Options

[Dragon Age Inquisition] Seeker Pentaghast found some lost hobo in a ditch and here we are

16791112100

Posts

  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Just redid Sera's quest.
    Not sure how she's responsible for a routine dead drop getting turned into a trap because of a mistaken belief that she's Red Jenny, but whatevs

    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    well that's because ME2 is one of the best games ever made

  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think the inquisitor is bioware's weakest protagonist, they try to piecemeal drip information about them but that doesn't...really work with the PC. the player either makes things up about them that later turn out to be untrue or they bumble through conversations without a strong grasp of what their personality is

    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I liked the opening

    It got me excited to unravel the mystery of holy crap what the hell happened here

  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    When I first played DA:O, I was sympathetic to the mages, but thought the Templar/Chantry order to be a reasonable necessity. After all, mages were dangerous, and it would only take a couple to screw up everything, as the Tower questline showed.

    I remember the exact moment when I realized that Templars/Chantry were much worse than I thought, when a particular banter between Alistair and Wynne popped up:
    Basically, Wynne had a kid with another mage when she was younger, and the Chantry swiped the kid after it was born. Didn't even let her hold the kid, or let her have any say in the kid's future. That is fucked up. Not to mention that there's an unspoken rule that being in a Circle requires you to be celibate (unless they have fantasy birth control) if you want to avoid heartbreak.

  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    i think the inquisitor is bioware's weakest protagonist, they try to piecemeal drip information about them but that doesn't...really work with the PC. the player either makes things up about them that later turn out to be untrue or they bumble through conversations without a strong grasp of what their personality is

    I really don't know why you wouldn't in some way copy the ME thing, like, they tell you exactly who shepard is (that you choose) in the opening lines of dialogue based on detailed choices you make in the character selection. And like, boom, you're done.

  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Cause someone on staff probably played Kentucky Route Zero and tried to do that

    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    i think the inquisitor is bioware's weakest protagonist, they try to piecemeal drip information about them but that doesn't...really work with the PC. the player either makes things up about them that later turn out to be untrue or they bumble through conversations without a strong grasp of what their personality is

    I really don't know why you wouldn't in some way copy the ME thing, like, they tell you exactly who shepard is (that you choose) in the opening lines of dialogue based on detailed choices you make in the character selection. And like, boom, you're done.

    They did that with Hawke and people freaked out about it

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    i think the inquisitor is bioware's weakest protagonist, they try to piecemeal drip information about them but that doesn't...really work with the PC. the player either makes things up about them that later turn out to be untrue or they bumble through conversations without a strong grasp of what their personality is

    I really don't know why you wouldn't in some way copy the ME thing, like, they tell you exactly who shepard is (that you choose) in the opening lines of dialogue based on detailed choices you make in the character selection. And like, boom, you're done.

    They did that with Hawke and people freaked out about it

    why would you freak out about that

  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Is that the kind of person we want saving the galaxy?

    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    A lot of people chafed at being given a more defined character. Origins had a bunch of different types, and a lot of personal dialogue options, and narrowing it down to a fairly specific type of human didn't work for some people. And there are a fair number of people that don't like the conversation wheel.

    I liked the more focused narrative of DA2, myself, and I'm just going to keep repeating how I'd love to see other relatively small stories like Hawke's set in the Dragon Age universe, somehow.

  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Give BioWare the UbiArt engine and have them make collections of small $10-$15 short stories in the Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and I guess Jade Empire universes

    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Hot tip, mages v Templars is a super hamfisted "make everyone as awful as possible, that makes decisions HARD, this world is dark, are you motherfuckers ready for the new shit" nonsense that isn't interesting enough to argue about due to how exaggeratedly manufactured it is

    I mean

    this is clearly wrong since people are doing it right now

    do you know how many times a video game has asked me to choose between two shitty options, that it goes out of its way to make as shitty as possible, and actively locks me out of any "good" one

    it is one of the most creatively bankrupt tools in video game storytelling, short of maybe amnesia stories. it would be the most hamfisted thing in the game, if it weren't for your mother becoming a frankenslut sex zombie. it's manipulative, designed to make you say "ho man i made a hard decision!", but the only reason it's hard is because it doesn't give you anything but wrong decisions.




    for extra "ugh" it also adds a nice layer of "MAYBE THE OPPRESSED ARE JUST AS BAD AS THEIR OPPRESSORS, I DON'T KNOW, I'M JUST THE AUTHOR, I'M NOT SAYING ANYTHING, YOU'RE MAKING THE CHOICE" as though ken levine snuck into the bioware offices and wrote it personally

    Ok?

    You said its not interesting enough to argue

    people disagree

    I kind of don't care if you find it interesting

    people here do

    telling them their argument is dumb and irrelevant sucks

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    for extra "ugh" it also adds a nice layer of "MAYBE THE OPPRESSED ARE JUST AS BAD AS THEIR OPPRESSORS, I DON'T KNOW, I'M JUST THE AUTHOR, I'M NOT SAYING ANYTHING, YOU'RE MAKING THE CHOICE" as though ken levine snuck into the bioware offices and wrote it personally

    well this is kind of literally the case

    because of all that time mages were the oppressors and normal people were oppressed

    and then they took power and it turns out they are in fact just as shitty

    If by "literally the case" you mean "written that way, on purpose, by a human", which is sort of the problem being expressed. DA is obviously meant to allude to the real world but by making the mages death factories it really perverts the allusion in a way I also dislike!

    a human who, statistically speaking, has probably not been among the oppressed

    Not to keep this dumb argument going but you should have looked a little deeper before that post. The lead writer of DA2 is openly gay and the senior writer who oversaw most of the mage/templar stuff is a woman who was literally driven out of the video games industry by an angry mob of idiots.

    rhylith on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Like what is the point of coming into a two sided debate and going SHUT UP I DONT CARE

    there are a bunch of people talking about it

    they do

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I love the out of nowhere dig at Ken Levine

    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Like what is the point of coming into a two sided debate and going SHUT UP I DONT CARE

    there are a bunch of people talking about it

    they do

    the same as the point of you harping on me about it for two separate posts without me posting instead of just ignoring me

    you really want me to know what you think about my post

    I love the out of nowhere dig at Ken Levine

    bioshock infinite is the most egregious and offensive example of how disgusting the "oppressed are as bad as their oppressors" narrative is, fuck ken levine
    rhylith wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    for extra "ugh" it also adds a nice layer of "MAYBE THE OPPRESSED ARE JUST AS BAD AS THEIR OPPRESSORS, I DON'T KNOW, I'M JUST THE AUTHOR, I'M NOT SAYING ANYTHING, YOU'RE MAKING THE CHOICE" as though ken levine snuck into the bioware offices and wrote it personally

    well this is kind of literally the case

    because of all that time mages were the oppressors and normal people were oppressed

    and then they took power and it turns out they are in fact just as shitty

    If by "literally the case" you mean "written that way, on purpose, by a human", which is sort of the problem being expressed. DA is obviously meant to allude to the real world but by making the mages death factories it really perverts the allusion in a way I also dislike!

    a human who, statistically speaking, has probably not been among the oppressed

    Not to keep this dumb argument going but you should have looked a little deeper before that post. The lead writer of DA2 is openly gay and the senior writer who oversaw most of the mage/templar stuff is a woman who was literally driven out of the video games industry by an angry mob of idiots.

    which is why i said statistically speaking, because i didn't know
    also being part of an oppressed party doesn't mean that you can't hold problematic views about being oppressed such as perpetuating an "oppressed are as bad as your oppressors" storyline

    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Everyone wants the equalist revolution but nobody wants the equalist state

    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Like what is the point of coming into a two sided debate and going SHUT UP I DONT CARE

    there are a bunch of people talking about it

    they do

    the same as the point of you harping on me about it for two separate posts without me posting instead of just ignoring me

    you really want me to know what you think about my post


    No, I want you to not be a goose to people having a conversation

    Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Oh of course. But I just wanted to point that out.

  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Of course, there can be no true justice for nonmages so long as we continue to oppress our own kind

    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I feel like I have hundreds of elfroot plants, but can't stop picking it up. I think I have "might need it later" syndrome.

  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Oh of course. But I just wanted to point that out.

    now i know!
    Like what is the point of coming into a two sided debate and going SHUT UP I DONT CARE

    there are a bunch of people talking about it

    they do

    the same as the point of you harping on me about it for two separate posts without me posting instead of just ignoring me

    you really want me to know what you think about my post


    No, I want you to not be a goose to people having a conversation

    there are ways to tell me this in your first post instead of your fourth

    i am already talking about other things, i am talking about how the inquisitor is a weak protagonist

    i am harping on this but dragging a conversation on when someone else has moved on (which i have by my reckoning) is one of the things that really gets under my skin so i am a bit bullish towards the subject and probably give it more focus than it needs

    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The narrative in BioShock Infinite was that if you were playing it with earmuffs, ear plugs, and that blinding helmet Luke had, I suppose.

    Daisy Fitzroy and the Vox equate to Comstock because, as in numerous real life examples, their revolution turned into a bloody purge of a massacre, where truth died along with the oppressors. It's the French/Russian revolutions in a flying city.

    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    I feel like I have hundreds of elfroot plants, but can't stop picking it up. I think I have "might need it later" syndrome.

    you actually might well need it if you upgrade your potions

  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Everyone wants the equalist revolution but nobody wants the equalist state

    Hey everbody, the AvatarInquisitor is oppressing me!

    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i would in fact say you need an UNREASONABLE amount of elfroot

    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Kaplar wrote: »
    I feel like I have hundreds of elfroot plants, but can't stop picking it up. I think I have "might need it later" syndrome.

    You can need them later when you upgrade potions and the non-basic ones require extra material to replenish

    If you stop hitting V that will at least make it harder to compulsively collect herbs, you'll only grab the ones you actually see

    Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I entirely forgot about upgrading potions
    I never did it once

  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Just buy elfroot, dude at Hinterlands crossroads sells it for 20g a pop. Harvesting it is insane.

    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I entirely forgot about upgrading potions
    I never did it once

    I tried but I never ever ever had the right herbs

  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Kaplar wrote: »
    I feel like I have hundreds of elfroot plants, but can't stop picking it up. I think I have "might need it later" syndrome.

    You can need them later when you upgrade potions and the non-basic ones require extra material to replenish

    If you stop hittong V that will at least make it harder to compulsively collect herbs, then youll only grab the ones you actually see

    Playing on ps4. I'm less a mage and more sonar.

  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Any idea where to get tier 3 schematics for a mage?

    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I forgot potion upgrading existed after the first like, two times I did it. And I never used anything but health potions ever because anything else doesn't auto restock and you have to manually spend elfroot to get lyrium potions back or whatever.

    And I never found the grenades or tonics terribly useful when I could be using that time for a spell or ability. Even regular attacks were better uses of my time than a consumable resource that's kind of a pain to replace?

    Basically I liked how healing potions were done but not other kinds.

  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I entirely forgot about upgrading potions
    I never did it once

    it's on the list of things that are completely irrelevant on normal difficulty but become far more important on hard and nightmare

  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Like where's dawn lotus

    Idk, I've seen like one all game

  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I entirely forgot about upgrading potions
    I never did it once

    I did it for the basic health potion and regen potions, and then nothing else until right before the end of the game when i upgraded everything becauss i had resources to burn

    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I think I still have my 1 regen potion because it was a tutorial freebie.

  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    I forgot potion upgrading existed after the first like, two times I did it. And I never used anything but health potions ever because anything else doesn't auto restock and you have to manually spend elfroot to get lyrium potions back or whatever.

    And I never found the grenades or tonics terribly useful when I could be using that time for a spell or ability. Even regular attacks were better uses of my time than a consumable resource that's kind of a pain to replace?

    Basically I liked how healing potions were done but not other kinds.

    yeah the tonics and grenades are not remotely strong enough for the time and effort it takes to use and restock them

    but the regeneration potion is actually really useful, especially for reavers

  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    See this is why you need a trading game mobile companion app

    PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.