Options

[Dragon Age Inquisition] Seeker Pentaghast found some lost hobo in a ditch and here we are

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    What kind of world am I living in where a Savage Garden clip is geoblocked for me

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Man, she hung round Lilli and conned everyone at the card game. She's just hiding her wild side behind her good manners.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Josie never even takes off those damn poofy-frilly sleeves of hers (not counting when everyone is playing dress up for the party).

I kept waiting for the sex scene just for that, but alas.

Josephine is a lady of good reputation and this salacious material you describe is not appropriate

look, it's not a party until someone's smallclothes are pinned to the wall

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Aw Josie with her little leg up when you smoochy smooch

Adorbs

• Options
    I'm starting to think no one but Solas actually knows how to be discreet about makeouts

The garden is not "somewhere private"

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I'm starting to think no one but Solas actually knows how to be discreet about makeouts

mother giselle has to watch

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    speaking of romances, I have a decidedly non-gay crush on Cullen

he's pretty, and I like pretty men

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    So far, Cullen is my favorite romance, like how vanilla is my favorite ice cream

Solas feels like the canon one, though

Josie is too cute, it's like smooching marzipan

• Options
    I just don't get the appeal on Solas and Blackwall at all

Josie is rad, imo
    and if I could get past my distaste of a couple lines I'm sure I'd like Sera, too

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Solas is just so narratively satisfying

All the pieces fit together in a pleasing way

Quoth on
  • Options
    I think the Cullen romance synchs really well if your warden was a female mage in DAO

plus you get some Hawke connections if you go with a female human

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah the Solas romance is my favorite romance Bioware has ever done. And unlike most rpg romances it actually has a great arc.

Like as any other race Inquisition is about trying to save the world and rebuild or reshape the structures of power across the continent.

But with an elf playthrough, especially romancing solas, while those ideas are still present they're not really the ones with emotional weight. Instead it's about recovering racial identity and heritage, and trying to help out your people in a land dominated by these crazy humans. And since Solas's romance is only for elves his dialogue can get really in-depth on exploring those ideas. The writing in those conversations is so great, too - unlike many an rpg romance Solas and the elfquisitor aren't just flirting and agreeing, they're butting heads all the time, exactly because they're both so passionate about defending their people (even as solas will tell an outsider that oh nah, I don't even care about them they're not my people whatever that means).

There's so many little added bits of dialogue that drive in that core divide between Elves and Everyone Else, too. Humans regularly mistaking you at first for a servant, and on the other pretty much every elven questgiver gets changed dialogue, where of course you'll help another elf in this dangerous land. Josie asks you for information about your clan because there's unsavory elf stories going around about you (which your character is already quite familiar with!) and you're like look Josie you seem nice but you're still an outsider and you just don't get to know that, because when outsiders find out about Dalish clans eventually it results in dead Dalish. Every structure of power that the inquisition is trying to restore has their own heinous histories of murdering or enslaving elves, and Solas gives you the tip about where to find your cool fortress not just so you look cool, but because eventually the humans will find out about the whole elven artifact thing and before that happens you need to have enough moral authority with the inquisition to be able to blunt any blowback against innocent elves.

It puts a very different tone on what is in many ways a fairly standard RPG story arc, mostly for the better I think.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

Blackwall at least knows to take it up into the loft

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Cassandra is the best romance

it has flowers and poetry and everything

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    My ladyquisitor romance with Josie was just the best, it kind of makes me just want to do that all the time

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Cassandra is so great that for my inevitable replay i'm considering playing as a male character for the first time (in a game where I have a choice) in over a decade, just to see what her romance was like.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Cassandra is so great that for my inevitable replay i'm considering playing as a male character for the first time (in a game where I have a choice) in over a decade, just to see what her romance was like.

spoiler it is amazing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Josephine's romance arc felt like a classic like, Errol Flynn movie's romance, which was tons of fun

Cassandra will be next playthrough, I think

• Options
    Blackwall's romance is great if you loved fucked up drama like I do

I was eating that shit like candy, it was so good

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    So far, Cullen is my favorite romance, like how vanilla is my favorite ice cream

Solas feels like the canon one, though

Josie is too cute, it's like smooching marzipan

Ain't nothing wrong with vanilla, vanilla is delicious

I agree that Solas's does seem like the canon romance, and I'll probably force myself to play through it at some point. I expect it will make me angry. For now-- fancy dude Qunari (although I guess the proper term would be Tal-Vashoth?) who's gonna woo Cassandra. I've got to see what all the fuss is about. She is the best, after all

• Options
    I thought you couldn't romance her with a Qunari, interesting

Josie does feel sort of like the lady version of Cullen so far as the romance goes, but there are distinctions for sure

She's more passive, more buried in her work to the point of obliviousness

Cullen gets protective immediately

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    All this talk of elven Solas romance almost makes me wish I had gone for him instead of Josephine on my first playthrough.

Almost.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    The other thing I like about the Solas romance
    the reason he leaves you is that you unknowingly convince him that making things better for the elves is still a worthy goal, even if things may not work out. Throuhout the game you guys argue about the elven plight, with him generally sounding like a pessimist - as you find out only by the end of the game the reason is because he did try to make things better as a younger elven god, and then he woke up and the elves civilization has been largely destroyed.

So instead of a fairly simple happy ending where you save the world, you have have been split up exactly because of the shared passion the two of you share. And yet you're still tied together as well, especially if the elfquisitor drank from the well, which in classic tragic fashion is exactly what you've always wanted, ancient knowledge of the elves, and yet seems certain to fuck you over royally eventually since the elven god you're now bound in service to is kind of a dick and doesn't actually care much about the modern elves at all.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Not gonna lie
    i almost want to replay that elfquisitor so I can drink from the well, I chickened out and let Morrigan do it again

• Options
    Not gonna lie
    i almost want to replay that elfquisitor so I can drink from the well, I chickened out and let Morrigan do it again

For me it was a no-brainer
    because no fate is worse than letting some clearly untrustworthy human get exclusive access to ancient wisdom of the elves. Almost better that it stay lost than that!

• Options
    I believe in Morrigan

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I also believe that most hatred directed at Morrigan comes from deeply rooted misogyny

institutional sexism is powerful, DO NOT think you're immune to it

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I will accept that as a factor however, morrigan is also bad

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I did not like Morrigan in Origins because she is mean to the rest of my party for no good reason.

I like her in Inquisition, though.

• Options
    I'm a huge fan of Morrigan and Miranda

our names all start with M (totally not the reason)

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I also believe that most hatred directed at Morrigan comes from deeply rooted misogyny

I thought that DA1 Morrigan was poorly written in that she seemed to just be a nasty, unpleasant person but without fitting into a framework as to why that is the case.

Like, she had reasoning as to why she might be anti-social (raised in an undead infested swamp by her demon mother) and also prioritise her own survival over the good of other (raised in an undead infested swamp by her demon mother) and also believe that people should in general be tough, self-reliant and quick witted (raised in an undead infested swamp by her demon mother) but then her social interactions didn't fit that.

There was scope there for an interesting framework, a system of morality which was different from everyone else , but she ended up being a pretty generic bioware evil puppy kicker and I was all "well you can sit at your own goddamn camp fire and think about what you've done then."

In DAI, I would say that I liked her a whole lot more. Not in a sense of she's changed as a character within the narrative, but in a sense that I think Morrigan should really have always been this kind of mysterious, sultry yet predatory person. Very... witchy. She definitely has this different moral framework (she killed a guy, and she regrets that she had to kill him because he could have given her useful information and she doesn't, like, enjoy killing people or anything, but she totally will if she feels like it's necessary and then not care later on) and she won't just help you but she will give you the chance to help yourself. She's got her beliefs about what people should be like, but she's not obnoxious about them. "Can't argue with success" after all.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I actively stymied and refused Morrigan at every turn, if she started using basic reverse psychology I would've given her my castle and my last red cent

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I thought you couldn't romance her with a Qunari, interesting

Josie does feel sort of like the lady version of Cullen so far as the romance goes, but there are distinctions for sure

She's more passive, more buried in her work to the point of obliviousness

Cullen gets protective immediately

You scared me there! I checked on the Dragon Age Wiki though, and Cassandra's down with any race. Woo! I really did not want to start a character over again.

Also Morrigan's fine... the only thing I didn't like about her in DA1 is that she whines every time you try to complete sidequests. I do think it's not unreasonable to distrust her with the well situation though! If there's one thing I trust Morrigan to do, it's to look out for Number 1.
    Unless she has a kid in your version of the games, in which case I expect her to do whatever will be best for the kid. Which may not line up with what's best for the rest of the world.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Cassandra and Blackwall see me for my inner beauty

CULLEN.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

This seems like a deeply annoying position to start off a discussion on why people may not like a character.

It doesn't say why you like her, nor examines the sexism.

It's just a straight up claim that any dislike for Morrigan is sexism unless proven otherwise, because.

• Options
    Nah Cullen it's OK I'm kidding, you be attracted to who you're attracted to

Not everyone can handle this much woman

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I don't like Morrigan because even though she can turn into a bear, she was generally not great to have in a fight. So i brought along my grandmother, a dog, and a statue. all were far more valuable.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Seriously, you can turn into a bear, why are you less effective at killing things than this dog that seems to be recovering from a weird blood disease?

GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME! WE'RE DOWN TWELVE POINTS AND IF WE CAN'T RIP OUT THAT OGRE'S NECK WE'RE NOT GOING TO NATIONALS!

• Options
    Kana wrote: »

This seems like a deeply annoying position to start off a discussion on why people may not like a character.

It doesn't say why you like her, nor examines the sexism.

It's just a straight up claim that any dislike for Morrigan is sexism unless proven otherwise, because.

she's a woman with a blunt personality, and those characters tend to evoke a great deal of hate whenever they're in a Bioware game

whether or not I'm annoying has no bearing on what cultural prejudices have their grip on you, OR me

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I am growing more and more convinced that you're not a human being, but actually some mad scientists attempt to create a sentient argument

This discussion has been closed.