As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Virginia: North enough to be hated by the South and South enough to be hated by the North

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Ed Gillespie, thy nickname is "speed bump".

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Fuck off Donald Virginia hates you and your team of nipple shits

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    4 out of 4 House seats? VA has 11 districts?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

The best way to inspire loyalty is to avoid all responsibility and throw people under the bus.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

The special elections

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »

The special elections

To replace Cabinet members in hard right seats that saw Republican support collapse, just not collapsing enough.

Moral victories never taste as sweet as this.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Thoughts and prayers for Barbara Comstock.

:D

Rumor is that she and her people are panicking. Sounds like tonight's result just swept out a bunch of local elected republicans that they wanted to use in their campaign infrastructure for next year. I wonder if she'll be someone to watch on tax reform because I'm pretty sure this forces her into a far more difficult position to treat upon, if she decides to run again (always possible she decides to retire).

Big take away stuff so far going into future elections. This puts the democrats in a better position to start building up a team for higher offices. It also eats into the GOP's war chest going forward because any guy they had that lost or any open seat they couldn't retain, is a seat they can use to boost their campaigns elsewhere (not just in VA, but nationwide). Also with the pickups, the Democrats will be in a much better position to be in control of the House of Delegates after 2019. Granted with Northam and Fairfax winning tonight, the GOP is forced to abandon any ideas of gerrymandering VA's electoral college to benefit them in 2020.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh please, if Gillespie had embraced Trump any harder he would have suffocated him.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Oh please, if Gillespie had embraced Trump any harder he would have suffocated him.

But he failed, hence his date with a Greyhound.

• Options
    Tucker Carlson calling VA for Northam:

Huh. So that's what schadenfreude sounds like.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Gillespie was the gop test run for whether moderate Republicans can win by best adding some racism to their platform. Fuck off with that shit.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Sister lives in very conservative mountain VA. Apparently there were three candidates for board of supervisors who were all "no taxes, ever." They all lost. She's stoked.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I mean he never actually appeared with Trump, it's not totally inaccurate.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Gonna be close
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Gillespie was the gop test run for whether moderate Republicans can win by best adding some racism to their platform. Fuck off with that shit.

Some really open blatant racism anyway

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    holy fucking shit i feel like i just let out a year’s worth of stale breath

i am super fucking proud of my state right now

gonna sleep well tonight and get back to work on the next step tomorrow with wind in my fucking sails

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Another happy story from VA:

Alec MacGillis is a writer for ProPublica.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    CBS Reporter

Alt-right's already turned on Gillespie too. Trump can't fail, he can only be failed.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    I'm glad Northam won and that it seems to be a D down ticket sweep, but house of delegates? Can....can I hope?

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    Evigilant wrote: »
    I'm glad Northam won and that it seems to be a D down ticket sweep, but house of delegates? Can....can I hope?

Yes Santa Claus there is a Virginia

(I mean there's a decent chance)

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It's an odd year election too...

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    CBS Reporter

Alt-right's already turned on Gillespie too. Trump can't fail, he can only be failed.

[sarcasm]Yeah he wasn't bigoted enough.[/sarcasm]

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options

The whip (and projected majority leader) lost too

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Oh man. After those special elections, clicking "last" on these threads gives me a tiny rush.

It definitely feels nice to finally append a "YEAH" to the customary "FUCK"

Hooray VA!

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    http://results.elections.virginia.gov/vaelections/2017 November General/Site/Statewide.html

Official state wide counts.

Remember NoVA is notoriously later than a lot of the rest of VA. If patterns hold Republicans will have a big early lead that collapses as the North comes in.

Edit:

Also absentee totals in the site are 180,000. Which is a decent amount for an off year.
    Some of the referendums off of that link are weird.

I particularly liked "Sale of Mixed Alcoholic Beverages (FRANKLIN COUNTY)" which won by over 50 points! I mean, that's due to small sample size (69-22), but it still counts! Also, the people of Wise County got rid of Sunday restrictions on booze purchases. So yay for alcoholism?

I'm surprised that some fairly hefty bond measures for schooling were determined by incredibly small numbers of total voters. Pulaski County, $47M passed, with barely 10K voters total. Falls Church $120M (rejected) and Lee County $47M (rejected), both with less than that. That's a lot of potential money being swung by a small voter base. At least with similar referendums in Fairfax and Loudoun there were 100K+ voters.

MorganV on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Just FYI

<snip, tweet about Dem voters getting calls intentionally misinforming them that their polling place having changed

Isn't it just amazing that nearly every fucking time we see this it's oddly Democratic voters being targeted with the misinformation?

Such an odd, inexplicable coincidence that no one should ever look into.
    How this shit isn't chased down in the hunt for "voter fraud", shows just how partisan this bullshit is. I mean, we knew that already, but it puts it in stark relief.

Removing someone from the voter rolls for having the same or similar name to that of a convicted felon? Protection against voter fraud.
    Requiring stringent ID requirements that disproportionately disenfranchise people of one party? Protection against voter fraud.
    Investigating people intentionally trying to tamper with an election results via turnout manipulation? Meh. Whatever. That's not important.

Fuck off, you partisan hacks.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    CBS Reporter

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Judd Legum is the founder and editor-in-chief of ThinkProgress, a news site based at the Center for American Progress.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    it looks like the Dillwyn, VA, town council is going to manage to retain their seats after not a single member filed paperwork in time to be on the ballot

Virginia.gov Dillwyn Election Results

there was literally no one on their ballots and all four were write-in candidates

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    If only there were a way for the gop to energize its base and try to save as much face as humanly possible going into the next year.... and here comes the impeachment talks.

Just You Watch.

your patience will be rewarded.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited November 2017

VA House Dems supports the party that picked up 16 seats so far in the HoD

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

The fundraising never ends

lol though on the $17 suggested donation. $17 for a 17 member sweep and a HoD majority. Cute.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

Goodness, a tie in the Virginia house. The size of the Democratic vote to achieve that must be a swing which would turn Alabama blue! Ha, I kept on saying that the elephant in the room for Trump was that 2016, where he lost the popular vote by millions, and they lost seats in the house and Senate was a republican wave election. Just that their base is small enough now that it was still a tight race. If we can get a democratic wave in 2018 and the republican one fades, we could be looking at a truly amazing situation.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ibk6k4m2dd9l.png

OneVirginia is a non-profit promoting redistricting reform in the Commonwealth

this swing is yuge for undoing the gerrymandering fuckery Republicans threw down after 2010

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    If only there were a way for the gop to energize its base and try to save as much face as humanly possible going into the next year.... and here comes the impeachment talks.

Just You Watch.

The GOP is in a VERY bad spot right now. If they actively distance themselves from Trump, they fire up the base that already hates them and risk losing in a primary. But if they stay aligned with Trump, they risk losing in the general.

I wish I could say I pity them, but......you fuckers dug your own graves, now you sit in them, you fuckers.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    to be fair though, we were saying this the weeks before the 2016 election and ....

great start, lets keep it up!

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    to be fair though, we were saying this the weeks before the 2016 election and ....

cautious optimism, though a significant difference between now and last year is the populace at large has seen Trump actually holding office and what that has meant and what that has stirred up

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

cautious optimism, though a significant difference between now and last year is the populace at large has seen Trump actually holding office and what that has meant and what that has stirred up

I like Ezra Klein's description of why it all blew up in Gillespie's face

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/7/16621994/ed-gillespie-ralph-northam-va-gov-trump
    The reason, I suspect, is that Bannon had it exactly backward. The age of Trumpism without Trump isn’t ahead of us. It’s behind us, at least for now. Trumpism without Trump was possible before Trump was president. It might be possible after he’s president. It’s not possible while he’s president.

In 2016, Trump had the advantage of being a true outsider: He had no record to answer for, no unemployment rate to explain, no votes to justify. For all his oddities and eccentricities, he was a blank slate — a businessman to those who wanted a businessman, a culture warrior to those who wanted a culture warrior, a pragmatist to those who wanted a pragmatist, a conservative to those who wanted a conservative, and so on. He was theory severed from practice; “ism” without the reality check of is.

But now we have Trumpism with Trump, and the American people don’t much like it. Trump is no longer an abstraction, Trumpism no longer an idea. Instead, we are watching the real thing: a White House in chaos, a legislative agenda in shambles, a world in which nuclear war is likelier and America’s global leadership is diminished. Trump isn’t merely unpopular; he is less popular than any president at this point in their term since the advent of modern polling, and he is that unpopular even though the economy is growing and Americans are not dying in large numbers overseas.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Just You Watch.

The GOP is in a VERY bad spot right now. If they actively distance themselves from Trump, they fire up the base that already hates them and risk losing in a primary. But if they stay aligned with Trump, they risk losing in the general.

I wish I could say I pity them, but......you fuckers dug your own graves, now you sit in them, you fuckers.

They dug them, and they're now balancing on a tightrope high above them. The national GOP has been artificially staving off the demographic shift with their redistricting. If Dems are allowed to redraw the lines and breakup their strongholds, not to mention create new strongholds of their own, that's potebtially going to be a long hard fall.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I was reading about some of the other races, like for lieutenant governor. Saw the pictures of the candidates, thought, "wait they seem familiar" and remembered this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSHWSqYK7OQ&amp;feature=youtu.be

There's so much terrible crap that it's hard to remember everything, hold all that awfulness in mind, but I guess Virginia voters did, and kept out the racist reactionary. Good for Fairfax, and good for Virginia.