Virginia: North enough to be hated by the South and South enough to be hated by the North

1414244464753

Posts

  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Yeah, I never had to do an emissions test before moving to CA.

    It's a regular thing in Illinois after your car passes a certain age. That's it, though, not roadworthiness. Though I'm sure they'll point out anything blatantly obvious like a broke taillight.

    Yeah, same here - when I first arrived in the state, I had to get a full inspection and an emissions test. I think it's every other year after 10 years, and I'm sure at some point it'll go to every year.

    Of course, we're driving the ICE rarely enough at this point that I might be getting close to "not in active use" which would waive it.


    In VA news, expect the NRA to start bitching because the legislature is headnodding towards gun control.

    https://www.nbc12.com/2020/01/10/virginia-lawmakers-set-vote-capitol-gun-ban/
    Virginia lawmakers have voted to ban firearms at the state Capitol, the first in what's expected to be many contentious gun votes in coming weeks.

    Newly empowered Democrats in the General Assembly voted Friday to ban guns at the Capitol and a legislative office building, saying the move was needed to protect public safety.

    Republicans have voiced opposition to such a ban and some GOP lawmakers routinely carry guns into the Capitol.

    jdarksunMayabird
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    There used to be a group of Confederate flag-waving whackadoodles I would see on the regular out by the VMFA, which I drive by on my way home from work almost every single weekday

    Ever since Rumors of War was put up I have not seen them once, and I'm going to go ahead and correlate those two things in my head as a victory against the old, backwards elements of Richmond culture

    ChanusBlackDragon480JragghenGennenalyse RuebenTNTrooperMorganVTicaldfjamRMS OceanicElvenshaebrynhrtmnmiscellaneousinsanityEvigilantMvrck
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    With the new Assembly, you all should push your Reps to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. It won't singlehandedly put things over the top like the ERA vote might, but it's a good stab at the Electoral College all the same. With no good argument against.

    ExtreaminatusFryFencingsaxRMS OceanicMillElvenshaejdarksunshrykeQuid
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Speaking of stuff with the new Assembly.

    Democrats advance Equal Rights Amendment in Virginia General Assembly committee
    The full House is set to vote on the ERA on Wednesday. The Senate, which has approved the amendment for the past several years, also passed the bill out of committee on Tuesday and will take it up on Wednesday on the floor.

    And the other big thing:
    Four firearms bills advance in Virginia’s newly gun-free Capitol
    The bills now headed for the full Senate would require background checks on all firearms purchases, allow law enforcement to temporarily remove guns from individuals deemed a risk to themselves or others, let localities ban weapons from certain events and government buildings, and cap handgun purchases at one per month.

    Elections have consequences. Big ones.

    03x29di.png
    Stabbity StyleFencingsaxKayne Red RobeRMS OceanicMartini_PhilosopherMillMorganVElvenshaeChanusExtreaminatusJragghenMoridin889jdarksunshrykeGennenalyse RuebenQuidCantidoMvrckMatevIncenjucarzepherin
  • WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to figure out who, beside people selling on the black market, are buying more than one handgun a month.

  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to figure out who, beside people selling on the black market, are buying more than one handgun a month.

    I don't know the specifics but I could see buying more than one in a single month. Stuff like a big gun show coming into town or whatever. If it is somehow written to mean "average one a month" than yeah, I'm fully on board. Even if it is strictly one a calendar month the gun industry would adapt and the FFL holders would just store the gun for a month before transferring it.

    Fake Edit: Doing some googling and concealed carry permit holders are exempt from the one a month rule as well. Which seems fine. Want to buy that many guns? Go through the vetting process to prove you're trustworthy. Especially since it looks like the permitting process is basically a gimmie.

  • MillMill Registered User regular
    edited January 14
    Funny thing, is the one hand gun a month law was repealed in the early 2000s IIRC as one of the first things the GOP did when they got back into power. It's pretty damn stupid because it was passed originally as a response to a study that showed that gun runners were going to VA to get there handguns to sell up north in states like New York. It also had exceptions that allowed people that had legitimate reasons to buy more than one handgun a month to do so. The repeals is a very good argument for both not electing republicans and for calling the NRA a criminal organization because both groups decided profits were more important than preventing unneeded deaths.

    Edit: It dawns on me, the one handgun a month bill is going to be the one that will make a ton of these gun sanctuary shitheads have to walk their shit back real quick. Figure someone asshole will ignore the law sell beyond the limit to people that don't meet the exception, while their shithead shitspewing republican sheriff (we really need to stop electing sheriffs) refuses to do anything. Then they get arrested by the state and some of their buyer get caught. Further investigation ends up showing their buyers that didn't meet the exceptions were people knowingly selling firearms to gangs. Further investigation will also show that at least one of those gangs killed someone since the law got passed. It'll be fun watching the NRA and the GOP get the shit kicked out of them over it, when it does happen and it likely will.

    Mill on
    MazzyxElvenshaeFencingsax
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    This is all the kind of thing that's actually common sense to do

    I'm still not jazzed about the threat of an AWB but all these laws are pretty well and good even for hobby, competitive, and sport shooters

    ElvenshaeFencingsax
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Yeah, I never had to do an emissions test before moving to CA.

    It's a regular thing in Illinois after your car passes a certain age. That's it, though, not roadworthiness. Though I'm sure they'll point out anything blatantly obvious like a broke taillight.

    Weird, it is yearly in MA for all cars, but the emissions part is for cars under 15 years (which will then have onboard diagnosis tests).

    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Yeah, I never had to do an emissions test before moving to CA.

    It's a regular thing in Illinois after your car passes a certain age. That's it, though, not roadworthiness. Though I'm sure they'll point out anything blatantly obvious like a broke taillight.

    Weird, it is yearly in MA for all cars, but the emissions part is for cars under 15 years (which will then have onboard diagnosis tests).

    I'd be more worried about the emissions from a '92 Ford Taurus than a 2017 Camry.

    ElvenshaejmcdonaldFencingsaxBlackDragon480Moridin889Ketar
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Yeah, I never had to do an emissions test before moving to CA.

    It's a regular thing in Illinois after your car passes a certain age. That's it, though, not roadworthiness. Though I'm sure they'll point out anything blatantly obvious like a broke taillight.

    Weird, it is yearly in MA for all cars, but the emissions part is for cars under 15 years (which will then have onboard diagnosis tests).

    I'd be more worried about the emissions from a '92 Ford Taurus than a 2017 Camry.

    Think the issue is that 2017 Camry can self report on emissions while the '92 Ford can't. Something something making every garage buy hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment tends to not go over well.

  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Yeah, I never had to do an emissions test before moving to CA.

    It's a regular thing in Illinois after your car passes a certain age. That's it, though, not roadworthiness. Though I'm sure they'll point out anything blatantly obvious like a broke taillight.

    Weird, it is yearly in MA for all cars, but the emissions part is for cars under 15 years (which will then have onboard diagnosis tests).

    I'd be more worried about the emissions from a '92 Ford Taurus than a 2017 Camry.

    Think the issue is that 2017 Camry can self report on emissions while the '92 Ford can't. Something something making every garage buy hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment tends to not go over well.

    In Colorado everyone but the newest cars/hybrids get emissions test about every year to other year.

    The test are performed at state testing facilities which are basically giant car treadmills and stuff they hook into your exhaust to measure. This is basically how I always had it done till moving out East.

    03x29di.png
    monikerTNTrooperKetar
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The Trump OLC issued a memo saying that Virginia's ratification wouldn't count because it was outside the window Congress set, so neener neener. They issued this like the week before the VA legislature convened.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    The Trump OLC issued a memo saying that Virginia's ratification wouldn't count because it was outside the window Congress set, so neener neener. They issued this like the week before the VA legislature convened.

    i think we're also challenging the time limit in the courts

    someone is for sure but i think Herring is signed on if not putting the challenge forward

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    monikerMillCantido
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    The Trump OLC issued a memo saying that Virginia's ratification wouldn't count because it was outside the window Congress set, so neener neener. They issued this like the week before the VA legislature convened.

    i think we're also challenging the time limit in the courts

    someone is for sure but i think Herring is signed on if not putting the challenge forward

    Herring said he is willing to go forward.

    The constitution has no limit on how long it takes to ratify and that was added by Congress for this amendment specifically.

    03x29di.png
    ChanusPreacherExtreaminatusmonikerFencingsaxMortal SkyElvenshaeMillMoridin889jdarksunKayne Red RobeshrykeQuid
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    The Trump OLC issued a memo saying that Virginia's ratification wouldn't count because it was outside the window Congress set, so neener neener. They issued this like the week before the VA legislature convened.

    i think we're also challenging the time limit in the courts

    someone is for sure but i think Herring is signed on if not putting the challenge forward

    Herring said he is willing to go forward.

    The constitution has no limit on how long it takes to ratify and that was added by Congress for this amendment specifically.

    Also, while they'll do it (because Republicans have become the party of ratfuckers), it's probably one of the more stupid things to defend being against.

    "So, why don't you believe in equal rights for women?"

    Sure, some part of their base is all in for that shit, and some parts of their base understand the nuanced argument of their position, but as has been covered before, if you're explaining, you're losing.

    And on this issue, if you're not explaining, you're losing too.

  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Yeah, I never had to do an emissions test before moving to CA.

    It's a regular thing in Illinois after your car passes a certain age. That's it, though, not roadworthiness. Though I'm sure they'll point out anything blatantly obvious like a broke taillight.

    Weird, it is yearly in MA for all cars, but the emissions part is for cars under 15 years (which will then have onboard diagnosis tests).

    I'd be more worried about the emissions from a '92 Ford Taurus than a 2017 Camry.

    Think the issue is that 2017 Camry can self report on emissions while the '92 Ford can't. Something something making every garage buy hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment tends to not go over well.

    In Colorado everyone but the newest cars/hybrids get emissions test about every year to other year.

    The test are performed at state testing facilities which are basically giant car treadmills and stuff they hook into your exhaust to measure. This is basically how I always had it done till moving out East.

    This is what is like in AZ every 2 years when you need to renew your tags you have to go to an emission center ran by the state or with their permission and I think they just tell you to get bent if you show up with a check engine light on so get that fixed first.

    steam_sig.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    I lived in Florida back before it got taken over by the Tea Party assholes, and it had emissions inspections. Then the state got taken over by the proto-Tea Party and repealed the emissions law because "the air is already great here", so now it no longer has emissions inspections.

    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    Not unexpected but we ratified the ERA this afternoon. Now the legal fight begins.

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    monikerKayne Red RobeRMS OceanicshrykechrisnlTNTrooperFryAimStabbity StyleInfamyDeferredjdarksunMortal SkyFencingsaxBlackDragon480JragghenMayabirdDoodmannRozGnizmoMorganVGONG-00PreacherEvigilantElvenshaeMoridin889ArdolLabelGennenalyse RuebenRanlinQuidMartini_PhilosopherTicaldfjamMvrckGiantGeek2020MrVyngaardbrynhrtmn
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Welp.
    Fearing potential violence, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is declaring a state of emergency and banning firearms and other weapons on the capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun-rights demonstration planned for next week.

    "We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Welp.
    Fearing potential violence, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is declaring a state of emergency and banning firearms and other weapons on the capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun-rights demonstration planned for next week.

    "We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

    Nothing says 'responsible gun owner' like "malicious plans" for a gun-rights demonstration.

    ElvenshaeMoridin889Gennenalyse RuebenChanusMartini_PhilosopherMrVyngaard
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Richland, WARegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Welp.
    Fearing potential violence, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is declaring a state of emergency and banning firearms and other weapons on the capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun-rights demonstration planned for next week.

    "We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

    Nothing says 'responsible gun owner' like "malicious plans" for a gun-rights demonstration.

    Anyone carrying at a protest should have their guns confiscated and be banned from ever owning a gun again. The only reason to bring a gun to a protest is to intimidate and to kill.

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    MrVyngaard
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Welp.
    Fearing potential violence, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is declaring a state of emergency and banning firearms and other weapons on the capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun-rights demonstration planned for next week.

    "We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

    Nothing says 'responsible gun owner' like "malicious plans" for a gun-rights demonstration.

    Anyone carrying at a protest should have their guns confiscated and be banned from ever owning a gun again. The only reason to bring a gun to a protest is to intimidate and to kill.

    At the very least, anyone brandishing (or worse) a firearm at a protest should be charged with terrorism offenses, in addition to any relevant gun crimes.

    MrVyngaard
  • LanzLanz Registered User regular
    http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/01/virginia-in-state-of-emergency-for-richmond-pro-gun-rally.html
    On Wednesday afternoon, Virginia Governor Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency in anticipation of “Lobby Day,” a pro-gun rally at the state capitol in Richmond which has attracted the attention of far-right agitators. According to the executive order, Virginia pro-gun groups and outside protestors threatening violence intend to “storm” the state capital to rail against recent gun control legislation. “The available information suggests that a substantial number of these demonstrators are expected to come from outside [Virginia], may be armed, and have as their purpose not peaceful assembly but violence, rioting, and insurrection,” Northam’s order states.
    The dissent is expected to come to a head at Monday’s Lobby Day, organized by the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Though the gun rights group has made a (limited) effort to reduce the tension by encouraging protestors to leave their long guns at home, far-right actors outside the state are reportedly planning to flock to Richmond this weekend. (Promoting the event online, they delighted in the opportunity for “boogaloo,” a far-right term for violence that could spark revolution.) According to the Daily Beast, at least four notable attendees of the Unite the Right rally will be at the Richmond demonstration. One of them, Joshua Shoaff has urged his Facebook audience of 540,000 to join him at the Virginia capitol:



    UUUUH

    What

    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    A guess. A combination of the common reference of a fight being a dance and then continuing on to take from the meme breaking 2: electric boogaloo wherein every sequel has electric boogaloo stuck to the end of it.

    This we have “Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo” which is just shortened to boogaloo

    wbBv3fj.png
    Zibblsnrt
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Welp.
    Fearing potential violence, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is declaring a state of emergency and banning firearms and other weapons on the capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun-rights demonstration planned for next week.

    "We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

    Nothing says 'responsible gun owner' like "malicious plans" for a gun-rights demonstration.

    Anyone carrying at a protest should have their guns confiscated and be banned from ever owning a gun again. The only reason to bring a gun to a protest is to intimidate and to kill.

    At the very least, anyone brandishing (or worse) a firearm at a protest should be charged with terrorism offenses, in addition to any relevant gun crimes.

    Brandishing is only a misdemeanor in VA, sadly. It's only a felony if on or near a school.

    steam_sig.png
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Welp.
    Fearing potential violence, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is declaring a state of emergency and banning firearms and other weapons on the capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun-rights demonstration planned for next week.

    "We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

    Nothing says 'responsible gun owner' like "malicious plans" for a gun-rights demonstration.

    Anyone carrying at a protest should have their guns confiscated and be banned from ever owning a gun again. The only reason to bring a gun to a protest is to intimidate and to kill.

    At the very least, anyone brandishing (or worse) a firearm at a protest should be charged with terrorism offenses, in addition to any relevant gun crimes.

    As if the state can't be lying about "credible intelligence" only when you agree with the state's policy preference.

    NamrokDavid WalgasMeeqeFrankiedarling
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 16
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Welp.
    Fearing potential violence, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is declaring a state of emergency and banning firearms and other weapons on the capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun-rights demonstration planned for next week.

    "We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

    Nothing says 'responsible gun owner' like "malicious plans" for a gun-rights demonstration.

    Anyone carrying at a protest should have their guns confiscated and be banned from ever owning a gun again. The only reason to bring a gun to a protest is to intimidate and to kill.

    At the very least, anyone brandishing (or worse) a firearm at a protest should be charged with terrorism offenses, in addition to any relevant gun crimes.

    As if the state can't be lying about "credible intelligence" only when you agree with the state's policy preference.

    Joshua Shoaff, known asshole on his facebook:
    “I hope to see you personally on Lobby Day, because I would love nothing more than to tell you to your face that you’re a coward, you’re a tyrant, committing treason,” Shoaff said in a December livestream. “And as a good friend of mine said just a few minutes ago, treason is punishable by death. I’m not telling you that I’m going to kill you, I’m telling you that your acts constitute treason, and the punishment for treason is hanging in the middle of the street.

    This is credible intelligence, isnt it? A literal public statement?

    edit:
    In another interview:
    “If you think that our founders were against hanging tyrants, then you really need to study, bro.”

    DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Welp.
    Fearing potential violence, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is declaring a state of emergency and banning firearms and other weapons on the capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun-rights demonstration planned for next week.

    "We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

    Nothing says 'responsible gun owner' like "malicious plans" for a gun-rights demonstration.

    Anyone carrying at a protest should have their guns confiscated and be banned from ever owning a gun again. The only reason to bring a gun to a protest is to intimidate and to kill.

    At the very least, anyone brandishing (or worse) a firearm at a protest should be charged with terrorism offenses, in addition to any relevant gun crimes.

    As if the state can't be lying about "credible intelligence" only when you agree with the state's policy preference.

    I mean, all of the people I know already had assumed this would happen

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 16
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Welp.
    Fearing potential violence, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is declaring a state of emergency and banning firearms and other weapons on the capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun-rights demonstration planned for next week.

    "We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

    Nothing says 'responsible gun owner' like "malicious plans" for a gun-rights demonstration.

    Anyone carrying at a protest should have their guns confiscated and be banned from ever owning a gun again. The only reason to bring a gun to a protest is to intimidate and to kill.

    At the very least, anyone brandishing (or worse) a firearm at a protest should be charged with terrorism offenses, in addition to any relevant gun crimes.

    As if the state can't be lying about "credible intelligence" only when you agree with the state's policy preference.

    Joshua Shoaff, known asshole on his facebook:
    “I hope to see you personally on Lobby Day, because I would love nothing more than to tell you to your face that you’re a coward, you’re a tyrant, committing treason,” Shoaff said in a December livestream. “And as a good friend of mine said just a few minutes ago, treason is punishable by death. I’m not telling you that I’m going to kill you, I’m telling you that your acts constitute treason, and the punishment for treason is hanging in the middle of the street.

    This is credible intelligence, isnt it? A literal public statement?

    No more than the Ayatollah calling for Death to America and calling America the Great Satan is.

    Frankly, this is the equivalent of taking that and Unexpected Jihad memes and calling them "credible intelligence of a threat".

    My point being that people who would otherwise question the state talking about "credible intelligence of a threat" based on political opposition aren't in this case because it is political opposition you disagree with.

    NSDFRand on
    Frankiedarling
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Welp.
    Fearing potential violence, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is declaring a state of emergency and banning firearms and other weapons on the capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun-rights demonstration planned for next week.

    "We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

    Nothing says 'responsible gun owner' like "malicious plans" for a gun-rights demonstration.

    Anyone carrying at a protest should have their guns confiscated and be banned from ever owning a gun again. The only reason to bring a gun to a protest is to intimidate and to kill.

    At the very least, anyone brandishing (or worse) a firearm at a protest should be charged with terrorism offenses, in addition to any relevant gun crimes.

    As if the state can't be lying about "credible intelligence" only when you agree with the state's policy preference.

    Joshua Shoaff, known asshole on his facebook:
    “I hope to see you personally on Lobby Day, because I would love nothing more than to tell you to your face that you’re a coward, you’re a tyrant, committing treason,” Shoaff said in a December livestream. “And as a good friend of mine said just a few minutes ago, treason is punishable by death. I’m not telling you that I’m going to kill you, I’m telling you that your acts constitute treason, and the punishment for treason is hanging in the middle of the street.

    This is credible intelligence, isnt it? A literal public statement?

    No more than the Ayatollah calling for Death to America and calling America the Great Satan is.

    Frankly, this is the equivalent of taking that and Unexpected Jihad memes and calling them "credible intelligence of a threat".

    He's referring to a specific day and event in which he is riling up a bunch of toxic people to show up. Just like in 2017. You know, where a right wing terrorist drove a car into a bunch of people murdering one, another guy shot a gun indiscriminately into a crowd, and a bunch of dumbasses marched around with tiki torches screaming 'jews will not replace us'. I hear they weren't serious either and just jokesters. So we should ignore him hitting the dinner bell this time, huh?

    steam_sig.png
    jdarksunSyphonBlueMoridin889Zibblsnrt
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 16
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Welp.
    Fearing potential violence, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is declaring a state of emergency and banning firearms and other weapons on the capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun-rights demonstration planned for next week.

    "We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

    Nothing says 'responsible gun owner' like "malicious plans" for a gun-rights demonstration.

    Anyone carrying at a protest should have their guns confiscated and be banned from ever owning a gun again. The only reason to bring a gun to a protest is to intimidate and to kill.

    At the very least, anyone brandishing (or worse) a firearm at a protest should be charged with terrorism offenses, in addition to any relevant gun crimes.

    As if the state can't be lying about "credible intelligence" only when you agree with the state's policy preference.

    Joshua Shoaff, known asshole on his facebook:
    “I hope to see you personally on Lobby Day, because I would love nothing more than to tell you to your face that you’re a coward, you’re a tyrant, committing treason,” Shoaff said in a December livestream. “And as a good friend of mine said just a few minutes ago, treason is punishable by death. I’m not telling you that I’m going to kill you, I’m telling you that your acts constitute treason, and the punishment for treason is hanging in the middle of the street.

    This is credible intelligence, isnt it? A literal public statement?

    No more than the Ayatollah calling for Death to America and calling America the Great Satan is.

    Frankly, this is the equivalent of taking that and Unexpected Jihad memes and calling them "credible intelligence of a threat".

    He's referring to a specific day and event in which he is riling up a bunch of toxic people to show up. Just like in 2017. You know, where a right wing terrorist drove a car into a bunch of people murdering one, another guy shot a gun indiscriminately into a crowd, and a bunch of dumbasses marched around with tiki torches screaming 'jews will not replace us'. I hear they weren't serious either and just jokesters. So we should ignore him hitting the dinner bell this time, huh?

    Clearly the answer is that we should blindly trust the state when the state claims there is a "credible threat" because of a protest against infringement of a civil liberty and cheer on the police when they crack heads because we disagree with the politics of the protesters.

    NSDFRand on
    NamrokFrankiedarling
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Welp.
    Fearing potential violence, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is declaring a state of emergency and banning firearms and other weapons on the capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun-rights demonstration planned for next week.

    "We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

    Nothing says 'responsible gun owner' like "malicious plans" for a gun-rights demonstration.

    Anyone carrying at a protest should have their guns confiscated and be banned from ever owning a gun again. The only reason to bring a gun to a protest is to intimidate and to kill.

    At the very least, anyone brandishing (or worse) a firearm at a protest should be charged with terrorism offenses, in addition to any relevant gun crimes.

    As if the state can't be lying about "credible intelligence" only when you agree with the state's policy preference.

    Joshua Shoaff, known asshole on his facebook:
    “I hope to see you personally on Lobby Day, because I would love nothing more than to tell you to your face that you’re a coward, you’re a tyrant, committing treason,” Shoaff said in a December livestream. “And as a good friend of mine said just a few minutes ago, treason is punishable by death. I’m not telling you that I’m going to kill you, I’m telling you that your acts constitute treason, and the punishment for treason is hanging in the middle of the street.

    This is credible intelligence, isnt it? A literal public statement?

    No more than the Ayatollah calling for Death to America and calling America the Great Satan is.

    Frankly, this is the equivalent of taking that and Unexpected Jihad memes and calling them "credible intelligence of a threat".

    He's referring to a specific day and event in which he is riling up a bunch of toxic people to show up. Just like in 2017. You know, where a right wing terrorist drove a car into a bunch of people murdering one, another guy shot a gun indiscriminately into a crowd, and a bunch of dumbasses marched around with tiki torches screaming 'jews will not replace us'. I hear they weren't serious either and just jokesters. So we should ignore him hitting the dinner bell this time, huh?

    Clearly the answer is that we should blindly trust the state when the state claims there is a "credible threat" because of a protest against infringement of a civil liberty and cheer on the police when they crack heads because we disagree with the politics of the protesters.

    The public comments he has made are a credible threat, this has nothing to do with trusting the state that they have evidence.

    steam_sig.png
    FencingsaxGennenalyse RuebenjmcdonaldNobodyQuidjdarksunSyphonBlueMartini_PhilosopherStabbity StyleAngelHedgieQanamilZibblsnrtMrVyngaardMatev
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 16
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Welp.
    Fearing potential violence, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is declaring a state of emergency and banning firearms and other weapons on the capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun-rights demonstration planned for next week.

    "We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

    Nothing says 'responsible gun owner' like "malicious plans" for a gun-rights demonstration.

    Anyone carrying at a protest should have their guns confiscated and be banned from ever owning a gun again. The only reason to bring a gun to a protest is to intimidate and to kill.

    At the very least, anyone brandishing (or worse) a firearm at a protest should be charged with terrorism offenses, in addition to any relevant gun crimes.

    As if the state can't be lying about "credible intelligence" only when you agree with the state's policy preference.

    Joshua Shoaff, known asshole on his facebook:
    “I hope to see you personally on Lobby Day, because I would love nothing more than to tell you to your face that you’re a coward, you’re a tyrant, committing treason,” Shoaff said in a December livestream. “And as a good friend of mine said just a few minutes ago, treason is punishable by death. I’m not telling you that I’m going to kill you, I’m telling you that your acts constitute treason, and the punishment for treason is hanging in the middle of the street.

    This is credible intelligence, isnt it? A literal public statement?

    No more than the Ayatollah calling for Death to America and calling America the Great Satan is.

    Frankly, this is the equivalent of taking that and Unexpected Jihad memes and calling them "credible intelligence of a threat".

    He's referring to a specific day and event in which he is riling up a bunch of toxic people to show up. Just like in 2017. You know, where a right wing terrorist drove a car into a bunch of people murdering one, another guy shot a gun indiscriminately into a crowd, and a bunch of dumbasses marched around with tiki torches screaming 'jews will not replace us'. I hear they weren't serious either and just jokesters. So we should ignore him hitting the dinner bell this time, huh?

    Clearly the answer is that we should blindly trust the state when the state claims there is a "credible threat" because of a protest against infringement of a civil liberty and cheer on the police when they crack heads because we disagree with the politics of the protesters.

    The public comments he has made are a credible threat, this has nothing to do with trusting the state that they have evidence.

    What this is, is the state poisoning the well for political opposition. Period. If the political opposition was based on any other constitutionally protected activity or right you would recognize it for what it is.

    NSDFRand on
    Frankiedarling
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Welp.
    Fearing potential violence, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is declaring a state of emergency and banning firearms and other weapons on the capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun-rights demonstration planned for next week.

    "We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

    Nothing says 'responsible gun owner' like "malicious plans" for a gun-rights demonstration.

    Anyone carrying at a protest should have their guns confiscated and be banned from ever owning a gun again. The only reason to bring a gun to a protest is to intimidate and to kill.

    At the very least, anyone brandishing (or worse) a firearm at a protest should be charged with terrorism offenses, in addition to any relevant gun crimes.

    As if the state can't be lying about "credible intelligence" only when you agree with the state's policy preference.

    Joshua Shoaff, known asshole on his facebook:
    “I hope to see you personally on Lobby Day, because I would love nothing more than to tell you to your face that you’re a coward, you’re a tyrant, committing treason,” Shoaff said in a December livestream. “And as a good friend of mine said just a few minutes ago, treason is punishable by death. I’m not telling you that I’m going to kill you, I’m telling you that your acts constitute treason, and the punishment for treason is hanging in the middle of the street.

    This is credible intelligence, isnt it? A literal public statement?

    No more than the Ayatollah calling for Death to America and calling America the Great Satan is.

    Frankly, this is the equivalent of taking that and Unexpected Jihad memes and calling them "credible intelligence of a threat".

    He's referring to a specific day and event in which he is riling up a bunch of toxic people to show up. Just like in 2017. You know, where a right wing terrorist drove a car into a bunch of people murdering one, another guy shot a gun indiscriminately into a crowd, and a bunch of dumbasses marched around with tiki torches screaming 'jews will not replace us'. I hear they weren't serious either and just jokesters. So we should ignore him hitting the dinner bell this time, huh?

    Clearly the answer is that we should blindly trust the state when the state claims there is a "credible threat" because of a protest against infringement of a civil liberty and cheer on the police when they crack heads because we disagree with the politics of the protesters.

    The public comments he has made are a credible threat, this has nothing to do with trusting the state that they have evidence.

    What this is, is the state poisoning the well for political opposition. Period. If the political opposition was based on any other constitutionally protected activity or right you would recognize it for what it is.

    I feel like if, say, Occupy Wall Street or some other protest group was posting about killing people, hanging them in the street, and bringing lots of guns into a government building, I would be ok with enhanced police presence on that specific day and time to deter that shit.

    Gennenalyse RuebenForarKetarFencingsaxElvenshaejmcdonaldMazzyxNobodyQuidjdarksunGnizmoshrykeXaquinMorganVmonikerBlackDragon480GONG-00SyphonBlueMartini_PhilosopherStabbity StyleMonwynAimVishNubMoridin889JragghenQanamilTNTrooperMillZibblsnrtArdoliTunesIsEvilGiantGeek2020MatevIncenjucar
  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    edited January 16
    If women marching in support of the ERA were talking about bringing guns to their rallies and killing (totally not killing) government officials, then yeah, I would say an increased law enforcement presence and a ban on bringing weapons to the rally would be warranted.

    The 2nd Amendment doesn't protect anyone's right to threaten violence.

    Chanus on
    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    ForarFencingsaxjmcdonaldFryQuidExtreaminatusjdarksunGnizmoshrykeMorganVBlackDragon480monikerSyphonBlueMartini_PhilosopherAngelHedgieAimMoridin889PreacherQanamilTNTrooperMillZibblsnrtArdolschussGennenalyse RuebenMvrckiTunesIsEvilBigJoeMGiantGeek2020MatevIncenjucar
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »

    What this is, is the state poisoning the well for political opposition. Period. If the political opposition was based on any other constitutionally protected activity or right you would recognize it for what it is.

    Uh, no... this is the State saying you can come and voice your political opposition, just don't do it armed. That's dangerous and a threat to public safety. Especially when a number of actors saying they want to voice their opposition already have a history of doing dangerous things.

    As MorganV said, it should already be a "thing" that guns are not allowed at a political protests.

    The conversation is completely different if one side is armed. And if the other side arms themselves in response... then you have a powder keg.

    You do not need a gun to make your point in a protest. If you do.. then maybe you need to reconsider what you are protesting.

    ChanusKetarFencingsaxForarMazzyxFryNobodyQuidjdarksunGnizmoshrykeMorganVAegismonikerBlackDragon480Martini_PhilosopherStabbity StyleAngelHedgieAimTNTrooperMillArdolGennenalyse RuebeniTunesIsEvilMatev
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 16
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Welp.
    Fearing potential violence, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is declaring a state of emergency and banning firearms and other weapons on the capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun-rights demonstration planned for next week.

    "We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

    Nothing says 'responsible gun owner' like "malicious plans" for a gun-rights demonstration.

    Anyone carrying at a protest should have their guns confiscated and be banned from ever owning a gun again. The only reason to bring a gun to a protest is to intimidate and to kill.

    At the very least, anyone brandishing (or worse) a firearm at a protest should be charged with terrorism offenses, in addition to any relevant gun crimes.

    As if the state can't be lying about "credible intelligence" only when you agree with the state's policy preference.

    Joshua Shoaff, known asshole on his facebook:
    “I hope to see you personally on Lobby Day, because I would love nothing more than to tell you to your face that you’re a coward, you’re a tyrant, committing treason,” Shoaff said in a December livestream. “And as a good friend of mine said just a few minutes ago, treason is punishable by death. I’m not telling you that I’m going to kill you, I’m telling you that your acts constitute treason, and the punishment for treason is hanging in the middle of the street.

    This is credible intelligence, isnt it? A literal public statement?

    No more than the Ayatollah calling for Death to America and calling America the Great Satan is.

    Frankly, this is the equivalent of taking that and Unexpected Jihad memes and calling them "credible intelligence of a threat".

    My point being that people who would otherwise question the state talking about "credible intelligence of a threat" based on political opposition aren't in this case because it is political opposition you disagree with.

    No, in this case it's because this happened two years ago.
    0zai6xotti5t.jpg

    Accompanied by an increase in right wing domestic terrorism generally over the past decade.

    moniker on
    QuidjdarksunSyphonBlueMartini_PhilosophershrykePreacherTNTrooperMillMazzyxZibblsnrtArdolGennenalyse RuebeniTunesIsEvil
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 16
    Selner wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »

    What this is, is the state poisoning the well for political opposition. Period. If the political opposition was based on any other constitutionally protected activity or right you would recognize it for what it is.

    Uh, no... this is the State saying you can come and voice your political opposition, just don't do it armed. That's dangerous and a threat to public safety. Especially when a number of actors saying they want to voice their opposition already have a history of doing dangerous things.

    As MorganV said, it should already be a "thing" that guns are not allowed at a political protests.

    The conversation is completely different if one side is armed. And if the other side arms themselves in response... then you have a powder keg.

    You do not need a gun to make your point in a protest. If you do.. then maybe you need to reconsider what you are protesting.

    Uh, yes... It is the state poisoning the well. They know statists will clutch their pearls because it's the scary pro-2A people coming to protest if they create the narrative that everyone who shows up to the protest is planning violence.

    NSDFRand on
  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    edited January 16
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Selner wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »

    What this is, is the state poisoning the well for political opposition. Period. If the political opposition was based on any other constitutionally protected activity or right you would recognize it for what it is.

    Uh, no... this is the State saying you can come and voice your political opposition, just don't do it armed. That's dangerous and a threat to public safety. Especially when a number of actors saying they want to voice their opposition already have a history of doing dangerous things.

    As MorganV said, it should already be a "thing" that guns are not allowed at a political protests.

    The conversation is completely different if one side is armed. And if the other side arms themselves in response... then you have a powder keg.

    You do not need a gun to make your point in a protest. If you do.. then maybe you need to reconsider what you are protesting.

    Uh, yes... It is the state poisoning the well. They know statists will clutch their pearls because it's the scary pro-2A people coming to protest if they create the narrative that everyone who shows up to the protest is planning violence.

    pro-2A people have literally said they are planning violence

    Chanus on
    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    monikerBlackDragon480QuidjdarksunXaquinSyphonBlueMartini_PhilosopherElvenshaeForarKayne Red RobeCaptain CarrotStabbity StylejmcdonaldFryAngelHedgieMorganVAimMoridin889shrykePreacherTNTrooperMillMazzyxZibblsnrtArdolFencingsaxExtreaminatusGnizmoGennenalyse RuebenMvrckiTunesIsEvilBigJoeMRedTideMrVyngaardMatevIncenjucar
Sign In or Register to comment.