
    uh dude the ONLY thing about Ser Alrik that Meredith "shot down" was his plan for rendering ALL mages tranquil

    now there isn't any evidence that she knew he was a serial rapist, but he clearly wasn't the only one in on it

    so either Meredith knew and did nothing or she had no idea about a bunch of rapists in her forces, and either way she's incompetent

    Shorty on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Mages are the ruling class deposed by their servants

    Magic was meant to serve man, never to rule over him.

  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I hate to bug, but @vsove‌

    Any idea about fixes for the Cole and Dorian quests, are those coming anytime soon

    Is the Dorian one even an actual bug or is it just a very specific trigger

    If you're talking about Mother Giselle never starting it, it's a very specific trigger.
    Don't talk to Dorian about Alexius after you've judged him until AFTER you get the mission from Mother Giselle. It's possible that initiating his conversation about Alexius after you've judged him skips some dialogue flags.

  • Options
    vumpler1028vumpler1028 Registered User new member
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Seriously, DA2, let's look at the two most egregious examples of awful mages and awful templars.
    Ser Alrik is Tranquiling mages and raping them. He's explicitly shot down by his superior, Meredith, and it's clear that he's gone rogue. In the same scene, Anders kills an innocent mage just for calling him a demon.

    Quentin is a rogue blood mage who is kidnapping women, chopping them up, and making a frankenbride for himself. He's supported by Orsino, who is fascinated by his work, and is actively protecting him from the Templars.

    Both of these are extremely shitty, but only one is endorsed by his superior. The Templars are far from perfect but at least they fucking try.

    Odd... in my game he (Anders) went nuts but let her go. He's still a terrible, terrible person... don't get me wrong, but at that point I thought he could be reasoned with at least. And I didn't realize Orsino knew about Quentin... kind of lends itself to the "He was always nutty", which almost slightly makes his odd leap at the end of the game understandable. Almost... still a crappy way to force the plot along.

    Grade A n00b-cake
This discussion has been closed.