As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Caffeine] must flow.

1121314151618»

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Also Coffee Subscription Update:

Moustache Coffee Club is very good so far. Sidamo Guji, very solid roast, tastes awesome, and supposedly it was roasted last Thursday and arrived Monday afternoon. I say supposedly because the shipping label was created on the 4th, so it leaves me a little suspect, unless they prep all the shipping labels, boxes, etc and then fulfill and ship after roasting.

Anyway, putting my Blue Bottle subscription on hold for a couple months to see how I like Moustache.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Thread resurrection. What I have discovered warrants it.

Coffee in Vietnam is everything my boss said it would be.
    vietnamese-coffee.jpg

I would argue you don't need this contraption to enjoy the flavor. I stick the espresso ground beans in my espresso machine and it still tastes just as mindblowing. Essentially, their primary coffee maker is a little metal cup on top of a porous plate. The coffee is produced simply by pressing espresso into the metal cup, then pouring hot water on top of the the metal cup and plate on top of any tall, thin glass (with condensed milk at the bottom.) The flavor blew my mind from the first sip, and I ain't talking about the condensed milk. If you want to be a purist, its available on Amazon, but you could run the coffee through any device and it would still knock your socks off. The picture above is using far more condensed milk than what a local (or anyone with good calorie sense) uses, but you do use just enough to form a thin layer that will stay the same as the coffee sits on top so you can stir it afterward.

I bought my beans from some hole-in-the-wall shack that also sold liqour, but you can walk the streets of Ho Chi Minh and any juice stand will have it and it will be equally mind blowing. It can be enjoyed hot or iced, but what I can't figure out is how to remove the painfully hot metal cup and plate without burning myself and looking like a tourist.

The beans are mostly labelled as Arabic, but the best of the best beans are what are called "Weasel" roast by the locals. Like Sumatran beans, Weasel roast refers to beans that were consumed and then shit out by Civet Cats. The Economist reports that the kilogram of Weasel beans I bought were likely either not real or a product of animal cruelty. Either way, this shit is hands down the best coffee I ever had.

I ended up buying four kilograms of Vietnamese coffee and mailing them home to my family and friends. 3 kilos were Arabic, and one was Weasel. My only regret was not buying more. Cafe Bustillos tastes like shit now. I don't even know what keeps Starbucks open in Vietnam, their coffee is a joke in comparison. Sweet fucking nectar of the gods.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    what I can't figure out is how to remove the painfully hot metal cup and plate without burning myself and looking like a tourist.

Fingertips on either side of the flat bit that sits on top of the glass. You remove the lid first, put the lid on the table upside-down, then put the brewing device into the lid to catch any remaining drips. (also, if you find that the flow is getting too slow, undo the little threaded insert inside the device that's holding the grounds down; it'll loosen things up enough to get it started again).

Most restaurant supply stores should sell you these things (though possibly that's more because there's already a lot of Vietnamese restaurants around here).

Oh, and in Vietnam itself, watch out for the ice because chances of it having been made with clean water are not super high. We're still not sure if it was that or fruit that got us, but when my wife and I were there we were pretty sick for a while.

Cantido
    what I can't figure out is how to remove the painfully hot metal cup and plate without burning myself and looking like a tourist.

Fingertips on either side of the flat bit that sits on top of the glass. You remove the lid first, put the lid on the table upside-down, then put the brewing device into the lid to catch any remaining drips. (also, if you find that the flow is getting too slow, undo the little threaded insert inside the device that's holding the grounds down; it'll loosen things up enough to get it started again).

Most restaurant supply stores should sell you these things (though possibly that's more because there's already a lot of Vietnamese restaurants around here).

Oh, and in Vietnam itself, watch out for the ice because chances of it having been made with clean water are not super high. We're still not sure if it was that or fruit that got us, but when my wife and I were there we were pretty sick for a while.

I forgot about the ice. I came back with a persistent cough that sent me home from work for two days. Virus like syptoms but no fever. I didn't matter because I was in agony all night checking my temperature.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My wife got me a bag each of the milk chocolate and caramel of these things and they are good, and also lethal (1 is 50mg of caffeine, self control is imperative).

HlfyR3nl.jpg

SorcecabsyCantido
    I just ordered my first Burr Grinder, and I arrived back in the states, beans in tow. Fine-grinding the Vietnamese beans is in fact overkill. A course grind is sufficient for the brewing cup. I'll be experimenting with different grinds and different brewing devices once my kitchen goods arrive tomorrow.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    @Pimento and I went camping on the weekend. And we both brought coffee stuff along.

I pre-weighed my beans and threw them in some origami boxes. A porlex grinder and an aeropress. It worked really well! We had someone else bring the kettle, but in the future I want to get my own Jetboil Sol to have my own water system in the future.

Ross on the other hand, had a bothersome thing called a job that allowed him not to pack and prep stuff. So he brought along a tin of beans, and a scale which is fair enough.

But he also packed along this monstrosity.

presso-hand-powered-espresso-maker-1.jpg

AbracadanieldjmitchellaCantidocabsyMadEddy
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    For some reason there was a crazy 80% price drop on Amazon.ca a few days ago for the Baratza 586 Virtuoso burr grinder, so I snagged one and it is incoming.

So... excited!

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    MadEddy
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Pimento and I went camping on the weekend. And we both brought coffee stuff along.

I pre-weighed my beans and threw them in some origami boxes. A porlex grinder and an aeropress. It worked really well! We had someone else bring the kettle, but in the future I want to get my own Jetboil Sol to have my own water system in the future.

Ross on the other hand, had a bothersome thing called a job that allowed him not to pack and prep stuff. So he brought along a tin of beans, and a scale which is fair enough.

But he also packed along this monstrosity.
    presso-hand-powered-espresso-maker-1.jpg

Yes I did and by gum I'd do it again. Also if I had timed it right I'd probably have just brung a jar of cold drip, but I ended up drinking it all before we left.

Besides, it's not a monster, it's just misunderstood. Also mine is a ROK brand, but seems to be exactly the same as that one.

I tasted Turkish coffee before I left Korea.

It was...ok. It is served unfiltered, with the grounds sitting in the bottom of the cup like mud. Its almost an espresso shot worth of coffee.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i had nitrogenated coffee for the first time on the weekend. it was pretty damn good - i'll definitely have another one. for me it still doesn't beat a pour-over, but it's on par with a really good cold drip served over ice, just a bit different. the head gives it a creaminess which lifts out a few different notes. plus it's fun.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    How well do those espresso monstrosities work? I've looked at them before, and while I probably wouldn't actually get one, they are currently my top pick for if I ever did get an espresso maker of some sort based on their aesthetic alone

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I don't care for Turkish coffee; it's like an extreme version of french press, and I can't get over the 'thick' feeling on the tongue.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    I am sincerely hoping I can score a can or two of Stumptown's nitro cold brew at PAX.

GethCantido
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    Coworker brought these bad boys in to work today.

It was like bad coffee in gelatin form, and an aftertaste that never goes away.

I guess it worked, though, since I haven't fallen asleep at my desk.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    How well do those espresso monstrosities work? I've looked at them before, and while I probably wouldn't actually get one, they are currently my top pick for if I ever did get an espresso maker of some sort based on their aesthetic alone

It's pretty good, it doesn't have the consistant pressure that a proper machine would have but it's a lot cheaper and more fun. Combined with freshly ground decent beans it's both fun and tasty, and if you make coffee for other folk coming through the theatre makes it worth the while.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried the official Bodum cold press coffeemaker? It looks like it's not available in the US any more, but I'd swear I saw it (or something just like it) advertised when I was in the UK recently.

Oh, no, here we go; it's OXO that make it. Looks like a neat idea, though I'm not sure how much better it would be than using a regular french press and filtering afterwards to remove extra grounds.

Blake T
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    For some reason there was a crazy 80% price drop on Amazon.ca a few days ago for the Baratza 586 Virtuoso burr grinder, so I snagged one and it is incoming.

So... excited!

The third party seller cancelled and said there had been a "pricing error". Booooooooooooooooooooo.

(This wasn't being listed for just a dollar or anything, so it was well within the probable discount range. Disgruntled feedback about the storefront ahoy!)

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I need to get a better grinder and more beans.

I want to switch to coffee from soda for my caffeine fix.

edited August 2015
    My Burr Grinder arrived early.

I immediately cleaned it, popped open my vacuum sealed Vietnamese Weasel beans and set the device to Fine for my Espresso machine.

The espresso came out with a light discoloration that stayed at the top and darkened over time (think Guinness.) The coffee was so delicious and without bitterness that it did not need sugar. I put a clip on the bag and put the beans in the refridgerator. Its not ideal but I also put the unused espresso grounds in a Ziplock bag for quick morning access (I'm not picky and time is precious to me.)

Cantido on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Don't put beans in the refrigerator.

NoisymunkCormacAbracadanieldjmitchellaShazkar ShadowstormdarleysamDouglasDanger
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Refrigerators are also dehydrators.

Sorce
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    the coffee shop that is literally in my backyard just got Nitro this week.

gonna go give that a shot

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    Abracadaniel
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    This is a caffeine thread, not a coffee thread, so here is the answer to all caffeine questions. Spider Energy Drink. I have only found it at Harris Teeter stores. The 'Lighter Spider' is 10 calories, tastes like regular orange soda, and has 240mg of caffeine per can, plus 1000mg taurine, and some other stuff. Also, it only costs $1 per can. This stuff has probably kept me from crashing into a guardrail on more than 1 occasion.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I had an orange NOS the other day when my air conditioning broke and I needed to stay awake for the dude to get here to fix it after not being able to sleep in the heat.

It was insanely sweet, to the point of being actually disgusting, which I didn't know was possible.

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    CangoFett wrote: »
    This is a caffeine thread, not a coffee thread, so here is the answer to all caffeine questions. Spider Energy Drink. I have only found it at Harris Teeter stores. The 'Lighter Spider' is 10 calories, tastes like regular orange soda, and has 240mg of caffeine per can, plus 1000mg taurine, and some other stuff. Also, it only costs $1 per can. This stuff has probably kept me from crashing into a guardrail on more than 1 occasion.

240mg per can? hot damn thats a lot

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    TallahasseerielSorcebsjezz

Damn. I took the beans out this morning. I didn't fly those bad boys from Vietnam to destroy them. But all I have to preserve the beans in the now-open bag is a chip clip.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Damn. I took the beans out this morning. I didn't fly those bad boys from Vietnam to destroy them. But all I have to preserve the beans in the now-open bag is a chip clip.

Put them in a different container that can be properly sealed?

I typically use a mason jar, which probably isn't ideal but definitely works better than the bag they came in

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Tupperware containers are air-tight.

pimento
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Rockstar Zero Punched tastes almost exactly like Hawaiian punch, if anyone's into that.

DouglasDanger
    edited August 2015
    Don't stick them in something air tight either.

Here is essentially what happens after roasting and what you need to do to keep your beans in tip top condition.

After roasting beans continue to release carbon dioxide (the de gassing phase), once they release gas they are then more susceptible to absorbing other gasses (namely oxygen) which change the flavour due to oxidisation, this is what causes the stale flavour. So as the beans degass they essentially they can push away all of the oxygen leaving you with protected beans.

To protect the flavour of the beans the target is to keep beans away from oxygen, which logically does call for an air tight container. But due to degassing this over pressurises the container and causes it to burst. This is why most bags that house beans have one way valves in them. If you have fresh beans in one of those bags and you press the air out and you leave it overnight, it will reinflate but not explode.

Beans should also be kept somewhere dry and cool, so again, with those parameters a fridge does seem like a good idea. And as one way trip, it does help preserve the beans from oxidising. But that isn't how we use beans, we take the full bag of coffee out of the fridge, use some and put the bag back in. This is what the issue is, the temperature differential causes condensation on the beans, which again promotes oxidisation and ruins your bean. Additionally, fridges are essentially odour buffets so if any air does penetrate your bag, shit goes south real fast.

Theoretically, if you first divided your beans into individual servings, stored them in one way valved bags in the fridge, it would be a solid way of storage, but that's impractical.

After all that though, no matter what, you are going to be opening your beans again and again and when you open them and pour out beans, you are mixing around your stable Carbon Dioxide, with the outside oxygen. The best way to store the beans is just in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight where you don't move them an awful lot. So as long as your kitchen counter doesn't get direct sunlight it is fine, if it does then your pantry is better, but I'm lazy. And the best container is usually what they came in, but a chip clip is probably not the worst thing to keep the beans in.

Blake T on
    djmitchellaAbracadanielpimentoDonovan PuppyfuckercabsyCantido
    edited August 2015
    I use a canister designed specifically for beans, an Airscape, and it has a built in valve to handle degassing. Comes in different sizes and has been well worth it.

Abracadaniel on