Options

Movie Night at the Alamo Drafthouse?

WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
If you're not from Texas, you may or may not have heard of the Alamo Drafthouse. Widely consdered one of the best theaters in America, it's the place that uses former governors, acclaimed actors and furious complaint calls as PSAs for their no-talking, no-phones policy, and spearheaded the movement to show Team America in place of The Interview.

In addition to showing regularly released movies, they frequently have theme nights where they stage special showings of movies no longer in theaters. These include regular quote-alongs, where you get props and play games and talk along with your favorite lines from the movie you're watching. A couple of the locations here in San Antonio are doing quote-alongs the Sunday of PAX, after the show shuts down for the day, and I'm not sure which is more fortuitous for a crowd of geeks--Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Scott Pilgrim vs The World.

Would there be any interest in getting a movie night together to see either one of these?

• Options
    Lnrt87Lnrt87 KansasRegistered User regular
    I would be interested in this. My friend is leaving Sunday afternoon and I don't leave until Monday so I'll need something to keep me occupied. Either movie would be great!

• Options
    koleypunchkoleypunch Portland, OR/Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    OOhh, I'd be down. I vote Holy Grail, as I can quote that one more than Scott Pilgrim.

koleypunch on
    location! location! bees!
  • Options
    freemantimfreemantim MIRegistered User regular
    Tempting. I'm on foot while in SA, so if we can arrange a ride share, I'm game.

Gamer dad.
    I write for VGBlogger.com
  • Options
    ArdentbiscuitArdentbiscuit Registered User regular
    I have been wanting to check out Alamo Drafthouse for a long time! Sounds like a good idea!

They have done some amazing events I have wanted to attend like the complete Middle Earth Saga (all 6 movies) with the ongoing Hobbit feast through the entire time..

http://drafthouse.com/movies/the-complete-middle-earth-saga-feast/austin

And they did the summer of 1982...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHscsLM3bts

• Options
    ArdentbiscuitArdentbiscuit Registered User regular
    Here's the Hobbit Feast they did through the event..

So join us for this very special event, from "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit" to "I'm back."

First Breakfast
    scrambled fresh hens eggs, nice crispy bacon, grilled mushrooms, cheese & scallion popovers
    Fresh Orange Juice Mimosa

Second Breakfast
    strawberries, honey, crème fraiche, candied basil
    Meridian Hive Meadery Discovery Mead

Elevensies
    sausage and tomatoes with cheeses, ale-braised cabbage and pickles
    Shiner Cheer!

Luncheon
    mushroom & herb stuffed pork loin, charred brussels, sweet potato
    Meridian Hive Meadery Frontier Dry Hopped Mead

Halfway to Tea Time
    pickles and cheese, sweet soda bread
    Live Oak HefeWeizen

Afternoon Tea
    baby greens with orange-thyme vinaigrette, strawberry- goat cheese galette, sea salted shortbread and gingersnaps
    Hot Tea. Add a shot of Jameson Irish Whiskey for $6

Dinner
    stewed lamb leg with taters, root vegetables, leek, crusty bread
    Guinness Stout

Supper
    swirl of carrot and parsnip soups, scallion oil, mushroom turnover
    Chalone Vineyards Pinot Noir

Dessert
    apple & walnut tart , fresh cream
    Fair Trade Middle Earth Shire Blend Coffee

• Options
    BunniesBunnies Registered User new member
    Yes!! I would definitely! Me and the hubby have backseat room in our little car, maybe 2-3 people.

• Options
    JukeboxJukebox Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I know I'm a late arrival, but I've been wanting to get to one of the Scott Pilgrim Quote-Alongs in Austin for months now!

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    I might be interested in going to one of these. Sunday night you say?

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197