As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Caffeine] must flow.

• intropintrop Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Apropos of nothing, but I ran across these solubility numbers while looking for something else:

Assuming a linear solubility curve, water at the temperature of a scalding cup of coffee can hold ~23 g/mL of caffeine. For reference, a very high-caffeine cup of coffee might have around 1 mg/mL. Note the units.

:twisted:

Assuming an LD50 of 150 mg/kg and a 70 kg person, about half a milliliter of what would probably be the most bitter-tasting shit megacoffee in existence would be lethal.

If it makes you feel any better, if you let the shit megacoffee cool to room temperature, about 90% of the caffeine would precipitate out.

introp on
    Steam ID: highentropy
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I came across this poem last night and immediately thought of this thread and especially @Abracadaniel
    Posted with permission
    Ground

In heaven
    the soil
    is ground coffee

the sunlight
    steaming water

In the morning with my cup
    I scoop up the ground
    hold it to the light

and without filter
    I drink

steam_sig.png
    Usagi
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Cold brew people -- how do you handle all the grinding? I got a Toddy, it said "put 12 oz of coarsely ground coffee in here", which is fine and all, but it took a heck of a long time to grind that much coffee, and I couldn't face going through that a second time.
    12 ounces is crazy.

I do sixty grams of coffee to 550ml of water.

Can't you scale it back more?

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Well, that's what the instructions say. It's 12 oz to 7 cups of water (=1650ml), so that's certainly stronger than what you're making but not ridiculously so, given it's making about three times as much, and you're making something that you're supposed to dilute afterwards. I should look up other ways to do it, I have enough bits of filtering apparatus around here I'm sure I can get something together.

(edit: here we go, and it's Kicking Horse, who make decent beans. They suggest 1 cup grounds to 3 cups water, which is still a lot of grounds but not a ridiculous amount)

djmitchella on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Scale it back, it should still work fine.

Or, buy beans the day you are making and get them to grind for you.

I now have a french press sitting in the fridge with 1 cup coarse grounds + 3 cups water, and I'll see how it is tomorrow morning. Making one cup of grounds is fine, it was just when I had to do multiple batches that it got to be annoying.

Oh it's a submersion style?

It will scale down easily.

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Something a friend said made me curious, and I did a rough tally of how much caffeine I consumed today (a pretty typical weekday). I used the numbers off the Mayo Clinic website , and I'm roughly between 700 and 1400mg, depending on how caffeinated the work coffee is. I hadn't ever added it up before, but that's kind of a lot. :?

I might seriously have to start cutting back, y'all.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    bsjezzMichaelLC
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    mehhh caffeine is great tho

poo
    AbracadanielMadEddyBeef AvengerTheStig
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I got one of these. 11571-01.jpg

A pour over pot with a permanent steel filter. It makes coffee fast, but I feel like something is missing tastewise. Any of our resident experts care to weigh in?

Fuck off and die.
    bsjezz
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Try using Nescafe.

forumsig.png
    Donovan PuppyfuckerTheStig
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Please link that pot.

Naphtali
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Man that is a gorgeous coffee pot

Lost SalientGoatmon
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Please link that pot.

Yeah, it could have some rupees in it.

forumsig.png
    SorcejoshgotrocabsyLost SalientGoatmonFlarne
    Saying it is missing something does not really help since we do not know what is missing and don't know what you were using before.

MadEddy
    edited May 2015
    The coffeemaker is this one. (reverse GIS to the rescue). Also available from amazon/target/etc, of course.

the obvious question is "how are you doing the pouring-over"? If you just dump all the water in and wait, you won't get the results you want, you should probably treat it the same way you'd treat a V60 / chemex / etc -- start off pouring in just enough water to wet the grounds, wait until the bloom is finished, then pour the rest of the water in slowly.

(exactly what "slowly" means varies -- I tend to try and roughly half-fill the filter, then pour in gradually from there to keep the water level consistent as it trickles out the bottom, but other people do "three clockwise circles, wait 30 seconds, three counterclockwise circles, wait 30 seconds", etc. Make sure when you're pouring water in that it doesn't go in fast enough to clear a path all the way through the grounds, make sure you don't pour water at the edges so it goes 'under' the grounds).

(edit: Oh, that's almost certainly it -- OP said:
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    It makes coffee fast,
    so yeah, speed is not normally what you want. Espresso, sure, then you want 20-25 seconds, but anything else is going to take longer)

djmitchella on
    Peter Ebel
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I got one of these. 11571-01.jpg

A pour over pot with a permanent steel filter. It makes coffee fast, but I feel like something is missing tastewise. Any of our resident experts care to weigh in?

Gut reaction - use a finer grind and use a paper filter inside that basket in addition to the "permanent filter".

brDe918.jpg
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    oh nice, my local target has those for $30

guess I'll swing by after work

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    joshgotro
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Trying out a new coffee subscription company since Tonx née Blue Bottle's shipping performance continues to drop, getting coffee nearly a week after it's roasted vs. these guys who claim to roast and ship same day, so the beans can off-gas while in transit. Also they roast out of the east coast I believe, so that may help.

Abracadaniel on
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the weigh-in, fellas. I'm screwing around with coarseness and pouring as we speak. Next up, filters.

Edit: yup, proper filter is the solution.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    Noisymunkdjmitchella
    I don't think i've ever seen a "permanent filter" that was any good. The pore size on the mesh is just too large.

brDe918.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    I don't think i've ever seen a "permanent filter" that was any good. The pore size on the mesh is just too large.

I really enjoyed my hario woodneck which uses a cloth filter that you wash between uses.

edited May 2015
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I really enjoyed my hario woodneck which uses a cloth filter that you wash between uses.

You're right, I have a cloth filter that I use occasionally if I run out of paper filters and it works. I should've specified the metal mesh style filters. I haven't had enough coffee yet.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg

The disks for Aeropresses are okay; I have the S filter and it's been good for me -- I've never seen anything solid get through the mesh, at any rate, and I've been playing with different grinds recently since the Aeropress iphone app gave away a bunch more 'recipes'.

I think it's more of an issue with the fact that the oils get trapped and go rancid in the steel and effects the flavour.

Lost Salient
    That's definitely a concern, Blake. This one's easy enough to clean, which is why it's shit as a filter. So in the end it's just a plastic filter holder. It's not even a dripper, because there's no real hole for the coffee to drip through. It just runs out of the grate. So, the Bodum pour over pot isn't the best piece of kit on the market.

Fuck off and die.
    I seem to have a weird coffee problem. I bought some UE House Roast espresso beans the other week (I've posted about them here before, love their stuff), used them in my aeropress in the same way as I've used any other coffee, and it's turning out kind of lacklustre. I can tell the flavour I expect should be there, but it's got no body to it at all, tastes really weak. My grinding method isn't great (it's a blade-grinder, don't h8), but it's the same I've used for anything else. I tried using slightly cooler water, 85 instead of the 90 I was using with a different bag, but it's still not doing it. I feel there's something super obvious that I'm just not doing, but I was getting a much better, fuller flavour out of a cheaper bag of supermarket beans, than these.

forumsig.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Trying out a new coffee subscription company since Tonx née Blue Bottle's shipping performance continues to drop, getting coffee nearly a week after it's roasted vs. these guys who claim to roast and ship same day, so the beans can off-gas while in transit. Also they roast out of the east coast I believe, so that may help.

lemme know what you think of them, my last bb shipment was like a week late.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »

Well at least I'm not the only one! Though I found out these guys roast and ship out of LA so it still has to travel cross country at the mercy of USPS.

WHERE ALL MY EAST COAST ROASTERS AT

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Dan I ended up getting my dad 4 months at Driftaway Coffee and he very much enjoyed them (this calls back to this past Christmas). They roast and ship out of Brooklyn.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    Abracadaniel
    How is there no place that roasts in your city Dan.

I know of three in mine.

No wait, four. Well, four that are any good.

There are a few but their beans haven't been as consistent.

@LuvTheMonkey I am trying Driftaway as well! Their stuff has been solid though I'd have to up my plan to get enough beans to last a full week.

LuvTheMonkey
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I've taken the babiest of baby steps into the world of better coffee, I bought a French press. It's just a little Bodum 12oz but it was only $10 at my local Meijer.

Now I guess I need to get a grinder.

jgeis on
    AbracadanielUsagiintropcabsydarleysam
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Well at least I'm not the only one! Though I found out these guys roast and ship out of LA so it still has to travel cross country at the mercy of USPS.

WHERE ALL MY EAST COAST ROASTERS AT

Ships out of LA you say.... :D

edited May 2015
    jgeis wrote: »
    I've taken the babiest of baby steps into the world of better coffee, I bought a French press. It's just a little Bodum 12oz but it was only $10 at my local Meijer.

Now I guess I need to get a grinder.

the-lord-of-the-rings-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-415.png?w=590

In my own news, it appears using water at 80° instead of 85 or higher makes a considerable difference to the flavour from these beans (read: there is now flavour), so I'll go with that.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    It's not tea, it's coffee, it works in like 92-98.

That to me? Because the instructions in the Aeropress recommend using 80° to 85° depending on the roast, and in my own experience I get much better results around those temperatures.

forumsig.png
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Not germane to most of the thread except it's emphasis on caffeine, but a bunch of the "add shit to water to make it taste" type products have caffeine in them and I got a squeezie of this:

5QoA8zg.jpg

And it is just fantastic. It tastes good and for $4 a pop you get enough mystery juice to make at least 4 or 5 32 ounce bottles of water into a respectable energy drink. I can't recommend it enough.

Sorcecabsy
    Yeah their orange flavor is pretty good