As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game of the year 2014 poll

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Some of these Vita game names make me fear for humanity

A game was released this year about running up to people on the street and ripping all their clothes off against their will

Because, you see, you're looking for vampires and if they're exposed to the sun they'll die

Reminds me of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 Pumaman experiment

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Wyborn

Wyborn

It's better than mother 3

Why would you recommend a game to me and then frame it so that my experience of it will be weighed against one of my favorite games ever made

If I had ended up playing it I would have gone in without expectations but now it's going to end up getting compared to the only piece of media that ever made me really lose it

dN0T6ur.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Like Citizen Kane...

6F32U1X.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    no game has made me constantly go 'wow, they thought long and hard about how to convey the writing in this game' more than krz

Speed Racerchiasaur11
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I don't think the nemesis system worked for me in mordor.

My Nemesis was just.... some orc I had seen once?

I guess I killed/dominated too many. It was still a fun game though. The plot was just dumb as fuuuuuuuuuuck

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    The "nemesis" part of the nemesis system is not the part that matters

6F32U1X.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Accidentally put all the games I played on the list the first time, but saw the "played, and liked" line just before confirming so I went back and took off the couple games I hated.

It was lucky I did because going through the games list a second time I realized I had overlooked Roundabout on there the first time.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    What's a Mother 3

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Wyborn

Wyborn

It's better than mother 3

Why would you recommend a game to me and then frame it so that my experience of it will be weighed against one of my favorite games ever made

If I had ended up playing it I would have gone in without expectations but now it's going to end up getting compared to the only piece of media that ever made me really lose it

Because I'm saying that it compares extremely favorably to that piece of media

Because I'm trying to make it clear that this isn't something to I don't know check out some time maybe if you feel like it

It's something that you need to get cracking on posthaste

chiasaur11
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    What's a Mother 3

sequel to earthbound (which was called mother 2 in japan, mother 1 was on nes)

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    You voted for:
    1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (WiiU)
    2. Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC, PS3, PS4, X360, XBO)
    3. Bravely Default (3DS)
    4. Bayonetta 2 (WiiU)
    5. The Wolf Among Us (PS4, PSVita, XBO, PC, PS3, X360)
    6. Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
    7. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)
    8. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (WiiU)
    9. Hyrule Warriors (WiiU)
    10. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (3DS)
    11. Dark Souls II (PS3, X360, PC)
    12. Mario Golf: World Tour (3DS)
    13. The Legend of Korra (PS3, PS4, PC, X360, XBO)
    14. The Uncle Who Works For Nintendo (PC)
    15. The Evil Within (PC, PS3, PS4, X360, XBO)

My list as of time of submission. Evil Within and DKC:TF probably belong higher but I haven't played all the way through either of them.

DA:I was a lot of fun even though I had a lot of problems with the design.

Also this was another Hell of a year for Nintendo.

dN0T6ur.png
    What the hell is an Earthbound

What the fuck are video games

trash

6F32U1X.png
    WeedLordVegeta
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls isn't on the list?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    If Evil Within even makes it onto the list at all I'm swearing off vidjima games forever.

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    If Evil Within even makes it onto the list at all I'm swearing off vidjima games forever.

My experience with it thus far is basically

'huh there's some horror stuff AND NOW THE CITY IS COLLAPSING OKAY WHAT THE HELL'

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

My experience with it thus far is basically

'huh there's some horror stuff AND NOW THE CITY IS COLLAPSING OKAY WHAT THE HELL'

Mne was "Why is the camera glued to my back. I can't see anything. There's something chasing me? Some fat guy? Fat guys aren't scary. Oh now I'm dead."

Repeat 120 times and then I uninstalled it.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    You voted for:
    1. Bayonetta 2 (WiiU)
    2. The Wolf Among Us (PS4, PSVita, XBO, PC, PS3, X360)
    3. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (3DS)
    4. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC, PS3, PS4, X360, XBO)
    5. Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
    6. South Park: The Stick of Truth (PC, PS3, X360)
    7. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (WiiU)
    8. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (WiiU)
    9. Endless Legend (PC)
    10. Shovel Knight (WiiU, 3DS, PC)
    11. Far Cry 4 (PC, PS3, PS4, X360, XBO)
    12. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PC, PS3, PS4, X360, XBO)
    13. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (WiiU)
    14. Assassin's Creed Unity (PC, PS4, XBO)
    15. Bravely Default (3DS)
    16. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
    17. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)
    18. Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (PC, PS4, XBO)
    19. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (3DS)
    20. Mario Golf: World Tour (3DS)

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    hrm.

my top 10 games of 2014 are also my bottom 10 games of 2014

I only played 10 new games in 2014

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    gtrmp
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Looking through the list and figuring out which games I've played makes me realize one thing. GodDAMN I played a lot of WoW this year.

And I get why Reaper of Souls and Warlords of Draenor may not be on that list, but they both have absorbed WAY more of my time than anything else this year.

Gonna make Dragon Age my GOTY though because I'm completely hooked at the moment.

Visskar
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I forgot to include DA:I in my list of games released and played just so I could do a count but it wouldn't have made my top 20 anyways

apparently I played almost 40 games released this year.

zkHcp.jpg
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I played less than 15 new games, most of which were big budget releases.

I bought some more but they're still in my backlog.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    1. Dragon Age: Inquisition
    2. Mario Kart 8
    3. The Wolf Among Us

that's all of them

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Divinity: Original Sin (PC)
    Mount Your Friends (PC)
    Age of Wonders III (PC)
    Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions (PS3, PS4, X360, XBO, PC)

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (PS4, PS3)
    Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
    Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (WiiU)
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (PC, iOS)
    Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PC, PS4, XBO, PS3, X360)
    Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PC, PS3, PS4, X360, XBO)
    Bayonetta 2 (WiiU)
    Drawful (PC, PS4, PS3)
    Nidhogg (PC, PS4, PSVita)
    Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (3DS)
    Bravely Default (3DS)
    Fibbage (PC, PS4, PS3)
    Civilization: Beyond Earth (PC)
    Mount Your Friends (PC)
    Towerfall Ascension (PC, PS4)
    FIFA 15 (PC, PS3, PS4, X360, XBO, Wii, PSVita, 3DS, Droid, XBO)

I didn't get enough time with nidhogg and bayonetta yet to rank them higher but I have high hopes. I also want to play Divinity and Endless Legend

and Curtain Call

and Kentucky Route Zero

and...

sirtoons.png
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Look if you're thinking of putting CivBE on your list you may as well just cross it off and put Endless Legend several slots higher.

Even if you haven't played it, that's just how it is.

broken image link
    Magic Pink
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    hrm.

my top 10 games of 2014 are also my bottom 10 games of 2014

I only played 10 new games in 2014

I only played 7 :(

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    If I had fixed my pc in 2014, I'd probably have put 300 hours more into Crusader Kings 2. It's the game of the year in my heart.

VayBJ4e.png
    Look if you're thinking of putting CivBE on your list you may as well just cross it off and put Endless Legend several slots higher.

Even if you haven't played it, that's just how it is.
    But i never hear anyone talk about its multiplayer. And for all bes shortcomings Istill got some kicks out of its mp.

sirtoons.png
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Wolf Among Us 4 lyfe

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I could only find 3 games I played on the list, but I know more than that were released this year. that said none of them were good and wouldn't be on the list anyway.

endless legend has multiplayer. we just need to get on it and start up some games.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah the whole nemesis system for Mordor is cool but as kind of a side thing, maybe

Honestly it felt less compelling when it became obvious they utilized it to make replay value

This year felt like kind of a weak year for new games, honestly. There are a few gems, but quantity-wise, it's lacking

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    @Mr_Grinch‌ Why was D3 Reaper of Souls not on there, or am I blind?

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    because it's still pretty much diablo 3, which was already voted on

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    So, felt less sure of my list than last year. But I did play some games. And I liked most of them. So here is a list. Reverse order, no numbers listed as part of a protest against the corrupt anti-threeve lobby.

Mercenary Kings (PC, PS4)

Eh. Just eh. The spritework is nice, and I liked the idea of custom weapons, but man. It's kinda a grind.

A Bird Story (PC)
    Decent enough, I suppose. But I went in expecting more "To The Moon" and that was just some unfair expectations.

Mario Cars 2: 64 (PC)
    I fell into the infinite void thanks to a glitch as a monotone voice told me that "No-One wins at Mario Cars".

I'm pretty sure I unlocked the True Ending.

The Uncle Who Works For Nintendo (PC)
    I know that it's become something of a thing among people I prefer not to associate with to call Twine stuff "Barely a game". That said, I kinda understand it with stuff more like CYOA novels than, say, gamebooks. That said, it was an entertaining enough semi-game, with a nice basic premise and a clever little final ending. Worth throwing a few minutes at.

Mighty Gunvolt (3DS)
    Not great, but for a free little dashed off thing to play in spare minutes, not bad. I had fun. Also it was fun to see 8-4 invoke the spirit of classic NES translations that weren't River City Ransom. I'm still not sure what the plot was. I mean, if there was one.

Here And There Along The Echo (PC, Telephone)
    Leave it to Cardboard Computer to make a phone tree so interesting. Crazy little thing. I'd probably have ranked it a little higher if I played it on an actual phone, and I'm sure I'll think more of it once the next KRZ comes out and ties in, but even as is, it's a remarkable little slice of something.

Jazzpunk (PC)
    Grabbed it on Crate and Crowbar's recommendation, and I wasn't disappointed. Lots of gags, more hits than misses, and I won at a virtua-boy version of tennis by grabbing a lawn chair and beating my opponent senseless. You can't put a price on that kind of satisfaction. But they did. It's fifteen dollars. Which seems fair, really. I don't know why I said you couldn't put a price on it.

The Legend of Korra (PS3, PS4, PC, X360, XBO)
    Not my favorite platinum brawler this year (It went up against Revengeance. Sorry, Korra. It just wasn't a fight you could win), but a solid dose of their traditional polished style. Deep core combat, some nice flash, and what little writing you got was generally alright. Not an all time classic, but alright enough if you're looking to punch some dudes, especially as a discount release.

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (3DS)
    If it wasn't for the Wii U version, it would place much higher. We'll always have Smash Run. We didn't have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.

Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)
    Cute as a dickens, plenty of play modes, and generally a great way to pass the time. Didn't quite get 100%, but well into the 90s will have to do. The true boss rush can go fuck itself.

Bravely Default (3DS)
    A classic Jurp, like they never stopped making 'em. More final fantasy than a lot of Final Fantasies, and Wyborn's right. Tiz is well into the mega-bauers in sheer pragmatism. Also suffering. The music's good, the graphics are charming, the writing has some real moments, and the base combat system is amazing. Overstays its welcome a bit, but if it didn't, well, the top of the list is crowded enough as is.

Earth Defense Force 2025 (PS3, X360)
    EDF! EDF! EDF!

Kentucky Route Zero Act III (PC)
    Speed is probably planning to flay me alive for putting it so low, but I had to follow my heart. And my heart said that, while KRZ as a whole is definitely #1 material, and this is the best chapter yet, I want to delay giving Cardboard Computer the prize until they're done. Make 'em stay hungry. Make 'em work for it. Seriously, Wyborn. You need to try it. It's amazing.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut (PC)
    Well, I heard good things. But it was shadowrun, and Shadowrun has elves. Fortunately, the game took note of my good taste and avoided giving you any elven party members. A soul deadened cyborg, six foot something of heavily armored troll, a former punk rock frontman, and a fuckup hacker (well, two, counting my PC. Named him Conway, after both of the obvious inspirations) make for a much better team. A solid RPG with rudimentary tactical combat, just enough feedback for your decisions, and fun writing was just what I needed this year.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (WiiU)
    A ton of interesting new characters and the orders giving you on demand event matches made up for the dull classic mode, awful board game mode, and return of 75m. Looks great, plays great, and the online is good enough to work with. Which means playing with you guys. Which is fun.

I think, looking back, that I can agree that 2014 was a bit of a wet fart of a year, gamewise, but there were still some real winners. And no year with more KRZ is a total loss.

(Wolfenstein would have made the list if I played it to any real degree in '14, but I can't say where exactly until I beat it.)

Mercenary Kings would've been so good if it would've been possible to Men In Black-style erase the entire dev team's knowledge of Monster Hunter

6F32U1X.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I really liked Mercenary Kings, for awhile it was in my opinion, the best ps4 game. It definitely didn't stay there, but I really did enjoy it.

VayBJ4e.png
    Magic Pink
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Buying Dragon Age Inquisition made me realize how much I horribly hate Origin

The application itself is fine, but the fact that i have Mass Effect 1 and 2 on steam, because that was what you did if you wanted it on PC, but with the third game that's obviously not possible. Same with Origins, and 2 and 3. Though I guess it also means the actual application is also really shitty, because when I thought you could just treat it as a non-steam game and add it to your steam library, just for the sake of good organization, you can't do that either without doing dumb back-end workarounds, since EA doesn't want you to be able to launch games outside of its own GUI

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    @Mr_Grinch‌ Why was D3 Reaper of Souls not on there, or am I blind?

It was initially , iirc convincing arguments were put forth to remove it (we stuck loosely by the rules mcc had, every game gets one shot).

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Because Diablo is garbage

Mr Fuzzbutt