The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Magic: the Gathering] Uguu~~ The Spiwit Dwagon

11314151719

Posts

  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    What's the best place to look up prices for cards, and for that matter to sell them (for the latter I'm guessing eBay?).

    I have an expedition Twilight Mire I'd like to turn into cash.

    I like TCGplayer to look up prices for buying. For selling, I don't know where'd you go. Ebay seems like the best value but you'll have to setup the auctions which is more work than just finding a buylist somewhere.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • eelektrikeelektrik Registered User regular
    Last night was my best draft so far. Guy at my table opened an Avacyn but not enough good cards to support it. A foil Behold the Beyond was passed around the table unwanted. I played W/U/B mostly zombies with five rares in my deck. Port Town, Choked Estuary, Drownyard Temple, Diregraf Colossus, and Forgotten Creation as well as two Morkrut(?) Necropods for the beat down.

    Ended up coming in 3rd out of 16 going 3-1 in four rounds, my loss in the second round was to the guy who ended up 2nd. 1st place last night went to a guy who opened a Jace and lots of good control cards.

    steam_sig.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Hey, so I haven't played magic in years. Around when Avacyn Restored came out, I came up with a cool deck idea that was actually modern-legal at that time, and my personal friends I played with thought it was bullshit and stopped playing the game with me, and even kind of with each other. It was weird.

    Anyway, I haven't played since then. I'm kind of craving getting back into it, but I'm also kind of attached to this deck because it was an awesome idea I really liked, so I'm gonna call up the local game store and say "hey you guys got a casual anything goes magic night on the schedule?"

    My question is, if anyone's willing to, could you take a look at my deck and let me know if there have been any changes in the game that make my deck totally outdated and counterable, that I could easily fix while keeping to the theme of the deck? I don't really care about converting it to be legal in a particular category, since I'd only be playing at said casual games, but I'd be happy to adjust to counter any weaknesses I'm completely unaware of since I haven't played in years.

    http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fruit-fucker-prime-2/

    Strat:
    First of all yes I have 62 cards because so what why not. I'm a rebel that way.

    Basically the early game goal is to get as much mana production as possible, get a Mentor of the Meek for card draw if I get lucky since most of the deck is weak mana-gen creatures, and eventually get one of my win conditions with enough mana pool early enough to exploit it before my opponent has a counter. There are multiple things that can be turned into win conditions depending on the situation. My ideal one, which inspired the name of the deck, was getting Cathars Crusade and Pentavus on the board at the same time. At that point, I can pay 5 mana to create five 5/5s with flying, without even weakening the original pentavus (hence the title of the deck, I even have token cards printed out with the picture from the comic), while also buffing my weak mana-gen creatures by +5/+5. If I have a Mentor of the Meek on the board, I can even do it in increments to draw a card each new token.

    If I'm not getting lucky with the universal mana cards, but I'm stacking a ton of green mana, I can Green Sun's Zenith in a Craterhoof or Hydra depending on what'd work out better at the time. I've also used Zenith to bring in a good defender early-midgame to keep me alive to build up my mana pool, or even super early to draw in a borderland ranger to get my single plains into play, which is why I only have one in the deck.

    The planeswalker is just sort of general synergy with the deck, and the 1-off green creatures are just "this might be a handy thing to call in with GSZ if I need it"

    Thanks to anyone who put the time into looking at this, even if you conclude it's a super easily counterable dumb deck and my friends are dumb for getting salty about it, as long as you tell me how to upgrade it while maintaining the playstyle (if it's even still feasible).

    Raiden333 on
    steam_sig.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Hey, so I haven't played magic in years. Around when Avacyn Restored came out, I came up with a cool deck idea that was actually modern-legal at that time, and my personal friends I played with thought it was bullshit and stopped playing the game with me, and even kind of with each other. It was weird.

    Anyway, I haven't played since then. I'm kind of craving getting back into it, but I'm also kind of attached to this deck because it was an awesome idea I really liked, so I'm gonna call up the local game store and say "hey you guys got a casual anything goes magic night on the schedule?"

    My question is, if anyone's willing to, could you take a look at my deck and let me know if there have been any changes in the game that make my deck totally outdated and counterable, that I could easily fix while keeping to the theme of the deck? I don't really care about converting it to be legal in a particular category, since I'd only be playing at said casual games, but I'd be happy to adjust to counter any weaknesses I'm completely unaware of since I haven't played in years.

    As far as current Modern goes, Green Sun's Zenith is banned. That might just kill your plan right away, although for most purposes Chord of Calling is an adequate substitute. There are also a couple of quality-of-life upgrades you could make if you wanted to (e.g., Elspeth, Sun's Champion is probably better than Elspeth Tirel). Does this deck really function with only 16 lands? That seems ambitious.

    Other than that I can't offer too much strategic advice. My local Modern meta trends casual so my experience is not generally relevant to the meta at large.

  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Mages, I have a rules query.
    I had Merieke Ri Berit out, and my opponent had a Homeward Path.
    So I was stealing creatures and he was taking them back all game.

    However the issue we had was sorting out what happens to his reclaimed creatures if she ever untaps.
    Would they be destroyed even though I no longer control them?

    Witchsight.jpg
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Huh. I'm honestly surprised that Merieke doesn't say "sacrifice", which would make this very clear-cut (you can only sacrifice something you control).

    A cursory search doesn't turn up anything on this specific interaction other than "Merieke and Path are not good friends" but I can't find any actual ruling. The closest I can find is this:
    If another player takes control of Merieke, you will immediately lose control of the creature you took, but Merieke’s “destroy” ability won’t trigger. The affected creature will go back under the control of the appropriate player.

    That doesn't quite answer the specific question, to my mind, as it's not Merieke changing control here but the controlled creature in question. I'll ask around and see if anyone else can give me a specific call.

    I would say she still destroys it until I figure out why she wouldn't.

    Witchsight
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Likewise, that's how we played it. But it left us both scratching our heads and my opponent at a loss for how to get around it.

    Witchsight.jpg
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    One of my fellow judge friends agrees as well, but also has the nagging suspicion that he could be missing something.

    Although getting around it isn't terribly difficult: he has to get rid of whatever is letting you untap her. :P

  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Does anyone happen to have an example of a good dredge edh deck? I have been looking through a few deck sites but not a lot of dredge edh to go off of.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Today I drafted Spellder Spawning in SoI draft, though I could have done with some more Fiery Tempers and any Lightning Axes at all.

    Still, casting Rise from the Tides with 8 instants/sorceries in the graveyard, AND having the mana left over to use Geistblast to clone the spell...

    That felt good.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Does anyone happen to have an example of a good dredge edh deck? I have been looking through a few deck sites but not a lot of dredge edh to go off of.

    Like, Dredge played straight or Dredge like it gets played now?

    Because I had a Karador deck that had 14 lands and almost never missed a land drop. It was recursion city. But there are a ton of cards out there that just completely wrecked it, and everyone is going to be running them in EDH.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    The Betgirl
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Hey, so I haven't played magic in years. Around when Avacyn Restored came out, I came up with a cool deck idea that was actually modern-legal at that time, and my personal friends I played with thought it was bullshit and stopped playing the game with me, and even kind of with each other. It was weird.

    Anyway, I haven't played since then. I'm kind of craving getting back into it, but I'm also kind of attached to this deck because it was an awesome idea I really liked, so I'm gonna call up the local game store and say "hey you guys got a casual anything goes magic night on the schedule?"

    My question is, if anyone's willing to, could you take a look at my deck and let me know if there have been any changes in the game that make my deck totally outdated and counterable, that I could easily fix while keeping to the theme of the deck? I don't really care about converting it to be legal in a particular category, since I'd only be playing at said casual games, but I'd be happy to adjust to counter any weaknesses I'm completely unaware of since I haven't played in years.

    As far as current Modern goes, Green Sun's Zenith is banned. That might just kill your plan right away, although for most purposes Chord of Calling is an adequate substitute. There are also a couple of quality-of-life upgrades you could make if you wanted to (e.g., Elspeth, Sun's Champion is probably better than Elspeth Tirel). Does this deck really function with only 16 lands? That seems ambitious.

    Other than that I can't offer too much strategic advice. My local Modern meta trends casual so my experience is not generally relevant to the meta at large.

    Thanks for the advice, Chord of the Calling seems like a neat card, but way too inefficient for my deck as it is, since 1. like I said I really don't care about legality in any format, I'm only going to play this deck at casual anything-goes magic nights because I have the itch and I'm not planning on getting serious, and 2. I have 12 creatures in the deck that pretty much exist solely to get on the board early game and be mana sources, so I'd be tapping them anyway with GSZ without the extra 2G cost. Those creatures, and my Borderland Rangers to landgrab, and the seven 3-cost mana generating artifacts, are how I get away with the low landcount.

    The whole early game of the deck was designed around generating a bigger manapool as quick as possible than relying on lands allow you to. I've spent a TON of time simming draws with it in cockatrice, and it's pretty rare I get so starved of lands and other cards of generating mana that I get roadblocked by casting costs, maybe about 5% of sims.

    Also, I have to disagree with you about Elspeth Sun's Champion being a better PW for this deck than plain 'ol Elspeth Tirel. I don't have anyway to magically (ha!) pull the planeswalker out of my library, so I'm just sort of depending on stumbling on it and getting a lucky card that synergizes with my deck, so I really just compare their abilities. Elspeth Tirel has 2 huge advantages with this deck over Sun's Champion: it offers me a VERY GOOD source of life regen, since the deck relies on having so many cheap creatures and tokens, and the "eliminate all permanents except lands and tokens" ultimate ability is kiiiiind of massive if both me and my opponent have a giant board of creatures out, but his is actual cards and mine is a swarm of 5/5+ pentavites.

    But I still appreciate the input, gives me stuff to think about.

    steam_sig.png
  • slappybagslappybag Registered User regular
    LSV making top 8 again :)

  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    slappybag wrote: »
    LSV making top 8 again :)

    LSV making top 8 again after an 8-0 run that nearly saw the wheels fall off on day two. :) :? :( :D

  • FeralFeral That's what I do. I drink, and I know things. Location: ByakkoyaRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    Does anyone happen to have an example of a good dredge edh deck? I have been looking through a few deck sites but not a lot of dredge edh to go off of.

    Like, Dredge played straight or Dredge like it gets played now?

    Because I had a Karador deck that had 14 lands and almost never missed a land drop. It was recursion city. But there are a ton of cards out there that just completely wrecked it, and everyone is going to be running them in EDH.

    Mimeoplasm also makes for a good graveyard-oriented deck. Blue gives you access to self-mill and self-discard (Forbidden Alchemy and Fact or Fiction do work) and it has kind of a dredgy feeling when you fill up your graveyard and then resurrect or copy stuff from there. One of my favorite tricks was to Buried Alive for Invisible Stalker and a big creature, then feed them to Mimeoplasm for a big unlockable hexproof commander.

    Meren of Clan Nel Toth is also solid from what I've seen, but I haven't personally built him yet.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Magic Duels wasn't enough to sate my growing, unnatural hunger (in part because it doesn't have drafts) so I'm going to try out MTGO

    Oh boy, this sure is less streamlined and modern so far.

    bgg / steam / goodreads / Bnet: Bygasto#2537
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    Does anyone happen to have an example of a good dredge edh deck? I have been looking through a few deck sites but not a lot of dredge edh to go off of.

    Like, Dredge played straight or Dredge like it gets played now?

    Because I had a Karador deck that had 14 lands and almost never missed a land drop. It was recursion city. But there are a ton of cards out there that just completely wrecked it, and everyone is going to be running them in EDH.

    The only dredge I know about is the old dredge. Luckily my friends do not run a lot of graveyard kill so it won't be too bad.
    Feral wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    Does anyone happen to have an example of a good dredge edh deck? I have been looking through a few deck sites but not a lot of dredge edh to go off of.

    Like, Dredge played straight or Dredge like it gets played now?

    Because I had a Karador deck that had 14 lands and almost never missed a land drop. It was recursion city. But there are a ton of cards out there that just completely wrecked it, and everyone is going to be running them in EDH.

    Mimeoplasm also makes for a good graveyard-oriented deck. Blue gives you access to self-mill and self-discard (Forbidden Alchemy and Fact or Fiction do work) and it has kind of a dredgy feeling when you fill up your graveyard and then resurrect or copy stuff from there. One of my favorite tricks was to Buried Alive for Invisible Stalker and a big creature, then feed them to Mimeoplasm for a big unlockable hexproof commander.

    Meren of Clan Nel Toth is also solid from what I've seen, but I haven't personally built him yet.

    This also sounds cool. I will look into it.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Meren of Clan Nel Toth is a solid commander and classy lady.

    I won my last game of EDH with her at the helm, convincing her entire army (and some of the opponent's creatures we'd tempted into service, from beyond the grave) to strap themselves into Ashnod's Altar and sacrifice themselves from great mana.

    And lifedrain, as I had a Zulaport Cutthroat in play. Then I'd cast Living Death and do it all over again. And again. And again.

    And nobody could stop me until I ran out of mana, because I managed to snag a Teferi from an opponent's graveyard each time, leave it alive, kill it with Living Death, then grab it again with ETB triggers from Sepulchral Primordial.

    Yeah, it's a sort of sacrifice-for-value combo deck with a bunch of tutor creatures to get the pieces and lots of 'when one of your creatures dies, each opponent sacs a creature' thing going on for bonuses.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • AuralynxAuralynx Super-Classy Crow On Silk!Registered User regular
    I've been away from the game since Time Spiral block / the first Lorwyn set. Tomorrow, a friend has talked me into going to a Shadows over Innistrad draft.

    I've played plenty of other CCGs since, so basic draft logic is pretty well-established in my brain. I know about the draft simulators, and have run through a few, but:

    You guys pay way more attention to this game than me. What do I really need to know that's Magic / SoI specific before I do this?

    og83npmjgeii.png

  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    There have been some rule changes since Lorwyn. Combat damage no longer goes on the stack (there is still a Combat Damage step, damage happens immediately at the start of it), mana burn no longer exists.

    As far as SoI goes, you'll encounter double-faced cards for the first time. I would recommend reading this mechanics article to give yourself a quick primer on how these work as well as the set's other features.

  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    One of my fellow judge friends agrees as well, but also has the nagging suspicion that he could be missing something.

    Although getting around it isn't terribly difficult: he has to get rid of whatever is letting you untap her. :P
    I don't know what the cards do. Anyways, is changing one player's side of the battlefield to the other player's battlefield considered different zones? changing zones makes it a new card thus won't be remembered when Merieke tries to destroy or whatever.

    jCyyTSo.png
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I've been away from the game since Time Spiral block / the first Lorwyn set. Tomorrow, a friend has talked me into going to a Shadows over Innistrad draft.

    I've played plenty of other CCGs since, so basic draft logic is pretty well-established in my brain. I know about the draft simulators, and have run through a few, but:

    You guys pay way more attention to this game than me. What do I really need to know that's Magic / SoI specific before I do this?

    First off, just draft the most powerful card for your first couple of picks while you see what's open, then pick a two colour combination based on what you see. (You can splash a third with some good mana fixing - spells that let you grab a land of your choice, or create mana of any colour).

    Other things to consider: SoI is more of a synergy based draft environment, you can't just draft a bunch of powerful cards and do as well. There needs to be some interaction.

    Delirium cards activate when 4 card types (artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land, planeswalker, sorcery) are in the graveyard. There are cards that work well with this, like Wilt-Field Scarecrow, by putting multiple card types in the yard, etc. White, Green and Black have lots of Delirium cards.

    Madness cards activate when discarded through a spell like Tormenting Voices (common red Sorcery), or Catalogue (common blue Instant). You can then pay their madness cost to cast them, rather than discard them. Red and Black have the most Madness cards, with Blue a little behind.

    Tribal matters, to some extent. Tribal just means 'creatures that share a type'. It's one of the easier ways to build synergy. White/Green has humans, Green/Red has werewolves, Red/Black has vampires, Black/Blue has zombies, and Blue/White has spirits. You'll see cards that care about a creature type (Howlpack Resurgence is an enchantment that gives all wolves and werewolves +1/+1 and trample, for example), and creatures that buff other creatures.

    There are also some more complex strats in the format at the moment (UR Rise from the Tides, Graveyard Dump Delirium starring Epitaph Golem, etc), but you probably want to avoid those until you're a little more familiar with the cards.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • AuralynxAuralynx Super-Classy Crow On Silk!Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, Madness I'm familiar with but haven't seen as aggressively costed or implemented the way I'm seeing some of the SoI stuff do it where the effect changes before, which is actually pretty cool. It's available even when things are discarded from your library, since you reference Catalogue?

    Seems like along with all this deck-trashing there are more than a few things in Black and White with effects from the graveyard, as well.

    I was looking at a visual spoiler last night. Very few bombs in the set, and the removal's a little touchy and sometimes expensive. Gonna be a lot of man-fighting and outlasting going on, it looks like. I did notice that there's an abundance of buff men as well.

    Any must-takes other than the Abbey, which seems like a no-brainer if you get passed it, and Jace? The Planeswalkers seem like they make sense early but not late, apart from Jace.

    Auralynx on
    og83npmjgeii.png

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Catalogue doesn't discard from your library - you draw three cards, then discard one card from your hand. It doesn't need to be one that you just drew, either.

    Abbey works in every deck. Sorin is bonkers. Avacyn is worth 'splashing' white if you open her and aren't in white, she's absolutely amazing.

    Arlinn Kord is very hard to beat in a RG beatdown deck. I've had the easiest time with a GW humans deck (it's very easy to play, powerful, and has access to good removal), but pretty much any archetype seems legit.

    One more point: Removal is key. You want to draft removal if you see it. Fiery Temper, Lightning Axe, Murderous Compulsion (even without madness), Throttle, Declaration in Stone (hurr, super expense), Anguished Unmaking, Angelic Purge (but probably not more than 1 unless you have ways to generate tokens or don't mind saccing land), Bound by Moonsilver, are all great. Though concentrate on the commons.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    One of my fellow judge friends agrees as well, but also has the nagging suspicion that he could be missing something.

    Although getting around it isn't terribly difficult: he has to get rid of whatever is letting you untap her. :P

    I don't know what the cards do. Anyways, is changing one player's side of the battlefield to the other player's battlefield considered different zones? changing zones makes it a new card thus won't be remembered when Merieke tries to destroy or whatever.

    A good thought, but the Battlefield is one shared zone between all players. The only thing a change of control typically affects is summoning sickness.

    Auralynx wrote: »
    Yeah, Madness I'm familiar with but haven't seen as aggressively costed or implemented the way I'm seeing some of the SoI stuff do it where the effect changes before, which is actually pretty cool. It's available even when things are discarded from your library, since you reference Catalogue?

    "Discard" is only from hand to graveyard (or to exile if the card has madness). They refuse to actually give a keyword to the action of milling, but it is NOT discard and does not trigger Madness. Catalog draws you two cards and then you discard one from your hand; it does not mill.

    Very few bombs in the set, and the removal's a little touchy and sometimes expensive.

    There are more bombs than you think, I promise you. Many of them aren't super-obvious due to the reliance on synergy but there a quite a few cards that can just wreck you in situations that are not terribly difficult to orchestrate. By especially wary once your opponent hits delerium.

    Re: removal, yeah that's something they've done recently. Games are more fun when common removal isn't backbreaking.

    Any must-takes other than the Abbey, which seems like a no-brainer if you get passed it, and Jace? The Planeswalkers seem like they make sense early but not late, apart from Jace.

    The number of mythics that are not must-takes is quite low. Avacyn is insane, Descend Upon the Sinful is obviously good, Seasons Past usually says "draw five to seven cards of your choice", Startled Awake can win a game by itself, all of the planeswalkers are fine to insane (Jace might be the weakest, relatively speaking), and most of the others are either enormous threats (Demon, Hydra, Masterpiece, Wolf, Sigarda, Gitrog) or efficient synergistic beaters (Relentless Dead, Olivia).

    Behold the Beyond is basically trash, and Goldnight Castigator is suuuuper risky and also mostly trash as a result. That's it. The others are all crazy good.

  • AuralynxAuralynx Super-Classy Crow On Silk!Registered User regular
    I had Catalogue confused with something else, I guess. Good to have the clarification.

    I'll hope for vampires or humans as they seem the most straightforward to work with. Hopefully it goes well.

    og83npmjgeii.png

  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I had Catalogue confused with something else, I guess. Good to have the clarification.

    I'll hope for vampires or humans as they seem the most straightforward to work with. Hopefully it goes well.

    Werewolves can also be interesting because the whole table knows when/if you move into them.

  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So I asked about dredge earlier but would a dredge/cascade deck be viable? I really want to try out something with a heavy focus on cascade but maybe combining the two in EDH would be fun.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Okay, listen

    I have your new best friend right here

    101.jpg

    prep for value

    Exkbmwk.jpg
    Steam PSN: The Betman
    You should listen to my Totally Spies rewatch podcast on Audio Entropy!
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Unfortunately you lose out on black and gold dredge cards with him (assuming he's your commander) but yeah Maelstrom is the mayor of Valuetown.

    Vyolynce on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I had Catalogue confused with something else, I guess. Good to have the clarification.

    I'll hope for vampires or humans as they seem the most straightforward to work with. Hopefully it goes well.

    Self-discard and self-mill are both quite plentiful in this format. Make sure to read your cards carefully!

    hippofant on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Maelstrom Wanderer is so good. Just remember to avoid X cards.

    The best part is that he wants to die. Which plays so well with green sack-for-value cards. Greater Good is probably my favorite card in Magic, and Dredge loves it, too.

    Just don't forget to pack something that lets your reshuffle your deck. Cascading yourself in the colors of land fetch and card draw can end up depleting your deck very quickly. Luckily, green and blue have some great options for that.

    OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    The Betgirl
  • AuralynxAuralynx Super-Classy Crow On Silk!Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Went 2-1 with a red/black "Look at all those vampires!" strategy, which somehow worked despite two other people in my draft group sucking up a lot of the good red and black stuff I didn't pass or open. Some good use out of the built-in Madness synergy and timely Burn From Withins; results were solid.

    My luck and concentration had run out by the third round, though, and I'm pretty sure that guy's G/W humans was just better than my deck regardless.

    Also it was amusing to be able to equip a scary cape to my Vampires!

    I then handed the cards to the friend who talked me in to going on our way home and felt pretty good about the whole thing.

    Auralynx on
    og83npmjgeii.png

    VyolynceKay
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Well done! I ended up in GW Humans with four flip creatures (Town Gossipmonger, Hanweir Militia Captain, Pious Evangel and Avacynian Missionaries), two Neglected Heirlooms and a Haunted Cloak.

    Oh, and Odric.

    Being able to drop Inspiring Captains, anthem your team, and attack with a board full of haste, vigilance, first strike, trample creatures is pretty good. No flying, though. I got Odric late and hadn't managed to grab any white spirits or humans that turn into spirits on death. Went 3-0.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Haven't played in like 5 years or so but been getting the itch to start again.

    Is there still any sort of clan or such still going on mtgo?

    playing alone is ok, but friendly games with friends is so much better.

    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    That face when the top8 at Game Day is announced and you were in 9th.

    FeelsBadMan.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I bought a maelstrom Wanderer edh deck from my LCS. 175, may have been a bit pricey and some of the cards are jacked up but it is a good base to go off of. I really want to get a warp world and some cards that return sorcery/instant from the graveyard to the hand. It only has the blue/red common from ravinca.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    Alright batterskull question. I'm theorycrafting a rgw soldier/knight/angel edh deck, am able to have batterskull in it since it produces a black germ token and that's not within my commander colors?

    PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    tehjester wrote: »
    Alright batterskull question. I'm theorycrafting a rgw soldier/knight/angel edh deck, am able to have batterskull in it since it produces a black germ token and that's not within my commander colors?

    Last I checked, you cannot produce colors of mana or have mana pips on any card in your deck that are not in your Commander's colors, or colorless I guess. Generating a token of a different color is fine.

    KalTorakVyolynceThe BetgirlFeral
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    tehjester wrote: »
    Alright batterskull question. I'm theorycrafting a rgw soldier/knight/angel edh deck, am able to have batterskull in it since it produces a black germ token and that's not within my commander colors?

    Last I checked, you cannot produce colors of mana or have mana pips on any card in your deck that are not in your Commander's colors, or colorless I guess. Generating a token of a different color is fine.

    Technically you can produce off-brand mana now, but you still cannot have those symbols in your deck. If your commander is, say, Dragonlord Ojutai you can run Darksteel Ingot ('of any color") but not Obelisk of Esper ("W, U, or B"). Kozilek, the Great Distortion is just like any other colorless commander.

    Color words themselves are fine, so Batterskull is legal in any deck.

Sign In or Register to comment.