As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Virginia: North enough to be hated by the South and South enough to be hated by the North

1616263646567»

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Biden can unilaterally Reschedule cannabis so that it gets legally treated as something less dangerous, like cocaine or meth. Which is probably going to happen at some point before 2022.

DoodmannChanusMartini_PhilosopherjmcdonaldjdarksunDiannaoChongMazzyxFencingsax
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular

The VA Supreme Court has ruled in favor of the city of Charlottesville today in the fight over Confederate monuments. Justices disagreed with the lower court's decision that kept the Lee and Jackson monuments standing.

Whitney Evans is a legal reporter for Virginia Public Media

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    FryDiannaoChongmonikerMazzyxMorganVElvenshaeXaquinjdarksunAimFencingsaxMilljmcdonaldGONG-00BlackDragon480JragghenEvigilantShadowfireMortal SkyExtreaminatusTynnanMayabirdStabbity Style
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Fairfax hasn't moved to 1C but did open up the rest of 1B. But this is good as if I can't get an appointment for the GF in Fairfax I can get it in a near by area.

03x29di.png
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited April 2
    From Facebook: Voicemail reportedly left by Amanda Chase urges recipient to be a sister in Christ before calling her a bitch (listen to the end). #VApolitics #VAGov

Weak ass little "....bitch" at the end LOL

edit Just to be clear this is a Jan 6 involved MAGAt Republican candidate for Governor.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    ChanusElvenshaeFryBlackDragon480shrykeMonwyn
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    yep that message tracks alright

Elvenshaespool32Monwyn
    i dunno what it is about people who constantly tell you they are conservative christians that they also are in every single way the exact kinds of people their Bible tells you not to be

Special KElvenshaeXaquinTicaldfjamFencingsaxRanlinCojo Mojo
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    they say words on sunday, duh

that means they can do whatever like the bible says

ChanusTicaldfjamElvenshaeEinzelragnarok7331
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    It is decriminalized already isn't it?

my fault for using a protected term

decriminalization happened last summer but there's still a small civil penalty for being caught with it

i want to see no legal ramifications at all

I wasn't aware that was the case, so this was still helpful. I thought it was no penalties for possession under a certain amount.

it's a $25 fine if you have up to an ounce

above that i don't see where the legal penalty has changed

$25 civil penalty is basically nothing but it also is not nothing, and i don't think that's good enough

It probably comes with a $400 fine for late payment and a bench warrant, then a failure to appear charge, and you end up in jail for a week and out $1000.

edited April 2
    spool32 wrote: »
    It is decriminalized already isn't it?

my fault for using a protected term

decriminalization happened last summer but there's still a small civil penalty for being caught with it

i want to see no legal ramifications at all

I wasn't aware that was the case, so this was still helpful. I thought it was no penalties for possession under a certain amount.

it's a $25 fine if you have up to an ounce

above that i don't see where the legal penalty has changed

$25 civil penalty is basically nothing but it also is not nothing, and i don't think that's good enough

It probably comes with a $400 fine for late payment and a bench warrant, then a failure to appear charge, and you end up in jail for a week and out $1000.

well it's sounding like all that is ending July 1 now

legislature votes on the Governor's amendment on Tuesday to make anything under an ounce legal

Chanus on
    spool32monikerElvenshae
    tuesday? thursday

next week anyhow

July 1 my droogs
    Virginia’s Democrat-controlled General Assembly passed a bill legalizing the possession of small amounts of marijuana on Wednesday.

Under Virginia’s new law, people aged 21 and over can possess an ounce or less of marijuana beginning on July 1, 2021. Gov. Ralph Northam’s original timeline called for a Jan. 1, 2024 start to legalization. He later amended the date under pressure from criminal justice advocates.

VPM is Virginia PBS

IcemopperJragghenmonikerMazzyxFencingsaxFryMillElvenshae
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

July 1 my droogs
    Virginia’s Democrat-controlled General Assembly passed a bill legalizing the possession of small amounts of marijuana on Wednesday.

Under Virginia’s new law, people aged 21 and over can possess an ounce or less of marijuana beginning on July 1, 2021. Gov. Ralph Northam’s original timeline called for a Jan. 1, 2024 start to legalization. He later amended the date under pressure from criminal justice advocates.

VPM is Virginia PBS

So 18-24 months for licensing to be set up but someone actually tried to fix one of the issues of legalization traditionally where those most hurt by the war on drugs are least likely to profit from legal selling.
    The bill specifies a category of “social equity” applicants, such as people who’ve been charged with marijauana-related offenses or who graduated from historically black colleges and universities. Those entrepreneurs will be given preference when the state grants licensing.

Mike Thomas, a 36 year-old Black hemp cultivator who served jail time for marijuana possession, said those entrepreneurs deserved special attention. Thomas said he looked forward to offering his own line of organic, craft cannabis.

“It's a happy feeling that I don't have to see my children or any young kids or anyone else grow up and have to be punished and penalized for something that's not a drug,” Thomas said.

03x29di.png
    FencingsaxFryChanus
    also of note Joe "It's Complicated" Morrissey strongarmed a pledge to work toward ending mandatory minimum sentencing in order to get his vote for this

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Argh Northam endorsed Terry. Imagine finally abolishing the death penalty in your term and then endorsing the guy who executed William Charles Morva

t1iylq0d7o1p.png
    jdarksun
    i am preparing to be supremely disappointed at having to vote for McAuliffe in November

Mill
    During the debate Fairfax said he was treated like George Floyd and Emmett Till so it could be worse, I guess

t1iylq0d7o1p.png
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think too many people on the left jumped into the primary, while McAuliffe doesn't seem to have much, if any, competition for votes from the center and center-left. This was a big fear I had, at the end of last year when I started seeing people put their name into the ring for the democratic governor's primary. Really, wish ranked voting was a thing because it's a bit frustrating that we get plenty of candidates that win because soo many people run. Like I'd have less of an issue, in most cases (not cases where shitheads like Trump win), if ranked voting was a thing because at least even if someone wasn't the fist choice of the majority, they weren't going to be the last choice of a the majority of voters either. I'd also argue it really discourages the shit practices the GOP does, where they start to not care about voters that will never vote for them because when you need to eventually gat 50%+1 vote, you can ill afford to be an outright asshole. Otherwise, you risk creating a scenario where someone else gets that 50%+1 vote setup.

Fairfax is pretty much done at this point. If he had any sense of shame, he would have just quietly opted not to run this year or any year after.

IcemopperMortal Sky
    yeah Fairfax is a piece of shit

I don't know if it would matter if McClennan or Foy dropped out, Terry has so much star power it's nearly insurmountable regardless, especially since money is even more powerful in a low turnout primary. And I'm an annoying person so I like Lee Carter but he's not getting any votes lol

t1iylq0d7o1p.png
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited April 11
    Wait McAuliffe can be governor again?

Edit. Ok

Captain Inertia on
    Wait McAuliffe can be governor again?

in VA you just can't serve consecutive terms

Captain InertiaElvenshaemonikerMillFencingsaxGONG-00
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    It's a really stupid setup and there have been attempts to do away with it. I just hope that when they do get rid of it, they make sure to keep it at no more than two terms. I'd prefer to avoid the "dear leader" problem at the state level. Legislative stuff, it isn't an issue because it's a body of multiple individuals. It's also a body where you don't want institutional knowledge to be the sole domain of interests that will lobby the government. Also most people in the legislature don't stick around forever, you get a few and everyone acts like it's the norm when it isn't.

Granted before that dumb mess, I really want them to move us onto even year elections.

this census thing would give the perfect opportunity to move to even year elections but i'm pretty sure the will to do it doesn't exist

Mill