Options

[Dragon Age Inquisition] Seeker Pentaghast found some lost hobo in a ditch and here we are

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    One of the dragons, I forget which one, isn't tagged as a high dragon. You can save/reload or if you do the DLC there's another dragon killing opportunity.

Solas:
    So the Archdemons are the old gods corrupted by the blight, and Corypheus lives forever because he put a part of his soul into an Archdemon. That means in the final mission, you are helping Solas kill one of his brothers/sisters.

I may have misunderstood things but
    I thought all of that was actually just speculation and we don't really know what the Archdemons were or weren't and how things went down

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    One of the dragons, I forget which one, isn't tagged as a high dragon. You can save/reload or if you do the DLC there's another dragon killing opportunity.

Solas:
    So the Archdemons are the old gods corrupted by the blight, and Corypheus lives forever because he put a part of his soul into an Archdemon. That means in the final mission, you are helping Solas kill one of his brothers/sisters.

I thought all of that was actually just speculation and we don't really know what the Archdemons were or weren't and how things went down

Yeah
    I'm pretty sure the "archdemons are corrupted old gods" thing is presented in-game as speculation, and has never been proven, although seems much more likely with the events of Inquisition. And with Corypheus, he found a way to replicate that process using a piece of his own soul instead of that of a god.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Solas:

Yeah
    I'm pretty sure the "archdemons are corrupted old gods" thing is presented in-game as speculation, and has never been proven, although seems much more likely with the events of Inquisition. And with Corypheus, he found a way to replicate that process using a piece of his own soul instead of that of a god.

I think it's actually less likely, sort of
    There definitely seems to be tiers of stuff going on here, depending on which race you're talking about

We've got Dumat characterized as a silent god, but also as the instigator of the entrance into the Fade, so it's not entirely clear whether he was more than just a really big old dragon

There seems to be a more direct correlation between dreamers like Solas and the elven "gods" that doesn't overlap well with the Old Gods of the Blights, even as some of the myths appear to be influenced by them

So it almost feels like you had ancient elves who had their lives and their uthenera and their wars over whatever crazy stuff, and then they all killed each other off or ran away and hid, and then Tevinter found their ruins and created their own myths based on what they found that had little to do with reality, etc.

• Options
    But then again
    We definitely know that they could shapeshift into dragons, which appears to be knowledge from Mythal, though whether that was a common skill we don't know

• Options
    It's fun to speculate because in the end, I think the writers have set things up to be malleable so that in each game they can choose the most narratively satisfying approach without being bound by lore

Basically they can retcon as they go and it isn't really retconning because anything that's been established is of dubious veracity at best

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Solas:

Yeah

There definitely seems to be tiers of stuff going on here, depending on which race you're talking about

We've got Dumat characterized as a silent god, but also as the instigator of the entrance into the Fade, so it's not entirely clear whether he was more than just a really big old dragon

There seems to be a more direct correlation between dreamers like Solas and the elven "gods" that doesn't overlap well with the Old Gods of the Blights, even as some of the myths appear to be influenced by them

So it almost feels like you had ancient elves who had their lives and their uthenera and their wars over whatever crazy stuff, and then they all killed each other off or ran away and hid, and then Tevinter found their ruins and created their own myths based on what they found that had little to do with reality, etc.
    Keep in mind, there were seven elven gods originally. There have been five blights, and we know where the last two elven gods are. Solas in his god form was accused of tricking the elven gods into trapping themselves, which would make sense from the perspective of the old gods being imprisoned.

The Tevinter came to power with the waning of the Dalish, due to the loss of their gods and internal wars. Why? Because the old gods were whispering them secrets, such as teach them blood magic. I think the elven gods may also have been betrayed by the elves (on top of Solas), and helped the Tevinter to both gain their release and to punish the elves.

Dumat sending the seven magisters (see how seven pops up again?) into the golden city was a part of their plan to free themsleves that backfired, resulting in their corruption instead.

If that's correct, that would debunk my other theory about Solas having to kill his fellow god in the final fight. But that's the fun thing about conspiracy theories!

• Options
    I think it makes sense
    that Solas tricked the elves into being trapped somehow, and that they tried to free themselves in different ways

Look at Mythal running around in another body... That meshes with the idea of trying to trick humans into the Fade, so the rest of the elves could do the same, but it may not be so clear cut

• Options
    I also think
    it feels pretty clear that the gods were never actually gods in the sense of world-creating entities, like in the myths

No one was literally wrestling the sun and casting the world into darkness until Mythal rose from the ocean, but something LIKE that probably happened and was preserved as allegory

• Options

Solas:

Yeah

I guess I was thinking more likely in the fact that we know the whole soul-in-a-dragon thing is confirmed as a thing that can happen and probably what's up with the archdemons, because we have proof of someone doing that. I guess it doesn't have to be gods (maybe it's the original invader Vints' souls instead--that seems like something they'd do), but the way it explains the whole Warden thing makes so much sense I'm willing to believe that's part of what's going on with the blights.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I also think
    it feels pretty clear that the gods were never actually gods in the sense of world-creating entities, like in the myths

No one was literally wrestling the sun and casting the world into darkness until Mythal rose from the ocean, but something LIKE that probably happened and was preserved as allegory
    Definitely agreed. There's a huge theme in Inquisition in particular about how relatively ordinary people doing great things becoming more than that. The Inquisitor was taking on mythical aspects already during the course of the game. After thousands of years, she'll probably be a figure not unlike Andraste herself in common lore. With the reveals the game has toward the end about the elven gods, and even the ancient elves themselves, it's pretty clear that little if any of the known Dragon Age lore can be taken at face value. And I think that's really cool. Too many fantasy settings have literal gods who are exactly what the stories say.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Solas:

Yeah

I guess I was thinking more likely in the fact that we know the whole soul-in-a-dragon thing is confirmed as a thing that can happen and probably what's up with the archdemons, because we have proof of someone doing that. I guess it doesn't have to be gods (maybe it's the original invader Vints' souls instead--that seems like something they'd do), but the way it explains the whole Warden thing makes so much sense I'm willing to believe that's part of what's going on with the blights.

Also possible is
    the Old Gods being amped up demons like the one you end up fighting in the Fade at Adamant, and they possessed dragons either before or after the crazy Vint shenanigans of yore

And now that it appears lyrium is alive, how might that factor into everything, the Blights included? Especially given that the Blights and darkspawn originate from deep underground, maybe in places with red lyrium?

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    It's fun to speculate because in the end, I think the writers have set things up to be malleable so that in each game they can choose the most narratively satisfying approach without being bound by lore

Basically they can retcon as they go and it isn't really retconning because anything that's been established is of dubious veracity at best

Honestly as much as I love working with people and getting them to do their best work

My ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE part about being lead is lunches with Patrick where we bounce ideas off each other and come up with narrative threads, or evolve existing ones.

At the end of the day he does the writing and I do the in-game presentation but we are both tightly knit on the inception and creation of the narrative beats and there is little more satisfying than looking at a piece of content and being able to say 'holy shit that ICONIC THING came from my own brain'.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »

Honestly as much as I love working with people and getting them to do their best work

My ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE part about being lead is lunches with Patrick where we bounce ideas off each other and come up with narrative threads, or evolve existing ones.

At the end of the day he does the writing and I do the in-game presentation but we are both tightly knit on the inception and creation of the narrative beats and there is little more satisfying than looking at a piece of content and being able to say 'holy shit that ICONIC THING came from my own brain'.

You make it sound like one of the best jobs there is

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

On the one hand, this kind of makes me not care as much about exposition, since it's all subject to change. I also like stuff like the in-game explanations for why thermal clips were introduced in Mass Effect, for example. Being able to come up with limitations that exist within the world being built is really cool to me, and I feel like having such a flexible history and narrative to the world kind of eliminates this when exposition from previous games and sources can be waved off as inaccurate or speculation.

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

You make it sound like one of the best jobs there is

There are definitely times where it's not great, but ho boy the high points are so great.

We're at the weird place as a studio where we're big enough to have resources but not so big that we get a ton of 'you can't do that, it'll never sell' and it is an incredibly freeing environment to work in.

I mean a lot of stuff gets culled due to time/people constraints, and it's a collaborative process so sometimes my ideas aren't good enough to withstand the scrutiny of others, but even just being involved in all of that is incredibly exhilarating.

Non-obvious down side - by the time my day is over, I am so creatively -drained- that my own novel project is suffering a bit.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    That seems like a pretty normal downside to me! Being creative is work, and it's hard to get finished with work and then be excited about coming home and doing more work. I work in retail - one of the more draining elements of retail, granted, but still retail - and after putting in an eight-hour shift and going to the gym and all it can be super hard to focus on banging out a script or a short story

But the collaborative writing process is something I've enjoyed immensely every time I've gotten to participate in it - having that as a major element of your job sounds almost dream-like. Working yourself to death doing something rewarding sounds great

Especially when you get to read or hear about other people enjoying specific elements you worked on

Man

So cool

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »

On the one hand, this kind of makes me not care as much about exposition, since it's all subject to change. I also like stuff like the in-game explanations for why thermal clips were introduced in Mass Effect, for example. Being able to come up with limitations that exist within the world being built is really cool to me, and I feel like having such a flexible history and narrative to the world kind of eliminates this when exposition from previous games and sources can be waved off as inaccurate or speculation.

I mean, the underlying narrative only shifts slightly. There is A Plan.

How we present that plan and what parts we decide to muddy can change, of course. But there's A Plan.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    That seems like a pretty normal downside to me! Being creative is work, and it's hard to get finished with work and then be excited about coming home and doing more work. I work in retail - one of the more draining elements of retail, granted, but still retail - and after putting in an eight-hour shift and going to the gym and all it can be super hard to focus on banging out a script or a short story

But the collaborative writing process is something I've enjoyed immensely every time I've gotten to participate in it - having that as a major element of your job sounds almost dream-like. Working yourself to death doing something rewarding sounds great

Especially when you get to read or hear about other people enjoying specific elements you worked on

Man

So cool

yeah it is a pretty great thing to do.

That being said, I know I am -incredibly lucky-. I've been here almost 8 years and still haven't been laid off.

8 years at one studio is not as common in this industry as it may once have been. It helps that we're up in a frozen wasteland.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    So thanks for the people who helped with the dragon achievement, but the make 3 friends one is driving me nuts, I've changed at least 3 cards and done oretty much everything with all my advisors and several party members, I'm just before the last fight, and still stuck at 66% on the achievement

• Options

God, that sounds like my dream job, right there.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    So ah, anyone who knows about the lore, can they tell me what that post credits scene was all about?

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    So ah, anyone who knows about the lore, can they tell me what that post credits scene was all about?
    Both Solas and Flemeth are elven gods, Fen'Harel and Mythal respectively. Mythal exists as a sort of symbiotic spirit, while Fen'Harel is not currently known. I think "Solas" is just his actual body. Fen'Harel was weak after a millenia long slumber, and tried to use Corypheus to reactivate his Focus orb. But Corypheus overpowered him, and so the plot happened.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    And wrt to the main villain's ally
    The Dragon isn't an Archdemon, it's just a high dragon corrupted with Red Lyrium.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Both Solas and Flemeth are elven gods, Fen'Harel and Mythal respectively. Mythal exists as a sort of symbiotic spirit, while Fen'Harel is not currently known. I think "Solas" is just his actual body. Fen'Harel was weak after a millenia long slumber, and tried to use Corypheus to reactivate his Focus orb. But Corypheus overpowered him, and so the plot happened.

to expand
    Solas wants to get through the mirror to the place between mirrors so he can get closer to whatever his main goal is but he isn't powerful enough/keyed to the portal so he can't open it

so he eats flemeth

presumably his end game goal is to restore the elves so they can be the master race again though the route he takes to get there could be any number of things but I'm betting it involves unlocking the other elven gods as well as the remaining old gods

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Not quite correct:
    Fen'Harel is remembered as the trickster, betrayer of the elven gods. The conversations between Solas and Cole seem to indicate that Fen'Harel had to trap the other gods to prevent something worse. The Dalish still have memories of Fen'Harel, as evidenced by them using "The Dread Wolf" as a curse.

It seems like Mythal passed her power to Fen'Harel to support his efforts to rebuild the elves, and her Godhood to Morrigan.
    And wrt to the main villain's ally
    The Dragon isn't an Archdemon, it's just a high dragon corrupted with Red Lyrium.
    But red lyrium is blue lyrium tainted with blight. It really depends if the dragon was an old god (whom were, among other things, immensely powerful dragons) or "just" a high dragon.
    Kwoaru wrote: »

to expand
    Solas wants to get through the mirror to the place between mirrors so he can get closer to whatever his main goal is but he isn't powerful enough/keyed to the portal so he can't open it

so he eats flemeth

presumably his end game goal is to restore the elves so they can be the master race again though the route he takes to get there could be any number of things but I'm betting it involves unlocking the other elven gods as well as the remaining old gods
    Mythal sacrificed herself to give Fen'Harel the power to restore the elves, while keeping her godhood intact by passing it on to Morrigan. It really fits well with my theory about the old gods being the other elven gods trying to free themselves, and corrupting the golden city, if you think that Fen'Harel is also trying to find a way to physically pass into the fade. He's already tried and failed with Corypheus.

• Options
    Except
    You totally can go into the Fade with him and then he doesn't do anything, for meta reasons of course because if you just took him with you and he peaced out then it would kind of mess with the flow, but that would seemingly indicate that there's more to it than that... Like even if he gets in, he doesn't have the power he needs to do whatever he has to do

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

to expand

so he eats flemeth

I'm not so sure about that.
    Fen'Harel definitely seems to have a very low view of the modern elves. I doubt very much he'd want them to posess the glories of the Arlathan elves.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    regarding Solas
    I thought his goal was to reshape the relationship of the fade and the physical world. Like, he talks about how awesome that would be in his conversations

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    I feel like that's more of an ideal for him than an actual goal he is pursuing actively

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I feel like that's more of an ideal for him than an actual goal he is pursuing actively

Yeah.

Although;
    His perspective is quite unique, and very much a long term one

It could be an eventual plan for him, a far future endeavour

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Maybe I missed something, I didn't use Solas in my party, but all in all I got the impression we don't have all the information. So little in fact we have no real idea what's what.

• Options
    If you don't take Solas to What Pride Had Wrought, you miss a lot

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Everyone should at least do one playthrough with an elfy solas romance

It adds a ton to the story

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Everyone should at least do one playthrough with an elfy solas romance

It adds tongue to the story

Fixed, saucily

• Options
    Does Solas even put out, though

bet he doesn't

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Does Solas even put out, though

bet he doesn't

There are suggestions that you guys are boinking off camera

But nothing is really shown

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BZZZT, sorry, wrong answer

this romance is insufficiently scorching for my tastes, please try again

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Josie never even takes off those damn poofy-frilly sleeves of hers (not counting when everyone is playing dress up for the party).

I kept waiting for the sex scene just for that, but alas.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    the Harding romance has you two meeting in exotic locations across Orlais and Fereldon

with this playing the whole time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQnAxOQxQIU

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Josie never even takes off those damn poofy-frilly sleeves of hers (not counting when everyone is playing dress up for the party).

I kept waiting for the sex scene just for that, but alas.

Josephine is a lady of good reputation and this salacious material you describe is not appropriate

Grey Ghost on
This discussion has been closed.