As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tell Us About a Time You Were Classy or Saw Classy Being Done

VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine.Registered User regular
edited January 2015 in Social Entropy++
The words "classy" and "class" have different meanings and especially connotations depending on who's using them and in what context. I want to know about a time when you thought you did or saw something classy, based on your own definition and understanding of the word.

Or was there a time you wish you had done something classy rather than the thing you ended up actually doing?

"Have some class" gets bandied about a fair bit in my family, where we come from a culture were saving/losing face is a big deal. It's generally considered classy to allow someone to save some face, even if they were in the wrong. It's also considered classy to apologise first, attempt to make amends first, to rise above, to be the bigger person. To not give in to the base human urge to revel in being right or justified or sanctimonious.

There are big gestures that demonstrate class. There are also small, subtle things. But in a culture - in particular an online culture - that celebrates being brash and tough and know-it-all-ish and one-upmanship, these things seldom go noticed.

Let's talk about how classy we are and how much classier we can become, SE++.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
Vivixenne on

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I comped some stuff at my hotel for a Make A Wish volunteer, because good deeds deserve recognition, even if it's just free parking and wi-fi

A small gesture, but one that was called for

VivixenneVeldrincabsyBucketmanVegemyteDarth WaiterHacksawBedigunzWuShockPeter Ebel
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    I'm at Burger King and there's a guy in the booth behind me rolling joints, that seems pretty classy

Calamity JaneDarkPrimusThe Cow KingMetzger Meister#pipetynicKanaBucketmanSkeithVegemyteMagic PinkMysstHacksawElkiWheatBun01HeadCreepsTheodore Flooseveltdarunia106KaplarCorehealerOdinAbsurdPropositionCambiataTallahasseeriel
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    My go-to story is from early last year, when I was in the Hong Kong airport meeting up with my family. We had a bit of a wait before we flew from Hong Kong to Singapore, and so we decided to get some bank stuff done - there had been an issue with my card and I hadn't been able to withdraw money from my Hong Kong bank account. I get an error message every time I try to use an ATM, and in my frustration I binned the printout with the error on it.

We go to the bank branch in the airport and I tell the attendant there what the issue is. She advises us to wait and sit down. We wait for a long time; they're pretty busy since it was lunchtime and everyone who works at the airport does their banking at lunch time. My dad raises with the attendant that we've been waiting a while, how much longer until we are seen?

The lady asks me what message I get when it comes out - I quote the wording exactly, even though I don't have the printout slip with me anymore as I threw it away. She looks a bit confused but says she'll get a manager on it.

In a few minutes she comes back and pretty pointedly asks me to use my card again. I ask why, it's not going to work, and I in all honesty get a bit shirty with her. We'd been waiting for forever with no idea how much longer it was going to take. She iterates - also very short with me - that she needs to see the printed message. We have a bit of a heated exchange where I say that I already told her what was on the slip of paper, yadda yadda.

Anyway, I begrudgingly go to the ATM, punch everything in, get the same message, and hand the paper to her.

She spots instantly - based on symbols/codes on the slip that I didn't notice or understand - that it's because my card had never been activated. She activates it right there and then at the greeting counter of the bank.

I go get my dad and as we exit the lady is already handling another customer. Feeling really bad, I inch up, touch her lightly on the elbow to get her attention, make eye contact with her and give her the sincerest "thank you very much for your help today, I know how busy you are" that I can muster. She nods and smiles, says "you're welcome" and we leave.

My dad later looks at me sideways, nods, and goes "that really showed some class. I'm impressed."

So I totally acted like a petulant ass - who was old enough to know better - but I felt at least a little redeemed at the end of it.

The reason this is my go-to story is because of my dad's comment at the end. He is one of the classiest dudes I know, and I know he tried to instill a sense of class - of being the bigger person - in us as we growing up, and he witnessed his eldest daughter acting like a prat. So having his nod for this particular incident - even if it was just a small gesture - was important to me.

Vivixenne on
    BucketmanLiiyaVegemytedarunia106XaquinCambiataWuShockDevlin_Dragonus
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I eat fish and chips with a fork. That's sorta classy.

Magic Pink
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I comped some stuff at my hotel for a Make A Wish volunteer, because good deeds deserve recognition, even if it's just free parking and wi-fi

A small gesture, but one that was called for

that is awesome, I bet that volunteer felt really great!

• Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    in the days of having a disposable income and no debt, i gave money to cancer fun runs.

i forget the name of the team i sponsored

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    Vivixenne
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm at Burger King and there's a guy in the booth behind me rolling joints, that seems pretty classy
    If it was a McDonald's, on the other hand...

YL9WnCY.png
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    that's a fascinating story to read and think about, viv.

i can imagine most people i know having a functionally identical story, and doing similar functionally identical things.

but, the framing around those actions, or put another way the philosophical context behind those actions? And a bit about how those action would actually play out? Would be tooooootally different.

mostly when I reflect on that story, I wish I hadn't been a petulant jack-ass in the first place

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2015
    Not counting summers and weekends, I used to do classy things every single day. But that ended when I graduated.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
    VivixenneButlerBucketmanVegemyteGrobiandarunia106JoolanderLorahalo
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hmm, a time when I wish I had done something classy?

How about from 30/01/1983 until after I click the post reply button on my screen here?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    mostly when I reflect on that story, I wish I hadn't been a petulant jack-ass in the first place

You've just described so much of our lives.

usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    Donovan PuppyfuckerSyphyreSpiced HamCalicadestroyah87
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Hmm, a time when I wish I had done something classy?

How about from 30/01/1983 until after I click the post reply button on my screen here?

So your run of classiness has ended?

That's what you get for talking about it I guess. Bad form.

Gvzbgul on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I masturbate with my pinky out.

(Sorry on smoke break and feelin snarky, will share some goodwill stories later)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Magic Pink
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    There's this dude at my work. He's kind of my superior, but not really.

He's super passive aggressive and it irritates me. I despise passive aggression. Face to face he's this super bright, bubbly excitable person (he's in marketing after all) but whenever he's requesting something from me on email, it reads as super curt, borderline rude, and he aggressively follows up. He'll often email me, then chat me to check if I got the email, then wall over to my office to ask why I haven't replied in the subsequent 3 minutes.

Anyway, last week my actual boss came over to my desk and told me this guy had mentioned that I hadn't replied to some of his emails and hadn't actioned some items in a timely fashion and she wanted to check if everything was cool. I was a little taken aback that he'd talked to her about it instead of me and I told her that as far as I knew, I had done everything he'd asked and checked my emails and I hadn't missed anything but told her I'd triple check. I did, then I got on with my work.

A couple hours later, in the hall or whatever, the dude approaches me and is really agitated. "Have you been getting my emails?!"
    I had a smile on my face the whole time. I told him I'd checked and double checked and didn't look like I'd missed anything, but I'm sorry if id appeared to be ignoring him or something and was there something in particular I'd missed I could check for

While I was talking he turned his back on me and walked off

Instead of getting pissy, instead of going to my boss and whining, I went back to my office and got to work figuring out why he was so upset over what looked completely innocuous to me. Turns out over the last week or two there was a handful of random emails that hadn't gone to my inbox, but were sitting in my "All Mail" folder, which was hidden. I never got notifications for them, and couldn't even see them until I unhid that folder. I have no idea why.

So I found and email from him like 2 days before asking me to approve some PDF proofs and send them back to the printer so they could start production. Apparently I never replied to his email, so instead of walking the 20 feet to my office to ask me about it, he approved the proofs himself, then went and complained to my boss that I ignored him and let this important project sit while we're trying to get a job printed before a deadline. All the while I'm quietly working in my office, oblivious as to why anyone is getting upset.

As soon as he came back from lunch I walked right over, I apologized, explained the problem with my email, promised I'd work on getting it fixed and strongly encouraged him to come talk to me if I wasn't responding in a timely fashion in the future.

I tend to feel like the office is no place for silent beefs, and the worst possible place for passive aggression. For god's sake if you have beef with a coworker just fucking talk to them about it.

VivixennecabsyDonovan PuppyfuckerVeldrinBucketmanLiiyaSporkAndrewVegemytePsykomaDarth WaiterHacksawRainfallHeadCreepsdarunia106mageormikeTankHammerEvigilantCambiataWuShocktheSquid
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Maybe four days ago at work I was making drinks during an after school rush, and a customer approached me from the bar side of the store and asked me if I could get him a cup of ice water. I'm like ten drinks deep into a queue at this point so I told him that if he got in line and ordered I would make him his ice water but I have to make drinks in the order they come to me, it's only fair.

He looked annoyed and exited the store, oh well, it happens, water under the bridge.

A couple days later he comes to the store when it is slow, finds me, apologizes for being rude and losing his patience with me and shakes my hand. I was floored, I had forgotten it even happened. Customers are rude or curt with me so often I think nothing of it. But he remembered and went out of his way to try to make it right and that is just amazing to me.

So when he ordered his drink that night I made it for free because one good turn deserves another and his apologizing more than makes up for any minor rudeness he aimed my way previously.

Inquisitor on
    #pipeVivixenneAngelinaCreaganVeldrinBucketmanDonovan PuppyfuckerSkeithVegemyteDarth WaitermasterofmetroidRainfalldarunia106mageormikeJoolanderXaquinCambiataWuShock
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have nothing to contribute to a classy thread. Why couldn't it have been a vomiting thread?

SeriouslyDonovan PuppyfuckerBucketmanVegemytePsykomaHacksawElkiCambiataClint Eastwood
    today I sent an E-mail out to another mental health team who's been working with my client and expressed my thanks and appreciation for their diligence and communication with me to provide the best care for our mutual client

I sent it directly to the specific staff involved and CC'd to the team leader

CreaganBucketmanDonovan PuppyfuckerVegemyteDarth WaiterJoolander
  • CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    In high school, one of my friends was doing a running event for Multiple Sclerosis research, which her father has. She was trying to get pledges, or something like that. Basically you donated money in honor of them doing the run. (Not per laps.)

At first, I was going to pledge 20 bucks. Which was a pretty fair donation in my mind: 133% of my monthly allowance, or two hours of dealing with the four daemons posing as little girls I used to occasionally sit for.

But on my walk home that day, I found fifty dollars on the ground. I talked to the police. After three days nobody had claimed it, so they gave it to me. I added it to the amount of money I had originally planned to donate to the run, bumping the donation to $70.

To me, doing that just made sense. I mean, it wasn't even my money. I definitely didn't earn it, so why keep it for myself? Besides, I was going to make a pledge anyway.

But my friend was flabbergasted and thanked me up and down for being so "generous," even after I told her where the money had come from. So maybe that was classy of me? I dunno.

VivixenneVeldrinBucketmanDonovan PuppyfuckerSkeithPoorochondriacVegemyteJoeUserPsykomaDarth WaitertynicRainfallDarkPrimusdarunia106AnialosAngelinaJoolanderXaquinWuShock
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I've got one story that springs to mind. I'm probably going to tell this awfully, but here goes.

This was a couple years ago. In the middle of a awful shift at a job I've since quit, my then-girlfriend texted me messaged me three words in response to my trying to start a text conversation with her.

"[the name of her ex] is here."

This guy is/was an absolute snake. He'd done some awful things, chief amongst them being cheating on her while they were on the verge of getting engaged. There was no way in hell was I going to let him con his way into throwing a thus far awesome relationship off.

I abruptly left work, and on the drive over I couldn't prevent myself from going over every scenario in my head.

I was mad and as far as I was concerned, shit was going down if necessary.

So I get there, open the door to her place, and walk in.

He is on his knee in front of her.

The guy is surprised as all hell at my appearing out of nowhere. I was later told by her that, at this moment, my expression was murderous.

I look him right in the eye.

There's about 5 solid seconds of silence.

...and I gestured to the door and said "If you would, please."

He skulked out of there with a muttered "sorry" as he passed me. How THAT was my reaction to the entire situation, I'll never know.

I do take a little bit of pride from it, though.

BucketmanVeldrinCreaganSkeithPoorochondriacDonovan PuppyfuckerVegemyteJoeUserDarth WaiterHacksawcabsydarunia106AnialosAngelinaOut Of ContextXaquinWuShockFishmanCalica
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    This lady came into work a few weeks ago yelling at one of the younger guys that the brand new Ipad Air 2 she just bought was broken. He seemed to have no idea how to respond to I strolled over and butted in.
    "Whats the issue with it?"
    'It won't connect to the internet!'
    I hooked it up to our wifi
    "Do you have a password or something at home you need to use? Its working fine with our system"
    'No, its not HOME wifi, its our little thingy'
    "What thingy?"
    she pulls out a hot spot 'Its not working with this'
    "did you contact verizon about it?"
    'No because the Ipad is broken.'
    "I don't think it is, let me mess with it a bit. Whats the password for the hotspot?"
    'password? The thing on the bottom?'
    "No thats its IP address, whats the password?"
    'Thats the password.'
    I know where this is going "Ok I'll give it a shot" of course that doesn't work.
    'See the Ipad is broken'
    "Actually its not even turning on all the way. I'm pretty sure its either bit the dust or the password is wrong"
    'No thats our password and it works fine. The Ipad is broken'
    "Mam, please, theres a verizon store around the corner, please just take this to them and I'm sure they will work it out"

She left VERY angry, but I knew the thing wasn't broken and I didn't want us to have to eat the cost of a 128 gig Ipad 2 just for the new one to have the same issue.
    The lady came back about an hour later, and waited, very angrily looking, while I finished up with a customer.
    "I just got back from the verizon store. I wanted to let you know that you were right, I forgot the password for the hotspot. It works great now."
    'Oh uh...thanks.'

That took some class on her part.

CreaganVivixenneVegemyteKochikensDarth Waitercabsydarunia106AnialosAngelinaWuShockCalica
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh and one time my ex-roommate answered the door when some morman missionaries were knocking. He'd fallen asleep on the couch and wasn't all there. He passed out in his robe, with nothing else on.

To apologize for them having to see his massive massive dong he went to morman church for a month and let everyone know how great those guys were.

CreaganRhesus PositivePoorochondriacMysstdarunia106JoolanderDesert Leviathan
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Oh, how about some forum classiness?

One time @Chincymcchilla‌ and I got into a tiff about religion, and about one of my comments coming off as offensive. We took it to PMs to quit crappin' up a thread, which in a lot of previous experience means, "Now I'm just getting yelled at in private." But Chincy was really cool about everything, and we found common ground and apologized to each other, and it was great.

I sometimes get snippier and snarkier than I'd like when my blood gets hot and/or I feel like I'm being misconstrued, and it was cool of him to pursue a loaded topic out of the public eye and let cooler heads prevail. And then he even spoke up in the thread of origin to talk about how we'd worked through it and everything was cool.

It was classy in the main.

BucketmanCreaganDysVivixenneVegemyteChincymcchillaVeldrinHacksawcabsydarunia106mageormikeAnialosAngelinaHermanoJoolanderXaquinWuShockPeter EbelCalicadestroyah87
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    When I was a florist in an affluent area I got a lot rude customers, not all, but they could be rather demanding. I can't remember fully now, but an old woman was yelling at my colleague and I because someone had sent her white flowers. White and green was a very popular choice, no doubt it would have been an expensive arrangement, and that was the colours the customer who ordered it chose. The recipient was angry, she hated those colours, and demanded them swapped. Has it not been several days after she had first received them, or she not been so rude, we may have, but we can't send out something the customer didn't ask for.

After she left a man who'd come in halfway through her yelling at us (our response was very calm, cool, collected - we're used to it) said he was gobsmacked. This was a guy who was quite well off and had never worked in retail I think, and he was shocked, and shocked by our calmness. So he ordered more than he intended to, praised out skill, and tipped us £17.50 between us "for you two, not the till, for having to put up with that".

I'd only received a tip twice before that in my years, and no more than 50p, its not a custom here. I was very surprised and touched by it. That was classy of him and it stuck with me.

VivixenneVegemyteRhesus PositiveVeldrinDarth WaitercabsyBucketmanAnialosAngelinaSkeithHermanoXaquinWuShockCalica
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Our house is situated along a road that leads into a national forest, and we used to very occasionally get hunters or skiers with vehicle trouble and whatnot.

One autumn a man showed up at our door and said we'd helped him a few months prior, I forget how exactly. But he wanted to show his appreciation, and so he gave us a quarter of the elk he'd shot that year, butchered and wrapped.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Donovan PuppyfuckergodmodejgeisVeldrinDarth WaitertynicHacksawcabsymageormikeBucketmanAnialosSkeithKaplarHermanoJoolanderXaquinWuShockCalicaNija
    edited January 2015
    I once told a client's mum that I had to discuss their case with the team before I could give them responsible advice about how we could proceed with treatment.

She was super unhappy about the wait and started screaming at me down the phone. She called me a few choice names, the c-word included, and hung up on me. It was all pretty intense and I was quite shocked because she'd always been calm and pleasant to me before.

2 hours later I get a phone call from her and she apologized to me. She said that she was glad I was taking steps to make sure I did my job properly rather than make a bad call just to placate her, and how she regretted yelling at me when I was just doing my job. I said I understood (and I did, this family had a lot going on), and she thanked me and looked forward to hearing back from me.

That definitely endeared her to me. I kinda try to remember how good it felt to be apologized to, even though I wouldn't have needed one to keep working with her.

Vivixenne on
    Donovan PuppyfuckerVegemyteVeldrinDarth WaiterCreaganBucketmanAnialosHermanoAngelinaWuShockCalica
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Oh, how about some forum classiness?

One time @Chincymcchilla‌ and I got into a tiff about religion, and about one of my comments coming off as offensive. We took it to PMs to quit crappin' up a thread, which in a lot of previous experience means, "Now I'm just getting yelled at in private." But Chincy was really cool about everything, and we found common ground and apologized to each other, and it was great.

I sometimes get snippier and snarkier than I'd like when my blood gets hot and/or I feel like I'm being misconstrued, and it was cool of him to pursue a loaded topic out of the public eye and let cooler heads prevail. And then he even spoke up in the thread of origin to talk about how we'd worked through it and everything was cool.

It was classy in the main.

Thanks, man

I would mention @dubh, @hullis, @I needed a gnome to post.‌, @Fearghaill‌, @Wyborn, and a bunch of other people on the forums in a similar vein of being totally ready and willing to have tense discussions but be totally cordial about it for the most part

Everybody gets upset and mad about things from time to time but most people here handle themselves super well over multiple conversations and do their best to make talking to them fun and informative

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    UnbrokenEvaVeldrinBucketman
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I do a lot of telemarketing for my clients. On at least one occasion people have started the conversation grouchy that I called them, then realised that it was going to be pertinent, booked a followup call/meeting and then apologised for their initial grouchiness.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    When I had to live in Miami for a year, I was walking three blocks to my car, and I passed behind a Subway, and there was a bum digging in their dumpster for sandwich stuff to eat. I only had a twenty dollar bill in my pocket until payday, which was a few days away. I walked by, and almost made it to my car before the guilt got to me. I had to walk back and give it to him. Regardless of what he did with it, I made peace with myself.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Darth WaiterHermano
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I have done some classy things but then I think if I tell people about having been classy then I am not being classy because then I'm just fishing for attention so I never tell them.

They are my classy secrets.
    no judgment on anyone else telling their classiness BTW; this is a thing specific to myself

Calica
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I see classy whenever I hang out with the forumers from Perth.

Uh

That's all I got right now

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I try to tip people when I go out or order something in or whatever.

I try to pay attention to tips ahead of me if I'm waiting in line at a coffee place, so I can increase mine if other people aren't.

I don't know if that's classy or crazy.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    I try to tip people when I go out or order something in or whatever.

I try to pay attention to tips ahead of me if I'm waiting in line at a coffee place, so I can increase mine if other people aren't.

I don't know if that's classy or crazy.

it can be two things!

BedlamDis'
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I have one that is kind of bragging on how awesome Ms. Chilla is, but also something super classy

So, after college, ms chilla took a job that was supposed to be an entry level accounting position for a small, privately owned textile company in a small town 4 hours from me. It didn't pay great, but she wasn't required to get her CPA right away and we weren't quite ready to move in together so she took it.

It turned out that what she actually ended up doing was procurement and logistics for the entire company. She worked her absolute ass off and never gave 50% just because she was making a nominal hourly wage. Sometimes she wished she'd done something else, but she really gave it her all.

Two years later, she gave her two weeks to move cross-state and move in with me. They begged her to stay and let her work from home. After another 6 months, they sold the company. The purchasing company wanted to keep her but didn't have a spot for telework, so they parted ways.

Over christmas, Ms. Chilla got to see her old boss and some co-workers. They all exchanged Christmas cards and she came home.

The card she got from her boss/the former owner turned out to be a long letter talking about how valuable she had been and how grateful he was. At the bottom: 'We literally would have folded without you, and could not have been half as successful without you. Thank you so much."

And a check for several thousand dollars.

That is the classiest thing I've seen in the past few years.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    FyndirLuvTheMonkeyMagic PinkRhesus PositivePoorochondriacDarth WaitertynicKyouguVivixenneHacksawJoeUservalhalla130RainfallDysDarkPrimusCreaganDonovan PuppyfuckerLabelNocrenAnialosOut Of ContextSkeithRear Admiral ChocoKaplarAngelinaKochikensJoolanderEvigilantWuShockFishmanCalicaRawkking GoodguyNijadestroyah87
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    My stories are also more the classiness of my wife.

She belongs to a Facebook group of women who met through an infertility website and were finally able to conceive. One year, a pair of sisters who lived down south together with their kids were struggling financially. We sent each kid like 30 Starwars figures from my collection (which truthfully needed to be weeded out) for Christmas to put under the tree from Santa.

This year, one of the members had paid to bring in the grandparents for Hanukkah but they cancelled on them at the last minute. Their little girl was absolutely devastated. A bunch of the members sent her cards, and my wife had me paint a little 8x10 Pikachu for her since she was a huge Pokemon fan. We're actually shipping it out this weekend and I'm super excited to see her reaction.

Darth WaiterPsykomaChincymcchillaJoeUserBucketmanAnialosVeldrinWuShockCalica
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Never once in my life, either one

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I helped a dude latch his minivan hatch down on my way into home depot

he probably woulda had it soon anyway but whatever

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I got two stories about people being extremely classy to me.

Quick background: I'm part of a pretty large circle of friends..like 20 to 30 people who I consider really great friends and see constantly. This is due to most of us meeting through a group in Meetup.com. We were all slightly awkward in our own ways, most new to the city and not knowing anyone so we sorta become this large makeshift family.

I ended up taking over the Meetup group a few years ago and kinda defaulted into the "leader" of the group. I plan the events for it, and go out of my way to be extra friendly to any new people and try to make them feel welcomed into the group. Sometimes it can be a bit of a hassle organizing and always being on, but I genuinely enjoy meeting new people and friends.

Last year, after a particularly stressful happy hour (Place lost our reservation, new member was bitchy because I didn't respond to her texts about parking quick enough, etc) a friend set up a "Kyougu Appreciation night". Just a night where we went out drinking, people bought me drinks, another drove me there to make sure I didn't have to worry about that, and I was throughly thanked for everything I did for the group. Thought that was super classy.

Then this Christmas I got a Amazon gift card from a friend, again, just to thank me for everything I did and what not.

Always really nice when people show you're appreciated.

Darth WaiterCalica
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    One time I gave a bouncer 10 bucks to let me and my friends in but another bouncer turned us away five minutes later

So the first bouncer gave me my bribe back

Rhesus PositiveDarth Waiterph blakeHacksawBucketmanknitdanAnialosSkeithJoolanderKharnorDesert LeviathanCalica