As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Virginia: North enough to be hated by the South and South enough to be hated by the North

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The establishment have made their very unsurprising pick.

WTOP is a local news org ('Traffic and weather together on the 8s!")

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Eh, he was fine, but I think we need someone new.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Eh, he was fine, but I think we need someone new.

I don't know enough about Virginia to specify who fits the bill but I think 2021 is going to be a bad year in a lot of ways as the pandemic fades and we take toll of a likely economic disaster that likely won't be aided by a deadlocked Congress.

Whoever Virginians blame for this it's really important for the Democrats to not run someone who can have the state of affairs hung around their neck.

If they're going to do a retread I sure as shit hope that they can be separated from Northam and to a lesser extent Biden.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I think Democrats are pretty much guaranteed the statewide races at this point so I'm not worried about the general, but we can do so much better than Terry pls

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I think Democrats are pretty much guaranteed the statewide races at this point so I'm not worried about the general, but we can do so much better than Terry pls

NJ is bluer and elected Chris Christie in 2009 due to everything going to shit and Corzine being a Wall Street creature made him comedically easy to blame.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'm more worried about AG and House of Delegates. Even if everything stays shitty well into next year. Northam has been handling things pretty damn well and he isn't going to be on the ballot. Also things are pretty much dominant by the urban centers and a number of those have a high number o educated people. So the GOP is going to have a ton of trouble spinning things to be the democrats fault for a Governor and Lt. Governor win; especially, since chances are pretty good they'll have a Trumpist piece of shit like Cox on the ballot. Hell, they're might even be a ton of drama for the GOP, since Chase will throw a shitfit and probably rightfully point out that the convention was chosen to install Cox as the nominee and keep every other contender out. Shame she didn't stick with her independent bid plan, that garbage person probably could have gotten the party to split enough that it would outright sink GOP plans to well enough to win anything important.

All that said, the problem is interest in the lower races is likely to drop off. If the weaker democratic support isn't particularly happy with things, they might be less likely to turn out and that could be the difference between a democratic AG and democratic held HoD or having the republicans in control of either one.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

No election is guaranteed.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    VA has been solidly Blue for almost a decade now and it hasn't yet felt like a sure thing

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, VA Dems work their asses off to keep it up.

• Options
    knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    I struggle to see a path back to power for the GOP in the populous parts of the state, thankfully

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I feel like Mark Warner having a close call in 2014 is an indication of the low water mark for POPULAR Democrats, which demonstrates that nothing should be taken for granted, but that if engaged, state-wide seats should generally go Dem.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020

Richmond City Council has voted to rename the stretch of Jefferson Davis Highway that runs through the city to Richmond Highway

It's a very small portion of Route 1, that runs the length of the state from DC to NC, but hopefully it's just Step One and other localities will follow

NBC12 is the local Richmond NBC affiliate

Chanus on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Richmond City Council has voted to rename the stretch of Jefferson Davis Highway that runs through the city to Richmond Highway

It's a very small portion of Route 1, that runs the length of the state from DC to NC, but hopefully it's just Step One and other localities will follow

Alexandria did this a bit ago if I remember right.

https://www.alexandriava.gov/JeffersonDavisHighway

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

Alexandria did this a bit ago if I remember right.

https://www.alexandriava.gov/JeffersonDavisHighway

oh nice

i have no hope Spotsylvania will but you never know

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Virginia removes monument to treason from the Capital, to be replaced with statue of civil rights pioneer:
    When Barbara Johns was just 16 years old, she led a walkout at her high school to protest poor and unequal school conditions. The moment is one that many historians believe helped launch the desegregation movement in the US.
    Now, Johns -- who died in 1991 -- will be memorialized at the US Capitol, replacing Virginia's statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.
    By law, all states are allowed to donate two statues to the US Capitol for display around the building as part of the National Statuary Hall Collection, and they're able to replace existing statues through a process that involves the state's legislature and governor.
    The removal of the statue of Lee -- one of several statues around the Capitol depicting Confederate soldiers and officials -- is part of a larger trend of relegating symbols of the Confederacy, due to their racist nature.

In a statement, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam described the removal of Lee's statue as an "important step forward" for the state.
    "I look forward to seeing a trailblazing young woman of color represent Virginia in the U.S. Capitol, where visitors will learn about Barbara Johns' contributions to America and be empowered to create positive change in their communities just like she did," he said.
    It's not clear when the statue of Johns will be erected for display -- but Northam's office announced that the statue of Lee was removed from the US Capitol overnight on Sunday.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    So in VA news, State Senator Benton Chafin (SD-38 R) has died from covid. Haven't seen any mentioned of when a special election will be held for his seat. Not sure a democratic pickup is likely here.

In special election news, we had two today for House of Delegate seats that were vacated and democrats retained both seats, which is good because a loss of either one would have resulted in their committee numbers be decreased, even though they'd still be the majority. Also IMO would have given the GOP more possible room on gerrymandering fuckery.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    All my fellow Northern Virginians stay safe out there, and don't get caught in the Arlington / Alexandria curfew that I suspect is going to be in effect for a couple nights at least.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    All my fellow Northern Virginians stay safe out there, and don't get caught in the Arlington / Alexandria curfew that I suspect is going to be in effect for a couple nights at least.

Wasn't going outside before. Not going outside now.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Aren’t there bears ”outside”?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Aren’t there bears ”outside”?

Real outside images:

718eBPFieyL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Great, whites bearing arms.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Great Whites Arming Bears.

• Options
    https://vpm.org/news/articles/19443/richmond-calls-for-lgbtq-inclusive-homeless-shelters
    Richmond City Council approved a resolution Monday night, calling for the city’s homeless service providers to enact policies that affirm people’s gender identity and sexual orientation.

While the city doesn’t own or operate any shelters, it does act as a pass-through for millions in federal funding. According to Richmond officials, approximately $7.5 million in federal grants and CARES Act funding has been distributed to homeless service providers this year.

The resolution calls on these providers to ensure that gay and transgender people “are not discriminated against on the basis of any such person’s gender identity or sexual orientation.” About a quarter of transgender people said they did not seek shelter when experiencing homelessness due to fear of mistreatment, according to a 2015 national survey from the National Center for Transgender Equality.

VPM is Virginia Public Media, central Virginia PBS affiliate

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Tweeter is a rando but a seemingly well cited rando and holy goddamn.
    you’re telling me the state senator who did a plantation style photo shoot with his teenaged secretary after he got her pregnant found it offensive that he was asked to consider hate crimes legislation? i’m surprised.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Molly is a long-time Charlottesville activist, she's just not famous enough for that sweet checkmark. She spends all day going to very boring local government things

Coinage on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    The video of the most WTF incident is worth sharing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=0OhXLcQ2EV0&feature=emb_logo

• Options
    Joe Morrissey is just

he's just fuckin Joe Morrissey, I dunno what else you could say about him

he gets reelected because when he was a defense attorney in Richmond he did a lot of work for racial justice and made his mark fighting back against a lot of the corrupt and bullshit ways police and prosecutors abuse the law in order to convict minorities with much harsher sentences. the majority black district he represents loves him

he's just also kind of a total asshole

i don't know why he opposed the bill, and it would be out of character for him to oppose it because of being some out of touch southern white senator - for all his many

maaany faults that's not what he is

or maybe he is that now, but it would be a pretty sudden change

• Options
    he's the living embodiment of "it's complicated"

• Options
    The sad thing is the party did try to get rid of him and his voters just brought him back and like Chanus alluded to, this wasn't exactly just old white democrats bring him back, it was a fair number of black democrats too.

Anyways, figured I'd drop an update on the eyesore that is the Lee statue. I'd say things are looking pretty good that we get rid of it in the next year or two. Last week the asshat racists filed a last minute appeal to prevent the state from removing the statue. I'd say it's an admission of defeat when your side waits till the deadline on a appeal to file said appeal because this is clearly meant to stall things. Hoping whichever judge ends up hearing this presses the assholes on that fact because if they thought they had a chance they wouldn't be so obvious with a stalling action.

Also, I'll have to dig up an article on it, but we're probably going to get a first hand lesson in how dumb the VA election cycle is. For those not paying attention, it has come out that we wont' have district maps for this years elections. Things the US census have been delayed, not sure how much of that is because of the pandemic and how much of it is a result of the last administration be absolute shit. One silver lining is that Trump's attempt to not count everyone is getting tossed and everyone is being counted. Just have to hope the last administrations bullshit didn't scare a ton of non-citizens into not filling out the census. Anyways, there is a chance we could end up with three consecutive years of elections for the House of Delegates. it's been pointed out that if someone wanted to, they could go to court and force the state to hold elections for the house of delegates next year because the current map will not properly represent voters and that map is what's going to be used this year. If that happens, we still have the races in 2023 because I seriously doubt anyone will bother to get the elections on a sane schedule.

Finally, the redistricting commission that let's sitting elected officials make up half of it has been to the surprise of no one that knew better, an absolute shit show. The first major issue is that the GOP did exactly what most knew they would do with the citizen member choices, pick a bunch of old rich white guys. I think they did back out on going one hundred percent for that when people starting calling them out, but their non-white pick is a real piece of work. Dude is a straight up racist, sexist pro-Trump conspiracy theorist (yeah, I know that statement is probably redundant). Also if you go down to the bottom of the page linked, you'll see that lowkell links a few tweets from Virginia Progressive Legislative Alert Network, noting how the state senators on the board have pretty much run roughshod over the citizen members to make them non-factor going forward. Really pissed that the state's democrats let the farce of amendment go to the ballot and then that it wasn't challenged as being fucking garbage because things are playing out exactly how people that knew better, expect this to go. Citizen input would be irrelevant, that the elected officials on it would run it as business normal and that it does appear the GOP is trying to undermine it so they can spike district line drawing to the partisan Virginia court, that they got to stack. Guess maybe I should see how easy it would be to convince the ACLU to take whatever we get, which is going to be a very garbage map, to court on the grounds that it isn't providing the citizens of the state with a republican form of government.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    associated press reporting that VA is poised to become the 23rd state to abolish the death penalty

https://apnews.com/article/virginia-passes-death-penalty-abolition-d8d4ec134a565955f2b1f675320662b3
    Virginia has executed nearly 1,400 people in more than four centuries, more than any other state, according to the Death Penalty Information Center. In modern times, Virginia is second only to Texas in the number of executions since the Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976.

But executions have slowed in Virginia in recent years — the last inmate put to death was William Morva in 2017 — and no death sentences have been imposed in the state since 2011.

Only two men remain on death row. The Senate bill would commute their sentences to life without parole.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    yeah someone with more time on their hands than me should compile a list of the legislation being passed this session because they are not holding back

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Short session, long to-do list: Virginia General Assembly kicks off Wednesday

Not a full list but in here...

-Legalizing Pot
    -Repealing the witness requirement for some absentee ballots
    -lifting restrictions on those who have been convicted of felony or adjudicated mentally incompetent and their ability to vote
    -A batch of criminal justice reforms including eliminating mandatory minimums
    -Abolishing the death penalty
    -Packing the state supreme court of appeals

That is just part of the list.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Terry still executed 3 people, Jesus Christ. God he better not win the primary

• Options
    Lawmakers vote to make Virginia first Southern state to abolish death penalty
    RICHMOND — A bill to abolish the death penalty in Virginia won final approval in the state Senate on Monday and was sent to Gov. Ralph Northam (D), who is expected to sign it.

Virginia — historically one of the nation’s most prolific death penalty states — would then become the first in the South to abandon the ultimate punishment.

The state Senate approved by a vote of 22to 16 a House bill that bans executions and establishes a maximum punishment of life in prison without the possibility of parole. A judge would have discretion to suspend part of that sentence — a sticking point for some Republicans, who pushed unsuccessfully to make life without parole a mandatory minimum.

An identical Senate bill, sponsored by Sen. Scott A. Surovell (D-Fairfax), is making its way through the House — although now that the House bill was approved by both chambers, the Senate version does not need to pass the House for the legislation to become law. Del. Michael P. Mullin (D-Newport News), a prosecutor for the city of Hampton, carried the House version.

Virginia has imposed capital punishment since Colonial times, ahead of the rest of the nation. Since a spy for Spain was executed in Jamestown colony in 1608, 1,390 people have been put to death in the state, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

Good. No need to have one.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Does West Virginia not count as the South? Because they abolished it back in the 60's.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Does West Virginia not count as the South? Because they abolished it back in the 60's.

depends who you ask and when =p

• Options

The South tends to be short form for the Confederacy. And in that case no West Virginia very much does not count.

Also culturally they are Appalachia which is kind of a weird island oddness.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Historically they are very specifically NOT the south, culturally and in modernity it's a little less clear.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Historically they are very specifically NOT the south, culturally and in modernity it's a little less clear.

culturally and in modernity, Burton, MI, is the South and they call it Burtucky and Kentucky was a Union state

:rotate:

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

The South tends to be short form for the Confederacy. And in that case no West Virginia very much does not count.

Also culturally they are Appalachia which is kind of a weird island oddness.

Sure, but that also describes Kentucky and I'd be hard pressed to call either of them Midwestern instead of Southern.