As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Virginia: North enough to be hated by the South and South enough to be hated by the North

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Senate passed SB240 establishing the ability to remove firearms from those posing a substantial risk of harm to themselves or others

Does it have any specific language around domestic violence? That's one of the best indicators and even California seemed squeamish about specifying.

i dunno and i'm at work so can't read it but

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+sum+SB240

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Senate passed SB240 establishing the ability to remove firearms from those posing a substantial risk of harm to themselves or others

Does it have any specific language around domestic violence? That's one of the best indicators and even California seemed squeamish about specifying.

i dunno and i'm at work so can't read it but

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+sum+SB240

It just says that a police officer or attorney for the commonwealth can apply for a protective order if a person poses “substantial risk to themselves or others”. I don’t see any specific litmus test or advisory regarding previous convictions or anything. If approved, police come and take their guns for a while and they aren’t allowed to have guns until the order is rescinded or completed. Looks like it maxes out at 180 days.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

This is the red flag law, so it's more an emergency short term removal procedure.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

Can we establish that anyone who says "You can take my guns from my cold dead hands!" Is a substantial risk?

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Can we establish that anyone who says "You can take my guns from my cold dead hands!" Is a substantial risk?

I'd rather just say "Ok."

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

This piece puts a lot of my feelings about the gun rally stuff into well-written words. (we've also gone over some of this ground ourselves here) It's a good read, check it out! Or don't, if you don't want to!

Gets into some of the broader topics:
    But even with the Base threat—which was thoroughly ignored by right-wing media—neutralized, it seems myopic at best to describe the Monday event as “peaceful.” There was, it was true, an absence of immediate bloodshed; but what abounded, in that armed and insurrectionist sea of humanity, was the promise that bloodshed might happen at any time, should the will of the mob be thwarted. America’s exceptional tolerance towards armed white gunmen—its brooking of gun-toting militias around the country, and the po-faced seriousness with which the media takes claims of “freedom” when it comes to the right to own weapons of mass slaughter—is entirely restricted to this demographic.
    The rally was, as one attendee put it to Vice reporter Tess Owen, intended to be “a show of force.” Not the force of popular will, nor the force of solidarity, but the kind of force that comes packed into magazines, with barrels cocked, effigies hung in nooses, white skulls etched on black masks. It was a force that silenced others who sought to raise their voices, and was meant to. Monday was a day of a clenched fist raised in menace; rather than be lulled by the temporary absence of bloodshed, Americans would do better to be poised for the inevitable falling of the blow.

as well as the local effects
    The effects on locals amounted to a sweeping petrification. Due to Monday’s event, Richmond natives closed their businesses downtown—from a 7-11 near the Capitol to a barbershop to the entirety of Virginia Commonwealth University, which suspended all activities for the day, including internships and clinical placements; a university statement made clear that this was in response to the threat, not the federal holiday. NBC reported that some residents of Jackson Ward, a historically black neighborhood in the city, left town entirely for the day—which was Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
    The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, a group that had hosted a Martin Luther King Jr. Day event in Richmond for 28 years, canceled its vigil. “Advocates have faced armed individuals trying to intimidate us each year,” wrote the group’s president, Lori Haas, in a press release. “But this year is different; we have received information that heavily armed white supremacists will be seeking to incite violence, and our organization has decided that the safety of our volunteers, advocates, and staff, many of whom are survivors of gun violence, must be our top priority.”

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

"Here, have some candy."

Link, since that's probably an obscure SCP reference that will only make sense to me.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-330

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

In the words of the Bug from Men In Black

Your proposal is acceptable.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    SB 715 establishing a $10/mo TANF benefit for menstrual products has been moved back to the Finance Committee after being unanimously reported by the Rehab and Social Services committee which means a step closer to a vote

another Jennifer MacClellan joint

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Trump gives his opinion on the new Virginia gun laws:
    "I think it’s crazy, and I think Virginia is crazy," the president said. "They want to take away the guns in Virginia. You have a governor that’s -- I just can’t believe it -- but Virginia’s very much in play. I think we’re going to win the state of Virginia."

"They want to take everyone’s gun away in Virginia. You can’t do it. You can’t do it," he said. "People need that for safety. They need it for hunting and other -- but many people need it for safety. They need it for security."

"They’re playing with our Second Amendment," Trump continued. "Frankly, they’d get rid of it. I watched [Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam] on an interview. He would get rid of the Second Amendment if it was up to him, and you have many Democrats saying the same thing."

"They’re saying it quietly, but if they win these elections, they’re going to try and get rid of the Second Amendment. It will never happen as long as I’m here," he added.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    "I think it’s crazy, and I think Virginia is crazy," the president said. "They want to take away the guns in Virginia. You have a governor that’s -- I just can’t believe it -- but Virginia’s very much in play. I think we’re going to win the state of Virginia."

"They want to take everyone’s gun away in Virginia. You can’t do it. You can’t do it," he said. "People need that for safety. They need it for hunting and other -- but many people need it for safety. They need it for security."

"They’re playing with our Second Amendment," Trump continued. "Frankly, they’d get rid of it. I watched [Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam] on an interview. He would get rid of the Second Amendment if it was up to him, and you have many Democrats saying the same thing."

"They’re saying it quietly, but if they win these elections, they’re going to try and get rid of the Second Amendment. It will never happen as long as I’m here," he added.

Of all the things Trump is completely unqualified to comment on, gun control feels like it's at the top. That he's been willing to TWICE throw them under the bus, only to be talked off the ledge once, and Pelosi telling him to go fuck himself with regard impeachment, another.

Unlike most things he bleats on, this is purely a bargaining chip for him. He would absolutely repeal the 2nd Amendment without a second thought himself if he thought it'd guarantee a win in November.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I hate how gun ownership culture is one rooted in fear. :(

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    “I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time,” Trump said at a meeting with lawmakers on school safety and gun violence.

“Take the guns first, go through due process second,” Trump said

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    To be fair, expecting Trump to be consistent on an issue is like expecting your $1 lotto ticket to be a $1B winning ticket. You're only gonna get there via grandiose delusion

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

You LITERALLY just lost the state of Virginia.

3 months ago.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I hate how gun ownership culture is one rooted in fear. :(

I mean, that's basically the only argument gun advocates have for opposing gun control. Fear of the government or fear of the boogyman. Otherwise we'd have a licensing and registration system like most other first world countries.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Apropos of nothing, WND (formerly WorldNetDaily) is probably not one of the best places to get news from. You probably want to filter them out of whatever feeds you use:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/world-net-daily-wnd/

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Apropos of nothing, WND (formerly WorldNetDaily) is probably not one of the best places to get news from. You probably want to filter them out of whatever feeds you use:

It is probably one of the better places to get a feel for what the people on the conservative spectrum are reporting, without being completely lies.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    chrisnl wrote: »

It is probably one of the better places to get a feel for what the people on the conservative spectrum are reporting, without being completely lies.

Also, it was kinda under reported on regular news media (which kinda surprises me given how much the protest blew up) so took the link that looked less like a blog ran by Alex Jones.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Also, it was kinda under reported on regular news media (which kinda surprises me given how much the protest blew up) so took the link that looked less like a blog ran by Alex Jones.

WND is basically Alex Jones, content wise.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

WND is basically Alex Jones, content wise.

Write "less bad" instead, there's a link to the full interview on Fox Business video in the article.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    They know democrats will be pointing to trump and the republicans gutting social security and healthcare if they win in 2020, so this will be the scare tactic. Hey we might be taking away your healthcare and gutting benefits in order to give tax breaks to the rich, but the democrats are trying to take your guns!

Good news is hopefully in Virginia we can see democrats ignore this bullshit. Because they will say democrats are coming for your guns no matter what you do. They spent all of Obama’s term saying he was a step away from your gun locker. So fuck em. Pass the bills and watch how they cry wolf with nowhere to go because when you say the sky is falling there’s kind of nowhere to go rhetorically

Prohass on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    They've always thought the sky was falling, it's the entire theory why they went and got guns to begin with.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    If you find yourself not utterly domineering the other side for all eternity, throw a hissy fit and threaten to quit and leave.

That's what Jerry Falwell Jr. is doing, anyway. He can't get his way with the Virginia legislature anymore so he wants rural Virginia counties to leave and join West Virginia.

Though because it's always about the grift, a large if not the largest portion of these threats come from Northam's budget proposal which would block state tuition grants from online students. Liberty University primarily rolls in dough due to its enormous online student base.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Do they just not...see the irony?

I could care less if they get the fuck out as long as it's not into a 51st state for the extra senators.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

I could care less if they get the fuck out as long as it's not into a 51st state for the extra senators.

Neither Virginia nor West Virginia would agree to it, so it isn't happening.

• Options
    it is so unbelievably stupid and shortsighted

virginia invests a lot of money in its western and southwestern rural areas

do they imagine that will just keep happening?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    it is so unbelievably stupid and shortsighted

virginia invests a lot of money in its western and southwestern rural areas

do they imagine that will just keep happening?

Farms in Leave-voting areas of the UK asked if it would affect their EU subsidies.

Do not presume the consequences are fully comprehended until they actually happen, if even then.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I'm aware they're not leaving, but I wouldn't care if they did.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    It would be a darn shame if an evolving Virginia convinced the Junior Falwell to pack up his university and move out of state for redder pastures. A darn shame. *the barest hint of crocodile tears*

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Though because it's always about the grift, a large if not the largest portion of these threats come from Northam's budget proposal which would block state tuition grants from online students. Liberty University primarily rolls in dough due to its enormous online student base.

Yeah, this is actually a shitty move by Northam. Yes, Liberty may be abusing those grants, but online education is vital for non-traditional college students.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    It would be a darn shame if an evolving Virginia convinced the Junior Falwell to pack up his university and move out of state for redder pastures. A darn shame. *the barest hint of crocodile tears*

Mixed up BJU with Liberty

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Liberty University, Falwell's fiefdom, is in Lynchburg, Virginia, though it's not like there's much ideological difference between them and Bob Jones University in Greenville, South Carolina.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    In news that isn't the dumb leading the dumb, number of bills up to increase the minimum wage and create a fund for 12 weeks paid leave for workers

Looks like a lot of wrangling but it seems the base goal is try to get to a $15 minimum wage in Virginia by 2025 though the road to get there is bumpy. The other part is setting up a fund where both employers and employees pay a small amount of their salary that allows for up to 12 weeks of paid leave at 80% of ones salary for all workers. Which is a good start and would help a ton of folks.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Other important bills also going through the legislature are expanding abortion rights and repealing a bunch of the crap put in place to limit access to family planning care.

Virginia Democrats Advance Bills To Expand Abortion Access
    Democratic lawmakers in Virginia are targeting abortion restrictions established by Republicans over the last decade, pushing forward legislation that seeks to roll back those restrictions and expand access to the procedure in the state.

Democrats, who now control both legislative chambers and the governor's mansion for the first time in nearly three decades, expect to be able to strike numerous abortion restrictions, including the requirement for an ultrasound and a 24-hour waiting period before a woman can have the procedure.

Lawmakers in both the House of Delegates and state Senate have advanced parallel bills that would allow nurses and physician's assistants to perform abortions (currently, only physicians can perform abortions in Virginia). The legislation also would remove a mandate that clinics performing more than a few abortions per month meet hospital standards for their facilities.

Once again I am rather happy with this legislature and I am glad I voted for them and helped get them into office.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    If you find yourself not utterly domineering the other side for all eternity, throw a hissy fit and threaten to quit and leave.

That's what Jerry Falwell Jr. is doing, anyway. He can't get his way with the Virginia legislature anymore so he wants rural Virginia counties to leave and join West Virginia.

“If you’re not truly happy where you are, we stand with open arms to take you from Virginia or anywhere you may be,” Gov. Jim Justice said.

And Justice, who treated the press conference as a long infomercial for his state, said at one point that the offer to join West Virginia “extends to Maryland, it extends to California, it extends to anywhere and everywhere!”

Wonder if they're happy to take in, say, people fleeing violence from cartels.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

It's much easier to take them from their dead hands before they get cold and rigor sets in, just sayin'

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

West Virginia is actually probably okay with it - I think both houses of their legislature passed something saying they're good with it, and the governor was involved with the talk.

They're trying to argue that the statute which was passed during the Civil War didn't have an expiration period, so any county that wants to leave is still totes allowed. My guess is that any judiciary would require that the federal govt okay it (which they did during the civil war for obvious reasons, but right now they wouldn't, but if the Republicans take over the House again who the fuck even knows at this point).

• Options
    Senate passed the Reproductive Health Act (SB 733), repealing basically all the bullshit anti women's health and TRAP laws enacted by Republicans since basically McDonnell's administration

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Hey Virginia, whatever you're on, can Wisconsin have some?